Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Indy article on stadium plans 08:45 - Dec 16 with 7210 viewssexton

Sam Wallace: QPR's new stadium plans throw the spotlight on to Chelsea's dilemma at Stamford Bridge, where there is no obvious solution

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/sam-wallace-qprs-ne

Indy article on stadium plans on 16:02 - Dec 16 with 1323 viewsderbyhoop

Indy article on stadium plans on 15:48 - Dec 16 by Juzzie

"From a PURE revenue view, 27,000 at £30 brings in more than 40,000 at £20."

Sadly this was exactly's Briatore's attitude. Put the prices as high as possible knowing the hard-core will still go and 14,000 at that price will bring in more money than 18,300 at lower prices.

I think he missed the 'bums on seats' principle in that by offering lower ticket prices and getting people in to the ground, more money will likely be spent on programmes, food & drink, merchandising etc.

I think it's paramount the club adopts this approach. Also, people are already wondering about pubs. Well, make there plentiful facilites either in the ground itself or on the site around the ground (ensuring income goes to the club rather than any landlords/breweries) and that's more revenue.

[Post edited 16 Dec 2013 16:09]

Agreed it is a Briatore type attitude to just focus on the one off revenues. But we won't be selling PL tickets at the £10-20 that Holloway was suggesting. Nor will we be charging Arsenal or Chelsea prices. What we have to do is set the pricing at the lower level of expectations. It's an area TF is very familiar with, as seen by the growth of Air Asia and, more relevantly to us, with the pricing of this years STs and match day tickets.

If we're priced at £25-£30, while Chelsea are £42 where are the neutrals going to go? And keep it going for a few years, assuming continued PL membership, to watch attendances rising.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

Indy article on stadium plans on 16:07 - Dec 16 with 1311 viewsSpiritofGregory

Indy article on stadium plans on 11:57 - Dec 16 by nadera78

We averaged less than 15k home fans last season, assuming away support remains at 3k moving to 40k means 37k home fans. That's 2.5 times our current home fans. That's not going to happen, or anywhere near it. The only alternative is to fill it with away fans - can't wait for home games with 15,000 people from Surrey wearing red shirts.

We would of had more fans had we bothered to win more games. Also any new potential fans wouldn't of wanted to pay £30+ a ticket to watch a pathetic team in a run down stadium next to the White City Estate.
Indy article on stadium plans on 16:20 - Dec 16 with 1287 viewsnadera78

Indy article on stadium plans on 16:07 - Dec 16 by SpiritofGregory

We would of had more fans had we bothered to win more games. Also any new potential fans wouldn't of wanted to pay £30+ a ticket to watch a pathetic team in a run down stadium next to the White City Estate.

The problem I have here is that this is all 'finger in the air' stuff. There is no evidence for any of this, it is all supposition and guesswork. What we do know is that we can get 15k home fans week in/week out. What we do know is that we took 32k to Cardiff, a game that saw many lapsed fans come for a day out. What we do know is that we've had one crowd of 32k in all our years at Loftus Rd, and just one crowd above that figure in the whole 130 years of QPR.

What we should be doing is making plans based on what we know, not what we think might be achievable if this, that and the other come to fruition. That's why I'll continue to call for a maximum of 30k at the new stadium.
Indy article on stadium plans on 16:38 - Dec 16 with 1276 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Indy article on stadium plans on 16:20 - Dec 16 by nadera78

The problem I have here is that this is all 'finger in the air' stuff. There is no evidence for any of this, it is all supposition and guesswork. What we do know is that we can get 15k home fans week in/week out. What we do know is that we took 32k to Cardiff, a game that saw many lapsed fans come for a day out. What we do know is that we've had one crowd of 32k in all our years at Loftus Rd, and just one crowd above that figure in the whole 130 years of QPR.

What we should be doing is making plans based on what we know, not what we think might be achievable if this, that and the other come to fruition. That's why I'll continue to call for a maximum of 30k at the new stadium.

It needs to be sustainable going forward. 30,000 capacity seems short sighted and I'd be amazed if they went for that.
Indy article on stadium plans on 18:13 - Dec 16 with 1231 viewsSpiritofGregory

Indy article on stadium plans on 16:20 - Dec 16 by nadera78

Unfortunately we fell into the abyss when football became fashionable and lost lots of potential support to other clubs. We have to attract new fans. Lets face it most on this board starting to support Rangers during the Marsh, Bowles, Ferdinand eras when the club was doing well why should kids nowadays think any different.

For all the memories that Loftus Rd brings, I am looking forward to a state of the art stadium. It doesn't bother me that it's 40k. With success on the pitch and initiatives with schools within a 5 mile radius our support will grow. I remember when Chelsea struggled to fill Stamford Bridge. I have a friend who supports Arsenal and he remembers a time when there were always spare tickets at Highbury now they have a 60k stadium.

I support the 40k stadium. There will be 20k new homes in the area, shops, hotels etc that a lot of potential fans.
Indy article on stadium plans on 21:49 - Dec 16 with 1176 viewsCiderwithRsie

Indy article on stadium plans on 18:13 - Dec 16 by SpiritofGregory

Unfortunately we fell into the abyss when football became fashionable and lost lots of potential support to other clubs. We have to attract new fans. Lets face it most on this board starting to support Rangers during the Marsh, Bowles, Ferdinand eras when the club was doing well why should kids nowadays think any different.

For all the memories that Loftus Rd brings, I am looking forward to a state of the art stadium. It doesn't bother me that it's 40k. With success on the pitch and initiatives with schools within a 5 mile radius our support will grow. I remember when Chelsea struggled to fill Stamford Bridge. I have a friend who supports Arsenal and he remembers a time when there were always spare tickets at Highbury now they have a 60k stadium.

I support the 40k stadium. There will be 20k new homes in the area, shops, hotels etc that a lot of potential fans.

Don't always agree with you SoG but all of that is true.
Indy article on stadium plans on 23:27 - Dec 16 with 1106 viewskensalriser

Assuming PL status we'd easily get 25k in a new stadium. To have only 5k room for growth after that makes no sense.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Indy article on stadium plans on 23:33 - Dec 16 with 1102 viewsextratimeR

Very good article from Sam Wallace.
Login to get fewer ads

Indy article on stadium plans on 01:34 - Dec 17 with 1056 viewsTrom

I love being an Rs fan but the hope has always been one day we could compete. We could when I started following as a kid and then over the last 20 years we fell by the side. But the ambition was always there. If we say we don't want to progress as a club then that ambition dies. I've always been able to accept the division we were in but to throw away our ambition to better ourselves would destroy why I support the club. Through thick and thin but always an adventure. It's better to aim for the top than not to try - what would be the point of supporting them without that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024