Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Welsh as a second language 15:47 - Nov 1 with 2397 viewsCountyJim

Just wondering what other learners experience is my granddaughter has just started in Welsh nursery in Newport I'd like to learn Welsh is it best to learn on line or physical class

Just wanted to know other learners experiences
Welsh as a second language on 15:53 - Nov 1 with 1881 viewsonehunglow

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Welsh as a second language on 16:02 - Nov 1 with 1875 viewsAguycalledJack

Wife is first language welsh. 4 yr old daughter will be first language welsh. She’s bilingual already.
I’m learning as I go through them.

Try the app duolingo.

Classes obviously a good idea if you can and don’t let be afraid to make mistakes when you try and speak welsh.
Welsh as a second language on 16:10 - Nov 1 with 1867 viewsWingstandwood

My learner experience was that my late gran spoke a different type of Welsh to that of what I was being taught in school. She was not speaking 'grammatical' Welsh.

Oh and there is a thing called "soft mutations" which I found uttely superfluous. Why change Caerdydd to Gaerdydd? Oh and I have forgotten most of it but can at the least remember "to every action there is an opposite and equal reaction" (physics) and trigonometry SohCahToa (maths).

So this gist is? You have got to contiue speaking a language to maintain your memory because otherwise you will forget a lot what you learnt.

The same thing happened also to the Swedish blonde from ABBA after she left behind the music industry, touring and having to speak English at press conferences etc. "If you don't use it, you will lose it".

Argus!

Welsh as a second language on 16:50 - Nov 1 with 1832 viewsCountyJim

Welsh as a second language on 16:10 - Nov 1 by Wingstandwood

My learner experience was that my late gran spoke a different type of Welsh to that of what I was being taught in school. She was not speaking 'grammatical' Welsh.

Oh and there is a thing called "soft mutations" which I found uttely superfluous. Why change Caerdydd to Gaerdydd? Oh and I have forgotten most of it but can at the least remember "to every action there is an opposite and equal reaction" (physics) and trigonometry SohCahToa (maths).

So this gist is? You have got to contiue speaking a language to maintain your memory because otherwise you will forget a lot what you learnt.

The same thing happened also to the Swedish blonde from ABBA after she left behind the music industry, touring and having to speak English at press conferences etc. "If you don't use it, you will lose it".

Isn't it true that the north and south dialect is different
Welsh as a second language on 17:01 - Nov 1 with 1826 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh as a second language on 16:50 - Nov 1 by CountyJim

I am not 100% sure on that but I think you are probably correct, the "Hendy" Welsh my gran spoke was utterly useless when I asked her to help me with homework. She reffered to her Welsh as slang Welsh.

But I do assume that what I refer to as grammatical educational standard Welsh is spoken and taught in places like Aberystwyth and places the further north you go in Wales.

Argus!

Welsh as a second language on 17:23 - Nov 1 with 1806 viewsonehunglow

Welsh as a second language on 17:01 - Nov 1 by Wingstandwood

I am not 100% sure on that but I think you are probably correct, the "Hendy" Welsh my gran spoke was utterly useless when I asked her to help me with homework. She reffered to her Welsh as slang Welsh.

But I do assume that what I refer to as grammatical educational standard Welsh is spoken and taught in places like Aberystwyth and places the further north you go in Wales.

If you speak South Wales welsh in somewhere like Moria Nefynor Llangefni,the reactions would be of great interest to you

The language divides,like it or not ,north /south….proper Welsh or slang Welsh

And this is celebrated

Welsh as a second language on 17:28 - Nov 1 with 1803 viewsWingstandwood

Welsh as a second language on 17:23 - Nov 1 by onehunglow

If you speak South Wales welsh in somewhere like Moria Nefynor Llangefni,the reactions would be of great interest to you

The language divides,like it or not ,north /south….proper Welsh or slang Welsh

And this is celebrated

Crazy to think, I remember actor Keith Allen on Radio Wales talking about what he referred to as Welsh language snobbery that you find up North.... I had an inkling from what he said that many Welsh language speakers up North see themselves as superior to those down the South. The pure breed of both Welshness and spoken Welsh at it were!

Argus!

Welsh as a second language on 17:37 - Nov 1 with 1791 viewsalltjack

My mother is first language welsh, my father not, I therefore am not, nor my wife, or my 2 daughters, my grandchildren however are in a welsh school, the pride I get from hearing my 9 year old, fluent welsh grandaughter having a full on conversation with her great grandmother in their native tongue brings tears to my eyes. My daughter, their mother, has also learnt Welsh to obviously aid her children in their schoolwork by learning from other parents in the playground and volunteering as classroom help and learning in the classroom as she goes
Login to get fewer ads

Welsh as a second language on 17:38 - Nov 1 with 1790 viewsonehunglow

Welsh as a second language on 17:28 - Nov 1 by Wingstandwood

Crazy to think, I remember actor Keith Allen on Radio Wales talking about what he referred to as Welsh language snobbery that you find up North.... I had an inkling from what he said that many Welsh language speakers up North see themselves as superior to those down the South. The pure breed of both Welshness and spoken Welsh at it were!

Trust me ,they do .they also see themselves as more Welsh .
South Welsh sounds far better,north Welsh for me sounds ;:()/

Welsh as a second language on 18:09 - Nov 1 with 1761 viewsonehunglow

Lot of Welsh spoken Ellesmere port
That’s the Gogs shopping at Cheshire Oaks
Not a Welsh speaking area really per se

Welsh as a second language on 18:15 - Nov 1 with 1752 viewslifelong

‘Say Something Welsh’ is a good audio course Jim.

It’s a 3 level course which you can download from the App Store, the first level used to be free but I don’t think it is now. There is a North and South version.

The wife, and all her large family, are fluent Welsh speakers and it is their first language.
I recently did a heritage check on the family and was able to go back to the 18th Century and all of her ancestors on her Father’s side, of which there were many, who were miners and farmers from Carmarthenshire and Pembrokeshire, were all first language Welsh speakers.

Pob lwc.
Welsh as a second language on 18:16 - Nov 1 with 1754 viewsScotia

Welsh as a second language on 17:38 - Nov 1 by onehunglow

Trust me ,they do .they also see themselves as more Welsh .
South Welsh sounds far better,north Welsh for me sounds ;:()/

I've attempted to learn Welsh several times. It's difficult. I've tried because I'll get an advantage in my career as we have employment quotas associated with language ability.

I managed to get an A at GCSE a few years ago but now can't speak much at all. As despite the quotas we don't need to use Welsh at all in work.

I also gave up once because I was laughed at when trying to speak it by a famous Welsh language children's author.

Snobbery and considering themselves "more Welsh" sounds about right.
Welsh as a second language on 18:23 - Nov 1 with 1749 viewsonehunglow

Welsh as a second language on 18:16 - Nov 1 by Scotia

I've attempted to learn Welsh several times. It's difficult. I've tried because I'll get an advantage in my career as we have employment quotas associated with language ability.

I managed to get an A at GCSE a few years ago but now can't speak much at all. As despite the quotas we don't need to use Welsh at all in work.

I also gave up once because I was laughed at when trying to speak it by a famous Welsh language children's author.

Snobbery and considering themselves "more Welsh" sounds about right.

My father spoke welsh to his parents but he made a point if refusing to teach us .
He insisted I learn European languages
I can pronounce Welsh and have a rough idea of the vocabulary .
I can speak French fluently and get by with German and Spanish and Portuguese .l
I learned Dutch when son lived there and it is similar to German and although pronounciation is tricky,it’s fRceasiercthan Welsh.

Ok find the grammar difficult so ,like you refine and update my knowledge if languages I will speak. I won’t speak Welsh in north Wales

Welsh and the use of it was a real issue in our family. My mother hated it ,but she s long dead . She died unhappy so she paid for it . Don’t worry Killy. She went to burning hell .

Welsh as a second language on 19:32 - Nov 1 with 1715 viewsBoundy

I served in a Welsh infantry Regiment although raised on the mid welsh /English border it was ( now defunct thanks to Blair) considered predominately a n Walian regiment , many colleagues spoke welsh as their 1st language which never seemed to cause any problem to those who didn't , but a proud boast for those who could , It was found very useful at times when on the radio net confusing those who listened in or whilst on sneaky beaky ops . Some of my grandkids can converse, some can't, as posters have already pointed it , either use it or lose it.

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Welsh as a second language on 20:08 - Nov 1 with 1694 viewsbuilthjack

Welsh as a second language on 17:37 - Nov 1 by alltjack

My mother is first language welsh, my father not, I therefore am not, nor my wife, or my 2 daughters, my grandchildren however are in a welsh school, the pride I get from hearing my 9 year old, fluent welsh grandaughter having a full on conversation with her great grandmother in their native tongue brings tears to my eyes. My daughter, their mother, has also learnt Welsh to obviously aid her children in their schoolwork by learning from other parents in the playground and volunteering as classroom help and learning in the classroom as she goes

The kids seem to be learning it. 4 grandkids, 3 are fluent and the other soon will be.
Most of their friends are the same.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh as a second language on 20:55 - Nov 1 with 1665 viewsalltjack

Welsh as a second language on 20:08 - Nov 1 by builthjack

The kids seem to be learning it. 4 grandkids, 3 are fluent and the other soon will be.
Most of their friends are the same.

How can that be not be a good thing, I'm astounded that some people think it's not
Welsh as a second language on 20:59 - Nov 1 with 1664 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh as a second language on 16:50 - Nov 1 by CountyJim

There are a few differences between the dialects, but it’s limited to a few words and sayings and nothing which would prevent people from each area having a conversation.
Welsh as a second language on 21:18 - Nov 1 with 1652 viewsbuilthjack

Welsh as a second language on 20:55 - Nov 1 by alltjack

How can that be not be a good thing, I'm astounded that some people think it's not

Some come across as anti Welsh. Maybe English parents, or moved to England and now prefer England? Must be something that they are anti Welsh.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Welsh as a second language on 21:50 - Nov 1 with 1635 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh as a second language on 17:01 - Nov 1 by Wingstandwood

My parents weren’t Welsh speakers, but they wanted my brother and I to speak the language and we were sent to the local welsh primary and secondary schools. After leaving school I went to work in a predominantly English speaking area and lost a lot of my confidence to speak the language. In my mid 20’s I had a change of career and started working in the West Wales area where the Welsh language was used in social and formal settings. I slowly began using the language and got my confidence back and I now use it on a daily basis - it can have a really positive impact and makes a real difference especially with the older generation.

As I learned Welsh, I don’t use the slang terminology a lot of welsh speakers use and people often comment that I speak “proper welsh” - I don’t see it that way but it's what others tell me. The standard of the grammatical Welsh taught in Welsh Language Secondary Schools will be high and consistent across Wales. My written Welsh isn’t as good as it was, but my verbal Welsh is good. Wifey is a non Welsh speaker despite having a welsh speaking parent, my kids went to Welsh language primary and secondary schools and their Welsh is very good. Both use it regularly in their day to day lives. I think in English and convert to Welsh, I also know people who think in Welsh and convert to English while my kids switch between the 2 instantaneously.

Learning Welsh is hard, apps like Duo-lingo can help but being part of a group or class is better as you can ask questions, get clarity, practice etc etc.
Welsh as a second language on 07:03 - Nov 2 with 1571 viewsScotia

Welsh as a second language on 21:50 - Nov 1 by majorraglan

My parents weren’t Welsh speakers, but they wanted my brother and I to speak the language and we were sent to the local welsh primary and secondary schools. After leaving school I went to work in a predominantly English speaking area and lost a lot of my confidence to speak the language. In my mid 20’s I had a change of career and started working in the West Wales area where the Welsh language was used in social and formal settings. I slowly began using the language and got my confidence back and I now use it on a daily basis - it can have a really positive impact and makes a real difference especially with the older generation.

As I learned Welsh, I don’t use the slang terminology a lot of welsh speakers use and people often comment that I speak “proper welsh” - I don’t see it that way but it's what others tell me. The standard of the grammatical Welsh taught in Welsh Language Secondary Schools will be high and consistent across Wales. My written Welsh isn’t as good as it was, but my verbal Welsh is good. Wifey is a non Welsh speaker despite having a welsh speaking parent, my kids went to Welsh language primary and secondary schools and their Welsh is very good. Both use it regularly in their day to day lives. I think in English and convert to Welsh, I also know people who think in Welsh and convert to English while my kids switch between the 2 instantaneously.

Learning Welsh is hard, apps like Duo-lingo can help but being part of a group or class is better as you can ask questions, get clarity, practice etc etc.

That reminds me of a time I popped into a pub in Lampeter in when my Welsh was at a decent level.

I ordered a pint in Welsh only for the bloke behind the bar to "say bloody learner are you" to me in English. I think for speaking correctly. Chorus of laughs followed from the farmers sitting by the bar.

Good point about written Welsh (and reading) if 30% of people can speak Welsh those who can read or write is much lower.

In fact I've got about 3 first language Welsh speakers working for me, none of them can read or write formal Welsh confidently.
Welsh as a second language on 07:45 - Nov 2 with 1556 viewsherbie

Go for it. It's well worth it and there are so many learning options. This website is great and links to lots of courses. I am currently learning it at an online course. Cost is only something like £40 or so for a whole year. You choose whether to do the South or North Walian options as there are some differences although not enough to mean you couldn't be understood in the North.

https://learnwelsh.cymru/
[Post edited 2 Nov 2022 7:52]
Welsh as a second language on 08:29 - Nov 2 with 1536 viewsmajorraglan

Welsh as a second language on 07:03 - Nov 2 by Scotia

That reminds me of a time I popped into a pub in Lampeter in when my Welsh was at a decent level.

I ordered a pint in Welsh only for the bloke behind the bar to "say bloody learner are you" to me in English. I think for speaking correctly. Chorus of laughs followed from the farmers sitting by the bar.

Good point about written Welsh (and reading) if 30% of people can speak Welsh those who can read or write is much lower.

In fact I've got about 3 first language Welsh speakers working for me, none of them can read or write formal Welsh confidently.

There is an app called Cysill, it was devised by Bangor University and does all the spelling and mutation checks, it’s really good. Anybody writing in Welsh, or someone learning Welsh will find it invaluable.
Welsh as a second language on 10:05 - Nov 2 with 1508 viewsonehunglow

Welsh as a second language on 21:50 - Nov 1 by majorraglan

Why make a language such a big issue.
Far more important matters facing Wales,poorest region of the country .

Welsh as a second language on 16:34 - Nov 2 with 1433 viewsherbie

Welsh as a second language on 10:05 - Nov 2 by onehunglow

Why make a language such a big issue.
Far more important matters facing Wales,poorest region of the country .

Because our language and heritage is important. I can't yet speak Welsh fluently but want to and will.
Welsh as a second language on 16:44 - Nov 2 with 1431 viewsCountyJim

Welsh as a second language on 15:53 - Nov 1 by onehunglow

What's wrong with learning Welsh
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024