Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wealdstone - Club Statement 07:57 - Nov 11 with 2236 viewsRodingdale

Seems they have big plans, working in partnership with their local council:

“Commenting on the plans Wealdstone’s Chairman, Rory Fitzgerald, said: “London Borough of Hillingdon's decision to allocate the club this land follows a long period of discussion and negotiation and will play an important role in safeguarding the future of the club and supporting its growth. On behalf of the Board, I would like to personally thank London Borough of Hillingdon for their support and we look forward to working closely with them as we take the project forward, subject to planning.

The new stadium is fantastic news not only for our fans and players but the whole local community. As we progress, we will ensure that we optimise the benefits for local residents while also working to minimise and mitigate any potential environmental impacts associated with a construction project of this size.

In addition, we are confident that the security and growth potential offered by the new stadium will help us attract the investment we need to realise our ambition of one day playing in the EFL.”

The Board is currently involved in a number of preliminary discussions regarding funding and remain open to approaches from those considering investment in what is set to be an exciting period of growth for the club. Funding for the construction of the stadium is also expected to be generated through the development of new residential units and associated commercial floorspace on an area of the site allocated by London Borough of Hillingdon. These modern and much needed properties will benefit from the same outstanding location and transport links associated with the new stadium.

The club is actively working with its partners to establish a feasible timeline in which to be playing in the new stadium. Separately the Board is continuing its discussions with the landlords of The Vale which remains firmly in the club's plans as a facility to support its ambition to progress into the English Football League (EFL).”

I recall Gauge told TS that councils don’t do this sort of thing…
[Post edited 11 Nov 2023 8:11]
Wealdstone - Club Statement on 10:43 - Nov 11 with 2034 viewsCockneyDale

It doesn't really matter whether other councils do, the only thing that matters is whether Rochdale Borough Council do. I'd guess Hillingdon is a richer Council than Rochdale.
Wealdstone - Club Statement on 10:44 - Nov 11 with 2031 viewsDalenet

It is good to see a club having a great relationship with the Local Authority. I think it is a bit harsh to pull up Simon's comments on this one. There is a world of difference nowadays between councils in the North that used to get the larger Government grants and have ben hit hard by the rebalancing of the local authority funding plans and those authorities in the south with higher property prices and higher local tax receipts who are generally failry well off. If I was a council that owned development land in a town where many homes will cost over £500k when sold, I might be prepared to think about how such attractive funding could help a sporting venue for the community.

As for our region, most authorities are cash strapped. Some will throw a bit of cash at new facilities (Oldham for the redevelopment of the pitch to allow the rugby club to use boundary park again) and Bury who desperately wanted to do something to get an empty stadium in use. We have a decent stadium and the council has put money in before. They have put some money into the development at Balderstone for the rugby club. So there are small pockets of investment. But unless we have a strong commercial plan to build a new stadium that we can afford to run, I am not sure what else we'd want the council to do. They certainly won't be just subsidising us.

Anyhow, good luck to Wealdstone (after today) with their development plans
Wealdstone - Club Statement on 12:23 - Nov 11 with 1913 views49thseason

Wealdstone - Club Statement on 10:44 - Nov 11 by Dalenet

It is good to see a club having a great relationship with the Local Authority. I think it is a bit harsh to pull up Simon's comments on this one. There is a world of difference nowadays between councils in the North that used to get the larger Government grants and have ben hit hard by the rebalancing of the local authority funding plans and those authorities in the south with higher property prices and higher local tax receipts who are generally failry well off. If I was a council that owned development land in a town where many homes will cost over £500k when sold, I might be prepared to think about how such attractive funding could help a sporting venue for the community.

As for our region, most authorities are cash strapped. Some will throw a bit of cash at new facilities (Oldham for the redevelopment of the pitch to allow the rugby club to use boundary park again) and Bury who desperately wanted to do something to get an empty stadium in use. We have a decent stadium and the council has put money in before. They have put some money into the development at Balderstone for the rugby club. So there are small pockets of investment. But unless we have a strong commercial plan to build a new stadium that we can afford to run, I am not sure what else we'd want the council to do. They certainly won't be just subsidising us.

Local councils in England are sitting on £34Bn of cash reserves. There is no shortage of money, our money, there is an unwillingness to spend it . Perhaps some of the accountants amonst us might want to take a look at RMBC's accounts and see how much of our money they are sitting on whilst increasing Council taxes by 4.9% a year.
https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/local-authority-revenue-expenditure-and
Wealdstone - Club Statement on 12:34 - Nov 11 with 1899 viewsjonahwhereru

Wealdstone - Club Statement on 10:44 - Nov 11 by Dalenet

Good points, well made. However there are plenty of councils in the south that are feeling the pinch. Not just the likes of Thurrock and Croydon who have made catastrophic investment decisions but generally relatively less money is heading local governments way than for many years. Add to that numerous councils will be impacted by the equal pay act, if not as markedly as Birmingham CC.
The council has rolled it sleeves up more than once to help out Rochdale. There are plenty of causes / services that are more needy than pro football clubs for most councils right now.
Wealdstone - Club Statement on 13:19 - Nov 11 with 1828 viewsRodingdale

Wealdstone is actually in L B Harrow, having lost their original ground, it’s now a Tesco. Hillingdon obviously is a more receptive Borough and see the value in a thriving pro football club.

Let’s hope any new investors see the opportunities through the barriers.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024