Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Welsh National Anthem 19:15 - Feb 13 with 16917 viewsbuilthjack

Is being sung loud and proud at Swans games these days.
Beautiful.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

The Welsh National Anthem on 16:56 - Mar 28 with 976 viewsLorax

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:56 - Mar 27 by Chief

You can interpret it as nationalistic if you like, that's up to you. To me it simply celebrates the frankly astonishing and impressive fact that Wales / Cymru / Cambria / part of Britannia and it's language still exist as an entity after centuries despite repeated attempts to eradicate cymraeg and the 'nation' as well as a lot of immigration. It is a very poignant song. You don't need to be separatist to see this. Just someone open to acknowledging historical facts.

You must also remember that the Romans never really fully conquered the area that we know as modern day Wales, although the Romans activities in the rest of modern day Britain did unwittingly lead to the creation of the geographical area that we now know as Wales by pushing the native Celts to the Western fringes of the islands.

The Romans in Wales did intermarry with the local Welsh so when the Roman 'machine' / administration left to go back to mainland Britain around AD400, the power vacuum was filled by these Roman-Welsh families, some of whom had lineage which predated the Roman invasions. So I'd say it's far more nuanced than you suggest.

Not sure who has mentioned the English but you?

The song harks back to those times because that's where Wales was essentially born and is above, we should celebrate the fact that it still exists as an entity today. It's something to be proud of.

I do acknowledge historical facts.

Fact, Wales didn't exist in Roam times, we were a collection of tribal areas and Rome subdued most of Wales including the Druids on Mona.

Fact, Macsen Wledig was an Iberian born, Roman General who left Brittania to try and take full control of Rome.

Fact, Roman soldiers (not all of whom were Roman, many were auxillaries from other conquered countries) always intermarried with the locals

Welsh kings claimed Maximus was the founder of their lineage but what happened to Maximus' family after his death isn't known, it was never recorded.
Wales didn't officially become a country until 1536, Macsen Wledig left Brittania, not Wales. This song plays up to Welsh nationalism, a country that didn't exst for over 1000 years after Macsen Wledig died.

The national anthem is a far better song.
The Welsh National Anthem on 18:03 - Mar 28 with 928 viewstrampie

The Welsh National Anthem on 16:56 - Mar 28 by Lorax

Fact, Wales didn't exist in Roam times, we were a collection of tribal areas and Rome subdued most of Wales including the Druids on Mona.

Fact, Macsen Wledig was an Iberian born, Roman General who left Brittania to try and take full control of Rome.

Fact, Roman soldiers (not all of whom were Roman, many were auxillaries from other conquered countries) always intermarried with the locals

Welsh kings claimed Maximus was the founder of their lineage but what happened to Maximus' family after his death isn't known, it was never recorded.
Wales didn't officially become a country until 1536, Macsen Wledig left Brittania, not Wales. This song plays up to Welsh nationalism, a country that didn't exst for over 1000 years after Macsen Wledig died.

616 AD or there abouts could be one date that Wales could be said to be a created, the whole of Britain up and including the central belt of Scotland belonged to the Welsh as being Welsh and an Ancient Briton was synonymous, after the battle of Chester was lost to the Anglo-Saxon hordes, Wales was split from the Northern Welsh/Britons so the Wales of today that we know could have been said to have been created then.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:01 - Mar 28 with 878 viewsChief

The Welsh National Anthem on 16:56 - Mar 28 by Lorax

No Wales didn't exist then but all those tribes who were only partially conquered by Rome had shared identities and as I said the rough geographical area they inhabited, speaking an early form of Welsh was formed around this period. It was Wales in its embryonic stages. It was these borders formed by the Romans actions that the next set of invaders - the Saxons encountered and is where the name Cymru is derived from meaning 'outsider' or 'foreigner' to them.

Yes indeed Wledig wasn't Welsh but his marriages and alliances to native the Welsh lead to around a thousand years of his descendants resisting conquests so it's not too much of a stretch to see why Wledig is referred to in the song.

The 1536 thing is a red herring that was just an administrative reshuffle by Henry VIII some time after the full conquest. If anything it was an attempt to eradicate Wales further by totally assimilating it into the Kingdom of England. Despite his Welsh roots Henry VIII also tried to ban the Welsh language. The area itself was united under nearly partial or total Welsh rule several times before that date, and when it wasn't it was due to invading forces occupying some of the land or people with shared cultures ruling different parts of the land. As I say, with such a backdrop it's remarkable that Wales as a notion does still exist at all.

Not sure the relevance of the soldiers bit, but yes that's true. Wales has been a cosmopolitan nation for longer than most think.

The song acknowledges the roots of Wales from the very beginning. Not sure why that's such an issue.

I like them both. Both fantastic. They tell an actual story of the nation and the culture.
[Post edited 28 Mar 2022 20:13]

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:43 - Mar 28 with 842 viewsjack_lord

The Welsh National Anthem on 20:01 - Mar 28 by Chief

No Wales didn't exist then but all those tribes who were only partially conquered by Rome had shared identities and as I said the rough geographical area they inhabited, speaking an early form of Welsh was formed around this period. It was Wales in its embryonic stages. It was these borders formed by the Romans actions that the next set of invaders - the Saxons encountered and is where the name Cymru is derived from meaning 'outsider' or 'foreigner' to them.

Yes indeed Wledig wasn't Welsh but his marriages and alliances to native the Welsh lead to around a thousand years of his descendants resisting conquests so it's not too much of a stretch to see why Wledig is referred to in the song.

The 1536 thing is a red herring that was just an administrative reshuffle by Henry VIII some time after the full conquest. If anything it was an attempt to eradicate Wales further by totally assimilating it into the Kingdom of England. Despite his Welsh roots Henry VIII also tried to ban the Welsh language. The area itself was united under nearly partial or total Welsh rule several times before that date, and when it wasn't it was due to invading forces occupying some of the land or people with shared cultures ruling different parts of the land. As I say, with such a backdrop it's remarkable that Wales as a notion does still exist at all.

Not sure the relevance of the soldiers bit, but yes that's true. Wales has been a cosmopolitan nation for longer than most think.

The song acknowledges the roots of Wales from the very beginning. Not sure why that's such an issue.

I like them both. Both fantastic. They tell an actual story of the nation and the culture.

I think hearing Yma o hyd has rekindled a nationalist in me I thought had long departed.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

The Welsh National Anthem on 22:00 - Mar 28 with 833 viewsonehunglow

The Welsh National Anthem on 21:43 - Mar 28 by jack_lord

I think hearing Yma o hyd has rekindled a nationalist in me I thought had long departed.

I feel the same fervour when Listening to

Wonderful Land by the Shadows

or

Racing in the Street by The Boss(used to sing it as a lullaby to our daughter)

or Freight Train ...

Good music is always emotional as it hits the soul. That means it take you back and has you reflect on your life. In some cases,like mine,the darkness of bygone years are best forgotten and there lies the paradox

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Welsh National Anthem on 22:16 - Mar 29 with 762 viewsKilkennyjack

Chief - thank you for your posts.

Brilliant stuff on Swansea Indy once again …… 🙏🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️.

Beware of the Risen People

The Welsh National Anthem on 08:25 - Mar 30 with 722 viewsonehunglow

The Welsh National Anthem on 22:16 - Mar 29 by Kilkennyjack

Chief - thank you for your posts.

Brilliant stuff on Swansea Indy once again …… 🙏🏼🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿❤️.

What 's up with Manic song

Design for Life a classic with great chorus. Why is this not sung.

My project today is...If you tolerate this,then your children will be next. Libraries gave us power. Indeed.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Welsh National Anthem on 09:04 - Mar 30 with 696 viewsSTID2017

Great post

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Login to get fewer ads

The Welsh National Anthem on 11:45 - Apr 1 with 632 viewsTenbySwan

https://www.facebook.com/100063623831070/posts/387980406666084/
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024