Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
What a mean grumpy old sod 07:35 - May 10 with 2349 viewsSwaneeRiver

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/villagers-condemned-slow-broadband-because-114136140.h
So, just because he can, he makes everyone else in his locality suffer.
I bet he's the life and soul !
What a mean grumpy old sod on 08:37 - May 10 with 2294 viewsWarwickHunt

"The whole thing has caused my wife and I immense stress and I thought I was going to drop down dead at one point.”

However, what the f*ck is it doing in his garden in the first place?
What a mean grumpy old sod on 09:44 - May 10 with 2245 viewsunion_jack

What a mean grumpy old sod on 08:37 - May 10 by WarwickHunt

"The whole thing has caused my wife and I immense stress and I thought I was going to drop down dead at one point.”

Maybe he has adversely possessed land or his title deeds say otherwise.

I believe he should get paid way-leave if it is on his land though.

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

What a mean grumpy old sod on 10:52 - May 10 with 2194 viewsswanjackal

What a mean grumpy old sod on 08:37 - May 10 by WarwickHunt

Wouldn't what he mentioned in that quote solve the problem then? I mean he is 79.....neighbours have been found buying excess nitroglycerin recently. Interesting times.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hypocritically hypocritical !

What a mean grumpy old sod on 13:08 - May 10 with 2127 viewsJohnw102

At the beginning of this story I thought the the old man needed to get a life. After listening to his point of view, I've changed mine. He is right. He is just trying to get BT to do the right thing and put a new box somewhere much safer. Why should he allow them to lower the value of his home. He's rightly being very stubborn. How many of the neighbours would be happy to have that on their land. On Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show sounds like a lot of the village are backing him. There is another BT Box on public land about 100yards away.

Never knew getting old would happen so quick!

What a mean grumpy old sod on 13:22 - May 10 with 2108 viewsdickythorpe

BT are Wahnkhers so if he's causing them stress then great
What a mean grumpy old sod on 13:35 - May 10 with 2093 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Looking at the photos in the article both the Village sign and the BT box look like they are on the grass verge. His house looks fairly new I guess it was built after BT box and he has some how claimed the land as his. Goes back to the days when BT was part of the GPO and was a government department.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

What a mean grumpy old sod on 13:57 - May 10 with 2069 viewsLord_Bony

Why the feck don't BT engineers use common sense for once.

They should do the job when the grumpy old trout is fast asleep in bed with the minimum of fuss.

If he complains then send him a large bill for having to work unsociable hours.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

What a mean grumpy old sod on 14:27 - May 10 with 2038 viewslifelong

What a mean grumpy old sod on 13:08 - May 10 by Johnw102

At the beginning of this story I thought the the old man needed to get a life. After listening to his point of view, I've changed mine. He is right. He is just trying to get BT to do the right thing and put a new box somewhere much safer. Why should he allow them to lower the value of his home. He's rightly being very stubborn. How many of the neighbours would be happy to have that on their land. On Radio 2 Jeremy Vine show sounds like a lot of the village are backing him. There is another BT Box on public land about 100yards away.

I agree. Listened to him on Radio 2 earlier, he sounded a very intelligent and articulate elderly gent, also, what has already been said, wtf is that hub doing on his land in the first place?
Login to get fewer ads

What a mean grumpy old sod on 14:43 - May 10 with 2012 viewsfather_jack

what a c u next tuesday.

DRINK, FECK, GIRRRRLLSSS!

What a mean grumpy old sod on 15:52 - May 10 with 1972 viewspikeypaul

So the box is on his land and no one is allowed to walk on his land what a massive problem in life having someone walk on your land for all of 30 minutes would be.

I bet he has not got or had cancer or other serious medical conditions things like someone walking on your land become very trivial and you realise not worth worrying about if you did.

Pathetic old man kicking up a fuss and depriving a village of broadband because he does not want someone on his land.

You would swear he was the Duke of Westminster with all this "my land" shite.

My land = little garden in housing estate FFS

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

What a mean grumpy old sod on 15:59 - May 10 with 1963 viewsblueytheblue

What a mean grumpy old sod on 15:52 - May 10 by pikeypaul

So the box is on his land and no one is allowed to walk on his land what a massive problem in life having someone walk on your land for all of 30 minutes would be.

I bet he has not got or had cancer or other serious medical conditions things like someone walking on your land become very trivial and you realise not worth worrying about if you did.

Pathetic old man kicking up a fuss and depriving a village of broadband because he does not want someone on his land.

You would swear he was the Duke of Westminster with all this "my land" shite.

My land = little garden in housing estate FFS

Even better, he has good broadband - his house is connected to a different box.

Poll: Alternate POTY final

What a mean grumpy old sod on 16:01 - May 10 with 1960 viewsloughor_jack

As an ex BT engineer myself, the solution should be to divert the cables feeding that cabinet to a new one on the pavement nearby. It is vital that we access these cabs to connect new customers weather it be for fibre or just a simple Pstn line. We also go there to test and measure any faults that exist on a phone line. As far as way leaves are concerned, people had a choice in the past. Either they had a one off payment or a very small annual payment that would guarantee the engineers legal access to the plant whenever it was required. That could be underground plant or poles in gardens or fields. But over time, people die or move and the agreements get forgotten about. I've had people complain at me for asking permission to get to something many times over the years but they are usually pretty good about it when they realise that I am just trying to help somebody get their phone working again. I can understand this guy being upset as its so far onto his land and engineers walking to it all the time will cause a muddy path to it. But the cables feeding it will first go through a carriageway or footway box before they are terminated in the cab. They can easily be diverted by pulling in new cables to a new position on the pavement nearby.

What a mean grumpy old sod on 16:25 - May 10 with 1941 viewsfbreath

What a mean grumpy old sod on 16:01 - May 10 by loughor_jack

As an ex BT engineer myself, the solution should be to divert the cables feeding that cabinet to a new one on the pavement nearby. It is vital that we access these cabs to connect new customers weather it be for fibre or just a simple Pstn line. We also go there to test and measure any faults that exist on a phone line. As far as way leaves are concerned, people had a choice in the past. Either they had a one off payment or a very small annual payment that would guarantee the engineers legal access to the plant whenever it was required. That could be underground plant or poles in gardens or fields. But over time, people die or move and the agreements get forgotten about. I've had people complain at me for asking permission to get to something many times over the years but they are usually pretty good about it when they realise that I am just trying to help somebody get their phone working again. I can understand this guy being upset as its so far onto his land and engineers walking to it all the time will cause a muddy path to it. But the cables feeding it will first go through a carriageway or footway box before they are terminated in the cab. They can easily be diverted by pulling in new cables to a new position on the pavement nearby.

Depends which route the UG multicore and subs cables run. If the wrong direction they would not be long enough. This would mean lots of joints and a manhole in place of the current cabinet.
Can you imagine how much a manhole cover would devalue his house
[Post edited 10 May 2016 16:26]

We are the first Welsh club to reach the Premier League Simples

What a mean grumpy old sod on 16:56 - May 10 with 1908 viewsloughor_jack

What a mean grumpy old sod on 16:25 - May 10 by fbreath

Depends which route the UG multicore and subs cables run. If the wrong direction they would not be long enough. This would mean lots of joints and a manhole in place of the current cabinet.
Can you imagine how much a manhole cover would devalue his house
[Post edited 10 May 2016 16:26]

Not at all. One of the photos show what looks like a single lid box at the foot of the cabinet. To me it looks like it might be a man hole which is a few meters deep. Plenty of room to cut back the cables (e sides), "tee in " the new cable then cut away the old. Making the cabinet obsolete. It could also be a multi lid box (overgrown by grass) which would be much shallower. Maybe just one meter deep. Either way the new cables would already be pulled through the duct, underground to the new position. If access was even refused to the manhole then new duct can be buried in the pavement between boxes farther away from this cab. Cables do not need to be accessed at this position. They can be diverted hundreds of meters from the cab if required it just costs more to do. The subs cables (d sides) are no bigger than one hundred pair cables at the foot of the cab. Very easy to work on and can be lengthened or shortened as required. It's a big job but nothing that can't be handled.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024