Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
New York 15:31 - Feb 7 with 7156 viewsCorbyQPR

I'm off to New York (first time we've been) with the other half in early March, anyone who's been got any ideas on must sees or best places to eat?
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 15:37]
New York on 15:41 - Feb 7 with 6359 viewsMaggsinho

It's a great place, a few of my favourites for a first time visit:

Walk the High Line
Go up to the top of the Rockefeller Centre - less crowded than the Empire State building and you can see it from the top of the Rock
Walk across Manhattan Bridge to Brooklyn
Ellis Island
Tenement Museum
If you're there on a Friday night you can have drinks on the roof of the Natural History museum overlooking Central Park.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 15:44]
New York on 15:43 - Feb 7 with 6354 viewsloftboy

I'm going in April for a week,joint.50th birthday celebration, haven't.worked out an.itinerary yet.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

New York on 15:52 - Feb 7 with 6329 viewsBrightonhoop

Staten Island Ferry is the best free public transport in the world, amazing views.
I liked China Town, just follow the locals for food, same with little Italy.
And Applebys for soul food in Harlem is great too.
New York on 15:56 - Feb 7 with 6306 viewsthame_hoops

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/177968/new-york-ti

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/165613/new-york/#.

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/forum/125202/new-york/#.
New York on 16:03 - Feb 7 with 6289 viewsjohnswiltsqpr

I went this time last year with my wife,

Echo top of the rock beats the empire state for views
The island ferry very very good and free
walk across Brooklyn Bridge was great and we had Pizza in Grimaldies (spelling) recommended by friends and was not disappointed but be prepared to queue.
There is a great Thai restaurant can't remember the name but if it's you thing then I'll ask my wife, she keeps mementos of everywhere so she will know.
great roof top bar called 35th street? great views but bloody cold up there.
The roof top bar at the Marriot near Macys has a great Jazz singer on a Friday and brilliant beers on draught

There is so much to do there. I can't wait to go back myself.
New York on 16:22 - Feb 7 with 6258 viewspeejaybee

Which Airport are you flying into.?

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

New York on 16:26 - Feb 7 with 6246 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I missed this last time I went. Apparently it's the mutt's nuts.

If only we'd bought that British 1944 carrier a few years back.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Intrepid_(CV-11)

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

New York on 16:36 - Feb 7 with 6226 viewstraininvain

Peter Luger's steak house if you want an authentic Sopranos / Goodfellas style dining experience.
Login to get fewer ads

New York on 16:40 - Feb 7 with 6219 viewsCorbyQPR

New York on 16:22 - Feb 7 by peejaybee

Which Airport are you flying into.?

JFK
New York on 16:43 - Feb 7 with 6210 viewsTacticalR

I thought nobody was allowed in?

Air hostess clique

New York on 16:43 - Feb 7 with 6210 viewspeejaybee

Might be of use
https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/plan-your-trip/?aid=291&gclid=CObj8oyz_tECFW4A0wo

New York on 17:04 - Feb 7 with 6168 viewsFearless

McSorleys ale house "light or dark"
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 17:54]
New York on 17:18 - Feb 7 with 6141 viewsrobith

Same thing I recommend every time

I could write loads but I''ll just say one thing.

If you're there on a Monday, you *have* to go and see The Reverned Vince Anderson and his Love Choir at the Union Pool in Brooklyn.

It's free in at an amazing venue that also has a fire pit and taco truck outside. He calls it "non denominational preaching through song" via Tom Waits/Leonard Cohen across James Brown with a rotating back troupe that often includes members of TV on The Radio (I meet Jaleel after the show and fan boyed out) and The Roots.

I went at Halloween and he had a shrine to the dead at the front where people could leave a shot and do one for their fallen friends, he was walking the crowd, splitting people in half doing call response. It was one of the greatest things I have ever experienced. I would genuinely say it is the one single thing you should do in New York

Sorry for copying in the whole thread, what a n00b
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 13:57]
New York on 17:22 - Feb 7 with 6134 viewsMrSheen

One I would add not mentioned in previous posts is the Met Museum. It's a bit out of the way on the east side of Central Park at about 82nd street, but it's amazing - a huge merger of the British Museum, National Gallery and V&A with world class everything - fashion, painting and antiquities. I went there with the family as a bit of an afterthought after the more famous modern art museums but we were all knocked out by it. Perfect for a stroll round Central park afterwards.
[Post edited 7 Feb 2017 17:24]
New York on 17:24 - Feb 7 with 6125 viewsdaveB

Top of the Rock was brilliant and if you have to pick one out of that and top of Empire State building go with the rock.

Intrepid is also fantastic and a really worth a visit.
New York on 17:59 - Feb 7 with 6086 viewseghamranger

Staten Island Ferry (free and great views)
Katz Deli
La Esquina (Mexican)
Carmines (Italian near Times Square)
Ground Zero ( so sad)
The Highline (walk it/ great views)
Grand Central station (fascinating and great food court in basement)

It's expensive so take lots of money. Traffics a nightmare.

Enjoy
New York on 19:15 - Feb 7 with 6003 viewsLblock

Most people have covered things I'd recommend and a few I'd like to do if I make it there later this year
A few I don't think covered plus other eating tips

Shopping - Woodbury Common used to be the nuts. Still great but bit hit and miss -- write off a day here though.

Theatre - if you can take in a show on Broadway. Expensive but we loved it (Jersey Boys)

Freedom Tower - gutted it weren't open when we were there but everything around there still great. I've heard it's quality with the elevator ride a trip in itself. Combine this with seeing the sites around Wall Street etc

Eats - this really depends on your budget but there really is something for absolutely everyone
Bobby Vans - old school grill
Bull & Bear - top end steakhouse in The Waldorf. Best cheesecake I've ever tasted
Smith & Woolenskys - steakhouse with great portions!!
Sparks - full of history (mafia hit outside)
Grand Central Station - brilliant building, bars for people watching and restaurants to suit every pocket
Luke's Lobsters - cracking cheap seafood fast gaff
Massalawallah - top Ruby house if you're missing home!

Few other places I can't remember but you can't go wrong!!

Bar 52 is a good gimmick but the rooftop bars in NYC can be a bit disappointing for views as there's so many other tall buildings!!

Enjoy and I really hope I can make it there this year

Cherish and enjoy life.... this ain't no dress rehearsal

New York on 22:33 - Feb 7 with 5919 viewsnix

Deffo high line, grand central station, 9/11 memorial all worth seeing.

Williamsburg in Brooklyn is a bit different and worth wondering round.

We were recommended the Stanton Social restaurant in lower east side on here and loved it - great food and good buzz.

Also the tenement museum is very interesting but you need to book that in advance. We walked from there through to the Chelsea district, which is full of interesting but incredibly expensive shops, art galleries and cafes but is fun to visit. Make sure you take comfortable shoes and walk everywhere.

Have a great time.
New York on 01:13 - Feb 8 with 5865 viewsBoston

New York on 16:36 - Feb 7 by traininvain

Peter Luger's steak house if you want an authentic Sopranos / Goodfellas style dining experience.

Two thumbs up.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

New York on 02:17 - Feb 8 with 5847 viewsToast_R

Broadway. Their theatres are so much more comfortable then the crappy old Westend ones. Saw Wicked there bought tickets well in advance as a surprise for my wife, memorable night out.

Echo the Ground Zero tour reccomendation.
New York on 13:51 - Feb 8 with 5737 viewspeejaybee

Discount
https://www.newyorkpass.com/En/?ref=20nyc&gclid=CObawODRgNICFUq17QodfuQNZg

New York on 15:47 - Feb 8 with 5680 viewsBoston

New York on 02:17 - Feb 8 by Toast_R

Broadway. Their theatres are so much more comfortable then the crappy old Westend ones. Saw Wicked there bought tickets well in advance as a surprise for my wife, memorable night out.

Echo the Ground Zero tour reccomendation.

Saw Wicked in not that crappy London,my 18 year loved it and I stayed awake, so it must be good.

New York on 16:03 - Feb 8 with 5665 viewsNewYorkRanger

Been living out here for a few years now. Loads of good calls already on this post - I could add a load but one thing I would recommend is going for a drink at the top of the Standard Hotel in the meatpacking district. It's a colonial style old bar with breathtaking views in every direction. They have some dress code rules e.g. no trainers or scruffy jeans but you don't have to go over the top.
You can just turn up and take your chances, or better to make a reservation - you can email them in advance here: eighteen@standardhotels.com
You and the Mrs. must go to the khasi there - quite an experience. Be warned - it ain't cheap!

Glory hunter, me

New York on 18:41 - Feb 8 with 5620 viewsBoston

New York on 16:03 - Feb 8 by NewYorkRanger

Been living out here for a few years now. Loads of good calls already on this post - I could add a load but one thing I would recommend is going for a drink at the top of the Standard Hotel in the meatpacking district. It's a colonial style old bar with breathtaking views in every direction. They have some dress code rules e.g. no trainers or scruffy jeans but you don't have to go over the top.
You can just turn up and take your chances, or better to make a reservation - you can email them in advance here: eighteen@standardhotels.com
You and the Mrs. must go to the khasi there - quite an experience. Be warned - it ain't cheap!

I'll 'ave you know it's 50p at Kings Cross Station....at the time it was a bargain.

New York on 19:26 - Feb 8 with 5593 viewsGroveR

All the above plus go see something - anything - at madison square gardens. I went to women's basketball, choirs of kids singing the star speckled banana, tshirts being fired into the crowd every 10mins, obese yanks struggling to rise for Mexican waves...it'll change your view of sport forever. Wasn't a bad game either for split-arses.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024