Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tony Fernadez tweet 19:13 - Dec 30 with 12587 viewshorshamHoop

Tony Fernandes ‏@tonyfernandes 1h1 hour ago
Out of the blue Harry Redknapp called. Said we played well against Brighton. Never was sending off. Rare for ex manager to call. Decent.

I enjoyed the attacking play in the first half but as in Northern's report, defensively we were all over the place. Never a sending off apart from in the ref and the appeal committe's opinion - poor old Ned is so out of form and luck.

I had a seat right on the split with the home fans and boy were they quiet and didn't the boys around me let them know - too used to winning maybe but apart from a couple of foul mouthed idiots it was all fun and good natured.

Dave Mcintyre has it right in us being a mid table team on a terrible run - pretty sure we will not go down - Happy New year
Tony Fernadez tweet on 23:39 - Dec 31 with 1897 viewsjohncharles

Tony Fernadez tweet on 22:42 - Dec 31 by thame_hoops

Been going since 1985, several posters here can vouch that, also been posting here since 2002..., nobody and I mean NOBODY was complaining when redknapp was manger except for after promotion people wanted him to step down.... this forum was full of people wanting new signings consistently...

Nobody and I mean nobody.......etc. That's complete bollox mate and pretty insulting.

Strong and stable my arse.

Tony Fernadez tweet on 23:45 - Dec 31 with 1886 viewsthame_hoops

Tony Fernadez tweet on 23:39 - Dec 31 by johncharles

Nobody and I mean nobody.......etc. That's complete bollox mate and pretty insulting.

What I meant, badly worded, lots of people here were happy at harry spending money willy nilly, don't get so insulted, happy new year x
Tony Fernadez tweet on 23:52 - Dec 31 with 1858 viewsShotKneesHoop

To be fair to Thame Hoops, he did text -

"nobody and I mean NOBODY was complaining when redknapp was manger"

As in "dog in a manger" I presume that was Rosie - or his "financial adviser" as Rednobb can't read, write, add, up ........... or tell the truth.

Happy new year to all those long suffering sods that have a disease called "QPR fan"

Fourth from bottom would do me at the end of the season, as long as they cleaned the place out of the wasters.

I must be a sad phoookah, 11.53 pm 31st December and I'm still on LFW!
[Post edited 31 Dec 2016 23:53]

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Tony Fernadez tweet on 01:12 - Jan 1 with 1763 viewsderbyhoop

Tony Fernadez tweet on 13:20 - Dec 31 by isawqpratwcity

You can't really say that we were past saving from relegation when he was appointed. It was only the 24th November, hardly a foregone conclusion.

And then we were relegated, which you might think vindicates your argument, but we were then immediately re-promoted, which Tony probably thinks vindicates Redknapp's appointment.

Everything is much easier with hindsight. But at the time, without a DoF, who was Tony going to get counsel from about Hughes' replacement?

You're wrong about Fernandes' worst moment. That came in early 2015. It was about the time when Redknapp had just been told that there wasn't a big pile of money in the transfer window to try to buy him safety from relegation. It was about when Redknapp waited for the window to close before saying 'It's all yours, chaps, I'm off!'. It was when he realised that the 'buy a reputation and you buy success' policy was bankrupt, and that the extra he'd paid to buy a Premier club, plus the hundreds of millions of pounds he'd spunked on inflated fees and salaries was all going down the toilet, and was going to drag a lot more good money after bad. That was his worst moment.

With that behind him, he and Les sat down and drew up that plan to change our policy and build our future. It's still a work in progress.

Sorry mate, but I did think we were certainties for relegation around the time Hughes got sacked. We'd just lost 3-1 at home to Southampton in one of the most spineless performances seen at Loftus Road. That is quite a claim.

It would have been better, with hindsight, to have embarked on our current path, at that point.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tony Fernadez tweet on 02:13 - Jan 1 with 1723 viewsDylanP

The one thing that remains consistent about QPR fans is that eventually they hate every manager we have ever and every chairman we have ever had. Oh, and they always know best and their hindsight is always 20-20-er than anyone elses.

Poll: Who is the Best QPR Chairman in the last 25 Years?

Tony Fernadez tweet on 02:38 - Jan 1 with 1696 viewsPunteR

Tony Fernadez tweet on 02:13 - Jan 1 by DylanP

The one thing that remains consistent about QPR fans is that eventually they hate every manager we have ever and every chairman we have ever had. Oh, and they always know best and their hindsight is always 20-20-er than anyone elses.

Well if you can predict the score than football still has a few surprises up its sleeve

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Tony Fernadez tweet on 03:14 - Jan 1 with 1676 viewsMrNITK

Tony Fernadez tweet on 08:05 - Dec 31 by Lblock

What that day at Wembley where Candle Face was thinking about what golf clubs he was going to join next season? Or was it which club he could siphon some Sandbanks flood defence funding from whilst massaging his ego? The game where Clint Hill made the key tactical change? The one where all the motivation stuff was done by Barton and his mind bending guru?
That game?

That slag did nothing for this club, nothing. Even Charlie Austin was a fluke and he was way down his list of targets

May a pox be upon him

I think someone's been listening to Clive posts, reports etc.

It's almost as bad as those Daily Mail readers!! 😉😘😘
Tony Fernadez tweet on 04:29 - Jan 1 with 1639 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tony Fernadez tweet on 01:12 - Jan 1 by derbyhoop

Sorry mate, but I did think we were certainties for relegation around the time Hughes got sacked. We'd just lost 3-1 at home to Southampton in one of the most spineless performances seen at Loftus Road. That is quite a claim.

It would have been better, with hindsight, to have embarked on our current path, at that point.

So in November you thought we were certainties for relegation. A new manager couldn't make any difference. Any manager, not necessarily Redknapp, even with a transfer window and a very obliging Chairman. That's is either very prescient or very pessimistic.

Of course, your prediction turned out to be correct. How about the promotion the next season, that doesn't vindicate Tony's course of action in your eyes at all?

Anybody can make an informed decision with hindsight. I bet Tony thought 'Thank Christ I got Hughes in' at 6pm, 13/5/12 (after the City game), and 'Thank Christ I got Redknapp in' at 6pm, 24/5/14 (Wembley), but he'd probably still prefer to do things differently if he had the chance.

I wonder what he'd do if he had the chance to revisit his decision to buy the club. Aaah, the joys of idle speculation.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

Login to get fewer ads

Tony Fernadez tweet on 06:54 - Jan 1 with 1602 viewsLadbrokeR

They way he set up v Wigan was clever. What happened at Wembley was largely down to hill.
Tony Fernadez tweet on 10:03 - Jan 1 with 1524 viewsrbsranger

I still find it remarkable how the accepted wisdom is that we were as good as down when Hughes was sacked. I guess people missed Leicester's run out of the relegation places that year, or Sunderland's runs in other years. He had over half a season to keep us up and a shit load of money. All he did was rape us and help us get relegated. Promotion season the following year was wholly reliant on passing to Charlie and hoping he scored (look how we almost fell apart when he got injured). Harry deserves nothing but a punch in the face and he is all about self-interest so it is clear he thinks he can make a buck off TF again now, hence the phone call.
I actually hate him more than Hughes...
Tony Fernadez tweet on 10:11 - Jan 1 with 1507 viewsjohncharles

I quite liked Dave Sexton

Strong and stable my arse.

Tony Fernadez tweet on 10:38 - Jan 1 with 1457 viewsderbyhoop

Tony Fernadez tweet on 04:29 - Jan 1 by isawqpratwcity

So in November you thought we were certainties for relegation. A new manager couldn't make any difference. Any manager, not necessarily Redknapp, even with a transfer window and a very obliging Chairman. That's is either very prescient or very pessimistic.

Of course, your prediction turned out to be correct. How about the promotion the next season, that doesn't vindicate Tony's course of action in your eyes at all?

Anybody can make an informed decision with hindsight. I bet Tony thought 'Thank Christ I got Hughes in' at 6pm, 13/5/12 (after the City game), and 'Thank Christ I got Redknapp in' at 6pm, 24/5/14 (Wembley), but he'd probably still prefer to do things differently if he had the chance.

I wonder what he'd do if he had the chance to revisit his decision to buy the club. Aaah, the joys of idle speculation.

Sadly I did believe we were going down at the end of November. It was the abject surrender at home to Southampton that convinced me that our lot didn't have the stomach for the fight. Of course, an exceptional manager might have worked a miracle, but we ended up with a washed up Redknapp.
Neither will I give him much credit for getting promoted via the playoffs, even if it did give many of us the best day we've ever had supporting Rangers. As Clive has said, on many occasions, the amount we spent, promotion should have been guaranteed, not scraped.

Still it's a game of opinions, so last word on this from me, andHappy New Year to all Rs fans.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Tony Fernadez tweet on 10:43 - Jan 1 with 1441 viewsShotKneesHoop

Tony Fernadez tweet on 10:03 - Jan 1 by rbsranger

I still find it remarkable how the accepted wisdom is that we were as good as down when Hughes was sacked. I guess people missed Leicester's run out of the relegation places that year, or Sunderland's runs in other years. He had over half a season to keep us up and a shit load of money. All he did was rape us and help us get relegated. Promotion season the following year was wholly reliant on passing to Charlie and hoping he scored (look how we almost fell apart when he got injured). Harry deserves nothing but a punch in the face and he is all about self-interest so it is clear he thinks he can make a buck off TF again now, hence the phone call.

Someone should run a poll on QPR's most hated manager. Rednobb would win that by a country mile, then Hughes. Docherty, Mullery, Hart, Harford don't come near those two.

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Tony Fernadez tweet on 11:27 - Jan 1 with 1379 viewsted_hendrix

Tony Fernadez tweet on 10:03 - Jan 1 by rbsranger

Excellent post and says almost everything needed.
At Yeovil I witnessed the fattest substitution in football history namely Niko fcking Kranjčar an absolute waste of valuable financial resources, I also witnessed us getting played of the park and thankfully Charlie Austin yet again rescuing us by scoring the undeserved winner.
When Charlie Austin was injured we were in trouble, when he did return at Bournemouth you could see he was 'off the pace' as was always the case when he returned from injury and yea we got beat.
How we got promoted that season is anybody's guess, the first away game at WHL the following season was an absolute joke, we were totally unprepared at the back and relentlessly pulled apart by Spurs, we were embarrassing that day on the pitch and you knew full well that it was going to be a long hard and unsuccessful season, sitting next to the Spurs fans singing 'arry give us a wave' was a ball breaker, that's the only time during the game that he actually done something from the bench, he gave the khunts a wave (bastard).

Redknapp is nowhere near Hughes when it comes to Management nowhere near at all.
He's a footballing con merchant of the highest order and what pisses me off more than anything is the media in this country have this obsession with the bloke like he's some kind of star that the whole country loves to see and hear, he's not he's the most successful bluffer in the world of bluffery.

Redknapp actually makes my skin crawl.

Happy new year.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:01 - Jan 1 with 1337 viewsbaz_qpr

Tony Fernadez tweet on 08:05 - Dec 31 by Lblock

What that day at Wembley where Candle Face was thinking about what golf clubs he was going to join next season? Or was it which club he could siphon some Sandbanks flood defence funding from whilst massaging his ego? The game where Clint Hill made the key tactical change? The one where all the motivation stuff was done by Barton and his mind bending guru?
That game?

That slag did nothing for this club, nothing. Even Charlie Austin was a fluke and he was way down his list of targets

May a pox be upon him

What ever you think of Redknapp that bit about Austin is not true he spent two transfer windows wooing him and his family (tried to get him in the first relegation season January window) and he was always his top target
Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:04 - Jan 1 with 1333 views2Thomas2Bowles

Without CA that season we would likely have been around where we are now

Harry was cack but got the get out of jail card, he would have gone if we had not won the play off, should have gone anyway but hard to sack him at that point and he just saw another wad of money coming his way, a decent man would have gone out on that win, his ego and greed was why he stayed and when he left it was calculated to harm us in the only way he could.

No one believes the fecking knees bolx, that really showed his real colours.

I great day for R's fan's but should we really be grateful to harry for it.... NO

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:11 - Jan 1 with 1315 viewsbaz_qpr

Tony Fernadez tweet on 22:41 - Dec 31 by isawqpratwcity

A great post!

"A self-made mug is hard to break..." (Elvis Costello)

Tony is a business man, and thought that expertise was something you could buy off the shelf. He has found out that that is wrong. Your criticisms of the appointments of Beard, Hughes and Redknapp (and no DoF) are quite valid, but when it comes down to it, who do you trust? The more TF realised how much he didn't know about football, the more difficult the choices became. I am just glad that LF proved to be an amazingly lucky accident. Hoos deserves credit, too.

I don't see relegation as an automatic disaster: it could be, because SCMP might bite on contracts without relegation clauses, or the squad could completely lose motivation and under-perform, but hopefully we're better than that now.

I have enormous respect for your accusation that 'TF always twists'. I thought both Ramsey and Hasselbaink were sacked too early, and despite Les' statements, I suspect both those decisions came from TF, and lagely on the basis of indifferent (but not poor) performance and increasing supporter discontent (justified or not?). I also worry that both Les and Olly may be given similar short shrift, but it hasn't happened yet. TF doesn't always twist, but he also doesn't stick as long as he should. I think both his heart and head are in the right place; but I question his intestinal fortitude. I sympathise with, but don't endorse, your view that he hasn't changed, because I think he is trying. Just show some guts, Tony.

As an aside, I thought Warnock's Premier sacking was spot on, but only on the three premises that Warnock had clearly lost control of the team, that Premier status was something worth investing heavily in to retain, and that getting a competent replacement would not be difficult. Both Tony and I got the third one wrong.

Ramsey had lost the crowd (never really had it but it had turned) and Warnock lost him the dressing room. His position was untenable as he was unable to lead

JFH - They stood by through newspaper scandal but the bottom line was the crowds were down at levels we've not seen for 15+ years, the football was boring the pants of everyone, the kids were not wanting to come. They could have kept him but he was doing damage to the club and its long term viability.

I think in both cases they pulled the trigger at the right time, whether they were the right appointments is another matter
Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:39 - Jan 1 with 1268 viewsterryb

Tony Fernadez tweet on 22:42 - Dec 31 by thame_hoops

Been going since 1985, several posters here can vouch that, also been posting here since 2002..., nobody and I mean NOBODY was complaining when redknapp was manger except for after promotion people wanted him to step down.... this forum was full of people wanting new signings consistently...

Very much incorrect!

This NOBODY is very much on record as complaining about Redknapp. As are many others. Some of whom I know & some of whom I've just read their views.

Edit: I see this has been addressed & acknowledged after reading the posts that followed this.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2017 12:54]
Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:51 - Jan 1 with 1244 viewsterryb

I still really like many managers (and a couple of owners).

Alec Stock, Gordon Jago (my favourite), Dave Sexron, Don Howe, Gerry Francis in particular.

I also have fond regards (as opposed to hate) for Gary Waddock, Frank Sibley, Les Allen, Ian Holloway, Neil Warnock among others. As you will see, two of these are among the worst managerial appointments the club made & Allen left a lot to be desired.

Hindsight is bloody wonderful, but you know, ALL people (even those with contrary views) are corret sometimes!
Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:59 - Jan 1 with 1221 viewsterryb

Tony Fernadez tweet on 10:43 - Jan 1 by ShotKneesHoop

Someone should run a poll on QPR's most hated manager. Rednobb would win that by a country mile, then Hughes. Docherty, Mullery, Hart, Harford don't come near those two.

I can't quite agree with this shotknees.

I would have Redknapp in the number one position, but Docherty comes exceedingly close!

Both are miles ahead of my joint third of Mullery &Hughes.

Hate Harford & Hart? Certainly not. Very pleased the club terminated their employment (what other business would I write that about?) but lack of ability should not equate with hatred!
Tony Fernadez tweet on 13:05 - Jan 1 with 1206 viewscaliforniahoop

After thinking about this and realising TF is no fool, was this an attempt to put a rocket under LF and IH?
Tony Fernadez tweet on 13:22 - Jan 1 with 1180 viewsBrightonhoop

Tony Fernadez tweet on 13:05 - Jan 1 by californiahoop

After thinking about this and realising TF is no fool, was this an attempt to put a rocket under LF and IH?

Been waiting for this post CaliforniaHoop, and wondered in the clamour to stick a monkey wrench over TF's cranium re Arry, whether anyone else would wonder.....if so fck me it worked. Nothing like a bit of reverse psychology and the whiff of an ex-manager lurking to straighten backs and bring about results.
I've no evidence that it is so. I was concernrd at Ollie mind, having defended him to hilt then and now, that he allowed himself to be baited by Albion supporters re his palace days and responding to it in the press....a dignified silence would have been more powerful. Not the Ollie we know.
Cannot think of any other reason TF would have made public a fone call with that tw4t Redknapp.

Anyway we got 3 points and a win away, heads didn't drop because we did not concede first and went ahead twice and WON! Happier days, maybe.

Happy New Year all.
[Post edited 1 Jan 2017 13:24]
Tony Fernadez tweet on 13:28 - Jan 1 with 1156 viewsNorthernr

Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:01 - Jan 1 by baz_qpr

What ever you think of Redknapp that bit about Austin is not true he spent two transfer windows wooing him and his family (tried to get him in the first relegation season January window) and he was always his top target

Gary Hooper was his top target, we only ended up with Austin because he didn't get him.
Tony Fernadez tweet on 14:11 - Jan 1 with 1106 viewsJamie

Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:01 - Jan 1 by baz_qpr

Eh? Austin was going to Forest until we came in at the last second and blew them out of the water wages wise to turn his head.
Tony Fernadez tweet on 14:13 - Jan 1 with 1653 viewsisawqpratwcity

Tony Fernadez tweet on 12:11 - Jan 1 by baz_qpr

Ramsey had lost the crowd (never really had it but it had turned) and Warnock lost him the dressing room. His position was untenable as he was unable to lead

JFH - They stood by through newspaper scandal but the bottom line was the crowds were down at levels we've not seen for 15+ years, the football was boring the pants of everyone, the kids were not wanting to come. They could have kept him but he was doing damage to the club and its long term viability.

I think in both cases they pulled the trigger at the right time, whether they were the right appointments is another matter

"lost the crowd"
"unable to lead"
"crowds were down"
"football was boring"

And not a word about how the team was, in both cases, actually performing. Because the answer is, in both cases, 'not bad'.

Poll: Deaths of Thatcher and Mandela this year: Sad or Glad?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024