Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? 22:51 - Oct 9 with 3933 viewsN12Hoop

Does there come a point when football clubs consider whether there is a wider social consideration to be considered when accepting a sponsor? Loads of football clubs are sponsored by betting companies and alcohol companies. Does this encourage gambling and drinking? I don't know, and i suspect not, but Wonga lend money at 4000% apr to people in need of a quick fix and if they can't repay sell it to debt recovery agents at 20p in the £ (so i've been told).
Should a football club associate themselves with this sort of organisation or should they just accept the cash and argue it's not their problem?

Poll: Who would you most like to see win the Premiership?

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 15:33 - Oct 10 with 700 viewsHayesender

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 09:39 - Oct 10 by Buck_Chilly

Here's the article
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/newcastles-muslim-sta

Does this same law affect betting companies and breweries sponsoring football teams?

I noticed in the T20 world cup, some of the south African players didn't have the sponsor of castle lager on their tops.

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 16:32 - Oct 12 with 643 viewsJohnMcCo

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 15:33 - Oct 10 by Hayesender

I noticed in the T20 world cup, some of the south African players didn't have the sponsor of castle lager on their tops.

I'm surprised that there has been such a hoo hah about this. Not because Wonga are not exploitative, profiteering scum. They are of course. But because I didn't hear a peep when Blackpool took Wonga on their shirts. Do Blackpool not matter?
Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 16:37 - Oct 12 with 637 viewsMrSheen

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 15:33 - Oct 10 by Hayesender

Hashim Amla doesn't, as an observant Muslim. Fair enough in his case, it's not as if he can find another coutnry to play for.
Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 16:44 - Oct 12 with 633 viewsJuzzie

Well, if there are going to be ethics about sponsorship, what about club ownership?

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 17:36 - Oct 12 with 608 viewsTacticalR

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 16:32 - Oct 12 by JohnMcCo

I'm surprised that there has been such a hoo hah about this. Not because Wonga are not exploitative, profiteering scum. They are of course. But because I didn't hear a peep when Blackpool took Wonga on their shirts. Do Blackpool not matter?

Indeed, is Wonga that different from any other capitalist business? Isn't profit (profiteering?) the goal of capitalist society?

Perhaps Wonga are unfortunate in that as financial capitalists (bankers) it's pretty obvious how they obtain profits, whereas it's not always so obvious how industrial/productive capitalists obtain profits (or at least the industrial/productive capitalists are seen to make profits in a more 'virtuous' way).

In fact isn't Wonga just making money out of jobless workers who have been dismissed by other 'virtuous' capitalist businesses or who are very poorly paid by other 'virtuous' capitalist businesses?

This article gives some background on how Beecroft (major Wonga investor and Tory donor) obtained his money (via business consultancy Boston Consulting Group and venture capitalists Apax):

Revealed: How Adrian Beecroft made a career out of cutting jobs
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/revealed-how-adrian-beecroft-made-

Air hostess clique

Newcastle and Wonga.com. An acceptable partnership? on 13:46 - Oct 13 with 574 viewsMrSheen

Sorry to dig this one up again, but I thought this was worth passing on.

Apparently the Newcastle Utd squad are
upset about the new Wonga shirt
sponsorship. But Alan Pardew told them
it's not important, as long as they
just get out on the pitch
and give 4,175 percent.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024