Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter 17:11 - Apr 19 with 5335 viewsBrad_Bobbly

Awful awful awful

Schoolboy stuff and has been all season under Harry Potter

From beating the likes of Arsenal and Liverpool every week at the Liberty

To letting in 5 goals in two games v the mighty Rotherham

We’re going nowhere under this manager and owners
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:01 - Apr 19 with 1013 viewsFlashberryjack

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 20:02 - Apr 19 by BytholWyn

The two main problems we had today judging by the highlights were preventing the ball getting into the box in the first place, and then defending the second ball. If you look at the opening goal Routledge makes little attempt to close down the angle to prevent Vaulks' cross into the box - very poor defending.

Anyone who follows #EFLSTATS may be aware of the rather surprising stat that a number of weekends this season we have topped or come close to topping the aerial battle percentages. This suggests that VDH and CCV are winning more than their fair share of aerial contests - but we struggle in other defensive areas. That certainly seemed to be the case today.

I don't think there are any easy solutions, it's just a case of chipping away collectively at some of our frailties. Nordfeldt does need to step up when it comes to dealing with the high ball between now and the end of the season if he wants to keep his place in the side ahead of Mulder next season.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 20:05]

Nordfeldt pulled off two wonderful saves today, but he commands his area like an absolute novice.....he's not very good IMO

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:01 - Apr 19 with 1012 viewsLuther27

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 20:39 - Apr 19 by SgorioFruit

however great we all think Potter is, he has seriously messed up the goalkeeping situation this season.

and right now I don't have any confidence in both Mulder or Nordfelt,
perhaps maybe if he were to stick with ONE first team goalkeeper next season then the confidence will return, otherwise get rid of them both keepers and start afresh with someone who suits us better.

I’ve said it before, I would get rid of the gk coach, even both keepers and start afresh. After 20 minutes I would have paid someone to take Nordfellt of our hands. Then the twit goes and makes two superb saves and blows my plans out of the water ffs.
I’d still get rid of the coach mind...
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:16 - Apr 19 with 973 viewsjasper_T

A goalkeeper making some nice saves to keep the scoreline in check is the minimum expectation, really. If they're making an equal number of mistakes that doesn't even things out it's a poor day at the office.

He's had one great game this season and it was against a team that refused to exploit his biggest weakness.
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:39 - Apr 19 with 942 viewsItchySphincter

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:16 - Apr 19 by jasper_T

A goalkeeper making some nice saves to keep the scoreline in check is the minimum expectation, really. If they're making an equal number of mistakes that doesn't even things out it's a poor day at the office.

He's had one great game this season and it was against a team that refused to exploit his biggest weakness.

Nordfeldt has problems but f*ck me, there wasn’t a Swansea player goalside of three Rotherham players for their first. You’ve been a excusing our defending at centre half the whole season for some bizarre reason but anyone with a pair of eyes in their head can see that our centre half’s are beyond useless at defending the six yard box. Appalling stuff every week from us.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:49 - Apr 19 with 920 viewsjasper_T

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:39 - Apr 19 by ItchySphincter

Nordfeldt has problems but f*ck me, there wasn’t a Swansea player goalside of three Rotherham players for their first. You’ve been a excusing our defending at centre half the whole season for some bizarre reason but anyone with a pair of eyes in their head can see that our centre half’s are beyond useless at defending the six yard box. Appalling stuff every week from us.

Beyond linking an article the other day I don't think I've spent much time talking about our centre halves' defending at all. Not sure where you've got the idea I've spent the whole season excusing it.
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:12 - Apr 19 with 901 viewsItchySphincter

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 21:49 - Apr 19 by jasper_T

Beyond linking an article the other day I don't think I've spent much time talking about our centre halves' defending at all. Not sure where you've got the idea I've spent the whole season excusing it.

I’ve got peters for saying how pathetic we are at defending the box and you always come out with some pearler about all teams in this division struggling to cope with the big centre forwards and all having the same problems with zonal marking which for some reason is the only option, or some other such buIIshit like that.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:20 - Apr 19 with 885 viewsAndy1300

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 19:20 - Apr 19 by jackrmee

So to ignore the OP, but embrace the title...

I have no idea why we cannot stop crosses and set pieces.
I don't believe it's simply height.
I don't believe GP doesn't know what he's doing.

I do agree with many that Nordfeldt is an issue. He's excellent with his feet and distribution, but he's stuck to his line. He is a decent shot stopper, but misses a lot also.
Even so, I can't blame him for everything, as he shouldn't be put in the position of having to make a save every time a cross or long throw comes in. Defenders should be taking care of most of them, but why aren't they?!

Anyone have any ideas what exactly we could change?

We could make a start by doing away with zonal marking

Number 1 team in Wales

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:24 - Apr 19 with 880 viewsjasper_T

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:12 - Apr 19 by ItchySphincter

I’ve got peters for saying how pathetic we are at defending the box and you always come out with some pearler about all teams in this division struggling to cope with the big centre forwards and all having the same problems with zonal marking which for some reason is the only option, or some other such buIIshit like that.

I'll defend zonal marking till the day I die.

Potters specific zonal systems have left much to be desired, and the players haven't done their jobs within those systems particularly well, but it's far, far better than using a man-marking system when our players are going to lose 9/10 physical battles on every set piece due to their (lack of) size.

Our record for defending set pieces was (apart from this season) at its worst under Guidolin who used a primarily man-marking system.
Login to get fewer ads

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:40 - Apr 19 with 859 viewsItchySphincter

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:24 - Apr 19 by jasper_T

I'll defend zonal marking till the day I die.

Potters specific zonal systems have left much to be desired, and the players haven't done their jobs within those systems particularly well, but it's far, far better than using a man-marking system when our players are going to lose 9/10 physical battles on every set piece due to their (lack of) size.

Our record for defending set pieces was (apart from this season) at its worst under Guidolin who used a primarily man-marking system.

In all my years watching the swans I’d struggle to believe that we’ve ever been worse at defending balls in to the six yard box than we are this season. We don’t win a single header and the opposition score with extrodinary regularity so it’s hard to see what there is to defend about it.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:48 - Apr 19 with 846 viewsjasper_T

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:40 - Apr 19 by ItchySphincter

In all my years watching the swans I’d struggle to believe that we’ve ever been worse at defending balls in to the six yard box than we are this season. We don’t win a single header and the opposition score with extrodinary regularity so it’s hard to see what there is to defend about it.

We won the first header on both their long throws for their first half goals. One was even in the right direction.
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:53 - Apr 19 with 840 viewsItchySphincter

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:48 - Apr 19 by jasper_T

We won the first header on both their long throws for their first half goals. One was even in the right direction.

But it ended up in the back of the net. Funny that.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:55 - Apr 19 with 836 viewsjackrmee

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 19:35 - Apr 19 by magicdaps10

There are issues but the team is very young.

The need for a holder head with leadership qualities is desperately needed. Routledge and Naughton are the experienced heads in there, neither are leaders though.

I am sure Potter knows what we need.

I agree, I reckon GP knows what he needs too and inexperience plays a massive part in our consistency, but is it really anything to do with the schoolboy goals we are conceding almost every match? I dunno.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:01 - Apr 19 with 823 viewsjackrmee

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 20:02 - Apr 19 by BytholWyn

The two main problems we had today judging by the highlights were preventing the ball getting into the box in the first place, and then defending the second ball. If you look at the opening goal Routledge makes little attempt to close down the angle to prevent Vaulks' cross into the box - very poor defending.

Anyone who follows #EFLSTATS may be aware of the rather surprising stat that a number of weekends this season we have topped or come close to topping the aerial battle percentages. This suggests that VDH and CCV are winning more than their fair share of aerial contests - but we struggle in other defensive areas. That certainly seemed to be the case today.

I don't think there are any easy solutions, it's just a case of chipping away collectively at some of our frailties. Nordfeldt does need to step up when it comes to dealing with the high ball between now and the end of the season if he wants to keep his place in the side ahead of Mulder next season.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2019 20:05]

That is a surprising stat and a very good point. Defending the second ball is key. I think the amount of crosses coming in is a result of our second ball shitness, as teams know they will get something if they just pump it in.
Or maybe the headers won stat is not good, as maybe the won header is actually a sh!t defensive header? Interesting to learn.

Poll: Who are you voting for this year? I'm sure Grimes will be popular. I've gone Oli

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:03 - Apr 19 with 818 viewsItchySphincter

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 22:55 - Apr 19 by jackrmee

I agree, I reckon GP knows what he needs too and inexperience plays a massive part in our consistency, but is it really anything to do with the schoolboy goals we are conceding almost every match? I dunno.

The centre halves and goalies simply can’t play the system. Between them they’re lacking in gumption and courage. The problem we had in midfield for the last couple of years in the Premier League appears to have transferred to central defence.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:04 - Apr 19 with 815 viewsjasper_T

The stats clearly show that CCV wins less than his fair share of aerial duels (as do today's match highlights), while Big Joe wins more.
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:07 - Apr 19 with 806 viewsjackrmee

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 20:39 - Apr 19 by SgorioFruit

however great we all think Potter is, he has seriously messed up the goalkeeping situation this season.

and right now I don't have any confidence in both Mulder or Nordfelt,
perhaps maybe if he were to stick with ONE first team goalkeeper next season then the confidence will return, otherwise get rid of them both keepers and start afresh with someone who suits us better.

He said from the start that he was going to give both an extended chance in the team. He stuck to his word.
I honestly think tht Norfeldt is streets ahead of Mulder on the deck. It's a pleasure to watch sometimes with his first time dinks and one-twos with defenders. He is good on his line and probably almost as good a shot stopper as Mulder. His massive downfall is coming off his line. Mulder does do that but is still not completely convincing.
If Nordfeldt was commanding, he'd be a very decent keeper.

I'd get rid of both if Nordfeldt can't sort himself out a bit. I don't think you can train the footwork into Mulder.
Only thing is, where the fuk do you get a better keeper from? Prem teams struggle to find a decent all rounder. It aint gonna happen. Nordfeldt and Mulder it is bois bach.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:17 - Apr 19 with 792 viewsjasper_T

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:07 - Apr 19 by jackrmee

He said from the start that he was going to give both an extended chance in the team. He stuck to his word.
I honestly think tht Norfeldt is streets ahead of Mulder on the deck. It's a pleasure to watch sometimes with his first time dinks and one-twos with defenders. He is good on his line and probably almost as good a shot stopper as Mulder. His massive downfall is coming off his line. Mulder does do that but is still not completely convincing.
If Nordfeldt was commanding, he'd be a very decent keeper.

I'd get rid of both if Nordfeldt can't sort himself out a bit. I don't think you can train the footwork into Mulder.
Only thing is, where the fuk do you get a better keeper from? Prem teams struggle to find a decent all rounder. It aint gonna happen. Nordfeldt and Mulder it is bois bach.

Don't know where this idea that Mulder was poor playing out for us comes from. Tidy and sensible modern footballing goalkeeper.

One of our most consistent players up until Potter first dropped him.
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:24 - Apr 19 with 779 viewsjackrmee

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:17 - Apr 19 by jasper_T

Don't know where this idea that Mulder was poor playing out for us comes from. Tidy and sensible modern footballing goalkeeper.

One of our most consistent players up until Potter first dropped him.

I don't think Mulder is sh!t with his feet, but Nordfeldt is way better.

And Potter didn't drop him, it was the plan all along.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:25 - Apr 19 with 775 viewsItchySphincter

Mulder is a better keeper but his distribution is poor and he struggles to restart the game.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:32 - Apr 19 with 766 viewsjasper_T

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:25 - Apr 19 by ItchySphincter

Mulder is a better keeper but his distribution is poor and he struggles to restart the game.

He's clearly better with his feet than Fabianski was, and Fabs was statistically better than average in the PL in terms of distribution (and everything else), despite many Swans fans opinions on the matter.

We're also a lot better at playing out as a team than we were during Mulder's run. The shape of the team was changing every week until mid-December. So while Nordfeldt is better at those heart in your mouth passes into midfield, it's not night and day between the two.

Benda's very similar. All three are coached to play the same passes and patterns.
Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:46 - Apr 19 with 745 viewstheloneranger

2 words you never hear coming from Nordfeldt ...

"Keeper's ball"

Everyday above ground ... Is a good day! 😎

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 01:06 - Apr 20 with 721 viewsJackflack

Football is a simple game.
Score more than you concede and it’s a good day at the office

Lets be nice, we're all newbees on here.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 01:10 - Apr 20 with 716 viewsDJack

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 01:06 - Apr 20 by Jackflack

Football is a simple game.
Score more than you concede and it’s a good day at the office

Yay, Flacky!

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 01:17 - Apr 20 with 710 viewsJackflack

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 01:10 - Apr 20 by DJack

Yay, Flacky!

Evening D

Lets be nice, we're all newbees on here.

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 01:31 - Apr 20 with 704 views34dfgdf54

Let’s talk about the defence under Potter on 23:04 - Apr 19 by jasper_T

The stats clearly show that CCV wins less than his fair share of aerial duels (as do today's match highlights), while Big Joe wins more.

Which stats are these? Link?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024