Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
MEN Now Covering The Story 18:23 - Nov 30 with 8105 viewsdale1968

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/breaking-rochdale-afc-latter-stages

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:20 - Dec 1 with 2426 viewsRodingdale

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:05 - Dec 1 by James1980

It's only in the last few days the names have been in the public domain though. And some of the criticism of Gauge et al has bordered on being a vendetta. I think Bottomley was able to stay in position for as long as he did because it appeared there were axes to grind.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2023 8:12]

So you think Gauge adopted his approach which has lead to where we are ‘in the last few days’?
MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:23 - Dec 1 with 2414 viewsTalkingSutty

MEN Now Covering The Story on 07:32 - Dec 1 by nordenblue

That much of an NDA its been easily available for everyone to hear about im guessing initially via someone within the club then plastered all over social media for us all to read...I'd be surprised if the trust know much more than the average fan knowing how the board choose to "communicate"

Or have the board kept things quiet for as long as possible intentionally hoping to get their return signed and sealed knowing that the true identities of the new guys would ring massive alarm bells if named any earlier... lots of questions,not many answers but again if details don't become available people will speculate

The Trust are in place to sound the alarm, plenty of fans did it but the Trust didn't. They didn't need to know the ins and outs of a ducks backsides, when people stop communicating and putting up barriers it's done for a reason, thats tge biggest red flag of all and its been going on for twelve months. They were allowed to change the whole ethos of the club overnight without even being challenged, if that's not giving those in the Boardroom the green light to do as they please with the club then i don't know what is.
MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:35 - Dec 1 with 2370 viewsTalkingSutty

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:05 - Dec 1 by James1980

It's only in the last few days the names have been in the public domain though. And some of the criticism of Gauge et al has bordered on being a vendetta. I think Bottomley was able to stay in position for as long as he did because it appeared there were axes to grind.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2023 8:12]

There was no axe to grind with Bottomley, all you had to do was stand back a few paces and watch and listen. The instant you criticised him or refused his advances ( offers of free hospitality in my case), you knew what you was dealing with. A fella who was very good at getting people onside, a con man. He admitted what he was when he pleaded guilty to the charges and received his ban from football. At least he admitted it so deserves a bit of credit for that. People probably think some fans have a axe to grind with the current board, genuine concern is spun into a personal dislike to attack the messenger when it's nothing of the sort. Protecting the people in the boardroom has been the priority over protecting the interests of the club and its been like that since Dunphy left. We got away with it once but this time we've lost the club i think.
[Post edited 1 Dec 2023 8:49]
MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:40 - Dec 1 with 2349 viewsJames1980

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:20 - Dec 1 by Rodingdale

So you think Gauge adopted his approach which has lead to where we are ‘in the last few days’?

The information regarding the ' new owners' was only in the public domain a few days ago after they registered themselves at companies house as being located at The COA. The accusations that people who had spent vast sums of money to keep the club afloat were destroying the club and the whole conspiracy theoryesque comments really haven't helped matters.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:50 - Dec 1 with 2287 viewsRodingdale

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:40 - Dec 1 by James1980

The information regarding the ' new owners' was only in the public domain a few days ago after they registered themselves at companies house as being located at The COA. The accusations that people who had spent vast sums of money to keep the club afloat were destroying the club and the whole conspiracy theoryesque comments really haven't helped matters.

I’ve put forward an alternative model for the club where it engaged with fans, the community, local stakeholders to create a sustainable club, possibly at a lower level, but a model where the club is a sustainable part of the town. A model which works for Hereford or Wealdstone for example. You’d know that if you read my posts through the course of the year.

What isn’t helpful is naively supporting the board in the face of all logic.

Gauge bit off more than he could chew and misread what he was walking into. We are left to pay the price for his naivety, refusal to listen and adapt. A shame because it could have been different had he done so.
MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:54 - Dec 1 with 2281 viewsTalkingSutty

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:50 - Dec 1 by Rodingdale

I’ve put forward an alternative model for the club where it engaged with fans, the community, local stakeholders to create a sustainable club, possibly at a lower level, but a model where the club is a sustainable part of the town. A model which works for Hereford or Wealdstone for example. You’d know that if you read my posts through the course of the year.

Gauge bit off more than he could chew and misread what he was walking into. We are left to pay the price for his naivety, refusal to listen and adapt. A shame because it could have been different had he done so.

Anybody up for starting a PhoenixClub?
MEN Now Covering The Story on 09:00 - Dec 1 with 2252 viewsJames1980

Was it naïve to not believe he was 'destroying the club' intentionally or that he had invested in the club with a view to making money developing the land?

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

MEN Now Covering The Story on 13:06 - Dec 1 with 1978 viewsBrierls

MEN Now Covering The Story on 08:54 - Dec 1 by TalkingSutty

Anybody up for starting a PhoenixClub?

May as well, there's a few Kenny Dalglish Senior's among those who post regularly.
Login to get fewer ads

MEN Now Covering The Story on 13:08 - Dec 1 with 1964 viewsBrierls

Tell me more about the model working for Hereford FC...
MEN Now Covering The Story on 14:03 - Dec 1 with 1828 viewsRodingdale

MEN Now Covering The Story on 13:08 - Dec 1 by Brierls

Tell me more about the model working for Hereford FC...

Save me the bother and illuminate us - no doubt you have greater insight. I mentioned Hereford because they went out went down down down and are on their way back.

My point is running around trying to get someone to ‘invest’ in the old fashioned way isn’t going to be sustainable it just proliferates the cycle of new owner, optimism, loss of interest, decline, look for someone else. I’m advocating we cut our cloth to suit - we own our ground, and in my opinion do not make the club a part of the community. I think we should change the record. if you think different that’s cool. But no doubt you can explain why Hereford was a bad example.
MEN Now Covering The Story on 15:22 - Dec 1 with 1642 viewsBrierls

MEN Now Covering The Story on 14:03 - Dec 1 by Rodingdale

Save me the bother and illuminate us - no doubt you have greater insight. I mentioned Hereford because they went out went down down down and are on their way back.

My point is running around trying to get someone to ‘invest’ in the old fashioned way isn’t going to be sustainable it just proliferates the cycle of new owner, optimism, loss of interest, decline, look for someone else. I’m advocating we cut our cloth to suit - we own our ground, and in my opinion do not make the club a part of the community. I think we should change the record. if you think different that’s cool. But no doubt you can explain why Hereford was a bad example.

Hereford are also losing money hand over fist.

You've just done "a Bottomley". Reading are what we should aspire to be etc.
MEN Now Covering The Story on 16:02 - Dec 1 with 1512 viewsRodingdale

MEN Now Covering The Story on 15:22 - Dec 1 by Brierls

Hereford are also losing money hand over fist.

You've just done "a Bottomley". Reading are what we should aspire to be etc.

Thanks for that. Do you have any view on my main point?
MEN Now Covering The Story on 17:38 - Dec 1 with 1208 viewsBrierls

MEN Now Covering The Story on 16:02 - Dec 1 by Rodingdale

Thanks for that. Do you have any view on my main point?

I don't know where I stand on when/where to draw the line on us surrendering our current position in the league/non-league structure. We hear most other clubs are in the same boat but find a way to continue.

I agree we as fans shouldn't naively support the board in the face of all logic. To take that stance, you've got to be pretty sure that your logic is correct. Your mantra is anti-Gauge, it doesn't really matter what he did/does as your mind is made up. You're as blinded against Gauge as some you could accuse of being so pro-Gauge.

FWIW I think the board have made a mess of running the club, but bad decisions aren't the whole reason why we're not breaking even. We very rarely did. If the takeover is solely by these three, with no further information/proof of funding or sustainability given, then I do fear we're absolutely screwed as they don't look a viable option based on Google!
MEN Now Covering The Story on 18:27 - Dec 1 with 1064 viewsRodingdale

MEN Now Covering The Story on 17:38 - Dec 1 by Brierls

I don't know where I stand on when/where to draw the line on us surrendering our current position in the league/non-league structure. We hear most other clubs are in the same boat but find a way to continue.

I agree we as fans shouldn't naively support the board in the face of all logic. To take that stance, you've got to be pretty sure that your logic is correct. Your mantra is anti-Gauge, it doesn't really matter what he did/does as your mind is made up. You're as blinded against Gauge as some you could accuse of being so pro-Gauge.

FWIW I think the board have made a mess of running the club, but bad decisions aren't the whole reason why we're not breaking even. We very rarely did. If the takeover is solely by these three, with no further information/proof of funding or sustainability given, then I do fear we're absolutely screwed as they don't look a viable option based on Google!

Fair enough, although I would say it’s over time that have become anti the way Gauge runs the club. Time and again he’s had the opportunity to listen and change his approach, but he’s got worse and worse. He got my goat with his casual announcement of dropping the fan owned and in the same interview had a go at fans on this board for giving up. Well we’ve been paying customers at this club for decades, in my case five decades. For four of those chairmen managed to coalesce the fan base, little old Rochdale backs against the wall. He has managed to drive a wedge between the board and a large section of the fan base.

In May TS posted a plea for the board to give us a vision, for what happens next. That was a time when the leadership of the club could have stepped back and taken a breath. An opportunity to admit to mistakes, reboot the board fan relationship, and to galvanise the fan base with a view of what next for little Rochdale. But we got nothing from the Chairman. Until we got the usual flurry of buy a season ticket communications. The lack of expressed vision, was to me a further erosion of my view of him. Then the what in my view was a horrible fans forum, when you go to a public meeting and come out with lines like ‘mind your own business’ you’ve lost your audience im afraid. I’m not the only one who thought that. And the secured loan which quickly followed - made me nervous and a bit distrusting, the ground was something we had / have which sets us apart - bringing that into play set off alarm bells. In the background the Trust running workshops filled with ideas, which fell onto the stony boardroom floor. The tales of fans who offered help, turned away the volunteer army fiasco. The ground is falling apart, you can’t buy a pie with your pint, poor old bar manager having to bid for this and that. The trust appear to be being treated with disdain.

That’s all in the last year. So if I now come across as anti Gauge, then I probably am now, because I’ve given up on him listening to his customers. I would defend myself though, I am not blinded against Gauge, I was pleased he took over, I very much wanted him to succeed, I contributed financially to pay legal fees to fight off MH, but over time his actions have put me off him. It’s a shame because he could have had such a positive legacy, whether it’s positive or not now is in his hands.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024