Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cardiff Airport 06:57 - Apr 27 with 4945 viewsDr_Winston

How many more tens of millions, maybe hundreds will be wasted on this WG vanity project before the plug is finally pulled and they admit defeat? Will they admit defeat? Or will the rest of Wales have to subsidise this loss making monstrosity in perpetuity because "Cardiff needs an airport because it's a Capital see?"

Less passengers than Exeter, Norwich or Doncaster.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/travel/devastating-passenger-number-figur

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Cardiff Airport on 19:59 - Apr 27 with 1223 viewsKilkennyjack

Cardiff Airport on 19:43 - Apr 27 by Professor

Poor location with dreadful transport links. Poor facilities.
Lack of schedule that links into major airlines for long haul.
Limited low-cost and lack of large holiday companies. Liverpool is comparable but has upgraded.
Needs some real out-of-the -box thought. Shuttle flights to Manchester would allow connections to all the big Asian/Middle Eastern and many North American Airlines.
It’s how US regional airports and places like Bordeaux operate linking to CDG and Schipol

Yes exactly.

Also it needs to be called the Gareth Bale airport.
Better than Best. Just.

Beware of the Risen People

Cardiff Airport on 20:07 - Apr 27 with 1211 viewsjack_lord

Cardiff Airport on 19:43 - Apr 27 by Professor

Poor location with dreadful transport links. Poor facilities.
Lack of schedule that links into major airlines for long haul.
Limited low-cost and lack of large holiday companies. Liverpool is comparable but has upgraded.
Needs some real out-of-the -box thought. Shuttle flights to Manchester would allow connections to all the big Asian/Middle Eastern and many North American Airlines.
It’s how US regional airports and places like Bordeaux operate linking to CDG and Schipol

The thing is that BMI went bust when they were flying North Atlantic from Cardiff. That was a shame as things were looking good for Cardiff airport at that time.
Wizz airlines is using Cardiff as its 4th base in the UK and they are a fast expanding airline and there is talk of Ryanair expanding at the airport.
I prefer flying from Bristol but this year I'm flying from Cardiff twice because the flight times are excellent and there is little difference in price and when you take in to account driving times and fuel it is winner winner chicken dinner.
I did not support the WA backing the airport but it is rising like a phoenix.

Lord_Jack increasingly detached from the riches of kicking a ball
Poll: The E U : Stay or Leave

Cardiff Airport on 20:13 - Apr 27 with 1201 viewsWingstandwood

Cardiff Airport on 20:07 - Apr 27 by jack_lord

The thing is that BMI went bust when they were flying North Atlantic from Cardiff. That was a shame as things were looking good for Cardiff airport at that time.
Wizz airlines is using Cardiff as its 4th base in the UK and they are a fast expanding airline and there is talk of Ryanair expanding at the airport.
I prefer flying from Bristol but this year I'm flying from Cardiff twice because the flight times are excellent and there is little difference in price and when you take in to account driving times and fuel it is winner winner chicken dinner.
I did not support the WA backing the airport but it is rising like a phoenix.

Bristol airport seems a very popular airport for people in Swansea I've lost count the number of times I have heard someone say that they used it on their last holiday.

Argus!

Cardiff Airport on 20:27 - Apr 27 with 1186 viewsjack_lord

Cardiff Airport on 20:13 - Apr 27 by Wingstandwood

Bristol airport seems a very popular airport for people in Swansea I've lost count the number of times I have heard someone say that they used it on their last holiday.

The flight times and destinations are key in the decision making. The driving times do matter as well. It is an hour to Cardiff airport and two hours to Bristol from our house. Just over a gallon in petrol to cardiff and just under three to bristol. Probably obout 15 quid more in fuel and two hours overall driving total.
If Cardiff take on more flights and they are competitive then it is a no brainer for anyone this side of South Wales.

Cardiff Airport on 21:42 - Apr 27 with 1165 viewsLorax

Cardiff Airport on 20:27 - Apr 27 by jack_lord

The flight times and destinations are key in the decision making. The driving times do matter as well. It is an hour to Cardiff airport and two hours to Bristol from our house. Just over a gallon in petrol to cardiff and just under three to bristol. Probably obout 15 quid more in fuel and two hours overall driving total.
If Cardiff take on more flights and they are competitive then it is a no brainer for anyone this side of South Wales.

it depends on your flight time, if you need to be getting to Rhoose at the wrong time of day you could face a traffic nightmare. First the M4, then the 4232 and the single lane roads when you get closer.

However, if you fly early morning it's a breeze, our last holiday we took off at 6am.
Cardiff Airport on 22:21 - Apr 27 with 1149 viewsjack_lord

Cardiff Airport on 21:42 - Apr 27 by Lorax

it depends on your flight time, if you need to be getting to Rhoose at the wrong time of day you could face a traffic nightmare. First the M4, then the 4232 and the single lane roads when you get closer.

However, if you fly early morning it's a breeze, our last holiday we took off at 6am.

That's my point. If you come out of Bristol at the wrong time you face Bristol and then the horrendous joke between Magor services and the tunnels. When you consider your journey you should factor in obstacles such as these.

Cardiff Airport on 22:23 - Apr 27 with 1148 viewsEagleEye

Cardiff Airport on 19:15 - Apr 27 by Boundy

Airport IATA Passengers
London Heathrow Airport LHR 80,886,589
London Gatwick Airport LGW 46,574,786
Manchester Airport MAN 29,367,477
London Stansted Airport STN 28,124,292
London Luton Airport LTN 18,213,901
Edinburgh Airport EDI 14,733,966
Birmingham Airport BHX 12,646,456
Bristol Airport BRS 8,959,679
Glasgow Airport GLA 8,843,214
Belfast International Airport BFS 6,278,374
Newcastle Airport NCL 5,198,952
London City Airport LCY 5,122,271
Liverpool Airport LPL 5,043,975
East Midlands Airport EMA 4,674,338
Leeds Bradford Airport LBA 3,992,209
Aberdeen Airport ABZ 2,912,743
Belfast City Airport BHD 2,455,259
London Southend Airport SEN 2,035,535
Southampton Airport SOU 1,781,308
Jersey Airport JER 1,715,952
Cardiff Airport CWL 1,654,920
Doncaster Sheffield Airport DSA 1,407,862
Exeter Airport EXT 1,021,705
Glasgow Prestwick Airport PIK 638,975
Humberside Airport HUY 201,818

Interesting figures. 20-25% of passengers departing from Bristol airport are from South Wales too. That’s over 2,000,000 passengers if those figures are right
Cardiff Airport on 22:42 - Apr 27 with 1144 viewsLorax

Cardiff Airport on 22:21 - Apr 27 by jack_lord

That's my point. If you come out of Bristol at the wrong time you face Bristol and then the horrendous joke between Magor services and the tunnels. When you consider your journey you should factor in obstacles such as these.

Yet even with the Brynglas tunnels to negotiate more Welsh people prefer to use Bristol. Cardiff is a similar size to Reus airport in Spain yet Reus was a busy, bustling airport. If Cardiff cannot turn a profit then why should us taxpayers subsidise it?

We throw tens of millions at it every year when we have much more pressing needs.

How many people travel into Wales via Rhoose? The Senedd claim it adds to our economy, does it really?
Login to get fewer ads

Cardiff Airport on 22:59 - Apr 27 with 1129 viewsBoundy

Cardiff Airport on 22:21 - Apr 27 by jack_lord

Ah yes Brynglas tunnels , now if only someone could carry out a feasibility study and costings and then have Westminster offer to pay for it , if only

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Cardiff Airport on 23:49 - Apr 27 with 1110 viewsmajorraglan

Cardiff Airport on 22:42 - Apr 27 by Lorax

Yet even with the Brynglas tunnels to negotiate more Welsh people prefer to use Bristol. Cardiff is a similar size to Reus airport in Spain yet Reus was a busy, bustling airport. If Cardiff cannot turn a profit then why should us taxpayers subsidise it?

We throw tens of millions at it every year when we have much more pressing needs.

How many people travel into Wales via Rhoose? The Senedd claim it adds to our economy, does it really?

I dont think it’s a case of more Welsh people preferring to use Bristol, it’s more a case of having to use Bristol because Cardiff is more expensive and there is less choice. If they were comparable on price and destinations Cardiff would be a lot busier.

Cardiff airport could do with a new road connecting it to the ring road, but saying that Bristol is no great shakes to get to either.
Cardiff Airport on 09:51 - Apr 28 with 1071 viewscontroversial_jack

Cardiff Airport on 21:42 - Apr 27 by Lorax

Traffic to Bristol can be just as bad as you have to go past Newport and if the Bridge or M5 have restrictions or even shut
Cardiff Airport on 10:38 - Apr 28 with 1063 viewsLorax

Cardiff Airport on 23:49 - Apr 27 by majorraglan

I dont think it’s a case of more Welsh people preferring to use Bristol, it’s more a case of having to use Bristol because Cardiff is more expensive and there is less choice. If they were comparable on price and destinations Cardiff would be a lot busier.

Cardiff airport could do with a new road connecting it to the ring road, but saying that Bristol is no great shakes to get to either.

So more Welsh people prefer to use Bristol because it's cheaper and offers more choice!

IF they were comparable...big if there. Why do so many companies overlook Cardiff? Why do companies that go to Cardiff nearly always turn a loss and then leave?

A new road connecting it to the ring road, now there's an idea, maybe that road will happen because it'll benefit Cardiff!
Cardiff Airport on 10:48 - Apr 28 with 1057 viewsraynor94

Cardiff Airport on 23:49 - Apr 27 by majorraglan

Well I travel at least 4 times a year on holiday with Tui and its always cheaper than Bristol, but as you say much greater choice with Bristol, due to EasyJet and Ryanair

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Cardiff Airport on 10:54 - Apr 28 with 1053 viewsLorax

Cardiff Airport on 10:48 - Apr 28 by raynor94

Well I travel at least 4 times a year on holiday with Tui and its always cheaper than Bristol, but as you say much greater choice with Bristol, due to EasyJet and Ryanair

We have used Cardiff because it made sense for us, it was slightly cheaper (factoring in flights, travel there, parking) and because we are so close to Cardiff a 6am flight is dead easy, the roads are empty.

Still though, the majority choose English airports and lets face it, nobody from mid or North Wales is going to use Rhoose, it's much to far away and hard to get too, given the Welsh road infrastructure. Birmingham, Liverpool yes, Rhoose, nope.
Cardiff Airport on 10:54 - Apr 28 with 1053 viewsBoundy

Cardiff Airport on 10:38 - Apr 28 by Lorax

So more Welsh people prefer to use Bristol because it's cheaper and offers more choice!

IF they were comparable...big if there. Why do so many companies overlook Cardiff? Why do companies that go to Cardiff nearly always turn a loss and then leave?

A new road connecting it to the ring road, now there's an idea, maybe that road will happen because it'll benefit Cardiff!

They leave once the generous grants/loans provided by the loons in Cardiff stop.
Oxis Energy £3.2m investment from the Development Bank of Wales, gone .
Jistcourt received a £1.1m loan from Finance Wales in 2016 to help its management team buy into the business. gone.
Quinn Radiators received a £3m loan from the Welsh Government in 2018 with the aim of creating 120 jobs and safeguarding a further 290.gone
The amount of taxpayers money written off by the WAG is astonishing but then again labours policy is to spend what they don't have and dam the consequences
The auditor general for Wales was critical of the government's approach to date and the 2018 report made several recommendations. The report stated: "The Welsh Government focused on creating and safeguarding jobs but did not monitor wider economic outcomes against the broad framework of indicators it undertook to report against."

Up until 2017, the majority of financial support was offered as non-repayable grants. In fact, between 2010 and 2017, of the almost £320m spent on business support, only £76m (24%) was classed as repayable grants or commercial loans. Less than £7m (2%) had actually been repaid."

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Cardiff Airport on 23:37 - Apr 29 with 960 viewsLorax

Cardiff Airport on 10:54 - Apr 28 by Boundy

They leave once the generous grants/loans provided by the loons in Cardiff stop.
Oxis Energy £3.2m investment from the Development Bank of Wales, gone .
Jistcourt received a £1.1m loan from Finance Wales in 2016 to help its management team buy into the business. gone.
Quinn Radiators received a £3m loan from the Welsh Government in 2018 with the aim of creating 120 jobs and safeguarding a further 290.gone
The amount of taxpayers money written off by the WAG is astonishing but then again labours policy is to spend what they don't have and dam the consequences
The auditor general for Wales was critical of the government's approach to date and the 2018 report made several recommendations. The report stated: "The Welsh Government focused on creating and safeguarding jobs but did not monitor wider economic outcomes against the broad framework of indicators it undertook to report against."

Up until 2017, the majority of financial support was offered as non-repayable grants. In fact, between 2010 and 2017, of the almost £320m spent on business support, only £76m (24%) was classed as repayable grants or commercial loans. Less than £7m (2%) had actually been repaid."

Ah, the Senedd, chucking away hundreds of millions of OUR money that possibly goes into the pockets of people they know. Corruption?

More likely it's just gross negligence and stupidity. That doesn't make it better though. The Welsh NHS could do with another 240 million, so could our schools.

Governments are always very free with OUR money, whatever colour they are.
Cardiff Airport on 00:29 - Apr 30 with 950 views73__73

Vote labour stay poor

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Cardiff Airport on 07:45 - Apr 30 with 907 viewsbennytheblue

Cardiff Airport on 10:15 - Apr 27 by raynor94

35 years ago, Bristol was little more than an outbuilding and a runway.

Cardiff didn't secure Easyjet and Bristol did, the rest is history.

Look at the difference in the airports now

Exactly this. It just needs a decent carrier and fortunes would be different. Maybe that’s lost now anyway? It’s all package holidays currently with barely any scheduled flights isn’t it? Just Amsterdam is it? That’s why it plummeted so badly during covid.
Maybe, as mad as it sounds it should try and secure a trans Atlantic market? Who actually likes travelling to Gatwick? 30 mins less flight time? If it was cheaper like all things are outside of London then maybe people would do it.
One day they will build a barrage from cardiff bay to Bristol, we will all get free energy and that might open up a market heading this way for once. Of course I’m talking of a world where we don’t suffer Welsh Labour who are dragging this country back to the dark ages in terms of business.
Cardiff Airport on 08:08 - Apr 30 with 889 views73__73

The last few times I’ve flown I’ve flown from Birmingham airport. It’s a superb airport and easy to get too.

Cardiff Airport on 08:36 - Apr 30 with 886 viewsBrynmill_Jack

This is symptomatic of the general small mindedness that ruins Wales as a country and makes us a laughing stock in the UK.

The assembly is like a local parish council - steeped in the self interest of Cardiff and totally blinkered to best practice and common sense.

There were rumblings years ago for a major hub airport to be built on an old brownfield site near pembrey and apparently the interest was healthy. The rail link is there - the main line from Carmarthen to London passes closely by and international carriers thought it a good prospect. Unfortunately the midget minds in Cardiff bay saw this as a threat to their airfield and refused to back it, even though it would have hugely positive i effects on the local economies of the entire West Wales area creating thousands of construction jobs and hundreds of permanent jobs - not to mention the massive boost for the tourist industry here.

But as always it’s not about Wales- it’s about Cardiff.

PS I’m flying from there this year with TUI .

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Cardiff Airport on 08:39 - Apr 30 with 881 views73__73

Cardiff Airport on 08:36 - Apr 30 by Brynmill_Jack

This is symptomatic of the general small mindedness that ruins Wales as a country and makes us a laughing stock in the UK.

The assembly is like a local parish council - steeped in the self interest of Cardiff and totally blinkered to best practice and common sense.

There were rumblings years ago for a major hub airport to be built on an old brownfield site near pembrey and apparently the interest was healthy. The rail link is there - the main line from Carmarthen to London passes closely by and international carriers thought it a good prospect. Unfortunately the midget minds in Cardiff bay saw this as a threat to their airfield and refused to back it, even though it would have hugely positive i effects on the local economies of the entire West Wales area creating thousands of construction jobs and hundreds of permanent jobs - not to mention the massive boost for the tourist industry here.

But as always it’s not about Wales- it’s about Cardiff.

PS I’m flying from there this year with TUI .

Drakeford and co aren’t interested in building infrastructure in Wales.
Won’t be long and horse and cart will be back.

Cardiff Airport on 09:27 - Apr 30 with 861 viewsraynor94

Cardiff Airport on 09:51 - Apr 28 by controversial_jack

Traffic to Bristol can be just as bad as you have to go past Newport and if the Bridge or M5 have restrictions or even shut

Always stay the night before at a hotel with parking.

Have a nice meal couple of drinks and not worrying about traffic

Cardiff Airport on 09:44 - Apr 30 with 852 viewscontroversial_jack

Cardiff Airport on 09:27 - Apr 30 by raynor94

Always stay the night before at a hotel with parking.

Have a nice meal couple of drinks and not worrying about traffic

Yes, that's what i will do next time as I have had twitchy bum a few times. Not sure there are many nice hotels near the airport though.
Cardiff Airport on 10:37 - Apr 30 with 835 viewsraynor94

Cardiff Airport on 09:44 - Apr 30 by controversial_jack

Yes, that's what i will do next time as I have had twitchy bum a few times. Not sure there are many nice hotels near the airport though.

Holiday Inn express, next door to Cardiff Airport, Hampton by Hilton at Bristol, both good

Cardiff Airport on 11:55 - Apr 30 with 817 viewsLorax

Cardiff Airport on 07:45 - Apr 30 by bennytheblue

Exactly this. It just needs a decent carrier and fortunes would be different. Maybe that’s lost now anyway? It’s all package holidays currently with barely any scheduled flights isn’t it? Just Amsterdam is it? That’s why it plummeted so badly during covid.
Maybe, as mad as it sounds it should try and secure a trans Atlantic market? Who actually likes travelling to Gatwick? 30 mins less flight time? If it was cheaper like all things are outside of London then maybe people would do it.
One day they will build a barrage from cardiff bay to Bristol, we will all get free energy and that might open up a market heading this way for once. Of course I’m talking of a world where we don’t suffer Welsh Labour who are dragging this country back to the dark ages in terms of business.

And that comes from a Bluebird! We agree entirely mate. The lunacy of the Welsh governments decisions, the small minded, parochial and plainly stupid decisions are killing most of Wales.

Drakeford and his cronies are busy trying to look good on the world stage with big green policies that Wales cannot afford right now. Unless Westmisnter gives us a lot more money or we go indy and it proves to be a roaring success then we will never have the funding to be anywhere near big players. The Senedd should concetrate on doing the best thing for Wales and leave the big eco decisions to Westminster.
Welsh tax/council tax payers cannot afford to pay Westminsters green levies and then have the Senedd impose more green costs on us.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024