Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Was Calvin Eligible? 20:10 - Dec 10 with 5950 viewsSandyDrum

I know this has been done to death, but the rumours (as expected) are starting to circulate on twitter that he wasn't eligible for today's match.

I seriously think he need something from the club or the FA just to 100% put it to bed that he was okay to play today.

Wish I'd chosen a different username...

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:14 - Dec 10 with 3263 viewsNinco

What so you think the referee doesn't bother checking if anyone is banned?
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:15 - Dec 10 with 3248 viewsmoth5368

I think that if he's not eligible the FA will be in contact quickly enough. I don't see the need for a statement.
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:16 - Dec 10 with 3236 viewsSandyDrum

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:14 - Dec 10 by Ninco

What a stupid response...

It's happened many times before that teams have fielded ineligible players, Bury fans will know that first hand.

My point is, rumours are growing on twitter and until confirmed it could create bad press for the club.

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:16 - Dec 10 with 3234 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:14 - Dec 10 by Ninco

I don't think it's the Ref's job.......he just looks at studs?
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:16 - Dec 10 with 3229 viewsdalenumber2

I would be very surprised if the club hadn't had this double checked. It's not as if we really needed him to play today (although it was a nice bonus of course)
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:16 - Dec 10 with 3222 viewsSandyDrum

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:15 - Dec 10 by moth5368

I think that if he's not eligible the FA will be in contact quickly enough. I don't see the need for a statement.

Maybe not a statement as such, just something to put the rumours to bed.

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:20 - Dec 10 with 3177 viewsBendy

On the FA website where it shows suspended players Calvin disappeared off there after the game on Tuesday.

That means the FA are happy that the ban is complete and he is free to play, else it would still have been on there.
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:21 - Dec 10 with 3157 viewsKenBoon

http://www.efl.com/news/article/2016/checkatrade-trophy-new-disciplinary-rules-i

This isn't very clear. It says that the FLT is a standalone competition and suspensions from it don't count in competitions outside of it, however it doesn't mention suspensions from other competitions.

I suspect/hope that the 9 game suspension by the FA was for our next 9 first team competitive games, which would include the FLT games. I do hope this has been checked and tripled checked with a response in writing too.
Login to get fewer ads

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:21 - Dec 10 with 3152 views442Dale

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:16 - Dec 10 by SandyDrum

Maybe not a statement as such, just something to put the rumours to bed.

The club saw fit to tell us the ban had been reduced to nine games and that there would be no further comment. How hard it would have been back then to clarify which competitions the ban applied to is now not worth debating, because they didn't feel supporters needed to be aware. By not doing so will inevitably lead to situations like this.

We can only hope all parties learn lessons from the situation.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:22 - Dec 10 with 3149 viewsSandyDrum

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:20 - Dec 10 by Bendy

On the FA website where it shows suspended players Calvin disappeared off there after the game on Tuesday.

That means the FA are happy that the ban is complete and he is free to play, else it would still have been on there.

Excellent!

Okay well that puts this thread to bed I guess.
Sorry I'm out of the country with minimal internet connection so if I missed anyone post the above before I apologise!

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:24 - Dec 10 with 3129 viewsfitzochris

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:21 - Dec 10 by 442Dale

The club saw fit to tell us the ban had been reduced to nine games and that there would be no further comment. How hard it would have been back then to clarify which competitions the ban applied to is now not worth debating, because they didn't feel supporters needed to be aware. By not doing so will inevitably lead to situations like this.

We can only hope all parties learn lessons from the situation.

Precisely.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:25 - Dec 10 with 3121 viewsNinco

No, it isn't a stupid response as I have shadowed a referee for several weeks, and they do actually get sent information like that.
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:28 - Dec 10 with 3072 viewsNinco

Matches missed...

Maidstone A
Hartlepool A
Bradford A
Maidstone H
Swindon H
Walsall H
Gillingham A
Carlisle A
Chesterfield H

That's NINE games. Where's the problem???
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:31 - Dec 10 with 3029 viewsBendy

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:25 - Dec 10 by Ninco

No, it isn't a stupid response as I have shadowed a referee for several weeks, and they do actually get sent information like that.

I agree - it isn't a stupid response. However, the referee ultimately has no power to prevent a player from playing. He can notify the team beforehand that he thinks there is an issue (but it isn't his responsibility). And he can report it to the powers that be afterwards, but he cannot actually stop a player from taking part as it is outside of his scope in the Laws of the game
Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:36 - Dec 10 with 2978 viewsfitzochris

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:31 - Dec 10 by Bendy

I agree - it isn't a stupid response. However, the referee ultimately has no power to prevent a player from playing. He can notify the team beforehand that he thinks there is an issue (but it isn't his responsibility). And he can report it to the powers that be afterwards, but he cannot actually stop a player from taking part as it is outside of his scope in the Laws of the game

As far as I can tell, the dubiety is around whether or not EFL Trophy games counted towards the ban. As 442 says, a word from the club would've put that matter to rest.

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:41 - Dec 10 with 2911 viewsToffeemanc

Rumours on twitter probably started by sore losers from C#^*sthorpe after seeing their team outclassed.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Was Calvin Eligible? on 21:50 - Dec 10 with 2692 viewsDaley_Lama

Suspensions picked up in League games do not count towards Checkatrade (Tom Soares 5 Yellows example)

Suspensions picked un in Chekatrade games do not count towards League games (Jim McNulty example)

Calvin's was different. He was suspended off the field, so one can take it that he was suspended from "all football games" hence the confusion.

Poll: DF in or out

Was Calvin Eligible? on 22:18 - Dec 10 with 2569 viewsmacro

Was Calvin Eligible? on 20:36 - Dec 10 by fitzochris

As far as I can tell, the dubiety is around whether or not EFL Trophy games counted towards the ban. As 442 says, a word from the club would've put that matter to rest.

Keith said after the Chesterfield game he was eligible. He’ll know,
Was Calvin Eligible? on 22:45 - Dec 10 with 2441 viewsdale1968

Just to clarify these notes are from his hearing before appeal.
28. Having considered all of the above mentioned factors the Commission decided that the following sanction was appropriate and proportionate:
a. The Player is suspended from all domestic club football until such time that Rochdale FC has completed Twelve (12) first team competitive matches in approved competitions;
b. Three (3) of these games relate to the standard punishment for the accepted Violent Conduct Charge;
c. The remaining nine (9) games relate to the Misconduct Charge and the Commission Members unanimous views that the offence is in the truly exceptional category;
d. Such suspension is to commence immediately

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:12 - Dec 10 with 2362 viewsfitzochris

Was Calvin Eligible? on 22:18 - Dec 10 by macro

Keith said after the Chesterfield game he was eligible. He’ll know,

Yes, he did say that. You'd like to think he'd know. He'd have been told by somebody.

But could anyone on here, being 100% honest and not privy to the same information as the manager, say they were confident Calvin was eligible to play?

I know I couldn't unless I heard official confirmation. There was doubt around the FA website listing late December as a return date, for one thing.

As I say, a bit of further comment at the time of the announcement of the reduction of the ban, clarifying what games counted etc, wouldn't have gone amiss.

It was a point worth raising by 442, in my opinion.

Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:23 - Dec 10 with 2320 viewsmacro

I think the exact opposite. The club obviously had the facts, they knew Calvin was eligible and probably didn't want a media circus highlighting the ban was over. Sometimes keeping quiet is best.
Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:24 - Dec 10 with 2314 viewsfitzochris

Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:23 - Dec 10 by macro

I think the exact opposite. The club obviously had the facts, they knew Calvin was eligible and probably didn't want a media circus highlighting the ban was over. Sometimes keeping quiet is best.

For who?

Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:40 - Dec 10 with 2259 viewsmacro

Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:24 - Dec 10 by fitzochris

For who?

The club. Which is at the end of the day the most important part of this. They don't need to advertise every fact. It was a bad incident which doesn't need re-advertising. On this occasion well done to the powers that be for not stating everything.
Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:42 - Dec 10 with 2249 viewsfitzochris

Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:40 - Dec 10 by macro

The club. Which is at the end of the day the most important part of this. They don't need to advertise every fact. It was a bad incident which doesn't need re-advertising. On this occasion well done to the powers that be for not stating everything.

Well, there I disagree with you. No more to add, really.

Was Calvin Eligible? on 23:48 - Dec 10 with 2223 viewsDaley_Lama

I'm with macro but get where you are coming from chris.

macro: Rafc dont need to talk about something we dont want to talk about
chris: Rafc should talk about it to stop tongues wagging/people wondering

Poll: DF in or out

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024