Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" 14:05 - Apr 16 with 8496 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/54808/chris-dunphy-doesnt-h

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 08:04 - Apr 17 with 3026 viewsVivaDonaldo

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 01:22 - Apr 17 by Hopwoodblue

One of the big differences for me is, over the years we have always struggled to make ends meet whoever has been sat in the boardroom but I can honestly say I don’t think I have ever heard the directors moan about it more than this lot do. It seems to be their go to excuse, and yes I get Covid has had big impact on football but Christ don’t we know about it. Talk about using it as a get out of jail card !
I’m sure the likes of Accrington are struggling just as much as we are, but seemed to have managed to prioritise the playing side of matters above all else. I’d rather be skint going into next season in Div one than where we are heading, because with the gates we will be getting next season and beyond are going to make us financially, a lot worse off in the long run.
Talk about being short sighted.
This lot take the biscuit !
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 1:31]

The Accy point is nonsense.

Any interaction or interview with their chairman and he'll tell you its much the opposite, with work being done off the field to match their league one standing.

They also have a multi millionaire owner who can support the club financially when needed. We don't.

COVID was always going to hit us hard and with the lack of a cup run or player sale.

The board were on a hiding to nothing this year but certainly haven't helped themselves with recent decisions and indecision.

My major worry is with so many significant shareholders holding onto their stake, but either not being interested or not being able to take a more hands on role in the club, where is the room for new blood?

As fantastic as the likes of the Overcoat men and the like have been for us, surely they would be best served selling to a reputable newcomer?

I suppose the next question is where do we find the new people? It was a key query I had over Chris Dunphy's return.

Even if these major shareholders don't like the Dunphy return, are they in effect blockers for a lot of other options too?
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:11 - Apr 17 with 2814 viewsfitzochris

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 08:04 - Apr 17 by VivaDonaldo

The Accy point is nonsense.

Any interaction or interview with their chairman and he'll tell you its much the opposite, with work being done off the field to match their league one standing.

They also have a multi millionaire owner who can support the club financially when needed. We don't.

COVID was always going to hit us hard and with the lack of a cup run or player sale.

The board were on a hiding to nothing this year but certainly haven't helped themselves with recent decisions and indecision.

My major worry is with so many significant shareholders holding onto their stake, but either not being interested or not being able to take a more hands on role in the club, where is the room for new blood?

As fantastic as the likes of the Overcoat men and the like have been for us, surely they would be best served selling to a reputable newcomer?

I suppose the next question is where do we find the new people? It was a key query I had over Chris Dunphy's return.

Even if these major shareholders don't like the Dunphy return, are they in effect blockers for a lot of other options too?

The problem current shareholders have, Overcoat Men included, is that they are rightly reluctant to sell their shares to another individual or group, as that money doesn’t go back into the club. Any plan for investment now has to revolve around new shares being made available for purchase, surely? That way the investment goes to where it’s most needed and not into somebody’s pocket.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:35 - Apr 17 with 2770 viewstony_roch975

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:11 - Apr 17 by fitzochris

The problem current shareholders have, Overcoat Men included, is that they are rightly reluctant to sell their shares to another individual or group, as that money doesn’t go back into the club. Any plan for investment now has to revolve around new shares being made available for purchase, surely? That way the investment goes to where it’s most needed and not into somebody’s pocket.

Good point, which is exactly what the Board were proposing before Covid hit. We need to know the financial hit the Club has taken with Covid (after the predicted profit from 2019/20) so that the amount needed to stabilise is clear - £1M 'investment' to merely claw back a loss is a very different angle from the circa £4M valuation I think the Board had placed on the shares issue negotiation with Altman & Marcelli. Of course a share issue will also dilute the relative influence of current shareholders, including the Trust. Equally, VD made a good point that currently the shareholding (voting) power seems to lie with people who aren't going to become directors - unless you know something more?

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:45 - Apr 17 with 2749 viewsYouTubeDale

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:11 - Apr 17 by fitzochris

Nail on head Fitzo.

That is the crux of the matter getting a meaningful sum of new money injected into the club from trusted people. I am sure this is what AK and the Overcoat men are working on at the moment. CD didn't put up enough money in his bid, and if he could choose to raise his bid significantly then perhaps the reigns of power could be handed over to him. My guess is that CD has the necessary money but is he willing to part with it?

What we don't want ofcourse is monies raised which also sit on our balance sheet as liabilities, that is, borrowings against our assets.

Jesus saves but Beasley scores off the rebound.
Poll: Do you want Keith Hill to leave immediately?

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:54 - Apr 17 with 2716 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

I think we the fans need to look amongst ourselves to see what finances can be raised. Pledges on paper can lift heads and force people to listen, should there be enough of us. Just as an example, I know it's difficult especially in these times, but if 1,000 supporters pledge £1,000 each then that sort of muscle would surely have a big influence. I would put my money where my mouth is. I'd do anything to ensure the club doesn't go to the wall.
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 11:58 - Apr 17 with 2573 viewselectricblue

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:54 - Apr 17 by RooleyMoorBlue

I think we the fans need to look amongst ourselves to see what finances can be raised. Pledges on paper can lift heads and force people to listen, should there be enough of us. Just as an example, I know it's difficult especially in these times, but if 1,000 supporters pledge £1,000 each then that sort of muscle would surely have a big influence. I would put my money where my mouth is. I'd do anything to ensure the club doesn't go to the wall.

Good idea but its quite a lot of money.
I for one would be willing to put in £500.....

If this where to happen would the shareholders put them in with the trusts shares or would the board not allow the purchase...

What about those shares inherited by family members would they be a viable option to purchase if they knew that the shares where to be held by the trust.

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 12:01 - Apr 17 with 2564 viewsVivaDonaldo

Yeah good point.

I dont envy anyone in trying to secure honest investment in a football club at the moment.

As someone else said, I think the way forward in the immediate term is to back the club financially rather than suffocate it financially.

Change in leadership is definitely needed and opportunity beyond the EGM to make that clear will be when we re-enter the grounds we can make our views clear.

I feel what's needed though is to ensure our football club is able to operate effectively in the summer as those are transformative periods for any club, not least ours with the contract situations of a good number of players.
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 14:43 - Apr 17 with 2380 viewsseasidedale

Ok, if CD can’t get back, who realistically would you want as chairman ?
Login to get fewer ads

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 14:46 - Apr 17 with 2368 views442Dale

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 14:43 - Apr 17 by seasidedale

Can we see who This Morning have as guests this week and then decide?

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 14:56 - Apr 17 with 2319 viewsNewbury_Dale

Is/was Chris Dunphy planning to (re) invest any of his own money to purchase shares ? And that doesn't include spending money from the estate of David Clough. If not (and I believe that's the case), then I don't think he is entitled to a place on the board.
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 15:54 - Apr 17 with 2169 viewsjudd

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 14:56 - Apr 17 by Newbury_Dale

Is/was Chris Dunphy planning to (re) invest any of his own money to purchase shares ? And that doesn't include spending money from the estate of David Clough. If not (and I believe that's the case), then I don't think he is entitled to a place on the board.

Yes he did and clearly stated so.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 16:15 - Apr 17 with 2122 viewsdalefan

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 15:54 - Apr 17 by judd

Yes he did and clearly stated so.

Do we know how much of his own money (not the Clough estate) he said he would put in?
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 16:27]
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 16:30 - Apr 17 with 2067 viewsjudd

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 16:15 - Apr 17 by dalefan

Do we know how much of his own money (not the Clough estate) he said he would put in?

It's in the answers to the Trust

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 16:42 - Apr 17 with 2033 viewselectricblue

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 16:15 - Apr 17 by dalefan

I thinks its about £55k.

Im all for new leadership of the board but until the unknown out comes of the AGM and the EPM its all up in the air..

But for me its all about todays win over Accy and the posibilty of a great escape.
[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 17:50]

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 16:52 - Apr 17 with 2006 viewsToffeemanc

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 07:57 - Apr 17 by seasidedale

Biggest worry for me is if David Bottomly becomes chairman

For me this is the nightmare scenario and if it were to happen I genuinely believe I would be done with the club until he was no longer a part of it.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 17:11 - Apr 17 with 1961 viewsNewbury_Dale

The idea of a personal 65k investment catapulting him to chairman seems a bit unrealistic to me. Quite brazen almost.
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 17:30 - Apr 17 with 1907 viewsNewbod

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 10:54 - Apr 17 by RooleyMoorBlue

Does anyone actually know who holds full shares and who holds non voting shares?
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 17:52 - Apr 17 with 1835 viewselectricblue

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 16:52 - Apr 17 by Toffeemanc

For me this is the nightmare scenario and if it were to happen I genuinely believe I would be done with the club until he was no longer a part of it.

You will not be the only one.....
Bottomley is the worst that could happen to the club even with outside investment.....

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 18:15 - Apr 17 with 1749 views49thseason

The club could issue a £1000 5 year bond paying say 4 or 5% pa or £50 off a season ticket each year. At the end of 5 years you either get your initial investment back or roll it over for another 5 years to continue getting a discount on your season ticket. This would give the club some initial cash and the fans a longer term benefit. At the end of the 5 years, some would choose to roll over their investment, some would want it back so its not neccessarily a cliff edge for the club to repay the whole amount back at once.
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 18:21 - Apr 17 with 1730 viewsFrankDale

I fully understand that but think they are playing a dangerous game by not backing Chris Dunphy.
If there is an investor lined up with significant funds then fair enough.
If that person or persons don't exist then i fear for our future.
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 18:54 - Apr 17 with 1646 viewsrobtheb

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 14:43 - Apr 17 by seasidedale

Noel McKee, ex Carcraft. Some would say no chance but a very shrewd businessman. I know having worked for the family for 33 years. "We Buy Any Car" is his baby. Stands no nonsense and loaded! Don't think you would get him though....Man U fan!!

[Post edited 17 Apr 2021 19:09]
Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 18:56 - Apr 17 with 1642 viewsTomRAFC

Should this other buyer not be the kind of investor we'd prefer, alongside the risk of the Americans selling their shares to anyone they so wish, we run the risk of seeing a club with less custodians and continuous David Bottomley.

Poll: Would you have Keith Hill back?

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 19:01 - Apr 17 with 1604 viewsjudd

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 18:56 - Apr 17 by TomRAFC

Should this other buyer not be the kind of investor we'd prefer, alongside the risk of the Americans selling their shares to anyone they so wish, we run the risk of seeing a club with less custodians and continuous David Bottomley.

That is a concern.

There has been a paucity of effective due dilligence in recent years.

Chris Dunphy "doesn't have support of major shareholders" on 09:51 - Apr 19 with 983 viewsJPSDale

The Overcoat men bought their shares at 50 pence each, so to generate income to the club, they can sell them at the current market rate and give the "profit" to the club. The current directors paid £2 / share, Americans quoted £6 by the club, so somewhere in the middle would seem reasonable. I'm sure none of these men would want to profit from selling their shares, so it seems a reasonable suggestion.

Having listened to the latest podcast with Richard Wilde and seeing other comments about The Overcoat mens lack of support for Dunphy, perhaps now people will accept that Bottomley did not remove Dunphy, but that the major shareholders did.
David Kilpatrick and Graham Morris have an alliance going back over 40 years, Graham Morris was the regular contact of Brian Kilpatrick ( RIP & now his Son ) and these 3 men control the club.
GM was kicked out of the Boardroom whilst CD was Chairman, taking a seat in the main stand. CD removed, GM returned to the Directors Box, its not a coincidence.

The club is in a difficult position because the majority of the shares are held by people who no longer wish to be a director, this is a problem which has been developing for over 10 years. DK resigned as a director in 2006 and GM in 2008, neither seem to have a succession plan for their shares - and they have had plenty of time to look for credible candidates to become the next custodians. This has created a void which people will look to exploit.

On another note - the podcast with Francis giving us a warts and all history, particularly around the Tommy Cannon era, he stated that it was a 16 year old boy that got Cannon removed from the EGM as he was not a shareholder, this did not get much of a mention in the Book
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024