Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Next season 09:17 - Apr 28 with 8265 viewsAllDaleArentWe

Considering relegation is now al but confirmed I just wanna see what people are thinking ahead of next season. How confident are we that BBM can steady the ship? And what players are we expecting to move on. Personally I would sack BBM and start from scratch, but we all know that isn’t gonna happen.

P.S: not even going to get into the boardroom issues, this thread is purely about what happens on the pitch
Next season on 07:32 - Apr 29 with 1915 viewsJames1980

Next season on 03:20 - Apr 29 by pioneer

Presumably there will be a drop in players salaries...we will be signing players on league 2 wages and losing some on league 1 wages...unless the miracle happens. Ok

What I'm basically trying to ascertain is what is the likely total deficit between being in league 1 and 2. Do we have sufficient assets by the way of players that will be still under contract to make up said deficit without having to pretty much having to start again from scratch.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Next season on 08:47 - Apr 29 with 1794 viewsmightydale

Next season on 22:04 - Apr 28 by IOMDale

Pray do tell if you know something MD, could do with some positive ‘Dale-related news.

I just think the pressure from the trust and the fans, will force the changes at the club.

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

Next season on 09:09 - Apr 29 with 1748 viewselectricblue

Next season on 08:47 - Apr 29 by mightydale

I just think the pressure from the trust and the fans, will force the changes at the club.

We live in hope....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Next season on 10:07 - Apr 29 with 1666 viewsAtThePeake

Next season on 12:33 - Apr 28 by 49thseason

"Lynch is better than a loan like Bazunu, but he's not better than a loan like Sanchez"
Or a loan like Heaton or Fielding or Lonergan or any number of goalkeepers we have had on loan. I wont say there are no 18 year olds good enough but they are few and far between, I can understand the club trying to get closer to a giant like City but there has to be some application of common sense, taking their number 5 keeper with little match experience to be our number 1 was just silly and doomed to failure and probably not at all helpful in the players development.

Nowhere in my reply was I defending Bazunu. That particular loan was a mis-step, but I'm just saying that doesn't make Lynch the best option as our first choice keeper next season and nor does it mean we shouldn't utilise the loan market for a goalkeeper again, as your three examples among many illustrate.

Tangled up in blue.

Next season on 11:03 - Apr 29 with 1607 views49thseason

Next season on 10:07 - Apr 29 by AtThePeake

Nowhere in my reply was I defending Bazunu. That particular loan was a mis-step, but I'm just saying that doesn't make Lynch the best option as our first choice keeper next season and nor does it mean we shouldn't utilise the loan market for a goalkeeper again, as your three examples among many illustrate.

I didnt think you were... For me, the Goalkeeper is the rock you build a defence on, a really good one is far more important than just the saves he makes, marshalling the defence, spotting problems early are key ingredients too. These qualities come with experience and thats why young keepers get sent out on loan but unless you have a well organised, consistent defence to start with. Bringing in a very young keeper, no matter how well he plays at his own age level, is a huge risk. Its not even Bazunus fault, which I think was the point I was trying to make, he was the wrong player at a bad time defensively. Which then points the finger at the recruitment policy..... start at the back and build from there seems like a better policy than the scattergun we seem to employ. Left back being the classic example of non- recruitment which has cost us dearly.
Having 2 Centre Halves like McShane and McNulty also reveals a poor recruitment policy, neither of them at the peak of their physical or footballing powers. McNulty was a contract too far and should have been replaced 2 years ago. A fit McShane would be an ideal player to help the on-field development of a younger defensive partner (Osho... or maybe Dunne), unfortunately it looks as though he has fought too many battles, I would love to be proved wrong though. Maybe a full pre-season will fix some of our ongoing physical problems.
Next season on 12:06 - Apr 29 with 1547 viewsNigeriamark

Next season on 16:29 - Apr 28 by Cedar_Room

I would be really disappointed to see Rathbone go - whilst I do think he's better than L2 and deserves to play higher, I think he provides so much of the impetus going forward that has been sorely lacking elsewhere. When he plays well, the team plays well. And with that bit of extra time and space he may get in a lower division I think he'd be able to have an even bigger impact.
Baah I expect to go and would not be as bothered now considering he's been non existant since his big transfer fell through. You can only hope that we get some money for him.

Elsewhere there aren't too many in this squad which I'd be desperate to keep either way. The big uncertainty will again be on how well we can recruit in L2 on what will presumably be another limited budget. Perhaps our lack of resources won't be as disastrous and we'll be slightly more competitive but it really could go any way at all. Good luck to the club trying to advertise for season tickets on those prospects.

I think COVID 19 has still to filter through, and the ways some clubs have managed the finances will determine squad selection

Clubs who made season tickets this season but not returned the money will take a hit next season ( either by giving refunds or a "free" ticket in exchange for this years.) Those that didn't make sales this year will be able to sell from afresh next season and will have already taken the hit. All 72 clubs are going to take a big hit somwhere along the line

As i suggested in another post, there is no reason that all 72 clubs shouldn't publish their latest financials in May ( instead of next May) at the same time as last years. That way the fans will see the "COVID" impact, where their club stand & then be able to see the realistic funds available for salaries. Although I think we will look bad this season v the previous 2, relative to other clubs we might be quite well placed. I was surprised a few clubs didn't go under this season but it could just be building up for next season, especially if they are giving the free tickets or refunds which may have been all that kept them afloat.

so although i think we will have our usual small squad, I can see other clubs having to cut beyond previous years & some decent players will be available at lower salaries. I'd rather see a smaller quality squad & take a chance on injuries, hence a focus on players without previous injury records
Next season (n/t) on 12:47 - Apr 29 with 1477 viewsriggers37

Next season on 12:50 - Apr 29 with 1470 viewsriggers37

I’ve heard we are getting another loan keeper from City next season. James Trafford apparently.
Login to get fewer ads

Next season on 14:06 - Apr 29 with 1354 viewsSuddenLad

Next season on 11:03 - Apr 29 by 49thseason

I didnt think you were... For me, the Goalkeeper is the rock you build a defence on, a really good one is far more important than just the saves he makes, marshalling the defence, spotting problems early are key ingredients too. These qualities come with experience and thats why young keepers get sent out on loan but unless you have a well organised, consistent defence to start with. Bringing in a very young keeper, no matter how well he plays at his own age level, is a huge risk. Its not even Bazunus fault, which I think was the point I was trying to make, he was the wrong player at a bad time defensively. Which then points the finger at the recruitment policy..... start at the back and build from there seems like a better policy than the scattergun we seem to employ. Left back being the classic example of non- recruitment which has cost us dearly.
Having 2 Centre Halves like McShane and McNulty also reveals a poor recruitment policy, neither of them at the peak of their physical or footballing powers. McNulty was a contract too far and should have been replaced 2 years ago. A fit McShane would be an ideal player to help the on-field development of a younger defensive partner (Osho... or maybe Dunne), unfortunately it looks as though he has fought too many battles, I would love to be proved wrong though. Maybe a full pre-season will fix some of our ongoing physical problems.

I think it's been a season too far for McShane. Clearly we have benefitted from his presence when he's fit, but too often he has been sidelined. Sad to say, but I think if he had been in better physical condition, he wouldn't have been here anyway. He was a risky signing, but had all the assets we needed. Just not consistently enough.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Next season on 18:40 - Apr 29 with 1202 viewsEllDale

Next season on 12:50 - Apr 29 by riggers37

I’ve heard we are getting another loan keeper from City next season. James Trafford apparently.

The Manchester Evening News reported on April 24th that James Trafford has already had a “good loan” deal arranged for next season. Decent article on the lad who was born in Carlisle.
Wish I could do the link.
Next season on 18:49 - Apr 29 with 1187 viewsJames1980

Next season on 18:40 - Apr 29 by EllDale

The Manchester Evening News reported on April 24th that James Trafford has already had a “good loan” deal arranged for next season. Decent article on the lad who was born in Carlisle.
Wish I could do the link.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/man-city-ja

There you go sir
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 18:49]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Next season on 20:10 - Apr 29 with 1105 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Next season on 14:06 - Apr 29 by SuddenLad

I think it's been a season too far for McShane. Clearly we have benefitted from his presence when he's fit, but too often he has been sidelined. Sad to say, but I think if he had been in better physical condition, he wouldn't have been here anyway. He was a risky signing, but had all the assets we needed. Just not consistently enough.

Agreed. You need as settled side as possible. You can’t have that if your best, and most expensive, players are only available intermittently. You end up playing half the season with more drafted in loan players.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

Next season on 20:33 - Apr 29 with 1056 viewspioneer

Please, not another season of an inexperienced teenager in goal required to play Pepe ball.
Next season on 20:38 - Apr 29 with 1040 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Next season on 20:33 - Apr 29 by pioneer

Please, not another season of an inexperienced teenager in goal required to play Pepe ball.

Don’t be like that. He’ll have a very experienced top notch defender in front of him...occasionally.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 20:38]

Next season on 20:42 - Apr 29 with 1019 viewspioneer

Next season on 20:38 - Apr 29 by BigDaveMyCock

Don’t be like that. He’ll have a very experienced top notch defender in front of him...occasionally.
[Post edited 29 Apr 2021 20:38]

Aye, the opposition centre half at corners
Next season on 20:48 - Apr 29 with 985 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Next season on 20:42 - Apr 29 by pioneer

Aye, the opposition centre half at corners

It’s just not bloody fair. If heading wasn’t allowed we’d be in the fooking Premiership now. The sooner they ban it the fooking better.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024