Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan 22:14 - Nov 29 with 7829 viewsTheResurrection

Once again the plan was to contain Chelsea and had they not scored we'd have still been camped on our own 18 yard line never venturing past half way.

This is the way Clement wants to approach these almost impossible games and it's arguably our best chance in them.

However, even with the over emphasis on shape and lack of risk taking I felt we kept the ball better than we had done in other big matches. Even in the first half. When we do find the courage to pass it about a bit you can see we've still got it there, it's just clearly being suppressed. The last 20 was a breath of fresh air even though Chelsea were getting nervous themselves with their slim advantage.

The platform for me was this was an unchanged side, and maybe this was for the first time this season? Sanches was appalling and it's a worry if he's got a must start in his contract. Barring any tired limbs or knocks he should be our only change for Saturday with a fit and raring to go again Tammy coming in and Ayew dropping back into midfield.

I thought Mesa was excellent tonight, it's his simple passing that gets us more of the possession we really need to get more used to. I was very surprised and pissed off Clement took him off but maybe it was down to a lack of game time. I actually thought it was Bony coming off to save him for Saturday.

But Clement has to keep faith with Mesa, we can all see, well most of us can, that he really could be that missing link. His passing is crisp and perfectly weighted and I like the way he uses his body well to shield the ball and shape up for the pass. I hope to God he gets as long a run as he's fit or needs, he could be key.

Other special mentions to our 2 superb centre backs, Fer and Ollie McBurnie, there's a player in there and with him on in the last 20 I genuinely thought we had a chance, he's a born finisher, we know that, and yeah, I know this isn't the U-23's but give him a sight at goal and I think he'll take it.

We can go into Stoke feeling a little sorry Routs couldn't pick out Bony with that cross, we really could have nicked a draw. That would have been fortunate I know, but even the narrow loss should give us that something to build on.

------------------------- Fabianski --------------------------

Naughts ---- Van De Hoorn ---- Mawson ---- Olsson

-------------------------- Mesa ------------------------------

---------- Ki ------------------------------- Carroll ----------

-------------------------- Ayew -------------------------------

----------- Tammy ----------------- Bony ------------------

If there are to be more changes I would consider Fer for another start and Clucas in left midfield instead of Carroll. Big, big game Saturday.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 22:51 - Dec 1 with 449 viewsmahoss

Baby Steps - We're getting a platform from which to build and plan on 15:08 - Nov 30 by MoscowJack

Were they in the 4-1 defeat away at Southampton (who had hardly scored a goal at home for about one year) or the 5-1 home defeat against Atalanta?

Gylfi's been shocking this season and so has the rest of their team, with the exception of last night apparently.

I'm not saying that he can't do a job in a team, but he can't be the man that you build the team around, unless you're planning to have a huge target-man (like Llorente) and play for free-kicks or corners all game. Gylfi's playing skills and limitations are being exposed at Everton where he's a smaller fish in a bigger pond. With us, he was a big fish in a small pond which meant we built the team around him, but it wasn't pretty.

The big disaster of it all is who we've replaced him with, not that we sold him for a tidy sum.

Put Gylfi in this team and it would be transformed.
Bony and Tammy would both be in double figures for goals this season.
The balance is not right at the moment,one or two players in January could change a lot,but we need to still be in touch by January.........
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024