Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best world 11 in your lifetime 07:54 - Apr 18 with 2238 viewsJames1980

Just seen this tweet thought it would be an interesting discussion
[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 7:59]

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 17:56 - Apr 18 with 1628 viewsmingthemerciless

Sorry I didn't read the selection criteria carefully enough - back to the drawing board !

Right, in a 4-2-1-3 formation

Schmiecal

McGrain
Maldini
Moore
Lizazaru

DeBruyne
Modric

Pele

Salah
Van Basten
Maradona

[Post edited 18 Apr 2020 18:26]
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 19:57 - Apr 18 with 1569 viewsDale92

Oblak
Lahm Kompany Koulibaly Maldini
Kante Gerrard
Messi Okocha Ronaldo
Adriano
Struggled for a few positions, a very hard challenge

This is the One, I've waited for

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 21:08 - Apr 18 with 1535 viewspioneer

Harker, Smith, Ryder, Leech, Parry, Ashworth, Whitehaed, Rudd, Buch, Jenkins, Butler, Sub Melledew
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 21:15 - Apr 18 with 1524 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 21:08 - Apr 18 by pioneer

Harker, Smith, Ryder, Leech, Parry, Ashworth, Whitehaed, Rudd, Buch, Jenkins, Butler, Sub Melledew

They played some of the best football I've seen a Spotland without a doubt. On their day they were a joy to watch.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 22:50 - Apr 18 with 1483 viewsboromat

Got asked to do this this other day really difficult. No same country or club.

It got quite addictive this is what I came up with.

Rui Patricio

Lauren
T.Silva
Matthaus

De Bruyne
Zidane
Gascoigne
Giggs

Messi
Totti
Mane

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 07:57 - Apr 19 with 1426 viewstodmordendale

Banks
Wilson
Moore
Charlton
Cohen
Ball
Stiles
Charlton
Peters
Burst
Hunt
Not a bad team. Not sure how many were the best players but for teamwork, one of the best.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 09:05 - Apr 19 with 1409 viewsboromat

Think people are missing the challenge.

Each player has to be a different nationality and none of the players can have represented the same club. It's really quite hard 😂.

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 09:14 - Apr 19 with 1403 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 22:50 - Apr 18 by boromat

Got asked to do this this other day really difficult. No same country or club.

It got quite addictive this is what I came up with.

Rui Patricio

Lauren
T.Silva
Matthaus

De Bruyne
Zidane
Gascoigne
Giggs

Messi
Totti
Mane

Cheating a bit there with Matthaus at left back.
Login to get fewer ads

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 10:11 - Apr 19 with 1372 viewsboromat

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 09:14 - Apr 19 by mingthemerciless

Maybe I should try again 🙈

Although in my lifetime I remember him more as a central defender/sweeper which is what I've got here. The biggest 'cheat' for me would be Lauren as he's a right back and I've got him filling in at centre back.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:16]

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 11:26 - Apr 19 with 1339 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 10:11 - Apr 19 by boromat

Maybe I should try again 🙈

Although in my lifetime I remember him more as a central defender/sweeper which is what I've got here. The biggest 'cheat' for me would be Lauren as he's a right back and I've got him filling in at centre back.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 10:16]

Well there are plenty of real German left backs to chose from.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 11:45 - Apr 19 with 1328 viewsfinberty

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 09:14 - Apr 19 by mingthemerciless

True.

He was no Dave Grant.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 13:54 - Apr 19 with 1283 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 11:45 - Apr 19 by finberty

True.

He was no Dave Grant.

Or Laurie Calloway.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 17:35 - Apr 19 with 1252 viewskiwidale

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 21:08 - Apr 18 by pioneer

Apologies to the OP. I'm tempted to mess around with the first promotion side but that would be akin to heresy. Could it be improved, maybe as an all time 11/12 it could but what a team it was deserving of the title best we had until modern times. Here are a few players 1960 to mid 70's who might have forced their way in but as a team that took the field together the promotion team was the best

pre 1970
Ted Burgin, Stan Milburn. Laurie Calloway, Iimmy Thompson, Colin Whittaker, George Morton,
post 1970
Dave Cross Alan Taylor, Bobby Downes.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 17:38]

This is not the time for bickering.

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 19:41 - Apr 19 with 1216 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 17:35 - Apr 19 by kiwidale

Apologies to the OP. I'm tempted to mess around with the first promotion side but that would be akin to heresy. Could it be improved, maybe as an all time 11/12 it could but what a team it was deserving of the title best we had until modern times. Here are a few players 1960 to mid 70's who might have forced their way in but as a team that took the field together the promotion team was the best

pre 1970
Ted Burgin, Stan Milburn. Laurie Calloway, Iimmy Thompson, Colin Whittaker, George Morton,
post 1970
Dave Cross Alan Taylor, Bobby Downes.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 17:38]

Ray Aspden was a good stopper around that time and although Graham Cunliffe only played that one season you could tell he was a real class act. He'd been playing in the old First Division not long before he came to Spotland.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 23:23 - Apr 19 with 1163 viewskiwidale

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 19:41 - Apr 19 by mingthemerciless

Ray Aspden was a good stopper around that time and although Graham Cunliffe only played that one season you could tell he was a real class act. He'd been playing in the old First Division not long before he came to Spotland.

Some of the players I mentioned was because they were fans favorites in often poor teams so sentiment played a part however I honestly think Bobby Downes could have improved that side I remember the first time I saw him I thought what a player, he was class.

edit having looked at his wikipedia page its got him down as a left back/left winger yet I remember him as a left wing back.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 23:31]

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 08:49 - Apr 20 with 1108 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 23:23 - Apr 19 by kiwidale

Some of the players I mentioned was because they were fans favorites in often poor teams so sentiment played a part however I honestly think Bobby Downes could have improved that side I remember the first time I saw him I thought what a player, he was class.

edit having looked at his wikipedia page its got him down as a left back/left winger yet I remember him as a left wing back.
[Post edited 19 Apr 2020 23:31]

The first time Bobby Downes caught my eye was in a home game against Rotherham. I think we won 4-2 that night and he played in the right hand/central midfield role. I also think he scored two good goals that night. He suffered from being a versatile player who was moved around quite a bit.

He a very long career playing and coaching at various clubs.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 10:48 - Apr 20 with 1078 viewsEllDale

I agree 100% about that Rotherham game and Bobby Downes.

Would Brian Birch and/or George Morton caught that promotion team? Or been better as squad men instead of Hughen Riley?

Both were favourites of mine as a lad.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 13:10 - Apr 20 with 1038 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 10:48 - Apr 20 by EllDale

I agree 100% about that Rotherham game and Bobby Downes.

Would Brian Birch and/or George Morton caught that promotion team? Or been better as squad men instead of Hughen Riley?

Both were favourites of mine as a lad.

Brian Birch or Norman Whitehead ? Norman for me. I liked George Morton a lot but would he take the place of Billy Rudd ? He scored more goals than Billy but Billy, along with Vinny Leach, made us tick.

It'd be hard to improve on that first promotion team, they were a great blend of skill and experience. I though Stan Milburn was a great servant to the club, but what did Graham Smith ever do wrong ? He was Mr Consistency.

Laurie Calloway was a big favourite of mine. He was one of the first modern full backs that could attack and defend but, again, what did Derek Ryder ever do wrong. Another very consistent player.

I think David Cross on the form he showed just before he left would get in and Alan Taylor, again on the form he showed before he left, would get a game. Cross and Taylor up front would have been too much for most teams playing even at a level above.

Going back to the Rotherham game for those who are interested - It was on 8/9/69 and it was played in front of a gate of 6,749.

Harker

Smith ,Parry,Ashworth,Ryder

Whitehead,Downes, Rudd,Butler

Buck and Jenkins.

Scorers Downes 2, Buck, Jenkins (pen )

An interesting point in these days of resting players is that the Rotherham game was down as game 8 and apart from Tony Buck every other player had played in every game.

If my memory serves me well Dave Watson who later had a big move to Man City and played many times for England later was Rotherham's centre half that night.
[Post edited 20 Apr 2020 13:24]
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 02:45 - Apr 21 with 933 viewskiwidale

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 08:49 - Apr 20 by mingthemerciless

The first time Bobby Downes caught my eye was in a home game against Rotherham. I think we won 4-2 that night and he played in the right hand/central midfield role. I also think he scored two good goals that night. He suffered from being a versatile player who was moved around quite a bit.

He a very long career playing and coaching at various clubs.

The Rotherham evening game was the first game that I saw Downes play he scored two goals from the edge of the box bursting through from midfield for him to make such a favorable impression was no mean feat in a side not lacking in talent, does anybody know who Downes replaced I know Leach had retired at the end of the promotion season, did he start the season as first choice?
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 2:46]

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 04:23 - Apr 21 with 918 viewspioneer

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 02:45 - Apr 21 by kiwidale

The Rotherham evening game was the first game that I saw Downes play he scored two goals from the edge of the box bursting through from midfield for him to make such a favorable impression was no mean feat in a side not lacking in talent, does anybody know who Downes replaced I know Leach had retired at the end of the promotion season, did he start the season as first choice?
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 2:46]

Vinny Leech didnt retire until later after struggling with a long term injury.

He was injured at the start of the 1969-70 season and Bobby Downes played in his place for the first 10 games. He returned to the team two games after the Rotherham game and played every game until December 1969 when he was injured in a game t’other side of Heywood, on his birthday, against his former team, and never appeared again. He was on the official team photo at start of 1970-71 season but retired I think around Feb 71.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 08:53 - Apr 21 with 888 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 04:23 - Apr 21 by pioneer

Vinny Leech didnt retire until later after struggling with a long term injury.

He was injured at the start of the 1969-70 season and Bobby Downes played in his place for the first 10 games. He returned to the team two games after the Rotherham game and played every game until December 1969 when he was injured in a game t’other side of Heywood, on his birthday, against his former team, and never appeared again. He was on the official team photo at start of 1970-71 season but retired I think around Feb 71.

Vinnie had two brothers that played amateur football in the district. John and George. John was a very good playmaker in the style of Billy Rudd.

Regarding Vinnie's injury I heard at the time that it was treatable with surgery but the club was loathe to pay for the treatment.
[Post edited 21 Apr 2020 8:57]
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 13:16 - Apr 21 with 815 viewskrafty80

My attempt within the rules...

4-3-3
Illgner;

Lauren, Aldair, Kompany, Lizarazu;

Scholes, Souness, Xavi;

Baggio, Drogba, Cavani
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 16:02 - Apr 21 with 773 viewsEllDale

If that's true about Vinny it was scandalous.
His worth to the team was illustrated by the way in which form plummeted once he was absent.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 18:10 - Apr 21 with 737 viewsmingthemerciless

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 16:02 - Apr 21 by EllDale

His worth to the team was illustrated by the way in which form plummeted once he was absent.

I think his age had a bearing on the decision not to go ahead with treatment.
Best world 11 in your lifetime on 20:34 - Apr 21 with 702 viewspioneer

Best world 11 in your lifetime on 16:02 - Apr 21 by EllDale

I think thats a bit slanted....our form at the start of the season when he was missing was excellent and this continued after his return and we were top of the league in November. I am not suggesting he wasn’t missed but we had already started to drop points while he was in the team.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024