Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
NFL Thread 18:57 - Dec 16 with 14198 viewsAtThePeake

Apologies to all the NFL fans but a technical issue with the other thread was stopping people from being able to read the later posts. We aren't sure what happened here so thought it was easier to lock the previous thread and start a new one. I won't delete the thread so people can go back and read it if needs be, but it's locked now.

(Really hoping someone starts an NBA thread when we get going in a week or so! Just me? Oh).

Tangled up in blue.

NFL Thread on 09:06 - Jan 29 with 2144 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 06:56 - Jan 29 by Nigeriamark

I hope at this early stage the Browns at least give an expression of interest. Nothing against Mayfield who has improved but Watson will advance 25+ teams by a few seasons. Apparently half of all teams have picked up the phone to the Texans

The plot thickens. According to ESPN, Deshaun Watson apparently won't force his way to any team and also he doesn't intend to veto a trade to "too many teams." So let the bidding war begin. He isn't going to come cheap and lots of teams will be backing the Brinks-Mat trucks up packaging players and picks. I also read no team has ever won the SB with a single player taking up more than 15% of the team's salary cap.

It's going to be a complex decision for GMs this. If you give up too many future picks you are mortgaging the future, so your team had better be close and have a lot of depth if players are being rolled into the deal and leaving as compo. I see this as something of an all in type of deal. Win now (or soon) and spend years in the wilderness rebuilding later down the line. I always remember discussing Tyrell Davis. My best mate moved to the US many moons ago and is a die hard Broncos fan. We used to debate how Shanny used him. He broke TD riding him so hard, but won 2 SBs on the back of a fore-shortened career. TD made the HoF. As America has largely a short-term fix, win now mentality for sport, I can see some huge offers coming in. As a more prudent Daley, I'm hoping the Fins are not getting involved in any of that. I prefer the Steelers/Ravens/Patriots "build a dynasty" approach and that doesn't involve going all in on an established star.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

NFL Thread on 09:46 - Jan 29 with 2129 viewsNigeriamark

NFL Thread on 09:06 - Jan 29 by DaleiLama

The plot thickens. According to ESPN, Deshaun Watson apparently won't force his way to any team and also he doesn't intend to veto a trade to "too many teams." So let the bidding war begin. He isn't going to come cheap and lots of teams will be backing the Brinks-Mat trucks up packaging players and picks. I also read no team has ever won the SB with a single player taking up more than 15% of the team's salary cap.

It's going to be a complex decision for GMs this. If you give up too many future picks you are mortgaging the future, so your team had better be close and have a lot of depth if players are being rolled into the deal and leaving as compo. I see this as something of an all in type of deal. Win now (or soon) and spend years in the wilderness rebuilding later down the line. I always remember discussing Tyrell Davis. My best mate moved to the US many moons ago and is a die hard Broncos fan. We used to debate how Shanny used him. He broke TD riding him so hard, but won 2 SBs on the back of a fore-shortened career. TD made the HoF. As America has largely a short-term fix, win now mentality for sport, I can see some huge offers coming in. As a more prudent Daley, I'm hoping the Fins are not getting involved in any of that. I prefer the Steelers/Ravens/Patriots "build a dynasty" approach and that doesn't involve going all in on an established star.

Just listened to the "around the NFL" Podcast ( the best NFL talk show in my opinion) and it has been indicated that Watson's top 2 choices are the Fins & Jets. However he's not insisting on these.
NFL Thread on 11:16 - Jan 29 with 2097 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 09:46 - Jan 29 by Nigeriamark

Just listened to the "around the NFL" Podcast ( the best NFL talk show in my opinion) and it has been indicated that Watson's top 2 choices are the Fins & Jets. However he's not insisting on these.

Oh - whilst I wouldn't want him in the Division, I'd rather he went to the Jets than to Miami. We can build a team first roster around Tua with the picks and cap space we have. That means we'll trade for Watson then!

Edit: Update on speculation with Miami

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/following-deshaun-watson-trade-request-dolphi
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 15:06]

NFL Thread on 17:48 - Jan 29 with 2063 viewswatford_dale

NFL Thread on 11:16 - Jan 29 by DaleiLama

Oh - whilst I wouldn't want him in the Division, I'd rather he went to the Jets than to Miami. We can build a team first roster around Tua with the picks and cap space we have. That means we'll trade for Watson then!

Edit: Update on speculation with Miami

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/following-deshaun-watson-trade-request-dolphi
[Post edited 29 Jan 2021 15:06]

He does have a no trade clause but the Texans set the price. Building a team around Tua, he didn't play much this season but will have to see when he takes #1 spot next year.

I think the Jets have the most picks to offer at the current moment in time and they will just need to go out and buy an O Line like the Bills did and go from there. Still leaves Sam Darnold to be traded somewhere.

Rodgers, the LA Rams may be a destination since the GM said the other day that 'Goff is an LA Ram in this moment'. Doesn't say much for the long term prospects of one of them.

If they are built for a win now due to age (49ers 4th oldest team in NFL) or team looking for a resurgence (Rams after flying high under Gurley and Goff) then a few people have seen the 43yr old QB get his team to the SB. With Rodgers you would have 5 years on Brady and the guy can still rainbow it into the end zone.
NFL Thread on 10:51 - Jan 31 with 2011 viewsrichfoad32

Stafford to Rams for Goff and two first round picks...Is it me or does it seem like they got fleeced? (no, this wasn't intended for the Baah thread)
NFL Thread on 11:41 - Jan 31 with 1990 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 10:51 - Jan 31 by richfoad32

Stafford to Rams for Goff and two first round picks...Is it me or does it seem like they got fleeced? (no, this wasn't intended for the Baah thread)

And a 3rd round pick Rich! And Stafford will be 33 soon. Lions ate a lot of fully guaranteed money ($43m reported) though. Then there's this.

That's a really long stretch to only have a single first rounder on your roster. I'm with you - the Rams got hosed on the deal.

NFL Thread on 16:00 - Feb 3 with 1907 viewsNigeriamark

NFL Thread on 11:41 - Jan 31 by DaleiLama

And a 3rd round pick Rich! And Stafford will be 33 soon. Lions ate a lot of fully guaranteed money ($43m reported) though. Then there's this.

That's a really long stretch to only have a single first rounder on your roster. I'm with you - the Rams got hosed on the deal.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/american-football/55904033

a warm up to Super Bowl week. 1st time I've got 100% on a quiz but it's so easy you have time to enter all 32 teams to get top marks

The more the week goes on the more I am leaning to the Bucs. now I'm about 55/45 in favour of the Chiefs whereas it was about 80/20. Bucs still dependent on Mahomes having an off night & no picks by Brady. However the defence looks good & you almost feel that it's destiny for TB to win with another team

On the Rams - They have really gone Super Bowl or bust. Stafford gives them a shot but if they don't do anything in the next 2 years it could be 10 years in the wilderness.

Jets now seem to be favourites for Watson but many twists in that tale to come It think. No news yet on Brees but Big Ben wants to come back which is a bit of a surprise ( and as a Browns fan it may not be that bad as I think he's on the way down).

Depending on the Watson situation, if it happens, it could start a bit of a QB merry go round
NFL Thread on 11:20 - Feb 4 with 1864 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 16:00 - Feb 3 by Nigeriamark

a warm up to Super Bowl week. 1st time I've got 100% on a quiz but it's so easy you have time to enter all 32 teams to get top marks

The more the week goes on the more I am leaning to the Bucs. now I'm about 55/45 in favour of the Chiefs whereas it was about 80/20. Bucs still dependent on Mahomes having an off night & no picks by Brady. However the defence looks good & you almost feel that it's destiny for TB to win with another team

On the Rams - They have really gone Super Bowl or bust. Stafford gives them a shot but if they don't do anything in the next 2 years it could be 10 years in the wilderness.

Jets now seem to be favourites for Watson but many twists in that tale to come It think. No news yet on Brees but Big Ben wants to come back which is a bit of a surprise ( and as a Browns fan it may not be that bad as I think he's on the way down).

Depending on the Watson situation, if it happens, it could start a bit of a QB merry go round

I'm still favouring the Chiefs simply because they have so many weapons and can hurt you in so many different ways. No matter what you try to take away, they will find a way to exploit a defence. Having said that, Brady's record speaks for itself so wouldn't be shocked if TB won, but he doesn't like pass rush and can struggle with the blitz if you hit him early and often, which I expect KC to do.

KC brought a hairdresser in and 20 of the squad were slated for a trim. Mid first cut, the barber tested positive so he was immediately pulled as was the centre, Kilgore (ex Fin). If he is still negative on Saturday he can still travel and play. Below is literally where the barber got up to! Amused me anyway.

Login to get fewer ads

NFL Thread on 12:43 - Feb 5 with 1818 viewswatford_dale

NFL Thread on 16:00 - Feb 3 by Nigeriamark

I bet Ben wants to come back, his salary for 2021 is $41.25m but his arm has gone and with half the team due to hit free agency then cutting him would be beneficial but to be replaced with who? Whole team needs looking at.

Watson wants the Jets, who have a lot of cap space and he will be in position to give them a list of receivers that he would like to play with. Maybe Smith-Schuster will turn up there along with a few free agent signings.

Rodgers, apparently wants payback and has requested an improved contract to stay in GB. Cheesed off that the Packers traded up to draft a QB at #1 last year at the expense of drafting receivers to help him, if he does get his wishes then will expect the QB not to hang around for 3 - 4 years.

SB
Chief to win by 13 - 18 points
total game points 61 - 70
Brady interception +0.5
Hill score first td
TB field goal for first score
NFL Thread on 10:35 - Feb 7 with 1757 viewsDaleiLama

Regardless of any enmity towards the Pats (which I confess to having) this is remarkable:

254 players were picked in the 2000 draft.
21 stuck around past 2010.
3 made it to 2015.
1 is in the 2021 Superbowl.

(Pick number 199 in 6th round and has 6 Superbowl rings)

NFL Thread on 05:15 - Feb 8 with 1718 viewsNigeriamark

NFL Thread on 10:35 - Feb 7 by DaleiLama

Regardless of any enmity towards the Pats (which I confess to having) this is remarkable:

254 players were picked in the 2000 draft.
21 stuck around past 2010.
3 made it to 2015.
1 is in the 2021 Superbowl.

(Pick number 199 in 6th round and has 6 Superbowl rings)

Well you can make that 7 rings now. The Bucs dominated from start to finish with the Defence absolutely brilliant. Brady had a great game but the defence MVPs for me. 1st Time Mahomes has lost by double digits or failed to score at least 10 points

Brady had the highest pass completion in the first half in a Super Bowl too, and then controlled the clock & the second half. Fascinating watch in the first 3 quarters because I was always expecting to see KC step it up but it never happened. Kelce did OK but Hill was disappointing & completely controlled. Who would have thought Gronk would be the TE of the match?

Brady says he want to play until he is 45 but would now be a good time to walk away while at the top? I don't think he will but TB need to keep that defence for next year.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2021 5:19]
NFL Thread on 22:47 - Mar 16 with 1515 viewsDaleiLama

With crypto currency featuring on another thread, seems like the Pats are mortgaging the future and paying by Billcoin.

Rumours abound of them now having few needs in the draft giving them ammo to trade up for a QB despite giving Cam another year.

Someone seems to think they know what they're doing

NFL Thread on 16:02 - Mar 17 with 1424 viewswatford_dale

NFL Thread on 22:47 - Mar 16 by DaleiLama

With crypto currency featuring on another thread, seems like the Pats are mortgaging the future and paying by Billcoin.

Rumours abound of them now having few needs in the draft giving them ammo to trade up for a QB despite giving Cam another year.

Someone seems to think they know what they're doing

I think they have gone for 2 TE's to try and replicate what they had before Aaron Hernandez was jailed for murder. Predict they will draft in a qb for the future but just tolerate a lot of short passing to 2 massive TE's this season.

Fitzmagic to washington on a one year - same approach as Alex Smith but not then having to worry about him snapping his leg every down he plays.

Wentz went back to his old college coach.

Dalton gone to Chicago ($10m) for one year and the search will inevitably continue unless Dalton plays a blinder. Surely a GM to be fired, first trade up to get Trubisky and go past a couple of qb's named Mahommes and Watson in the trade and then employ a coach who doesn't want to coach Trubisky and has a downer on him.

Watson - Texans are holding out, there was talk around Cardinals trading Kyler Murray for Watson. Problem is that the head coach of Cards loves Murray and he is great but Watson, well he is just better. Love to see that one come off in the toughest division in the nfl next season.
NFL Thread on 16:22 - Mar 17 with 1416 viewsDaleiLama

NFL Thread on 16:02 - Mar 17 by watford_dale

I think they have gone for 2 TE's to try and replicate what they had before Aaron Hernandez was jailed for murder. Predict they will draft in a qb for the future but just tolerate a lot of short passing to 2 massive TE's this season.

Fitzmagic to washington on a one year - same approach as Alex Smith but not then having to worry about him snapping his leg every down he plays.

Wentz went back to his old college coach.

Dalton gone to Chicago ($10m) for one year and the search will inevitably continue unless Dalton plays a blinder. Surely a GM to be fired, first trade up to get Trubisky and go past a couple of qb's named Mahommes and Watson in the trade and then employ a coach who doesn't want to coach Trubisky and has a downer on him.

Watson - Texans are holding out, there was talk around Cardinals trading Kyler Murray for Watson. Problem is that the head coach of Cards loves Murray and he is great but Watson, well he is just better. Love to see that one come off in the toughest division in the nfl next season.

All the talk is Pats to trade up into top 10 for a future QB, but BB never does what is expected. they certainly want a QB to sit behind Cam.

Sat to see Fitz leave my Fins, but the adventure continues. Wonderful bloke!

Texans picked up Tyrod Taylor yesterday and paying him $12m/y on a one year deal ...... that pretty much confirms Watson will move. The Fins have plenty of cap room, plenty of ammo in picks and no significant FA moves as yet ......

NFL Thread on 11:50 - Mar 18 with 1349 viewsNigeriamark

NFL Thread on 16:22 - Mar 17 by DaleiLama

All the talk is Pats to trade up into top 10 for a future QB, but BB never does what is expected. they certainly want a QB to sit behind Cam.

Sat to see Fitz leave my Fins, but the adventure continues. Wonderful bloke!

Texans picked up Tyrod Taylor yesterday and paying him $12m/y on a one year deal ...... that pretty much confirms Watson will move. The Fins have plenty of cap room, plenty of ammo in picks and no significant FA moves as yet ......

After the first few days of the free trade frenzy, there seems to be plenty of good players left. Golladay the best still & it seems WRs not being chased at the moment. A lot more being spent on shoring up defensive & offensive lines rather than the scoring talent. The cap is leading to good players being cut to free up space. A lot more action leading up to the draft to come with some players perhaps not getting what they or their agent want.
Can't remember who it was but 1 player who was offered over $50m for 3 years by his current club decided it was a disrespectful amount & left. He got a 2 year $25m deal with another club. Bet he doesn't have the same agent now

Browns very quiet at the moment.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024