Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. 13:56 - Sep 16 with 7886 viewsDale_4_Life

No need to contact the club for this one.....

Previously I witnessed a disgraceful incident with a steward being over zealous with a little girls rucksack (3 years old if that) demanding she empty her toys so he could search for contraband.

On Tuesday there was a step change for the better and whilst probably less people in attendance the stewards were engaging and polite and not high and mighty just to tick boxes / following poorly thought out instructions. If this is the new stewarding approach then it is to be applauded.
[Post edited 16 Sep 2022 16:14]
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 14:27 - Sep 16 with 6203 viewskel

Which stand?
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 16:11 - Sep 16 with 6055 viewsDale_4_Life

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 14:27 - Sep 16 by kel

Which stand?

It was the pearl st.

Unsavoury v Grimsby.

Total different demeanour v Leyton Orient to much relief.
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 18:02 - Sep 16 with 5915 viewsisitme

They change their mind all the time. One game they will let anyone in, no problem, others it's checking bags (which is fair enough) and others it's the full touch up.
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 18:22 - Sep 16 with 5874 viewsBlueMessiah

I had the opposite experience on Tuesday when entering the Sandy. My 15 year old lad was searched yet I wasn't. Then just behind me a bloke in probably his late 70s (apologies, Sir, if I'm wide of the mark) was fully searched and had to empty his pockets.
Obviously the knob who threw the flare hadn't been searched properly.
Inconsistency is still a big problem.

Poll: Do I Know You?

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 18:36 - Sep 16 with 5842 viewsD_Alien

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 18:22 - Sep 16 by BlueMessiah

I had the opposite experience on Tuesday when entering the Sandy. My 15 year old lad was searched yet I wasn't. Then just behind me a bloke in probably his late 70s (apologies, Sir, if I'm wide of the mark) was fully searched and had to empty his pockets.

Absolutely correct. The overall impression one is left with is having to partake in a game of chance, conducted by minimum wagers who need to be seen to be doing something to justify their jobs

I usually acquiesce to their meaningless requests, but more out of pity for them than for any significant impact on security within the COA

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 22:47 - Sep 16 with 5644 viewsSandyman

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 18:22 - Sep 16 by BlueMessiah

Spot on. My experience entering that terrace for the past few games has been the same. Random frisking, (didn't work chaps, pyro got in) and generally arsy attitude by said stewards once in the ground. We had a corner late in the first half last Tuesday as people were heading for catering / toilets / Ratcliffes, and those who obviously hung back to watch said corner were given short shrift and moved on by the so-called stewards protecting their precious yellow lines.
Lacking in common sense (or possibly box ticking) with a small Tuesday night crowd.
Wonder how they'd get on if it was busy. This lot create more problems than they solve IMHO.
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 23:02 - Sep 16 with 5627 viewsJames1980

Is it time for the club to employee the services of a company that provides sniffer dogs trained to detect pyrotechnics?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 23:29 - Sep 16 with 5614 viewsD_Alien

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 23:02 - Sep 16 by James1980

Is it time for the club to employee the services of a company that provides sniffer dogs trained to detect pyrotechnics?

I doubt even sniffer dogs would detect flares being sneaked inside underpants unwashed for 5 days, James

Login to get fewer ads

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 23:57 - Sep 16 with 5587 viewsJames1980

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 23:29 - Sep 16 by D_Alien

I doubt even sniffer dogs would detect flares being sneaked inside underpants unwashed for 5 days, James

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 09:42 - Sep 17 with 5397 viewsDalenet

To be fair I have never been 'touched up' getting into the main stand. Perhaps they are worried about what they might touch!

I thought the police had a tough time on Tuesday managing the Leyton Orient fans spoiling for a fight on Sandy Lane. There were only two of the them and they had their work cut out. Some people just don't know how to behave
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 13:10 - Sep 17 with 5256 viewsDale_4_Life

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 09:42 - Sep 17 by Dalenet

To be fair I have never been 'touched up' getting into the main stand. Perhaps they are worried about what they might touch!

I thought the police had a tough time on Tuesday managing the Leyton Orient fans spoiling for a fight on Sandy Lane. There were only two of the them and they had their work cut out. Some people just don't know how to behave

Trying to stop every conceivable trouble situation will never work and it causes bad feeling that turns into resentment.

The vast majority behave impeccably and yet made to feel like hooligans. What should happen is every fan given good grace until they transgress knowing if you show knob head behaviour it comes with some form of punishment.
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 14:23 - Sep 17 with 5195 viewsisitme

That's another issue. Frisk the great unwashed in the Sandy and Pearl Street but the supporters in the main stand get a free pass.
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 08:17 - Sep 20 with 4937 viewsStatzdale

Maybe they should have retained the stewards they previously employed, instead of a rentamob. Stewards who got on with and became friends with supporters and worked with them and not against them, taking time to explain the reasons for the decisions given to them from the ivory tower. I had worked there for 25 consecutive seasons, and I successfully ran two stands as a supervisor, Sandy and then Main.

Getting sacked from your stewarding job and two goldbond rounds ( which I had done for 15 years bringing in £20,000 for the club ) in the same week wasn’t pleasant. Without even a simple thank you. They lost some fantastic stewards and Goldbond agents that week. Many were ST holders who have never returned. I think I have the right and justification to still feel bitter towards the club
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 11:14]
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 08:57 - Sep 20 with 4900 viewsDalenet

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 08:17 - Sep 20 by Statzdale

Maybe they should have retained the stewards they previously employed, instead of a rentamob. Stewards who got on with and became friends with supporters and worked with them and not against them, taking time to explain the reasons for the decisions given to them from the ivory tower. I had worked there for 25 consecutive seasons, and I successfully ran two stands as a supervisor, Sandy and then Main.

Getting sacked from your stewarding job and two goldbond rounds ( which I had done for 15 years bringing in £20,000 for the club ) in the same week wasn’t pleasant. Without even a simple thank you. They lost some fantastic stewards and Goldbond agents that week. Many were ST holders who have never returned. I think I have the right and justification to still feel bitter towards the club

I feel for you here. The stewarding hasn't been the same. We seem to have more of them nowadays and yet we have lower crowds. They don't help when something goes wrong and are happy to watch when some of our elderly fans fall down the steps. I know that stewarding is the least of our worries given the on pitch challenges, but it shouldn't be brushed under the carpet.
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 09:47 - Sep 20 with 4851 viewsBucketBstard

Seriously ?? Wish I had walked round via Sandy Lane now , I would give the Chas and Dave duo a fight....
Never forgot how they didnt send burnley into the Non league all those years ago LOL !
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 12:30 - Sep 20 with 4709 viewsD_Alien

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 08:17 - Sep 20 by Statzdale

I don't think we need to guess who was behind this

What was the model of employment (without being too specific)? Were most of the stewards you worked alongside local people? If so, do you think it'd be feasible to return to this model? And if so, would discussions with the board (perhaps via the Dale Trust) be worth exploring?

I can fully understand your bitterness. We're a different club now though, and your experience might be very valuable in putting right a situation that would help Dale in its claim to be a Community Club - by employing more local people who understand our fanbase whilst retaining the requisite standards of security

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:23 - Sep 20 with 4426 viewsStatzdale

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 12:30 - Sep 20 by D_Alien

I don't think we need to guess who was behind this

What was the model of employment (without being too specific)? Were most of the stewards you worked alongside local people? If so, do you think it'd be feasible to return to this model? And if so, would discussions with the board (perhaps via the Dale Trust) be worth exploring?

I can fully understand your bitterness. We're a different club now though, and your experience might be very valuable in putting right a situation that would help Dale in its claim to be a Community Club - by employing more local people who understand our fanbase whilst retaining the requisite standards of security

We had a few who were “£10 and a yellow jacket” but they were shown the door quickly. The majority were Dale supporters who had a genuine love for the club and like me worked with the fans to make the game pleasurable for them. Don’t know why we were dispensed with as we were not paid anything like what the current lot are paid now. We were all fully trained with the emergency services present at many of them, and as a supervisor I was Level 3 trained with refreshers every season. We were not perfect but I’m sure neither are those who are there now.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 19:32]
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:37 - Sep 20 with 4398 viewsD_Alien

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:23 - Sep 20 by Statzdale

We had a few who were “£10 and a yellow jacket” but they were shown the door quickly. The majority were Dale supporters who had a genuine love for the club and like me worked with the fans to make the game pleasurable for them. Don’t know why we were dispensed with as we were not paid anything like what the current lot are paid now. We were all fully trained with the emergency services present at many of them, and as a supervisor I was Level 3 trained with refreshers every season. We were not perfect but I’m sure neither are those who are there now.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 19:32]

Thanks for the reply

Do you think it'd be worth exploring a return to that model? Especially if the costs to the club would be a positive? It needn't happen overnight - the club are probably under contract for the rest of this season with the current security company, but maybe a return to a more local security presence for next season?

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:49 - Sep 20 with 4366 viewsStatzdale

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:37 - Sep 20 by D_Alien

Thanks for the reply

Do you think it'd be worth exploring a return to that model? Especially if the costs to the club would be a positive? It needn't happen overnight - the club are probably under contract for the rest of this season with the current security company, but maybe a return to a more local security presence for next season?

I’ll work with the club and the trust if that is what they want but I’m definately not running back to the place I was sacked from with no good reason. If I had made a major error I would find it easier to understand, but I had an unblemished record and I believe I was well liked by players and supporters alike, enough drinks were bought for me by the fantastic supporters. Not sure if any of the old brigade would follow me back either as many have now moved on. I was bewildered and incredibly hurt, to be treated like this after 25 seasons hence my bitterness. I’m not sure my body is upto doing a full season thesedays, I’m not far off 60
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 20:25]
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:55 - Sep 20 with 4340 viewsD_Alien

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:49 - Sep 20 by Statzdale

I’ll work with the club and the trust if that is what they want but I’m definately not running back to the place I was sacked from with no good reason. If I had made a major error I would find it easier to understand, but I had an unblemished record and I believe I was well liked by players and supporters alike, enough drinks were bought for me by the fantastic supporters. Not sure if any of the old brigade would follow me back either as many have now moved on. I was bewildered and incredibly hurt, to be treated like this after 25 seasons hence my bitterness. I’m not sure my body is upto doing a full season thesedays, I’m not far off 60
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 20:25]

Fully appreciate how you feel, and the passing of years

The issue was almost certainly down to the toxicity of one person, aided and abetted by his cronies on the board who were booted out of the club last year

I'll drop a line with the Dale Trust in support of exploring the possibilities. I'm sure your input, however much or little you wish that to be, would be greatly valued and might just go some way to righting another wrong
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 19:56]

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 20:17 - Sep 20 with 4291 viewsstandale

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 19:55 - Sep 20 by D_Alien

Fully appreciate how you feel, and the passing of years

The issue was almost certainly down to the toxicity of one person, aided and abetted by his cronies on the board who were booted out of the club last year

I'll drop a line with the Dale Trust in support of exploring the possibilities. I'm sure your input, however much or little you wish that to be, would be greatly valued and might just go some way to righting another wrong
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 19:56]

isn’t there a conflict here though, if i’m a Dale fan i go to watch the game, if i’m stewarding and doing my job properly, i surely wouldn’t be able to watch the game, doesn’t seem to sit right with me.
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 20:23 - Sep 20 with 4278 viewskel

Tonight I’ve seen one steward openly arguing with her supervisor (he’s gone now but she’s still at it) and another constantly staring at my 14 year old daughter and her friend and only looking away when I he noticed me staring back at him.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 20:24]
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 20:28 - Sep 20 with 4255 viewsD_Alien

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 20:17 - Sep 20 by standale

isn’t there a conflict here though, if i’m a Dale fan i go to watch the game, if i’m stewarding and doing my job properly, i surely wouldn’t be able to watch the game, doesn’t seem to sit right with me.

That'll be entirely down to those who wish to take up stewarding roles. No-one will be press-ganged into it

Anyway, the ball is rolling now

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 20:57 - Sep 20 with 4184 viewsStatzdale

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 20:23 - Sep 20 by kel

Tonight I’ve seen one steward openly arguing with her supervisor (he’s gone now but she’s still at it) and another constantly staring at my 14 year old daughter and her friend and only looking away when I he noticed me staring back at him.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 20:24]

I never argued with my staff anyway, but would definately not do so in front of customers, it’s not good to see. And as far as staring at your daughter and her friend that’s so wrong on a multitude of levels. I would absolutely make a complaint to the club directed to the Ground Safety Officer. They have lists of the staff employed on that stand. At the next game if he is there have a word with the supervisor and ask for the steward to be removed from the position or better still the stand, no spectator should have to feel intimidated. Try and get the stewards number or name and I’m sure on freedom of information the club has to provide it. I hope all stewards are now DBS checked, if not they should be. Due to my job in education I have an enhanced DBS but I don’t think anyone was in my day. I could be wrong however, but I think the stewards would have to pay for their own.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 21:14]
Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 21:02 - Sep 20 with 4158 viewsD_Alien

Positive post for balance - Stewarding. on 20:57 - Sep 20 by Statzdale

I never argued with my staff anyway, but would definately not do so in front of customers, it’s not good to see. And as far as staring at your daughter and her friend that’s so wrong on a multitude of levels. I would absolutely make a complaint to the club directed to the Ground Safety Officer. They have lists of the staff employed on that stand. At the next game if he is there have a word with the supervisor and ask for the steward to be removed from the position or better still the stand, no spectator should have to feel intimidated. Try and get the stewards number or name and I’m sure on freedom of information the club has to provide it. I hope all stewards are now DBS checked, if not they should be. Due to my job in education I have an enhanced DBS but I don’t think anyone was in my day. I could be wrong however, but I think the stewards would have to pay for their own.
[Post edited 20 Sep 2022 21:14]

You have a message - a little red light flashing in the top righthand corner of the screen

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024