Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
EEL Stays 13:07 - Jun 5 with 5931 viewsBainesy15

New two-year contract!

Has his doubters but I think this is a great bit of business for stability.
EEL Stays on 18:34 - Jun 7 with 1216 viewsfitzochris

EEL Stays on 18:09 - Jun 7 by 49thseason

Whilst all defences will leak poor goals occasionally, our defensive problem for most of last season was crosses from our left hand side not being properly defended or prevented in the first instance. A bigger problem was not being ruthless enough in front of goal. Had we scored another goal every other game , say 20 more over the season we would have been into the play off places..taking chances must be an area for improvement in the coming season. I am still hopefull that we will bring in a competent left back with Armstrong as back up.

Spot on about the weakness to crosses - both defending them and stopping them. It was a major Achilles heel for most of the season.

As for the goals return, we were without a fit Rodney for most of the season and Mitchell got injured just when he hit a real purple patch. I honestly believe without those two things hindering us, we’d have scored a lot more last season. Poor Ian Henderson being relied upon alone for that spell around Christmas was ludicrous and, now we have more budget, I’m hoping that a lack of bad luck on the injury front, and a boost to squad depth, will see us fare better this season in front of goal.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

EEL Stays on 01:06 - Jun 8 with 920 views49thseason

EEL Stays on 18:34 - Jun 7 by fitzochris

Spot on about the weakness to crosses - both defending them and stopping them. It was a major Achilles heel for most of the season.

As for the goals return, we were without a fit Rodney for most of the season and Mitchell got injured just when he hit a real purple patch. I honestly believe without those two things hindering us, we’d have scored a lot more last season. Poor Ian Henderson being relied upon alone for that spell around Christmas was ludicrous and, now we have more budget, I’m hoping that a lack of bad luck on the injury front, and a boost to squad depth, will see us fare better this season in front of goal.

I thought Mitchell had several perfectly presentable opportunities that he completely fluffed his lines on... his heading is a weakness that will be difficult to improve and which nullifies the wingers to an extent. I fear he doesn't make the centre halves he is up against work hard enough.
EEL Stays on 10:13 - Jun 8 with 761 viewssamueloneils

Agree about Mitchell. But the crazy thing about the sta of last season was a squad with only 2 strikers. Losing Rodney in the first game was bad luck, but after that there was no option but to stick with Mitchell through. A player with low confidence and little previous success. Hendon had to cover as a makeweight striker, which is not his strength.
Rodney finished the season6 on fire, a revelation, buy is he still with us. And has he overcome what was the issue through most of the season.

This Imo is the biggest weakness for Jim
EEL Stays on 10:22 - Jun 8 with 742 viewsfitzochris

EEL Stays on 01:06 - Jun 8 by 49thseason

I thought Mitchell had several perfectly presentable opportunities that he completely fluffed his lines on... his heading is a weakness that will be difficult to improve and which nullifies the wingers to an extent. I fear he doesn't make the centre halves he is up against work hard enough.

Yes he did miss chances, what striker at this level doesn’t. Ironically, Mitchell was at his best when playing on his own - his game suffered somewhat when Rodney returned, as he became a bit more static.

Mitchell’s goal return for the season, given he was never signed to be the main striker, is more than commendable. He’s not a world beater, I know, but I think his shift last season gets him pass marks.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

EEL Stays on 11:09 - Jun 8 with 684 viewssamueloneils

As a number 2, I agree.

But we need 3 strikers if promotion is a serious ambition.

Ideally a few years younger ( and cheaper).
EEL Stays on 14:33 - Jun 8 with 481 viewsShun

EEL Stays on 14:50 - Jun 5 by animal8

It's up to Jim to play to his strengths, and that means not messing about at the back..l think he is a solid defender not a playmaker .

There’s a lot of talk on here about him not being a playmaker, not contributing to attacks, etc. I disagree. I posted last season’s stats a few weeks ago but it’s worth repeating now:

John 0G, 2A
Gordon 0, 1
Nevett 0, 1
Armstrong 0, 1
Ferguson 0, 0
Oduroh 1, 0
EEL 3, 3
Keohane 7, 6

So, apart from Keohane who’s often played in midfield, he’s far and away our most productive defender. For all the praise given to Nevett for his passing, I actually think Ebanks-Lansdell is better at it. He’s also won a penalty, and we have the highest amount of clean sheets (9) with him in the team.

He might struggle when under pressure trying to pass it around the back, but his long passes are usually very effective. He did a pass like the below most games.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024