Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
ALAN SMITH SKY SPORTS 17:50 - Nov 28 with 2458 viewsdavidab2202

On a much lighter note in view of all that appears to be evolving around our beloved club today, was a little surprised to hear Smith use an expression which to my understanding is very much a "Rochdale local expression" when he described an injury suffered by the Wolves fullback was a result of him having "Cruckled over". Did wonder how many people watching knew what he was talking about
ALAN SMITH SKY SPORTS on 18:23 - Nov 28 with 2310 viewsdeeplishblue

I have used that expression to friends who hail from the North West thinking they would know what I meant and no one knew what I was talking about. I think in the urban dictionary it refers to the word as a purely rochdalian term.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2023 18:24]

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

ALAN SMITH SKY SPORTS on 19:06 - Nov 28 with 2128 viewsdavidab2202

ALAN SMITH SKY SPORTS on 18:23 - Nov 28 by deeplishblue

I have used that expression to friends who hail from the North West thinking they would know what I meant and no one knew what I was talking about. I think in the urban dictionary it refers to the word as a purely rochdalian term.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2023 18:24]

Tend to agree ,play a bit of walking football whilst out in Cyprus where the club has both Male and Female members and when a woman who was there for the first time used the expression to describe going over on an ankle I said "well I know were you are from in the UK" and I was certainly right !!!!
ALAN SMITH SKY SPORTS on 16:34 - Nov 29 with 1600 viewsWirralDale

ALAN SMITH SKY SPORTS on 19:06 - Nov 28 by davidab2202

Tend to agree ,play a bit of walking football whilst out in Cyprus where the club has both Male and Female members and when a woman who was there for the first time used the expression to describe going over on an ankle I said "well I know were you are from in the UK" and I was certainly right !!!!

No-one in Wirral had heard of it when I moved here 40 years till I met someone in Liverpool who was brought up in Rochdale! Just checked ‘cruckle’ in urban dictionary 😊
ALAN SMITH SKY SPORTS on 16:45 - Nov 29 with 1558 viewsNafelad

The area for clogmaking in Rochdale was Lowerplace, off Oldham Road/Kingsway/Queensway. Walking on the cobbled streets in clogs produced a painful slip (off a cobble) that made the hard leather top edge of the clog cut into the ankle and the ankle to turn over - this was called 'a cruckle'.

Topcat

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024