Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... 20:36 - Apr 25 with 4425 viewsDale57

in football and maybe tempt them up to spotland.
Just a thought but what about a tournament held throughout the season,maybe groups in the lines of a mini international cup competition with the final held at spotland at the end of the season.Each team could represent their country of origin say,like Poland,England,India,Pakistan and so on and so on.Bit of fun i'm sure and would surely help in bringing the townsfolk together.
Thoughts please ?
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 20:42 - Apr 25 with 4404 viewsnordenblue

You did say minorities then?!!:)
Not a bad idea though any extra interest is good interest so fair play.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 21:00 - Apr 25 with 4359 viewsDale57

There just might be a few stars out there who are apprehensive at trying to make a go of it,infact i'm sure of it.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 21:40 - Apr 25 with 4319 viewsKenBoon

Nowadays it's about integration, so having folk represent their country (many of whom will be British and have British parents) pretty much flies in the face of what Football is trying to do. Nowt wrong with the idea of knockout Football. Does the club have an official indoor league (football not darts and dominos)?
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 21:46 - Apr 25 with 4302 viewsTalkingSutty

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 21:40 - Apr 25 by KenBoon

Nowadays it's about integration, so having folk represent their country (many of whom will be British and have British parents) pretty much flies in the face of what Football is trying to do. Nowt wrong with the idea of knockout Football. Does the club have an official indoor league (football not darts and dominos)?

Interesting idea.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 21:58 - Apr 25 with 4269 viewsDale57

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 21:40 - Apr 25 by KenBoon

Yeh i agree with what you say but it dosn't really matter where people are from or who they would want to represent,the main aim ,as you rightly point out,is intergration and maybe making a small step in the right direction.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 22:04 - Apr 25 with 4257 viewsDomDale

Thought this for a while, there's an untapped amount of fans within the borough.

On a side note, if it's pulled off and works can we start serving curries, saurkraut etc?

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 22:08 - Apr 25 with 4242 viewsDale57

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 22:04 - Apr 25 by DomDale

Thought this for a while, there's an untapped amount of fans within the borough.

On a side note, if it's pulled off and works can we start serving curries, saurkraut etc?

Dont see why not,we should cater for all.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 23:20 - Apr 25 with 4184 viewsmodelboydave

Interesting idea... However the problem with attracting ethnic minorities, I.e Pakistani, Bangladeshi is they are just not interested in lower league football.

You see them at liverpool, man utd , but dale, bury no.

Lots of teams like luton, Leicester and dale have looked at this, it's flogging a dead horse I'm afraid.

I asked a Luton friend I worked with if he wanted a free ticket once to Luton, he response. You stick to footie where you are welcome and il stick to the mosque where i am welcome. Kind of summed it up i thought.

Poll: Attention man united fans - who do you want to win the premier league?

Login to get fewer ads

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 23:27 - Apr 25 with 4181 viewsDale57

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 23:20 - Apr 25 by modelboydave

Interesting idea... However the problem with attracting ethnic minorities, I.e Pakistani, Bangladeshi is they are just not interested in lower league football.

You see them at liverpool, man utd , but dale, bury no.

Lots of teams like luton, Leicester and dale have looked at this, it's flogging a dead horse I'm afraid.

I asked a Luton friend I worked with if he wanted a free ticket once to Luton, he response. You stick to footie where you are welcome and il stick to the mosque where i am welcome. Kind of summed it up i thought.

Thats the negativity that needs to be shown the door.At the wembly play-off final i saw an indian family in the Dale contingent and thought at the time how refreshing it was and gave them a big smile because i thought it was great to see.Maybe they wasn't from rochdale i dont know but more things can and should be done to encourage more into the fold.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 23:47 - Apr 25 with 4173 viewsDale57

Just a thought but what about the club inviting folk to join the supporters team or something along those lines with a carrot of a family ticket for those who participate in trials or the likes.Make them feel welcome with a tour of the stadium etc with other supporters players.Have the crack with them and show them that we can all laugh together and welcome them to matches.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 08:33 - Apr 26 with 4107 viewsmodelboydave

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 23:27 - Apr 25 by Dale57

Thats the negativity that needs to be shown the door.At the wembly play-off final i saw an indian family in the Dale contingent and thought at the time how refreshing it was and gave them a big smile because i thought it was great to see.Maybe they wasn't from rochdale i dont know but more things can and should be done to encourage more into the fold.

Dale57'

I say things as they are. We are now on the 3rd, 4th generation of some ethnic minorities are they show no sign of being interested in lower league football.

Late kick off ran an article on this at burnley, its not just Rochdale.

Plus what people forget is this is not a football problem, its a society problem. When you talk about integrating into football, realistically you are talking about integrating into society.

Throughout our history we have had mass immigration from places like Ireland and after the war the DPs ( displaced persons)- all these communities integrated within a generation and all have descendants who now watch the dale.

The fact we are on the 4th generation of Asians and they have not tells you all you need to know.

Not politically correct. But as rafa says I deal in facts.

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 08:52 - Apr 26 with 4094 viewsoff2div1

If a cricket match was organised with the football team playing local Asian,s you would probably get good response, also it could be organised by football in the community because they links with the local community.
Have we got a single Asian/polish player in the youth team?
We need to recruit at least 1 or 2.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 09:54 - Apr 26 with 4069 viewsmodelboydave

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 08:52 - Apr 26 by off2div1

If a cricket match was organised with the football team playing local Asian,s you would probably get good response, also it could be organised by football in the community because they links with the local community.

now if you get cricket involved you have a chance. I play local league cricket in Luton and have have tons of asian teams..... cricket they do like!

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 11:34 - Apr 26 with 4040 views49thseason

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 08:52 - Apr 26 by off2div1

I have often thought that we ought to be able to recruit in Poland and the Ukraine given the numbers of people from those countries who are now so well embedded in the local community. What's Polish 2nd or 3rd division football like?
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 12:47 - Apr 26 with 3999 viewsmodelboydave

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 11:34 - Apr 26 by 49thseason

I have often thought that we ought to be able to recruit in Poland and the Ukraine given the numbers of people from those countries who are now so well embedded in the local community. What's Polish 2nd or 3rd division football like?

I agree 49th.

After the war there was a large influx of polish/ Ukraine migrants. Lots of the descendants of these immigrants now support dale , you can tell by their surnames.

If the club could target the new influx of migrants I would be all for this.

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 12:51 - Apr 26 with 3996 views49thseason

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 12:47 - Apr 26 by modelboydave

I agree 49th.

After the war there was a large influx of polish/ Ukraine migrants. Lots of the descendants of these immigrants now support dale , you can tell by their surnames.

If the club could target the new influx of migrants I would be all for this.

I was thinking that there ought to be sufficient connections between Rochdale and Poland / Ukraine to open some sort of pipeline for young players to come to Rochdale and try out at the club together with a scouting system in those countries.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 13:02 - Apr 26 with 3983 viewschuckleberry

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 11:34 - Apr 26 by 49thseason

Having watched football in Poland at the highest level I can confirm that the standard is poor, very poor!
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 13:31 - Apr 26 with 3959 viewspioneer

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 08:33 - Apr 26 by modelboydave

Dale57'

I say things as they are. We are now on the 3rd, 4th generation of some ethnic minorities are they show no sign of being interested in lower league football.

Late kick off ran an article on this at burnley, its not just Rochdale.

Plus what people forget is this is not a football problem, its a society problem. When you talk about integrating into football, realistically you are talking about integrating into society.

Throughout our history we have had mass immigration from places like Ireland and after the war the DPs ( displaced persons)- all these communities integrated within a generation and all have descendants who now watch the dale.

The fact we are on the 4th generation of Asians and they have not tells you all you need to know.

Not politically correct. But as rafa says I deal in facts.

"The fact WE are on the 4th generation of Asians and THEY have not tells you all you need to know." (Emphasis added)

If you think 'integration' is a one way process I think it is never likely to happen. Perhaps try to understand how countries with a much greater success of integration (Canada, Australia) have achieved that might help.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 14:29 - Apr 26 with 3935 viewsKathmandale

Hello all,

rare post from a long time reader.

I think this could well be part of a bigger problem to do with how football is perceived in general. We all know that pretty much anyone who comes and pays money to watch our team will be welcomed with open arms. Okay, so a few people seem to complain when we have trips like Wembley and suddenly we have more fans, but that's out of frustration that they don't turn up every week.

I dont get to many games, I work away from home a lot and often at short notice, I was all ready for tomorrows game but I wont be able to make it now as a job has come up. I'm gutted to miss the season finale but frankly I need the money. Whenever I do get to games I try not to come alone. I give people the hard sell and try to bring people with me, premiere league fans, people who've never been to a match of any kind before, whoever. So over the years I've introduced quite a lot of people to our club and in some cases to live football in general.

What is always striking is that when I'm talking people into coming often they and anyone else within earshot who aren't a regulars at matches start asking 'Will it be safe?' 'Wont there be any trouble?' 'Isn't it full of racists?' etc etc etc. That's still how a lot of people who don't go to football perceive it. It's not my experience and I tell them so, but that's the stereotype. I think it is a same that a broader mix of people don't come to the Dale, most people in the crowd are exactly like me, male, white and from Rochdale.

I don't know what the answer to this is but there are a hell of a lot of people who don't fit that description and like football but they still feel uncomfortable about the idea of coming to games.
Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 19:36 - Apr 26 with 3883 viewsmodelboydave

Maybe a way to get the minorities of the town more interested............... on 13:31 - Apr 26 by pioneer

"The fact WE are on the 4th generation of Asians and THEY have not tells you all you need to know." (Emphasis added)

If you think 'integration' is a one way process I think it is never likely to happen. Perhaps try to understand how countries with a much greater success of integration (Canada, Australia) have achieved that might help.

Pioneer - i take your point however it only emphasises that most people do see it as 'us' and 'them'.

As someone who dated an asian girl for 3 years i could write a book on it trust me, from both sides of the spectrum.

and as for the Australians and intergration, i dont think they are the best role model. They have lots of problems with the native population and how they were treated and recently sent out navy gun ships to stop boat people arrivng ashore!

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024