Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
LR atmosphere and new standing sections 12:14 - Jan 3 with 4447 viewsFleetRss

Does anyone else think the lower loft standing section has had a negative impact on our home support this season?

I was surprised at how quiet the crowd was last night despite us being in the lead for most of the game and with a crowd of more than 14k.

It seems to me that when noise is created in the Q, P and R blocks, the roof causes the sound to reverberate around the ground which prompts fans in other sections to sing up.

However with many of our noisiest fans now in the lower loft, any noise created in that section just dissipates.

Have we made a mistake in where we’ve put this section? Would we be better off encouraging fans to stay in the Q,P,R blocks by converting Q and P to standing?

Interested to hear what others think (maybe it’s just our terrible home form to blame)
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:30 - Jan 3 with 3475 viewsthame_hoops

Me and my mate stood here for the Burnley game, it was fairly noisy, he came over from America, so I wanted him to experience all the singing, he wasn’t disappointed although most of the singing was about Mickey Beale

The flags are a nice touch, but we were just behind where they dropped. I couldn’t see anything for five minutes pregame team intros, and don’t touch the flag or the guy in the east 17 white puffer jacket gets mad ha ha
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:35 - Jan 3 with 3429 viewsJuzzie

I've not been to LR yet since it was installed but I'd imagine home form has a lot do do with it. Any ground is usually rocking when flying high compared to being on a poor run of form.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:39 - Jan 3 with 3409 viewsRBlock

I think yesterday was a very flat atmosphere given the circumstances (beating 2nd in the table, on Sky, under the lights), because every was feeling hungover and knackered, and back in work the next day. Doesn't lend itself to people getting pissed up before the game and really ramping up the noise.

On the whole safe standing has improved the atmosphere, but I would like to see it extended further into R Block though.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:47 - Jan 3 with 3372 viewsPaddyhoops

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:39 - Jan 3 by RBlock

I think yesterday was a very flat atmosphere given the circumstances (beating 2nd in the table, on Sky, under the lights), because every was feeling hungover and knackered, and back in work the next day. Doesn't lend itself to people getting pissed up before the game and really ramping up the noise.

On the whole safe standing has improved the atmosphere, but I would like to see it extended further into R Block though.

If somebody could let me know how many from play we’ve scored at the loft end this season. I would appreciate it.
It’s not a lot that’s for sure. I kept my seat which turned into safe standing. Crowd is a lot younger now but if they give us something to cheer about it would be a huge help.
On another note 14 k was great showing considering it was an 8 o’clock KO , last day of hols and frankly terrible home form ! Well done to everyone.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:52 - Jan 3 with 3352 viewsManinBlack

Being controversial I want to see the all seater stadia policy fully dropped and convert both ends behind the goals back to terracing abolishing the two tier stands altogether. If we could get the capacity back to 30,000 then we wouldn't need to move. Of course to attract bigger crowds for greater income we need to get into the Premier League which is the flaw...
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:55 - Jan 3 with 3339 viewsajcoombes

I think it has helped marginally to improve the atmosphere within that corner of the ground. Yesterday's lack of atmosphere was perhaps down to a few factors, such as back to work next day, hangover from the Luton game.

I sit in the lower loft to the left of the goal as you look at it and I think the lack of atmosphere comes from this area in particular. Whenever a chant starts in the corner there are very few of us willing to join in and therefore the chanting just fades away.

So whilst there has been improvement to the immediate area of the loft, there is still a library-like silence at times from the seated areas.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:57 - Jan 3 with 3318 viewsJuzzie

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:52 - Jan 3 by ManinBlack

Being controversial I want to see the all seater stadia policy fully dropped and convert both ends behind the goals back to terracing abolishing the two tier stands altogether. If we could get the capacity back to 30,000 then we wouldn't need to move. Of course to attract bigger crowds for greater income we need to get into the Premier League which is the flaw...

If the lower loft, paddocks and school end were all reverted to rail seating (can't see full terracing ever coming back) I can't see capacity being more than around 23k.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 13:05 - Jan 3 with 3260 viewsManinBlack

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:57 - Jan 3 by Juzzie

If the lower loft, paddocks and school end were all reverted to rail seating (can't see full terracing ever coming back) I can't see capacity being more than around 23k.

Which is why I want to go back to old style terracing to help the smaller clubs get more income with bigger gates. It won't happen because this country is health and safety minded. We can't increase our capacity like Fulham and Chelsea did as the ground is boxed in so we have to move.
Login to get fewer ads

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 13:10 - Jan 3 with 3235 viewswombat

be the same as it is now , rail seating dosnt increase the amount we can show horn into ~LR

Poll: which is your favouite foot

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 13:52 - Jan 3 with 3062 viewsdaveB

This was always the concern I had with it all, the noise in the lower loft never circulates around the ground due to the lack of a roof, never had an issue with safe standing and think it's a good thing but needed to go in the noisy areas of the stadium rather than move everyone.

At least it's ended the myth that it was the family stands fault for the crap atmosphere.

Hopefully it turns around over the next few months/years and it becomes a success but for as long as I have gone it's always been the same, play well/big games great atmosphere, the rest of the time an absolute morgue, same as every other club really.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:02 - Jan 3 with 3017 viewsSuperhoop83

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:47 - Jan 3 by Paddyhoops

If somebody could let me know how many from play we’ve scored at the loft end this season. I would appreciate it.
It’s not a lot that’s for sure. I kept my seat which turned into safe standing. Crowd is a lot younger now but if they give us something to cheer about it would be a huge help.
On another note 14 k was great showing considering it was an 8 o’clock KO , last day of hols and frankly terrible home form ! Well done to everyone.

We've scored one goal from open play into the loft end this season.

Dykes v Cardiff.

Having been going to Loftus Road since 1982, I picked the wrong season to get my first ever season ticket in the Upper Loft.

Suffering since 1978.

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:04 - Jan 3 with 3001 viewsNW5Hoop

Rail seating doesn't change the capacity. It's a straight swap  — one seat for one standing place.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:06 - Jan 3 with 2994 viewsNW5Hoop

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 13:05 - Jan 3 by ManinBlack

Which is why I want to go back to old style terracing to help the smaller clubs get more income with bigger gates. It won't happen because this country is health and safety minded. We can't increase our capacity like Fulham and Chelsea did as the ground is boxed in so we have to move.

It won't happen because of all the people who died in open terrace disasters. It's not being "health and safety minded" to not want another Hillsborough or Ibrox; it's basic human decency.

But even if it did, it wouldn't make any difference to income inequality — that's what stops us competing. All the big clubs would have bigger terraces, with even more capacity, and would stay that much richer.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2023 14:33]
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:10 - Jan 3 with 2974 viewsNorthantsHoop

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 12:47 - Jan 3 by Paddyhoops

From recollection only 1 goal from open play for us at Loft End this season, against Cardiff. Think the only other 2 goals were penalties against Cardiff and Reading.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:24 - Jan 3 with 2916 viewsstowmarketrange

Half of PL was empty last night,and that wouldn’t have helped the atmosphere.Also most of us spent the 2nd half nervously biting our fingernails.
It certainly is warmer standing up for 90 minutes though,and for that reason it is a good thing.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:37 - Jan 3 with 2852 viewscolinallcars

A real idiot question regarding the rail seating area.
My back is giving me ever-increasing gyp ( am I allowed to say that?) so I think next year I would feel better standing.
My Q, can I buy a ST there and do you get a number or is it just a long bench with a tail in front so you can sit/stand where you wish, a bit like the old terrace where you could stand anywhere and lean on the barrier ?
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:46 - Jan 3 with 2831 viewsdaveB

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:37 - Jan 3 by colinallcars

A real idiot question regarding the rail seating area.
My back is giving me ever-increasing gyp ( am I allowed to say that?) so I think next year I would feel better standing.
My Q, can I buy a ST there and do you get a number or is it just a long bench with a tail in front so you can sit/stand where you wish, a bit like the old terrace where you could stand anywhere and lean on the barrier ?

it's basically the same as the seating in the lower loft but the seat is upright, pretty sure you van get a season ticket in there, i don't think it sold out

This video explains it all

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 14:53 - Jan 3 with 2802 viewshertshoops

After half a season standing again, I forget the seat is there even at HT

Added bonus is saves knees from having to keep standing up for tossers further along the row with small bladders 2nd half

Atmosphere in there is miles better this season
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 16:27 - Jan 3 with 2597 viewscolinallcars

Thanks for the info chaps - I may give it a go although I prefer watching from the sides.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 16:41 - Jan 3 with 2556 viewsCateLeBonR

I actually thought the atmosphere was the best it’s been for a while last night. Burnley was very negative although completely understandably and Luton was crap with the ‘we’re fcking shit’ brigade in attendance. Yesterday I’d best describe as a supportive atmosphere.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 16:43 - Jan 3 with 2542 viewsHarbour

Yes I have stood in there a couple of times really enjoyed it atmosphere great loads of room good vibe. But when your sitting in G block SA rd you can’t always hear the singing. As other said it’s more what’s happening on the pitch than off it that’s impacting the noise in the ground. Play well the crowd responds a few shit results and no goals and it tanks. Hopefully we will get back on track on the pitch and last night was a good start.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 16:51 - Jan 3 with 2481 viewsJuzzie

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 13:10 - Jan 3 by wombat

be the same as it is now , rail seating dosnt increase the amount we can show horn into ~LR

That's a good point! So yes, in order to increase the capacity it will need to be full-on old style terracing which a) will never happen and b) probably not more that 23k-25k.

The biggest attended game i can remember when we did have all the old style terracing was against Spurs and that was "officially, cough cough" 28k.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 17:42 - Jan 3 with 2337 viewsHayesender

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 16:51 - Jan 3 by Juzzie

That's a good point! So yes, in order to increase the capacity it will need to be full-on old style terracing which a) will never happen and b) probably not more that 23k-25k.

The biggest attended game i can remember when we did have all the old style terracing was against Spurs and that was "officially, cough cough" 28k.

2-2 game in 85?

Well over 30,000 inside Loftus Rd that day. Couldn't get a cigarette paper between you and the next person

Poll: Shamima Beghum

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 17:52 - Jan 3 with 2300 viewscolinallcars

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 17:42 - Jan 3 by Hayesender

2-2 game in 85?

Well over 30,000 inside Loftus Rd that day. Couldn't get a cigarette paper between you and the next person

I seem to remember a home evening early season game v Wet Spam. It was a hot sultry evening and SA Rd was packed. Don't know the official crowd but there was talk of Hammers fans getting counterfeit tix.
LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 17:58 - Jan 3 with 2280 viewsHayesender

LR atmosphere and new standing sections on 17:52 - Jan 3 by colinallcars

I seem to remember a home evening early season game v Wet Spam. It was a hot sultry evening and SA Rd was packed. Don't know the official crowd but there was talk of Hammers fans getting counterfeit tix.

Poll: Shamima Beghum

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024