Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan 22:14 - Nov 29 with 8013 viewsTheResurrection

Once again the plan was to contain Chelsea and had they not scored we'd have still been camped on our own 18 yard line never venturing past half way.

This is the way Clement wants to approach these almost impossible games and it's arguably our best chance in them.

However, even with the over emphasis on shape and lack of risk taking I felt we kept the ball better than we had done in other big matches. Even in the first half. When we do find the courage to pass it about a bit you can see we've still got it there, it's just clearly being suppressed. The last 20 was a breath of fresh air even though Chelsea were getting nervous themselves with their slim advantage.

The platform for me was this was an unchanged side, and maybe this was for the first time this season? Sanches was appalling and it's a worry if he's got a must start in his contract. Barring any tired limbs or knocks he should be our only change for Saturday with a fit and raring to go again Tammy coming in and Ayew dropping back into midfield.

I thought Mesa was excellent tonight, it's his simple passing that gets us more of the possession we really need to get more used to. I was very surprised and pissed off Clement took him off but maybe it was down to a lack of game time. I actually thought it was Bony coming off to save him for Saturday.

But Clement has to keep faith with Mesa, we can all see, well most of us can, that he really could be that missing link. His passing is crisp and perfectly weighted and I like the way he uses his body well to shield the ball and shape up for the pass. I hope to God he gets as long a run as he's fit or needs, he could be key.

Other special mentions to our 2 superb centre backs, Fer and Ollie McBurnie, there's a player in there and with him on in the last 20 I genuinely thought we had a chance, he's a born finisher, we know that, and yeah, I know this isn't the U-23's but give him a sight at goal and I think he'll take it.

We can go into Stoke feeling a little sorry Routs couldn't pick out Bony with that cross, we really could have nicked a draw. That would have been fortunate I know, but even the narrow loss should give us that something to build on.

------------------------- Fabianski --------------------------

Naughts ---- Van De Hoorn ---- Mawson ---- Olsson

-------------------------- Mesa ------------------------------

---------- Ki ------------------------------- Carroll ----------

-------------------------- Ayew -------------------------------

----------- Tammy ----------------- Bony ------------------

If there are to be more changes I would consider Fer for another start and Clucas in left midfield instead of Carroll. Big, big game Saturday.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 09:47 - Nov 30 with 1827 viewscostalotta

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 09:43 - Nov 30 by karnataka

Clement should have gone after the Brighton capitulation. We've wasted a whole month we could not afford to waste and in that time we've taken 1 point from 9.

Of course he should have. In fact I'm still surprised that he lasted that long.

7 goals in 14 games! FFS. Yet we've had our best ever transfer window. Yeah right!

The lunatics are running the asylum as they have for the last 4 years!
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 09:49 - Nov 30 with 1825 viewsWarwickHunt

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 09:47 - Nov 30 by costalotta

Of course he should have. In fact I'm still surprised that he lasted that long.

7 goals in 14 games! FFS. Yet we've had our best ever transfer window. Yeah right!

The lunatics are running the asylum as they have for the last 4 years!

...and getting paid handsomely.
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 10:07 - Nov 30 with 1789 viewsGeoffThom

Baby steps my arse ,7 years at the top table last thing we need is baby steps we need some bloody convictions,not going to games hoping to hang on or as been reported ,we didn't go to win ,feckin joke ,BABY STEPS MY ARSE
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 10:13 - Nov 30 with 1781 viewsKerouac

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 09:29 - Nov 30 by karnataka

I'm not convinced about having Ayew at the tip of the diamond. He works extremely hard and is difficult to dispossess but his decision making is very poor and a #10 needs to be good at looking up and threading balls through for strikers or other players running beyond him. Far too many times, Ayew chooses to try and bulldoze his way through 2 or 3 defenders around the edge of the box and at this level, it never works because the majority of defenders are too good. If Wilf & Tammy start, Ayew goes on the bench for me rather than shoehorn him into a position he's not suited for.

The only one who plays with his head up and is capable of short crisp passes into feet is Mesa. Has he ever played as a #10? He would put short balls in for Wilf & Tammy or spot overlaps by Olssen & Naughton. Couldn't be worse than what we've tried so far. Put Leon in as DM, Mesa as AM and that just leaves 2 starting berths for any 2 from Ki, Carroll, Fer & Clucas.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 9:30]

I agree with all of this.

Baby f*ck-ing Steps
"We're getting a platform" -
Work in football do you Res?
You probably do, for our f*cking shambles of a jobs for the boys club.
F*ck me sideways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss9VZ1FHxy0
Poll: Which manager should replace Russell Martin (2) ?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 10:18 - Nov 30 with 1777 viewsDafyddHuw

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 10:13 - Nov 30 by Kerouac

I agree with all of this.

Baby f*ck-ing Steps
"We're getting a platform" -
Work in football do you Res?
You probably do, for our f*cking shambles of a jobs for the boys club.
F*ck me sideways.

Brexit's going well
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 10:31 - Nov 30 with 1754 viewsBobby_Fischer

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 08:51 - Nov 30 by STID2017

Agree with all that Chris.
Thought Mawson was immense tonight - if he'd been on the home side he'd have got MOTM in my opinion.
For all their swagger, Chelsea made the most of a deflection and if we had got a draw it wouldn't be undeserved.
Start with the same team except for Abraham instead of Sanches, and have a real go at Stoke, and we can get a much needed win.

Chelsea were pretty shit compared to their standards, Fabianski had man of the match btw.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 10:34 - Nov 30 with 1749 viewscmajack

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 09:29 - Nov 30 by karnataka

I'm not convinced about having Ayew at the tip of the diamond. He works extremely hard and is difficult to dispossess but his decision making is very poor and a #10 needs to be good at looking up and threading balls through for strikers or other players running beyond him. Far too many times, Ayew chooses to try and bulldoze his way through 2 or 3 defenders around the edge of the box and at this level, it never works because the majority of defenders are too good. If Wilf & Tammy start, Ayew goes on the bench for me rather than shoehorn him into a position he's not suited for.

The only one who plays with his head up and is capable of short crisp passes into feet is Mesa. Has he ever played as a #10? He would put short balls in for Wilf & Tammy or spot overlaps by Olssen & Naughton. Couldn't be worse than what we've tried so far. Put Leon in as DM, Mesa as AM and that just leaves 2 starting berths for any 2 from Ki, Carroll, Fer & Clucas.
[Post edited 30 Nov 2017 9:30]

Like I've said in previous posts ayew is an absolute joke. No threat whatsoever no shots ,No headers at goal ,doesn't create anything, but hey what he runs around a lot so he must be good. Championship player at best, he wouldn't have made our subs bench 3 seasons ago that's how far backwards we have gone.
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 12:05 - Nov 30 with 1671 viewstrampie

The Res knows Porthcawl about the game, lol.
The writing was on the wall before a ball was kicked and after a few games my fears were realised the Swans were not going to create Porthcawl, no replacement for Gylfi.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

Login to get fewer ads

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 13:02 - Nov 30 with 1642 viewsMoscowJack

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 12:05 - Nov 30 by trampie

The Res knows Porthcawl about the game, lol.
The writing was on the wall before a ball was kicked and after a few games my fears were realised the Swans were not going to create Porthcawl, no replacement for Gylfi.

The problem lies in your last few words....no replacement for Gylfi.

We've failed to replace Gylfi but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been sold. You ask Everton fans how much they'd value him at right now....I doubt they would say £10m.

Although there was a huge amount of hype surrounding his move to us, HJ & Co must have known it was a HUGE risk as he'd only ever scored 2 goals in this career to date, and zero assists. I'm sure that even I could get an assist in that Bayern team!

The fact we had him as our one and only creative hope is down to Jenkins. In the past he's got lucky but that luck ran out a long time ago. Clement can also take some of the blame as he's obviously recommended Sanches based on their time together in Germany, but SURELY Clement could see that Sanches was just a raw talent.

We needed to rely less on Gylfi's free kicks to save us in games by re-investing the money from his sale on a quality no.10. There's always a risk, but minimising the risk is what a good Chairman does and getting someone in who's never had a professional assist as you're no.1 playmaker is mad. Ok, it's said with the benefit of hindsight but Clement and Jenkins took too much of a risk.

I just hope there's money left over from the summer sales, but I am not convinced that there is, which scares me even more!

Poll: Simple...would you want Leon in the squad right now, if he was available?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 13:10 - Nov 30 with 1631 viewsOldjack

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 13:02 - Nov 30 by MoscowJack

We've failed to replace Gylfi but that doesn't mean he shouldn't have been sold. You ask Everton fans how much they'd value him at right now....I doubt they would say £10m.

Although there was a huge amount of hype surrounding his move to us, HJ & Co must have known it was a HUGE risk as he'd only ever scored 2 goals in this career to date, and zero assists. I'm sure that even I could get an assist in that Bayern team!

The fact we had him as our one and only creative hope is down to Jenkins. In the past he's got lucky but that luck ran out a long time ago. Clement can also take some of the blame as he's obviously recommended Sanches based on their time together in Germany, but SURELY Clement could see that Sanches was just a raw talent.

We needed to rely less on Gylfi's free kicks to save us in games by re-investing the money from his sale on a quality no.10. There's always a risk, but minimising the risk is what a good Chairman does and getting someone in who's never had a professional assist as you're no.1 playmaker is mad. Ok, it's said with the benefit of hindsight but Clement and Jenkins took too much of a risk.

I just hope there's money left over from the summer sales, but I am not convinced that there is, which scares me even more!

there's 30+ mill floating around from the summer sales

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 13:20 - Nov 30 with 1624 viewsMoscowJack

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 13:10 - Nov 30 by Oldjack

there's 30+ mill floating around from the summer sales

Do you believe the numbers quoted in the press?

I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't already spent most of it on Mesa, Clucas and Sanches (£8m loan fee).....and if there was anything left over, would it be enough to get someone decent in anyway?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 14:35 - Nov 30 with 1579 viewstrampie

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 13:02 - Nov 30 by MoscowJack

Gylfi has had either a goal or an assist in the last 3 Everton matches he has played.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:08 - Nov 30 with 1550 viewsMoscowJack

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 14:35 - Nov 30 by trampie

Gylfi has had either a goal or an assist in the last 3 Everton matches he has played.

Were they in the 4-1 defeat away at Southampton (who had hardly scored a goal at home for about one year) or the 5-1 home defeat against Atalanta?

Gylfi's been shocking this season and so has the rest of their team, with the exception of last night apparently.

I'm not saying that he can't do a job in a team, but he can't be the man that you build the team around, unless you're planning to have a huge target-man (like Llorente) and play for free-kicks or corners all game. Gylfi's playing skills and limitations are being exposed at Everton where he's a smaller fish in a bigger pond. With us, he was a big fish in a small pond which meant we built the team around him, but it wasn't pretty.

The big disaster of it all is who we've replaced him with, not that we sold him for a tidy sum.

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:30 - Nov 30 with 1525 viewsOldjack

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 13:20 - Nov 30 by MoscowJack

Do you believe the numbers quoted in the press?

I wouldn't be surprised if we haven't already spent most of it on Mesa, Clucas and Sanches (£8m loan fee).....and if there was anything left over, would it be enough to get someone decent in anyway?

Club Transfer sum
Sam Clucas Hull City £14.5million
Wilfried Bony Man City £12million
Roque Mesa Las Palmas £10.5million
Erwin Mulder Heereveen FREE
Renato Sanches Bayern Munich LOAN (fee £7.5m)
Tammy Abraham Chelsea LOAN
TOTAL = £44.5million

Next are the players that departed Swansea City FC in 2017/18. It is a list of all players who have left Swansea City FC this season.
Players leaving Swansea City FC 2017 — Departures 2017/18
Players Club Transfer sum
Gylfi Sigurdsson Everton £44.5million
Fernando Llorente Tottenham £13.5million
Jack Cork Burnley £8million
Bafetimbi Gomis Galatasaray £2.25million
Modou Barrow Reading £1.5million
Jordi Amat Real Betis LOAN
Borja Baston Malaga LOAN
Jefferson Montero Getafe LOAN
Marvin Emnes Akhisarspor FREE
Gerhard Tremmel Retired N/A
TOTAL = £69.75million
there's money there and the masses won't be fooled this time around

Prosser the Tosser dwells on Phil's bum hole like a rusty old hemorrhoid ,fact You Greedy Bastards Get Out Of OUR Club!

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:35 - Nov 30 with 1515 viewstrampie

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:08 - Nov 30 by MoscowJack

Were they in the 4-1 defeat away at Southampton (who had hardly scored a goal at home for about one year) or the 5-1 home defeat against Atalanta?

Gylfi's been shocking this season and so has the rest of their team, with the exception of last night apparently.

I'm not saying that he can't do a job in a team, but he can't be the man that you build the team around, unless you're planning to have a huge target-man (like Llorente) and play for free-kicks or corners all game. Gylfi's playing skills and limitations are being exposed at Everton where he's a smaller fish in a bigger pond. With us, he was a big fish in a small pond which meant we built the team around him, but it wasn't pretty.

The big disaster of it all is who we've replaced him with, not that we sold him for a tidy sum.

Gylfi laid on the equaliser against Palace, scored a worldy against Soton and had an assist against West Ham those were his last 3 matches.

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 18:04 - Nov 30 with 1438 views34dfgdf54

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:08 - Nov 30 by MoscowJack

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the club will lose millions upon millions in the event of relegation?

Because for me, watching us this year, that £45mill is looking cheap. You can go on about his “limitations” but he’d stroll into our side in the ten role. I reckon if you asked Wilf, he’d give his left nut if it meant having Siggy in behind him.
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 21:55 - Nov 30 with 1358 viewsTom1912

I agree with the optimism.

A few more performances like that, and we'll have the platform in place to finally get that elusive shot on target.
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 22:01 - Nov 30 with 1341 viewsskettyparkherbert

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 18:04 - Nov 30 by 34dfgdf54

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the club will lose millions upon millions in the event of relegation?

Because for me, watching us this year, that £45mill is looking cheap. You can go on about his “limitations” but he’d stroll into our side in the ten role. I reckon if you asked Wilf, he’d give his left nut if it meant having Siggy in behind him.

No you are not wrong there, we would loose a frigging fortune and would find it very difficult to get back if not impossible.

But in all seriousness we had all better get used to it as we are14 games in and have 9 points on the board and 7 goals scored.

Next 3 games Stoke, West Brom and Man City, normally we would fancy our chances against Stoke and West Brom but this season is far from normal, i would take 3 points from them 2 games and nothing from Man City apart from a possible drubbing.

Next 4 games Everton away, Palace at home Liverpool and Watford away.

In all honesty can't see us getting anything from the 3 away games and Palace will be really tough too.

So maybe 1 to 3 points there?

Then we are 21 games with a possible 15 points and a Transfer window and possibly or (probably) a new 1st team coach in charge?

We would then need a possible 25 points from the remaining 17 games, possible but realistically i can't see it?

I really hope i'm wrong but time will tell.
We live in hope
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 09:25 - Dec 1 with 1268 viewsdameedna

Not so sure. Stoke are good but wba are not. City well. 3 points from 3 games. Point a game average. About enough.

There were some good signs last 2 games.
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 11:35 - Dec 1 with 1208 viewsScotia

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:30 - Nov 30 by Oldjack

Club Transfer sum
TOTAL = £44.5million

Next are the players that departed Swansea City FC in 2017/18. It is a list of all players who have left Swansea City FC this season.
Borja Baston Malaga LOAN
TOTAL = £69.75million

If that is the true figure, how do we know any of it is still available for a transfer kitty? The last set of accounts showed we were 13 million in the red I believe, take that away and the kitty is down to 12 million. I'd be amazed if we spend that amount without selling first and who the hell could we get for £12 mill?

The problem is the rubbish we have brought in with what we have spent so far.

The masses may not be fooled but what can they do? We exist solely to make money for the owners now, not to keep the fans happy.
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 12:05 - Dec 1 with 1196 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:30 - Nov 30 by Oldjack

Club Transfer sum
TOTAL = £44.5million

Borja Baston Malaga LOAN
TOTAL = £69.75million

We have to make a considerable profit on transfers to stand still. We're paying out far too much in wages for a club of our size so the shortfall is made up of transfer profit.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 12:18 - Dec 1 with 1180 viewsOldjack

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 12:05 - Dec 1 by Joe_bradshaw

We have to make a considerable profit on transfers to stand still. We're paying out far too much in wages for a club of our size so the shortfall is made up of transfer profit.

wages etc are being paid for by TV monies

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 12:40 - Dec 1 with 1161 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 12:18 - Dec 1 by Oldjack

wages etc are being paid for by TV monies

£15M loss in the last accounts.

18th in the Premier League for turnover

12th in the Premier League for wages.

The TV income just pays the wage bill and the commercial income is tiny by Premier league standards. Then there's the overheads of running a PL club, pay offs to sacked managers and their staff, agent's fees, signing on fees etc etc. Then there's the need for the Americans to get a return on their "investment".

We're f****d.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 21:39 - Dec 1 with 1089 viewsdameedna

Fair comment. Having watched the game back there were moments where Ki and Sanches played well together. Both are good players. I would like to see Ki given the DM role with Mesa Carroll and Sanches in front. Really believe it will be the exoerience of Ki and Mesa that will come through.

Id be happy to give Clucas a run in place of Sanches. Certainly a better starter though for Stoke the mobility of Carroll and Sanches would be inportant as they break well from midfield.

Fabianski
Naughton Mawson VDH Olsson
Ayew Ki Mesa Fer Clucas
Bony

There would be a big call for Bony to start and maybe Abraham on the left. Carrol is a tough one. He has had some game time so rotate him.
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 22:22 - Dec 1 with 1063 viewsLeonWasGod

Club Transfer sum
TOTAL = £44.5million

Borja Baston Malaga LOAN
TOTAL = £69.75million

Don't forget £15m shortfall from last year's accounts. So that's £10m based on difference between fee values - just over half a Clucas. Not that it works that way. None of us know how much is actually available.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024