Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
latics 11:49 - Jul 18 with 2351 viewselectricblue

Just been reading about Oldham supporters trust paying towards the wages of a player for the season...
Sorry but i find that totally unacceptable..
In my eyes the trust is there to help a club not to contibute to a players wages.....

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

latics on 11:59 - Jul 18 with 2328 viewsAtThePeake

Is contributing to a players wages not helping the club?

Exeter do a similar thing every year, pay the wages of one player. Think it's the striker, Chamberlain at the minute.

Tangled up in blue.

latics on 12:21 - Jul 18 with 2262 viewsbrady

I agree with electricblue, the trust should be there to support the long term future, not the short term, where has all the money gone from their great cup run. and the lad they sold.
latics on 12:25 - Jul 18 with 2252 viewslurker

The trust is there to serve the interests of its members, so if they voted for this (which I imagine would have happened) then there is no issue.

Just my opinion, but if there were an option to do something like this with trust funds I would personally be far more likely to become a member and pay the £10 fee than if the only option was to sit on the money while waiting for pitch covers and training facilities to be tendered
latics on 12:47 - Jul 18 with 2186 viewsrafcjosh

It's an initiative called 'player share' (I think). It's something they've done before with Kuqi & it's something I personally think we should look into.
latics on 12:58 - Jul 18 with 2151 viewsjudd

latics on 12:47 - Jul 18 by rafcjosh

It's an initiative called 'player share' (I think). It's something they've done before with Kuqi & it's something I personally think we should look into.

We shouldn't be paying Oldham's wages - no way.

Poll: What is it to be then?

latics on 13:16 - Jul 18 with 2123 viewsfermin

Exeter are run by their trust so it is not that surprising. Wimbledon, another trust run club, also do something similar:

http://www.wearewimbledonfund.com/

Oxford are not run by their trust but they also have a supporters' fund used for players:

http://ox12thman.org.uk/

I expect there are others as well.

Whether we could generate enough funds to do something similar is open to debate.
latics on 13:39 - Jul 18 with 2071 viewsSaxonDale

Would be an awful idea for a club like ours.
1) Player could get injured
2) Player could be sh!t
3) Possibility of increased pressure from stand towards said player- Wanting a performance
4) Could be increased pressure on manager to play said player- Not that I believe Hilly would let this happen
5) If we contribute x amount of wages towards a player and we finish 9th in two consecutive seasons and then said player leaves on a free then two years down the line we have nothing to show for our investment. At least with a training base/ covers any investment will be a reliable,long term investment.
latics on 13:43 - Jul 18 with 2061 views49thseason

latics on 13:39 - Jul 18 by SaxonDale

2) Player could be sh!t
3) Possibility of increased pressure from stand towards said player- Wanting a performance
4) Could be increased pressure on manager to play said player- Not that I believe Hilly would let this happen
5) If we contribute x amount of wages towards a player and we finish 9th in two consecutive seasons and then said player leaves on a free then two years down the line we have nothing to show for our investment. At least with a training base/ covers any investment will be a reliable,long term investment.

But what if the Trust "sponsored" a young player in return for a % back to the trust of any future transfer fee plus a return of investment in said player to date?
Login to get fewer ads

latics on 13:49 - Jul 18 with 2044 viewsColDale

When we launched the Trust 10 years ago, we suggested this sort of scheme, but the board (at the time) pretty much outlined every reason that SaxonDale pointed out above.
latics on 14:32 - Jul 18 with 1976 viewsChaffRAFC

latics on 13:39 - Jul 18 by SaxonDale

2) Player could be sh!t

This!

If I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor

latics on 00:30 - Jul 19 with 1746 viewsblakeyj

Could you simply not name the player that you pay for
latics on 06:27 - Jul 19 with 1714 viewsaleanddale

Its a non starter for me.

for easy maths lets say the player earns £1000 a week.

£52 000 per annum I assume the trust has nothing like this amount floating around.
latics on 07:08 - Jul 19 with 1691 viewsColDale

latics on 06:27 - Jul 19 by aleanddale

Its a non starter for me.

for easy maths lets say the player earns £1000 a week.

£52 000 per annum I assume the trust has nothing like this amount floating around.

I think the way these sometimes work is on top of ordinary Trust funds. What would happen would be a number of supporters would agree to contribute a set amount each week which would then be additional to the playing budget. I think there is a time and a place for this sort of thing - perhaps if we were approaching the end of the January transfer window, and we needed to keep pace with our promotion rivals but unable to do so without going over the budget. Something short term in those circumstances could work I think. But to be done before the start of the season and simply subsidising the season's budget would be the wrong way to do things I reckon.
latics on 07:20 - Jul 19 with 1675 viewsG_Dale

Sod giving my money each week to a scheme that pays a footballers wages. I already spend lots of money on my season ticket, away games, travel to games, trust membership. I 100% guarantee I won't put a penny directly towards a players wage

Poll: Dale player. Do you use it?

latics on 08:22 - Jul 19 with 1638 viewsBigKindo

Could you imagine the reaction if this scheme had been in place last season and Coleman and Bell brought in another of their cronies past their sell by date?
latics on 10:21 - Jul 19 with 1591 viewsD_Alien

A compromise solution might be reached if a player was on a bonus-per-goal type of deal, especially where he might've been signed up without a proven record at the level we're at (e.g. someone like Bunney)

The bonus could be sponsored by the Trust (or whoever) whilst the club pays a lower basic

No goals = no bonus = no cost

Goals = happy fans & player

No downside as far as I can see

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

latics on 10:35 - Jul 19 with 1571 viewsjudd

latics on 10:21 - Jul 19 by D_Alien

A compromise solution might be reached if a player was on a bonus-per-goal type of deal, especially where he might've been signed up without a proven record at the level we're at (e.g. someone like Bunney)

The bonus could be sponsored by the Trust (or whoever) whilst the club pays a lower basic

No goals = no bonus = no cost

Goals = happy fans & player

No downside as far as I can see

Player becomes too selfish and wastes opportunities for the team in trying to earn his own personal bonus.

Anyway, we know the Trust has no money - didn't an erstwhile poster tell us how they were all lining their own pockets with cars and holidays?

Poll: What is it to be then?

latics on 11:00 - Jul 19 with 1547 viewsD_Alien

latics on 10:35 - Jul 19 by judd

Player becomes too selfish and wastes opportunities for the team in trying to earn his own personal bonus.

Anyway, we know the Trust has no money - didn't an erstwhile poster tell us how they were all lining their own pockets with cars and holidays?

How about a "loaded" bonus for goals where points are secured?

And how big would someone's pockets have to be to fit a car into them? Let alone a holiday? Would you go on holiday in someone's pocket?

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024