Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Atmosphere 22:04 - Nov 23 with 13300 viewsHullDale

I've thought long & hard about posting this after a few recent games; but after tonight I wonder if its time to have a grown up conversation about the atmosphere at home games, and whether or not it is having an impact on our attitude, performances and results.

I'm not talking about:

- The lack of a bloody drum
- The lack of chanting
- Low crowds, and how quiet we can be as a fanbase at home

I'm talking about the (sometimes vicious) abuse that a decent percentage of our home fans give the team almost continuously.

From where I sat tonight in the WMG, there were a loads of examples of our fans getting on the backs of our players for relatively minor infractions.

Lynch got so much stick from the back of the WMG it was unbelievable - shouting / swearing in his direction, telling him he was sh*t, telling him he can't kick the ball, shouting that he cost us 2 points. It comes to something when our own keeper (who has had 2 very good games) is getting more flack then the opposition keeper.

A decent group of fans booing every single decision players were making, but when some of those decisions turned good (or we did something else great) there was no recognition or 'well done' offered. It makes it feel at times like some people go to vent a load of anger from work / home in our own direction than to watch the football and support the team.

When it is quiet at home, the players will hear absolutely everything and it can't help at all... there were a couple of times when players' shoulders visibly dropped when they heard the abuse. O'Connell is clearly fed up of it (he snapped back at one point at Notts)... others look fed up too. An extreme example was Graham a couple of weeks ago, but its increasingly seeming like some of the constant OTT social media reactions are creeping into actual matches too.

We're in Lg2, with a young average to decent Lg2 squad that was assembled in a couple of weeks before a season in which we were (by all accounts) about 3 hours away from losing the club.

There have been times this season when its genuinely depressing to hear, and takes away from the enjoyment of the game. For casual fans, or those friends for a fiver tonight, it may be enouhh to stop them returning.

I really hope this doesn't come across as a 'preachy' post, or telling people how to act when we've all spent the same money to get in - its out of genuine frustration, a feeling that the atmosphere (subtly referenced by Stockdale recently) could be having some sort of negative impact on the outcome of games, and might be a factor in the decision making if players when it comes to joining or staying with us in January & beyond.

Up the Dale.
Atmosphere on 01:11 - Nov 24 with 2450 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Do you think that it could possibly be the same at every football club and not just ours?
Atmosphere on 07:14 - Nov 24 with 2296 viewsHullDale

Atmosphere on 01:11 - Nov 24 by RooleyMoorBlue

Do you think that it could possibly be the same at every football club and not just ours?

I think it probably does happen at other grounds, although to what extent I'm not sure. It certainly feels more noticeable at Dale (I'm trying hard to think impartially about it, although I accept there will always be an element of preference bias).

Some grounds have a reputation of fans getting on the backs of the team when its not going well (Newcastle being an extreme example) and clearly that forms part of the approach for visiting teams - 'stifle creativity, get in faces and frustrate them and the fans will turn'... I'm beginning to wonder if Spotland is viewed in the same light, albeit on a smaller scale.
Atmosphere on 07:16 - Nov 24 with 2290 viewsTalkingSutty

When you look at what we have had to endure at Spotland over the last few years I think overall the fans have been brilliant. We are still managing to snatch a point from winning positions on a regular basis but at least the performances and attacking intent is now there. Football is about passion and opinion, if you take that out of the game then you are left with a load of clones just accepting of everything that is served up. I accept shouting abuse during the game is detrimental to individual players but you are never going to stop it.

If criticising performances is wrong then in the interest of fairness that should also extend to the opposition players and the matchday officials. I would defy anybody to sit through the tripe that BBM served up at home and not criticise, the players and the manager where lucky nobody was allowed inside the stadiums, it was a insult to the game at times.

Hull Dale I think you are honestly over reacting. The abuse shown at United/ City/ Bolton/ Oldham towards indifferent performances is far worse than at the COA. If professional footballers are struggling to perform in front of 1700 fans then it’s a bad do. When you see a player wandering about the pitch in a daze, failing to chase back or mark his man then I think it warrants a shout of ‘Pull your ******* finger out and switch on’, that’s something that i am guilty of shouting from time to time.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 7:35]
Atmosphere on 07:41 - Nov 24 with 2256 viewsHullDale

Atmosphere on 07:16 - Nov 24 by TalkingSutty

When you look at what we have had to endure at Spotland over the last few years I think overall the fans have been brilliant. We are still managing to snatch a point from winning positions on a regular basis but at least the performances and attacking intent is now there. Football is about passion and opinion, if you take that out of the game then you are left with a load of clones just accepting of everything that is served up. I accept shouting abuse during the game is detrimental to individual players but you are never going to stop it.

If criticising performances is wrong then in the interest of fairness that should also extend to the opposition players and the matchday officials. I would defy anybody to sit through the tripe that BBM served up at home and not criticise, the players and the manager where lucky nobody was allowed inside the stadiums, it was a insult to the game at times.

Hull Dale I think you are honestly over reacting. The abuse shown at United/ City/ Bolton/ Oldham towards indifferent performances is far worse than at the COA. If professional footballers are struggling to perform in front of 1700 fans then it’s a bad do. When you see a player wandering about the pitch in a daze, failing to chase back or mark his man then I think it warrants a shout of ‘Pull your ******* finger out and switch on’, that’s something that i am guilty of shouting from time to time.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 7:35]

I almost think the last few years should be irrelevant to attitudes this season.

We have a brand new manager, 10 new players in the squad (including a BIG chunk of the starting XI, the 3rd youngest squad in Lg2 and the 4th lowest number of players used season to date.

I totally agree about passion and opinion - that's why I'm not trying to get into an argument but to pose some questions about if there is more we could do as a fanbase at home games to support the team and encourage positive performances.

Criticising performances isn't wrong - but IMO there are ways of doing that without absolutely slating individuals mid match. Its November and we are 3 wins away from matching our total number of wins last season.

Is it frustrating at times? Yes. Was that to be expected this season? Also yes.

re: the abuse at City / Utd / Bolton (to a lesser degree), I agree there is probably a lot worse. They also have a lot more fans there to drown it out with support, better and more experienced players in the squad, and (rightfully) substantially higher expectations than we do.

To step back from what might be being seen as an over-reaction... simple question - do you think the atmosphere and attitude from the home crowd at Spotland this season has helped, hindered or had no impact at all on results to date?

My opinion is its probably hindered - but its just that, my opinion.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 7:42]
Atmosphere on 08:09 - Nov 24 with 2220 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 07:41 - Nov 24 by HullDale

I almost think the last few years should be irrelevant to attitudes this season.

We have a brand new manager, 10 new players in the squad (including a BIG chunk of the starting XI, the 3rd youngest squad in Lg2 and the 4th lowest number of players used season to date.

I totally agree about passion and opinion - that's why I'm not trying to get into an argument but to pose some questions about if there is more we could do as a fanbase at home games to support the team and encourage positive performances.

Criticising performances isn't wrong - but IMO there are ways of doing that without absolutely slating individuals mid match. Its November and we are 3 wins away from matching our total number of wins last season.

Is it frustrating at times? Yes. Was that to be expected this season? Also yes.

re: the abuse at City / Utd / Bolton (to a lesser degree), I agree there is probably a lot worse. They also have a lot more fans there to drown it out with support, better and more experienced players in the squad, and (rightfully) substantially higher expectations than we do.

To step back from what might be being seen as an over-reaction... simple question - do you think the atmosphere and attitude from the home crowd at Spotland this season has helped, hindered or had no impact at all on results to date?

My opinion is its probably hindered - but its just that, my opinion.
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 7:42]

I think the atmosphere and attitude at Spotland has helped the players. At times the fans have got on the players backs due to individual errors or a perceived lack of urgency or sheer frustration at results. If you look hard enough for a problem you can always find one and I think the overwhelming majority of our fans are brilliant .There will always be the ones who are quick to get on the players backs but at least they are out there handing over their money and attending games, unlike 98% of the Towns population. Our poor home form over the last few years isn’t down to a small minority of fans and neither was last nights disappointing draw. The WMG doesn’t have the monopoly on verbal hot heads neither, you can find them in all four stands. We’ll have to agree to disagree.
Atmosphere on 08:10 - Nov 24 with 2210 viewswimborne_dale

Last week I went to Stevenage v mk Dons, cup replay as I'm working in the area. Good crowd, good atmosphere, no nastiness (that I could detect from where I was sitting) even when they went behind.
I left feeling somewhat envious of their support and their match atmosphere.

What it's like on a league day, I don't know.

Edgar Allan's Crow

Atmosphere on 08:55 - Nov 24 with 2135 viewsJames1980

Atmosphere on 08:10 - Nov 24 by wimborne_dale

Last week I went to Stevenage v mk Dons, cup replay as I'm working in the area. Good crowd, good atmosphere, no nastiness (that I could detect from where I was sitting) even when they went behind.
I left feeling somewhat envious of their support and their match atmosphere.

What it's like on a league day, I don't know.

Were the away fans chanting about club stealing etc?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Atmosphere on 09:54 - Nov 24 with 2062 viewsnordenblue

Atmosphere on 08:09 - Nov 24 by TalkingSutty

I think the atmosphere and attitude at Spotland has helped the players. At times the fans have got on the players backs due to individual errors or a perceived lack of urgency or sheer frustration at results. If you look hard enough for a problem you can always find one and I think the overwhelming majority of our fans are brilliant .There will always be the ones who are quick to get on the players backs but at least they are out there handing over their money and attending games, unlike 98% of the Towns population. Our poor home form over the last few years isn’t down to a small minority of fans and neither was last nights disappointing draw. The WMG doesn’t have the monopoly on verbal hot heads neither, you can find them in all four stands. We’ll have to agree to disagree.

I can certainly vouch for your last point, I was always a Sandy regular and that place def has its fair share of absolutely deluded idiots for shouting random bollox out, the main stand was no different either, and last night in the WMG some of the things you hear are at best baffling.

Whilst not being directly responsible for it I'm not too sure the last few seasons of absolute shite at home has really helped the cause much either.
Login to get fewer ads

Atmosphere on 16:26 - Nov 24 with 1796 viewsAtThePeake

Atmosphere on 23:15 - Nov 23 by TalkingSutty

The overwhelming majority of fans are great, those that turned up tonight could have stayed at home on a cold Tuesday night but they didn’t. I don’t think the home performances and results over the last few seasons, including this, can be blamed on the fans whatsoever. Look at our home form last season with no fans in attendance. Every Club has ‘supporters’ who get on the players backs and lets face it the COA is like a kindergarten compared to many clubs. There has always been fans who balloon off and moan throughout the game, it’s never been any different.

As has been stated on other recent threads though, 'it's never been any different' isn't a valid excuse for things to continue in the same vein.

Tangled up in blue.

Atmosphere on 16:46 - Nov 24 with 1758 viewsHullDale

Atmosphere on 16:26 - Nov 24 by AtThePeake

As has been stated on other recent threads though, 'it's never been any different' isn't a valid excuse for things to continue in the same vein.

Exactly this...

Dawlish posted on the match thread:

"...as for the crowd getting on the players backs; yes...there was plenty of disquiet in the Main Stand, but not as much as could be heard coming from behind both goals. Sandy and TDS fans need to have a word with themselves. it was cringeworthy at times and made worse when there is a poor crowd inside the ground. One chap in the middle of the Sandy could clearly be heard by RS, the players and people sitting near me. He should not bother coming or take anger management classes....or both."

If you were Stockdale, would you be enjoying managing home games?

If you were a genuinely saleable asset like O'Connell, would this make you want to stay?

If you were a young player getting a first crack at pro men's football, would this help your confidence?

If you were a potential signing like O'Keeffe, would this make you want to play 23+ games a season here?

If you were the squad, would it impact your mindset going into home games knowing you have this to look forward to?
Atmosphere on 17:29 - Nov 24 with 1713 viewsnordenblue

Atmosphere on 16:46 - Nov 24 by HullDale

Exactly this...

"...as for the crowd getting on the players backs; yes...there was plenty of disquiet in the Main Stand, but not as much as could be heard coming from behind both goals. Sandy and TDS fans need to have a word with themselves. it was cringeworthy at times and made worse when there is a poor crowd inside the ground. One chap in the middle of the Sandy could clearly be heard by RS, the players and people sitting near me. He should not bother coming or take anger management classes....or both."

If you were a genuinely saleable asset like O'Connell, would this make you want to stay?

If you were a young player getting a first crack at pro men's football, would this help your confidence?

If you were a potential signing like O'Keeffe, would this make you want to play 23+ games a season here?

If you were the squad, would it impact your mindset going into home games knowing you have this to look forward to?

At a guess you could probably aim any of those questions at literally every other club up and down the country, at the bigger clubs which granted is most of them it will be far louder/worse even...

While it's certainly not nice and most cases not warranted if players are that offended by a few idiots they may well be in the wrong profession, being surrounded by folk every time they kick a football can be tough going at times.
Atmosphere on 18:03 - Nov 24 with 1644 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 16:46 - Nov 24 by HullDale

Exactly this...

I must be missing something, i honestly wasn’t aware that there is such a toxic atmosphere around the stadium. So bad that it will deter players from signing for the Club? I actually thought there was a feel good factor this season and i’m not kidding when i say that. I didn’t realise it was that bad.
Atmosphere on 18:16 - Nov 24 with 1622 viewsupthedale

I agree with HullDale's original post, agree it's all opinions too but personally I don't like the direct negative comments aimed at individuals during the match.

In terms of comparing it to City etc as others have done, I think the things we love about supporting a smaller, more-of-a-community club make these negatives more prominent than at the bigger clubs.
Atmosphere on 18:20 - Nov 24 with 1603 viewsHullDale

Atmosphere on 18:03 - Nov 24 by TalkingSutty

I must be missing something, i honestly wasn’t aware that there is such a toxic atmosphere around the stadium. So bad that it will deter players from signing for the Club? I actually thought there was a feel good factor this season and i’m not kidding when i say that. I didn’t realise it was that bad.

There clearly is a feel good factor around the club after it was saved from Morton House et al with hours to spare, the share issue is complete and the new board are making great progress. I don't think anybody has said that the atmosphere around the club is toxic (happy to be proven wrong?) but I'd say some of the abuse thrown at players on matchday is toxic, yes. Let's not get those 2 things mixed up as there is a very clear distinction between the 2.

But if you were a player, would you be enjoying playing at Spotland right now (after you've already agreed there was more negativity last night)?

We clearly can't and won't pay the same wages as other clubs, so there will be other factors that come into play when players decide if they are happy here and want to stay / join.
Atmosphere on 18:22 - Nov 24 with 1596 viewsboromat

I think everyone's just frustrated with the home results and that includes the players. The fans vent the way they do and the players vent by going more direct and trying to force a mistake and result. It might be unfair on Stockdale but results have been poor at home for a long time and we don't differentiate on who's in charge and who's in the eleven, when you're getting to your 3rd season of poor results it's going to take its toll.

If criticism from the stands helps, hinders or makes no difference to the players performance I think is difficult to say. Each individual will respond differently. And on that Dorsett has surprised me recently I thought he'd need more of a arm around him type approach but under all the scrutiny he's had somehow he's pulled out a couple of solid performances in the last couple of games. So well done to him hope we see some more.

One big difference in how the games and atmospheres seem to be going at the moment compared to say when Keith first took over is that back then we'd concede but the crowd had confidence in our ability to score and win the game so remained positive. Now I think the confidence in the team is there but we just haven't seen it come good often enough so we don't have that same positivity.

Who knows.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Atmosphere on 18:24 - Nov 24 with 1585 views442Dale

It’s not that bad but there are indeed a few too many instances of understandable frustrations reaching levels where it becomes a bit ridiculous. There have been views online which fit similarly.

Think some of it is because of a year away from going to games and the initial enjoyment of just being able to go back again is wearing off. Some outbursts aren’t perhaps as controlled with people going further down the moaning scale (tm) than they did in the past. It’s a bit like trying to find the right volume level for the tannoy, the only difference being we have to hope it’s accepted as an issue by those able to control it

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Atmosphere on 18:29 - Nov 24 with 1569 views442Dale

Atmosphere on 18:20 - Nov 24 by HullDale

There clearly is a feel good factor around the club after it was saved from Morton House et al with hours to spare, the share issue is complete and the new board are making great progress. I don't think anybody has said that the atmosphere around the club is toxic (happy to be proven wrong?) but I'd say some of the abuse thrown at players on matchday is toxic, yes. Let's not get those 2 things mixed up as there is a very clear distinction between the 2.

But if you were a player, would you be enjoying playing at Spotland right now (after you've already agreed there was more negativity last night)?

We clearly can't and won't pay the same wages as other clubs, so there will be other factors that come into play when players decide if they are happy here and want to stay / join.

... and from another standpoint, I don’t think there’s anything too toxic, more headshakingly laughable. Would hope both players and manager think along those lines when they hear some of it.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Atmosphere on 19:03 - Nov 24 with 1508 viewsJames1980

One of my particular favourite's from last night was the berating of League Two players for not curling the ball Premier League playeresque into the top corner when we had a free kick.

Atmosphere on 19:10 - Nov 24 with 1498 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 18:20 - Nov 24 by HullDale

I didn’t agree there was more negativity last night though. When we are constantly shooting ourselves in the foot and beating ourselves i expect some fans to verbally vent their frustrations, that’s what happens at football matches. The overwhelming majority of fans let out a audible groan at certain times, it’s part and parcel of the game. I’m sure we all know individuals who have spent their Dale supporting career hurling abuse at players, they will never change. There are plenty who even criticised the likes of Henderson and Jones ( club legends), it’s no different now than it’s ever been. I’ll take note over the next few home games and see if I think things are as bad as you are suggesting.
Atmosphere on 20:42 - Nov 24 with 1369 viewsCleedale

Interesting thread but as some have pointed out; it's at all clubs.

However the psychology behind why some folk are more easily wound up and therefore likely to criticise 'might' be explained by the following I read many years ago...and is so true.

"The way we feel about ourselves is the way we feel about others. If we feel good about ourselves, we feel good about others. If we feel bad about ourselves, we feel bad about others".

In other words there can be some mightily "baggaged" people around and some of them come to football. You can learn more about them than what they shout out about.
Atmosphere on 20:51 - Nov 24 with 1355 viewsJames1980

I know a drum divides opinion but would one drown out the negative comments?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 20:52]

Atmosphere on 20:56 - Nov 24 with 1339 viewsboromat

Atmosphere on 20:51 - Nov 24 by James1980

I know a drum divides opinion but would one drown out the negative comments?
[Post edited 24 Nov 2021 20:52]

Like AltDaleComs recent effort you're stretching now James 🤣

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Atmosphere on 21:25 - Nov 24 with 1296 viewsDaleiLama

Atmosphere on 20:42 - Nov 24 by Cleedale

Interesting thread but as some have pointed out; it's at all clubs.

However the psychology behind why some folk are more easily wound up and therefore likely to criticise 'might' be explained by the following I read many years ago...and is so true.

"The way we feel about ourselves is the way we feel about others. If we feel good about ourselves, we feel good about others. If we feel bad about ourselves, we feel bad about others".

In other words there can be some mightily "baggaged" people around and some of them come to football. You can learn more about them than what they shout out about.

It is an interesting thread.

I understand that this is a little off piste from the main focus of the thread, but I had a quiet moment on my tod prior to kick off, since I got there early, and after the players went in from warm-ups, I just sat soaking in the "atmosphere". The pitch looked amazing under the lights and is a credit to everyone who worked on it. My share certificate was sat on my desk at home. The anticipation was building. A few of the Directors were buzzing around (in anticipation of the HT presentation I later discovered). I still have a club to support. It is well run and whilst not being glamourous, it now has very firm foundations thanks to a lot of hard work by a great many people. I actually took the time to count my blessings in that moment, thinking how lucky I was for all of the above and how it might have been oh so very different. I'm very proud of my club and the fact we can still go to games post-Covid and post-hostile takeover defeat. Just a personal perspective.

The only point I would make with regards to the atmosphere of "supporting" the club (other than the above) is how do any of us react to an absolute bollocking at work, or the flip-side, encouragement. I'm not telling anyone what they should or shouldn't do, but I can't think of a single time someone telling another that they were shit acted as motivation to them in a professional capacity.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Atmosphere on 21:27 - Nov 24 with 1295 views49thseason

We have averaged just 5 home wins per season over the last 5 seasons (counting this one - 94 home games so far) .
25 Wins (half time - winning - 22 )
33 Draws (half time 47 )
36 Losses (half time 25)
Avg PPG is 1.15 at full time and 1.20 at half time (94 games).

This would indicate that our visitors have been much better at taking points from us in the second half than we have been and going on to win or draw the game from a drawing situation. Last night being a case in point.
Possible reasons behind this are not obvious other than:
*Management not being able to motivate or improve tactics sufficiently at half time especially from a drawing position.
*Players not being able to maintain the 1st half performance in the face in improved opposition
* Squad not having players capable of changing things from the bench. Or substitutions not being made early enough to have impact

Home Form - Last 22 seasons to date including this one so far
Played 483 Won 207 (43%) Drawn 136 (28 %) Lost 140 (29%)

Worst season: 2020 /21 W4 (17.3%) D9 (39.1%) L10 (43.4%) 21 pts
Best season 2013 /14 W15 (65.2%) D3 (13%) L5 (21.7%) 48Pts

League 1 V League 2
L1 P177 W70 (39.5%) D53 (30%) L54 30.5%)
L2 P306 W137 (44.7%) D83 (27%) L86 (28%)
Atmosphere on 21:54 - Nov 24 with 1242 viewsTalkingSutty

Atmosphere on 21:27 - Nov 24 by 49thseason

We have averaged just 5 home wins per season over the last 5 seasons (counting this one - 94 home games so far) .
25 Wins (half time - winning - 22 )
33 Draws (half time 47 )
36 Losses (half time 25)
Avg PPG is 1.15 at full time and 1.20 at half time (94 games).

This would indicate that our visitors have been much better at taking points from us in the second half than we have been and going on to win or draw the game from a drawing situation. Last night being a case in point.
Possible reasons behind this are not obvious other than:
*Management not being able to motivate or improve tactics sufficiently at half time especially from a drawing position.
*Players not being able to maintain the 1st half performance in the face in improved opposition
* Squad not having players capable of changing things from the bench. Or substitutions not being made early enough to have impact

Home Form - Last 22 seasons to date including this one so far
Played 483 Won 207 (43%) Drawn 136 (28 %) Lost 140 (29%)

Worst season: 2020 /21 W4 (17.3%) D9 (39.1%) L10 (43.4%) 21 pts
Best season 2013 /14 W15 (65.2%) D3 (13%) L5 (21.7%) 48Pts

League 1 V League 2
L1 P177 W70 (39.5%) D53 (30%) L54 30.5%)
L2 P306 W137 (44.7%) D83 (27%) L86 (28%)

Excellent post and thanks for the stats. I think lack of fitness in the team has also been a issue over the last few years, young players lacking in stamina and players with historic injury problems. The left back position still hasn’t been resolved neither. Sort the defence out and we are good to go, there is a lot of talent in this squad. Those figures you have posted are shocking to be honest, no wonder the crowds have dwindled.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024