Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fabianski 09:40 - Oct 2 with 1673 viewsjacabertawe

Not a general criticism of his performances, which are usually excellent, but has he ever saved a penalty? Watching him in his Poland matches as well as ours, he never seems to be in with a chance.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2016 9:42]

Britishness...is a political synonym for Englishness which extends English culture over the Scots, the Welsh, and the Irish. - Gwynfor Evans

Fabianski on 09:43 - Oct 2 with 1649 viewsPaddyJack

Leicester away, just a few games ago
Fabianski on 09:55 - Oct 2 with 1629 viewsImAlrightJack

Goes down too early by the looks of things, so thus sells himself short.

At least myself and my other half both have another thing in common; we both support teams with goalkeepers who cannot save penalties. Her team is Ajax and their keeper has never saved one in his life, yet Van Gaal relied on him to take the Netherlands to the WC Final, instead of replacing him with Vorm or Kruul just before ET ended, which he did against Costa Rica in the quarter final. That stupidity alone should have got the Red Tribe worried before the season started.

Wouldn't surprise me if Guido does the same with Fab in a shootout, all despite having a keeper on the bench who can stop them, that's WHEN and IF we actually get one by the time that happens.
Fabianski on 10:03 - Oct 2 with 1607 viewssherpajacob

Fabianski on 09:55 - Oct 2 by ImAlrightJack

Goes down too early by the looks of things, so thus sells himself short.

At least myself and my other half both have another thing in common; we both support teams with goalkeepers who cannot save penalties. Her team is Ajax and their keeper has never saved one in his life, yet Van Gaal relied on him to take the Netherlands to the WC Final, instead of replacing him with Vorm or Kruul just before ET ended, which he did against Costa Rica in the quarter final. That stupidity alone should have got the Red Tribe worried before the season started.

Wouldn't surprise me if Guido does the same with Fab in a shootout, all despite having a keeper on the bench who can stop them, that's WHEN and IF we actually get one by the time that happens.

I think van gaal had already used all his subs in the wc semi, otherwise he would have changed him.

Big Ron used to say in penalty shootouts the goalie shouldn't stay still as at least one always goes down the middle.

Fab should have come and claimed barrows clearance as he should have done with Fernandez against Chelsea, cost us two vital goals. Roger would have taken control of both situations.

Fab is still a great keeper, but he needs to work.on a few things.

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Fabianski on 10:39 - Oct 2 with 1562 viewsPhil_S

Wasn't there some statistical analysis some years ago that if a keeper stood up to every penalty they would save more than they would conceded

But can you imagine the reaction to the ones that they did concede
Fabianski on 10:41 - Oct 2 with 1547 views3swan

Fabianski on 10:39 - Oct 2 by Phil_S

Wasn't there some statistical analysis some years ago that if a keeper stood up to every penalty they would save more than they would conceded

But can you imagine the reaction to the ones that they did concede

Maybe it's time for some people at the club to stand up
Fabianski on 10:41 - Oct 2 with 1547 viewsPhil_S

Fabianski has saved 6 of 29 penalties faced in his career

As a comparison Vorm has saved 8 of 35
Fabianski on 10:43 - Oct 2 with 1533 viewsdickythorpe

Without Fab we'd be losing by more! Penalties are a lottery.
Fabianski on 10:49 - Oct 2 with 1513 viewsA_Fans_Dad

One answer is to sell the taker with a dummy, most strikers delay their run up and kick until the goalie starts to move. So if the goalie takes a small step and then comes back he can stop the central shot and still reach close shots, but can't make those spectacular saves where they do guess right and reach the ones in the corner.

I agree Fab does not "Command" his box enough, it is his biggest weakness, even worse than his sometimes panicky kicks out when defenders put him under real pressure with inappropriate back passes.
I blame Robert's coaching, Fab definitely went a bit backwards when he coame here.
[Post edited 2 Oct 2016 10:50]
Login to get fewer ads

Fabianski on 10:49 - Oct 2 with 1511 viewsWhiterockin

Fabianski on 10:43 - Oct 2 by dickythorpe

Without Fab we'd be losing by more! Penalties are a lottery.

TBH the first couple of games this season we were lucky not to concede more penalties.
Fabianski on 23:13 - Oct 2 with 1320 viewsPegojack

Fabianski on 10:49 - Oct 2 by A_Fans_Dad

One answer is to sell the taker with a dummy, most strikers delay their run up and kick until the goalie starts to move. So if the goalie takes a small step and then comes back he can stop the central shot and still reach close shots, but can't make those spectacular saves where they do guess right and reach the ones in the corner.

I agree Fab does not "Command" his box enough, it is his biggest weakness, even worse than his sometimes panicky kicks out when defenders put him under real pressure with inappropriate back passes.
I blame Robert's coaching, Fab definitely went a bit backwards when he coame here.

Agree with the first paragraph 100%. It seems to be 'fashionable' these days to hit penalties down the middle. Our last two conceded were straight down the middle. I'd like to see Fab feign a dive then stand up. I'm sure he'd save one out of three or four like that.
Fabianski on 23:16 - Oct 2 with 1312 viewsmorningstar

Fabianski on 09:43 - Oct 2 by PaddyJack

Leicester away, just a few games ago

Only winner of Planetswans Petulant Diva award.
Poll: Southampton home next. How many points

Fabianski on 23:17 - Oct 2 with 1307 viewsmonmouth

Fabianski on 23:13 - Oct 2 by Pegojack

Agree with the first paragraph 100%. It seems to be 'fashionable' these days to hit penalties down the middle. Our last two conceded were straight down the middle. I'd like to see Fab feign a dive then stand up. I'm sure he'd save one out of three or four like that.

Now that would have been funny, because he could just have caught both of them easily and made the penalty taker look a total arse. he could have stood there with the ball and laughed in their faces.

Got to be worth a try just in case it does come off, given the fashion to chip it down the middle now.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Fabianski on 23:35 - Oct 2 with 1273 viewsJackBaston

Personally his distribution is a massive problem
Yesterday annoyed me massively when there was so many short balls available and he was just lump it upfield and we'd lose possession
But he's been one of our best performers this season so maybe too early for us to swap his for Nordy
Fabianski on 00:09 - Oct 3 with 1220 viewsWarwickHunt

Fabianski on 10:49 - Oct 2 by A_Fans_Dad

Robert who?
Fabianski on 00:16 - Oct 3 with 1206 viewsDarran

Fabianski on 00:09 - Oct 3 by WarwickHunt

Robert who?

Oh for FFS why do you hate those stupid little upstairs commas so much ya tw^t?

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Fabianski on 07:13 - Oct 3 with 1072 viewsSwaneeRiver

TBH I don't know why he doesn't just stand tall and hope that the taker makes the mistake of blasting it too near the middle or aiming wide or high and missing.
Fab is on a hiding to nothing anyway, so he may as well give himself a chance
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024