Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... 10:06 - Feb 14 with 4214 viewsbigbaddean

Sky strike again....

Back in the U.K. For a couple of weeks from Australia and was hoping to make this one.....
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 19:42 - Feb 14 with 1406 viewsozranger

It is interesting to see how this commentary is panning out. There are at least three lines of thought. The first is from the fans in London, those who head to the games or were intending to come from long distances to see the game and who are po'd about the alteration of the time as it is an inconvenience. Then there are those who live in the far reaches of the globe (i.e. Aussieland) who are ecstatic as they can now watch the game given Sky games are shown on BEIN or through a stream. However, the ones who should really be over the moon are those who run the club. It is the exposure around the world of the club that builds up its name, its brand and following.

Do you think all the really top teams (Manure, Scum, etc) got themselves up to the top through sheer determination only? No, they were able to get themselves on to the TV as much as possible. That helped to expose their brand and thus increase their following and through all that, sell shirts and other branded goods. That, in turn, brought in the funds and, more importantly, the international sponsorship which eventually led to bigger funds and thence more money for players and finally, to eventual success. Take a look at ESPN's or BT's programming guide for the CL or similar. They concentrate on the big clubs and not the small ones. One could even question whether these big clubs pay for the privilege to be shown.

Now I am not stating that QPR will get to that level. It may be too late, but the continued coverage must create some impact on the following of the club and hopefully what carries on from that. Of course, winning or playing well while being shown on the box would help. More like the recent Fulham and Newcastle games cannot go astray.
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 19:43 - Feb 14 with 1403 viewsdaveB

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 13:02 - Feb 14 by Konk

No disrespect, but what is going on with you and SKY? You're not one of the bigger clubs, you're not going for promotion, your current side isn't renowned around the world for its amazing football, so why do SKY seem to have you on every other week? It's weird.

I's bizarre and it's not as if any of the games we have on Sky are any good either, usually terrible games
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 20:35 - Feb 14 with 1334 viewssmegma

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 19:42 - Feb 14 by ozranger

It is interesting to see how this commentary is panning out. There are at least three lines of thought. The first is from the fans in London, those who head to the games or were intending to come from long distances to see the game and who are po'd about the alteration of the time as it is an inconvenience. Then there are those who live in the far reaches of the globe (i.e. Aussieland) who are ecstatic as they can now watch the game given Sky games are shown on BEIN or through a stream. However, the ones who should really be over the moon are those who run the club. It is the exposure around the world of the club that builds up its name, its brand and following.

Do you think all the really top teams (Manure, Scum, etc) got themselves up to the top through sheer determination only? No, they were able to get themselves on to the TV as much as possible. That helped to expose their brand and thus increase their following and through all that, sell shirts and other branded goods. That, in turn, brought in the funds and, more importantly, the international sponsorship which eventually led to bigger funds and thence more money for players and finally, to eventual success. Take a look at ESPN's or BT's programming guide for the CL or similar. They concentrate on the big clubs and not the small ones. One could even question whether these big clubs pay for the privilege to be shown.

Now I am not stating that QPR will get to that level. It may be too late, but the continued coverage must create some impact on the following of the club and hopefully what carries on from that. Of course, winning or playing well while being shown on the box would help. More like the recent Fulham and Newcastle games cannot go astray.

I'm guessing you work in marketing.

I couldn't give a flying f*ck whether someone on the other side of the planet can now watch the game on TV. Football is about those who actually go to games . They are its lifeblood. Not Sky. Not BT Sport. Not companies who advertise in stadiums,programmes or on TV during live games.
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 21:11 - Feb 14 with 1286 viewsWalnut

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 19:43 - Feb 14 by daveB

I's bizarre and it's not as if any of the games we have on Sky are any good either, usually terrible games

We're 19th in the table and 7th most shown team
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 22:21 - Feb 14 with 1216 viewsozranger

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 20:35 - Feb 14 by smegma

I'm guessing you work in marketing.

I couldn't give a flying f*ck whether someone on the other side of the planet can now watch the game on TV. Football is about those who actually go to games . They are its lifeblood. Not Sky. Not BT Sport. Not companies who advertise in stadiums,programmes or on TV during live games.

100% agree with you on who are the lifeblood of the game - the fans. However, I would have thought the R's had more just the 15-17,000 fans who get to the games. Why are the others not the lifeblood as well? They are important as well and are needed for the club to survive - membership, merchandise, etc. Trouble is that the money the club gets from fans that do get to the games is not enough to keep the club afloat, let alone pay for the high-priced players. Exposure brings about other sources of revenue and the more exposure the club gets on the primary source of media the more chance of attracting that revenue so that the real supporters can go out and watch our team play and others can cheer them on from pubs located around the world.

I don't work in marketing and would not want to - I am just a fan like you and others on here. That said, I am also p*ssed that the big clubs get nearly all the coverage and the small ones do not - that was the reason for my post - just how much is Newcastle getting this season as opposed to, say Brentford or Burton. And I am just saying that, given this ridiculous situation of games being moved, the club needs to take advantage of it and not mope. Anyway, I will be back for next season and, irrelevant of where we are playing, on which day and against whom, will be there to watch the games.
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 22:32 - Feb 14 with 1196 viewsstowmarketrange

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 21:11 - Feb 14 by Walnut

Who have been on more than us then?
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 23:52 - Feb 14 with 1131 viewsDannyPaddox

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 21:11 - Feb 14 by Walnut

And it's Queens Park Rangers
Queens Park Rangers F.C.
We're the 7th most shown Championship team
the world has ever seen!
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 00:07 - Feb 15 with 1111 viewsLythamR

in this case might it also be a bit related to Derby and what sky considers to be the importance of the game to them as far as the play offs are concerned as well as the possibility that we may well be playing for our championship lives by then

The game could possibly see the demise of either manager, I can see why they picked it even though its a right royal pain in the butt for many of us
Login to get fewer ads

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 08:13 - Feb 15 with 980 viewsWalnut

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 22:32 - Feb 14 by stowmarketrange

Who have been on more than us then?

H A TOT
Aston Villa 4 11 15
Leeds 5 9 14
Newcastle 4 10 14
Brighton 8 5 13
Sheff Weds 2 8 10
Derby 5 4 9
QPR 5 4 9
Birmingham 4 4 8
Huddersfield 6 2 8
Norwich 4 4 8
Nottm Forest3 5 8
Wolves 5 3 8
Brentford 3 1 4
Ipswich 2 2 4
Reading 3 1 4
Wigan 2 2 4
Blackburn 2 1 3
Bristol City 2 1 3
Cardiff 2 1 3
Fulham 1 2 3
Barnsley 2 2
Burton 2 2
Preston 2 2
Rotherham 2 2
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 09:27 - Feb 15 with 924 viewssmegma

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 23:52 - Feb 14 by DannyPaddox

And it's Queens Park Rangers
Queens Park Rangers F.C.
We're the 7th most shown Championship team
the world has ever seen!

That's got a certain ring to it.
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 09:38 - Feb 15 with 913 viewsstowmarketrange

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 08:13 - Feb 15 by Walnut

H A TOT
Aston Villa 4 11 15
Leeds 5 9 14
Newcastle 4 10 14
Brighton 8 5 13
Sheff Weds 2 8 10
Derby 5 4 9
QPR 5 4 9
Birmingham 4 4 8
Huddersfield 6 2 8
Norwich 4 4 8
Nottm Forest3 5 8
Wolves 5 3 8
Brentford 3 1 4
Ipswich 2 2 4
Reading 3 1 4
Wigan 2 2 4
Blackburn 2 1 3
Bristol City 2 1 3
Cardiff 2 1 3
Fulham 1 2 3
Barnsley 2 2
Burton 2 2
Preston 2 2
Rotherham 2 2

Does that list include games that are still to be shown or is that games that have been shown so far?
I can't remember Villa being on at all apart from our game.
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 09:47 - Feb 15 with 896 viewsToast_R

I can't understand why Fulham haven't been on more to be fair. I've watched all three of their televised games (including ours) and it's always been a good game. They beat Newcastle on the opening night, done a job on Brentford who were bang in form at the time whilst playing decent football and have a realistic shot at making the play offs.

QPR have been on 9 times and mostly the matches have been dire to embarrassing.
Aston Villa, Leeds and Newcastle you can understand for the viewing figures but there are some obscure common selections which don't make much sense - including us. Like QPR v Reading, what is it with that fixture? It's only ever been good when not shown on TV. It's awful and rarely bares any relevance to the way the season is shaping up.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2017 9:51]
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 09:51 - Feb 15 with 889 viewssmegma

I'm surprised at the Leeds figures as it appears every game is on TV.
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 12:16 - Feb 15 with 823 viewsWalnut

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 09:38 - Feb 15 by stowmarketrange

Does that list include games that are still to be shown or is that games that have been shown so far?
I can't remember Villa being on at all apart from our game.

I think it's both games played and games selected out to April
Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 12:22 - Feb 15 with 816 viewsAntti_Heinola

Derby Away now Friday night on Sky..... on 13:02 - Feb 14 by Konk

No disrespect, but what is going on with you and SKY? You're not one of the bigger clubs, you're not going for promotion, your current side isn't renowned around the world for its amazing football, so why do SKY seem to have you on every other week? It's weird.

viewing figures.
our gates aren;t that big, but are fanbase is.
plus, for the teams playing against us, their fans always watch as 3 points are almost guaranteed.

Bare bones.

Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024