Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" 09:56 - Nov 18 with 21211 viewssP7qupUf

Is this a genuine attempt to address pressing issues or a smokescreen to detract away from the ongoing issues with the C-19 pandemic, emerging issues around cronyism and the potential disaster with the "oven ready" Brexit deal? The lack of detail would suggest the latter to my mind.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:09 - Nov 20 with 1310 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:58 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

You seem to think that a a foot or two of tidal increase is enough water to run the Turbines at full power, which is what the Tidal laggon would have done.

The Turbines need to be permenantly under water, not in a lagoon, so you are talking deep sea installation.
Have you ever wondered why a lot of the world is not being run on Tidal power already?

The turbines in the lagoon would have been under water and generating for the vast majority of the time.

A lot of the world isn't being run on tidal power because firstly its hard to harness and secondly they don't have access to significant tidal streams.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:12 - Nov 20 with 1305 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:04 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

"When storage technology has improved it'll be a combination of wind, solar and tidal that'll provide what we need."

Dream on.

If it ever comes about you won't be able to afford the electricity it produces and it will save zero CO2, which is what it is supposed be all about.
According to the latest reports the offshore Turbines are wearing out much faster than on land ones due to the adverse conditions which degrades their performance by as much as 4.5% per year.
https://www.manhattan-institute.org/dismal-economics-offshore-wind-energy
Their maintenance is very difficult and very expensive.
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 12:42]

Humans have been on this planet for a blink of an eye of the history of the planet. In that incredibly short time we've gone from living in caves to having people living in space.

That technology is a relative doddle in comparison. It is coming and will be affordable eventually.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:14 - Nov 20 with 1302 viewsCatullus

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:58 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

You seem to think that a a foot or two of tidal increase is enough water to run the Turbines at full power, which is what the Tidal laggon would have done.

The Turbines need to be permenantly under water, not in a lagoon, so you are talking deep sea installation.
Have you ever wondered why a lot of the world is not being run on Tidal power already?

Replying to your last 2 posts in one go,

As I said, I am suspiciius of adjusted data and the reasons for adjusting it. Surely it reduces accuracy, changes the outcome?

About the lagoon. I haven't looked at it too closely but wouldn't it be the case that the generating plant would be at the bottom of the lagoon wall? So generating for all of the rise and fall.

I'm also with Dr W on the idea of putting hydro plant in rivers. Every time a bridge is replaced, a new one built, we should put hydro plant in. All we need to do is design them properly. I know people will say it's an expensive idea and right now it is but unless we find a way to stop using fossil fuels so much nothing will change.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:18 - Nov 20 with 1297 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:14 - Nov 20 by Catullus

Replying to your last 2 posts in one go,

As I said, I am suspiciius of adjusted data and the reasons for adjusting it. Surely it reduces accuracy, changes the outcome?

About the lagoon. I haven't looked at it too closely but wouldn't it be the case that the generating plant would be at the bottom of the lagoon wall? So generating for all of the rise and fall.

I'm also with Dr W on the idea of putting hydro plant in rivers. Every time a bridge is replaced, a new one built, we should put hydro plant in. All we need to do is design them properly. I know people will say it's an expensive idea and right now it is but unless we find a way to stop using fossil fuels so much nothing will change.

Not only is it expensive for a very small gain it also changes the characteristics of the river and the surrounding area.
Can you imagine laying the necessary cables to connect to the grid with hundreds of small turbines?

When are you going to answer my post on Pollution on the banning Petrol and Deisel cars post?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:23 - Nov 20 with 1293 viewsHighjack

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:37 - Nov 20 by Scotia

The actual time where there is no tidal flow is very small indeed. In some tides less than 2 hours a day.

Tidal energy has huge potential especially around here. As you say the Bristol channel has the second highest range in the world after the Bay of Fundy in Canada.

Wouldn’t having huge tides potentially cause problems? Wind turbines sometimes have to be shut off when the wind gets beyond a certain speed to avoid damage. Big tides may not only mean more power but also potentially more difficult maintenance because of the sheer force that’s being imparted. Surely it would be more efficient to work in areas with smaller tides?

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:34 - Nov 20 with 1290 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:23 - Nov 20 by Highjack

Wouldn’t having huge tides potentially cause problems? Wind turbines sometimes have to be shut off when the wind gets beyond a certain speed to avoid damage. Big tides may not only mean more power but also potentially more difficult maintenance because of the sheer force that’s being imparted. Surely it would be more efficient to work in areas with smaller tides?

The actual size of the tide is immaterial if the Turbines are totally submerged at all times, ie out in the Bristol Channel on the sea bed.
For maintenance they would need to be able to be brought to the surface.
The fact that they aren't already in major use should tell you something, it is not as if they haven't been trying them since 1966.
The Scottish one has managed to keep running for a year now.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/01/tidal-renewable-energy-turbine-electricit
[Post edited 20 Nov 2020 12:39]
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 14:52 - Nov 20 with 1277 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:23 - Nov 20 by Highjack

In theory yes. But we know the tidal range for many years in the future, turbines could be built to accommodate them. In theory of course.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 15:23 - Nov 20 with 1267 viewsCatullus

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:18 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Not only is it expensive for a very small gain it also changes the characteristics of the river and the surrounding area.
Can you imagine laying the necessary cables to connect to the grid with hundreds of small turbines?

When are you going to answer my post on Pollution on the banning Petrol and Deisel cars post?

I haven't seen the post so can't answer it and due to a general apathy about searching through threads I won't look for it. I tend to click on the last page and go from there. Only every now and again will I go looking to see who answered me, if there's something I am really into.

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Login to get fewer ads

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:14 - Nov 20 with 1258 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 12:18 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Not necessarily.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:25 - Nov 20 with 1256 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:14 - Nov 20 by Scotia

Not necessarily.

Well, perhaps you can provide a cost estimate and also an Eco study of the affects to the local countyside seeing has how that it your job.
Taking in to account all the fish and mammals involved as you do.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:34 - Nov 20 with 1253 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 15:23 - Nov 20 by Catullus

I haven't seen the post so can't answer it and due to a general apathy about searching through threads I won't look for it. I tend to click on the last page and go from there. Only every now and again will I go looking to see who answered me, if there's something I am really into.

Well, I posted the response quite quickly while it was on the front page and it still is on my front page.
But you tried to suggest that there was a correlation between vehicle pollution and pollution in general with Asthma.
I pointed you to the official Government statistics that show that all atmospheric pollutants have anti-correlation with a rise in both Asthma and Allergies.
So maybe the atmosphere is too clean, as that makes more sense than your suggestion.
Of course there may be another reason.
For instance if I was an anti vaxxer I would suggest the MMR vaccine, if I was a Breast is best person (and I am) then maybe bottle feeding is to blame.
Especially as there was a switch from Glass to Plastic feeding bottles.
Others have suggested that homes and kids are too clean and their immune systems do not devlop as they used to.

But obviously you didn't really want to look at the actual data, as you prefer to stick with your opinion.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:37 - Nov 20 with 1251 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:14 - Nov 20 by Scotia

Not necessarily.

When are you going to pass an opinion on the Temperature Data Adjustments I highlighted.
Do you think they are acceptable?
Or are you trying to hide from the facts?

There are quite a few more I have waiting to show you.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:47 - Nov 20 with 1248 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:37 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

When are you going to pass an opinion on the Temperature Data Adjustments I highlighted.
Do you think they are acceptable?
Or are you trying to hide from the facts?

There are quite a few more I have waiting to show you.

You haven't highlighted any? I'm totally confident I can dismiss them.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:08 - Nov 20 with 1244 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:25 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Well, perhaps you can provide a cost estimate and also an Eco study of the affects to the local countyside seeing has how that it your job.
Taking in to account all the fish and mammals involved as you do.

If you want to provide a specific example I would be happy to.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:19 - Nov 20 with 1237 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:47 - Nov 20 by Scotia

You haven't highlighted any? I'm totally confident I can dismiss them.

How could you possibly have missed my post at 11:42 - Nov 20?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:25 - Nov 20 with 1234 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:08 - Nov 20 by Scotia

If you want to provide a specific example I would be happy to.

Well how about starting with the Tawe, seeing as it is local.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 20:00 - Nov 20 with 1219 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:25 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Well how about starting with the Tawe, seeing as it is local.

I don't know what you are talking about sorry, is there a specific hydro scheme on the Tawe you are referring to?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 20:29 - Nov 20 with 1216 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 20:00 - Nov 20 by Scotia

I don't know what you are talking about sorry, is there a specific hydro scheme on the Tawe you are referring to?

No, of course not, Cat is proposing replacing any bridge with a new bridge that includes a Hydro plant.
So what would happen if we replaced the bridges currently over the Tawe with one including a Hydro plant that is linked to the national Grid.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:05 - Nov 20 with 1213 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 20:29 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

No, of course not, Cat is proposing replacing any bridge with a new bridge that includes a Hydro plant.
So what would happen if we replaced the bridges currently over the Tawe with one including a Hydro plant that is linked to the national Grid.

With hindsight the barrage in the marina was a missed opportunity. Retro fitting would be expensive.

There are plenty of small hydro plants that work quite well. It's a technology in its infancy really.

Maybe one day.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:13 - Nov 20 with 1210 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:05 - Nov 20 by Scotia

With hindsight the barrage in the marina was a missed opportunity. Retro fitting would be expensive.

There are plenty of small hydro plants that work quite well. It's a technology in its infancy really.

Maybe one day.

Looked at the Temperature data yet?
Ready to justify the changes?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:33 - Nov 20 with 1207 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:13 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Looked at the Temperature data yet?
Ready to justify the changes?

I've just had a brief look. They seem to be from one site.

What do you think they show?
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:36 - Nov 20 with 1205 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 18:19 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

How could you possibly have missed my post at 11:42 - Nov 20?

Because I have a life.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:55 - Nov 20 with 1202 viewsCatullus

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 17:34 - Nov 20 by A_Fans_Dad

Well, I posted the response quite quickly while it was on the front page and it still is on my front page.
But you tried to suggest that there was a correlation between vehicle pollution and pollution in general with Asthma.
I pointed you to the official Government statistics that show that all atmospheric pollutants have anti-correlation with a rise in both Asthma and Allergies.
So maybe the atmosphere is too clean, as that makes more sense than your suggestion.
Of course there may be another reason.
For instance if I was an anti vaxxer I would suggest the MMR vaccine, if I was a Breast is best person (and I am) then maybe bottle feeding is to blame.
Especially as there was a switch from Glass to Plastic feeding bottles.
Others have suggested that homes and kids are too clean and their immune systems do not devlop as they used to.

But obviously you didn't really want to look at the actual data, as you prefer to stick with your opinion.

It's not just my opinion,

https://www.epa.gov/sciencematters/links-between-air-pollution-and-childhood-ast

Air pollution makes asthma worse. I am aware of claims that being too clean is bad for us. It'ssomething I have seen a fw times and it wouldn't surprise me. The info and advice changes all the time and we cannot be 100% sure what is true/accurate.
Take my wife's advice during pregnancy. She told to avoid nuts because it might give our son an allergy. she followed the advice. Our son (at age 4) was diagnosed with a severe nut allergy and now the thinking is that it may be because he wasn't exposed to nut protein in the womb.
These things are constantly changing. Do you watch QI? I saw an old episode where they said that things they said were true at time of broadcast were no longer true. That's because science advances and what was considered true has been found to be wrong. That is something that won't stop. Much that we take to be true today will be wrong tomorrow.

You have to be willing to accept you could be wrong, be willing to adjust your opinion.

PS, you can post as quickly as you like but if I'm not looking anymore it won't matter and if I don't see it then I don't see it.

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 08:38 - Nov 21 with 1177 viewsScotia

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 11:49 - Nov 20 by Catullus

I think only Mont St Michel has a faster tidal flow too. I might be wrong and can't be bothered to check!

What you say about data, I accept it gets adjusted but it's the reasons for the adjustment I get suspicious over. For example, East Anglia Uni got caught adjusting data to make the science fit their argument over global warming. To me the data is the data and changing it changes the outcome, changes the results, which in turn changes the predictions made based on the data. Surely changing/adjusting data is largely flawed?

Changing the data to make it different to suit an argument is completely wrong, and invalidates any argument it is used for. Its not really data by that point just complete fabrication.

The nature of a lot of remote field based measurement means that it needs "adjustment" otherwise it would be useless for much of the time. It's also why there are multiple locations used.
Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 10:55 - Nov 21 with 1169 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Johnson"s "Green Industrial Revolution" on 21:33 - Nov 20 by Scotia

I've just had a brief look. They seem to be from one site.

What do you think they show?

You infer that I do not know what they show, that I only think I do.
Which is not correct, having spent at least the last 15 years investigating Climate Change I understand exactly what is being done and why they say that they are doing it. I have read the papers and seen the calculations.
So do you justify those changes yes or no.
If it is yes, what is your justification?
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024