Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fitzos latest musings 18:20 - Dec 20 with 2469 viewsjudd

https://rochdaleafcnews.com/2020/12/20/what-now-for-brian-barry-murphy/

A cracking, superbly balanced piece of writing with plenty of discussion points arising. Cheers, Fitzo.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Fitzos latest musings on 18:44 - Dec 20 with 2401 viewspioneer

Yes, I cant find anything to disagree with in that - and that is unusual for me.
Fitzos latest musings on 18:45 - Dec 20 with 2402 viewsisitme

Good article with lots of valid points, although Carlos Ancelloti was not only a professional footballer but an Italian international as well.
Fitzos latest musings on 18:51 - Dec 20 with 2382 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 18:45 - Dec 20 by isitme

Good article with lots of valid points, although Carlos Ancelloti was not only a professional footballer but an Italian international as well.

Good point about Ancelloti. Maybe mixing up with Mourinho?

Fitzos latest musings on 18:56 - Dec 20 with 2364 viewsfitzochris

Fitzos latest musings on 18:51 - Dec 20 by judd

Good point about Ancelloti. Maybe mixing up with Mourinho?

Nope it’s my bad and an horrific editing oversight. I copied and pasted an Arrigo Sacchi quote from my Twitter conversation with Dean last night and fooked it up by typing in Ancelotti. Fixed now though.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 19:16]

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Fitzos latest musings on 19:01 - Dec 20 with 2353 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 18:56 - Dec 20 by fitzochris

Nope it’s my bad and an horrific editing oversight. I copied and pasted an Arrigo Sacchi quote from my Twitter conversation with Dean last night and fooked it up by typing in Ancelotti. Fixed now though.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 19:16]

Hang your hands in shame (8)

Fitzos latest musings on 19:06 - Dec 20 with 2344 viewsfitzochris

Fitzos latest musings on 19:01 - Dec 20 by judd

Hang your hands in shame (8)

They are reet hanging. Hopefully the quote is there now and the paragraph makes sense?

Fitzos latest musings on 19:18 - Dec 20 with 2306 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 19:06 - Dec 20 by fitzochris

They are reet hanging. Hopefully the quote is there now and the paragraph makes sense?

Aye.

Interesting suggestion about bringing in yet more off field reinforcement, when the first team is desperate for on field investment.

And also that BBM was linked to the new bury Phoenix club job

Fitzos latest musings on 19:20 - Dec 20 with 2298 viewsfitzochris

Fitzos latest musings on 19:18 - Dec 20 by judd

Aye.

Interesting suggestion about bringing in yet more off field reinforcement, when the first team is desperate for on field investment.

Complete arf at the latter.

Login to get fewer ads

Fitzos latest musings on 19:21 - Dec 20 with 2291 viewsJames1980

Fitzos latest musings on 19:18 - Dec 20 by judd

Aye.

Wasn't one of the plans for the American investors, if they got a controlling share, to bring in a director of football?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Fitzos latest musings on 19:25 - Dec 20 with 2276 viewsfitzochris

Fitzos latest musings on 19:21 - Dec 20 by James1980

Wasn't one of the plans for the American investors, if they got a controlling share, to bring in a director of football?

It was, James. It certainly was.

Fitzos latest musings on 19:29 - Dec 20 with 2269 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 19:25 - Dec 20 by fitzochris

It was, James. It certainly was.

There wasn’t a pandemic at that time though.

Not convinced we can afford a VP - Soccerball in any case

Fitzos latest musings on 19:44 - Dec 20 with 2223 viewsJames1980

Fitzos latest musings on 19:29 - Dec 20 by judd

There wasn’t a pandemic at that time though.

Not convinced we can afford a VP - Soccerball in any case

If we free up some cash in January perhaps we could.

Fitzos latest musings on 19:49 - Dec 20 with 2212 viewsPlattyswrinklynuts

Fitzos latest musings on 19:21 - Dec 20 by James1980

Directors of football have been at best questionable even at PL level, at L1 they are a luxury we just can’t afford.
BBM showed after Hills sacking that he could be pragmatic and grind out results, that’s what ultimately kept us up. But it’s his team now so he must sink or swim on his own merits. It’s one thing playing football the “right” way which will produce players that could go in to bigger things & benefit the club financially but if that doesn’t help in terms of results...
Fitzos latest musings on 20:01 - Dec 20 with 2189 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 19:44 - Dec 20 by James1980

If we free up some cash in January perhaps we could.

And do what, exactly?

Plattyswrinklynuts makes a great point

Fitzos latest musings on 20:10 - Dec 20 with 2162 viewsboromat

I'm not really one for directors of football especially at clubs like ours.

However the lack of backroom experience at the moment is probably the most it's been for a long time. Tony Ellis is obviously the main experience we have behind the scenes but I'm not aware of many others at the moment. Obviously this may be offset to some degree with some of the experienced players taking on some of the responsibility but how much this is happening I don't know. Jim, McShane, Lund, Ryan all experienced pros.

I think I'd like to see so movement in the squad in January where is makes sense. Left back for example and if there are any non league players we want and can pick up permanently in January then we should. In the summer I think some of the players could migrate into full time coaching roles like BBM did. Maybe bringing someone in from external would also have its advantages.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Fitzos latest musings on 20:14 - Dec 20 with 2151 viewsJames1980

Fitzos latest musings on 20:01 - Dec 20 by judd

And do what, exactly?

Plattyswrinklynuts makes a great point

Not saying we should, but reassigning some finances might mean that we could.

Fitzos latest musings on 20:22 - Dec 20 with 2123 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 20:14 - Dec 20 by James1980

Not saying we should, but reassigning some finances might mean that we could.

Understood, but if finances are available it would be more prudent to invest in fit players, in my opinion.

Fitzos latest musings on 20:30 - Dec 20 with 2104 viewsJames1980

Fitzos latest musings on 20:22 - Dec 20 by judd

Understood, but if finances are available it would be more prudent to invest in fit players, in my opinion.

Who knows maybe we could have both.

Fitzos latest musings on 20:38 - Dec 20 with 2085 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 20:30 - Dec 20 by James1980

Who knows maybe we could have both.

Are the pubs open round your way? 😁😁😁

Fitzos latest musings on 20:44 - Dec 20 with 2066 viewsJames1980

Fitzos latest musings on 20:38 - Dec 20 by judd

Are the pubs open round your way? 😁😁😁

They are I last went on Friday.

Fitzos latest musings on 20:45 - Dec 20 with 2061 viewsD_Alien

I'll add my thanks to Fitz for putting together a pretty succinct but comprehensive summary of where we are - and specifically where BBM is

If i were to add anything, i think it'd be that in approaching two years in charge there will soon come a point where 'inexperience' can no longer be put forward in mitigation

What counts in terms of inexperience is a learning curve, and the most disappointing aspect of all regarding BBM is his seeming inability to learn from some basic mistakes

One could cite the matter of not having subs prepared, even five minutes after an injury has occurred which looks like the player concerned having to leave the field. What seems to happen is, he waits till the player has left before the sub starts warming up, leaving us with 10 men. It's not exactly a crime but it points towards something that perhaps runs deeper - an inability to think through a given situation. That's where someone with considerable experience to assist him might help - but its also something that most people would anticipate regardless of experience

Some of Fitz's most telling points revolve around how he's perceived by the wider football community; these being things that aren't obvious to most of us. Being well-regarded is clearly not enough; we as Dale fans (in the main) have regarded him highly

It's make or break time, on several fronts. For BBM personally, for the club going into January, and for the fans; this article is therefore very timely indeed. Thanks again
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 20:47]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fitzos latest musings on 21:02 - Dec 20 with 2027 viewsjudd

Fitzos latest musings on 20:45 - Dec 20 by D_Alien

I'll add my thanks to Fitz for putting together a pretty succinct but comprehensive summary of where we are - and specifically where BBM is

If i were to add anything, i think it'd be that in approaching two years in charge there will soon come a point where 'inexperience' can no longer be put forward in mitigation

What counts in terms of inexperience is a learning curve, and the most disappointing aspect of all regarding BBM is his seeming inability to learn from some basic mistakes

One could cite the matter of not having subs prepared, even five minutes after an injury has occurred which looks like the player concerned having to leave the field. What seems to happen is, he waits till the player has left before the sub starts warming up, leaving us with 10 men. It's not exactly a crime but it points towards something that perhaps runs deeper - an inability to think through a given situation. That's where someone with considerable experience to assist him might help - but its also something that most people would anticipate regardless of experience

Some of Fitz's most telling points revolve around how he's perceived by the wider football community; these being things that aren't obvious to most of us. Being well-regarded is clearly not enough; we as Dale fans (in the main) have regarded him highly

It's make or break time, on several fronts. For BBM personally, for the club going into January, and for the fans; this article is therefore very timely indeed. Thanks again
[Post edited 20 Dec 2020 20:47]

Well said.

I’d be extremely disappointed if, having removed BBMs legs, he is being judged on winning a sprint.

I watched the recent webinar when the club went to the community to ask what they could do for the community and BBM was outstanding. I know it wasn’t exactly first team related but he cares and is clearly capable of thinking for himself.

Fitzos latest musings on 09:01 - Dec 21 with 1641 viewsBoss_Hog

Great article and some strong points have been made. BBM has made solid signings thus far given the restraints placed upon him, however the likes of McLaughlin and McShane simply don't spend enough time on the green stuff. Given we were operating with a small squad, this is therefore a mistake as was the resigning of Matt Done. We have slim to no chance of rehousing Done, so we are stuck with him until June.

The upcoming transfer window will be key in terms of new recruits. As identified Bola isn't good enough and we are lacking in many positions. BBM will have his hands tied, but like his debut season, he will need to work wonders and spin lots of plates.
Fitzos latest musings on 09:09 - Dec 21 with 1615 viewsYouTubeDale

Perhaps McShane could step up to a number 2 role and add his considerable knowhow acquired over the years.
Yes, there is a lack of steel in the squad and players need to go in order to bring more physical players in. Agreed Done is an example of one who needs to go. How many times can he be offside? He can't find the net and coming on as a sub he's no longer a game changer. There are too many nice tippy tappy players at the club and the balance isn't right.
Yes we did have a plan B on Saturday when we were pressed hard and that was the long ball. I don't mind that tactic if we can execute it. But the quality of passes to the front men was pathetic. It was worse than Sunday pub football. Quite often the ball was kicked out of play giving them a goal kick and/or down the far left where no blue shirt existed. It was excruciating to see. If we had this plan B in our locker then why did we not work it to death in training? The evidence before us suggested zero training for the long ball tactic.
Agree changes need to be made and BBM should be able to see it. If he can't then it's the Board's job to see it for him.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024