Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane 21:57 - Oct 16 with 5784 viewsGhanaDale

I only vaguely remember what the old away stand looked like because they changed it when I was about 9.
I'm finding it hard to find any photos, don't suppose anybody has any they'd like to post on here?

www.facebook.com/projectaura

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 22:57 - Oct 16 with 5687 viewsTVOS1907

Two here for you Ghana, from the TVOS archives.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 23:51 - Oct 16 with 5639 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Just out of shot (too the right)at the corner of Willbutts/Pearl Street were the famous toilets which allowed the user to watch life over the wall onto Wilbutts Lane when the game got a tad boring....freezing cold in the open air in winter!

Shudder shudder!
Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 00:21 - Oct 17 with 5609 viewsNerazzurri

Here's an aerial photo I found in my collection.

Forza Nerazzurri

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 06:56 - Oct 17 with 5534 viewsDomDale

Love it.

Me and Ghana were talking about this the other day. Im sure I've seen on old videos that show the Wilbutts was a home end and Pearl St for away fans. When did that change and why? Especially as the Wilbutts is now arguably the best stand?

KHBA
Poll: Preferred next Tory Leader / PM

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 07:35 - Oct 17 with 5501 viewsdale1968

Short but sweet..

Poll: Should The Military Assist The Police Over Covid Compliance.

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 07:41 - Oct 17 with 5487 viewsTVOS1907

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 06:56 - Oct 17 by DomDale

Love it.

Me and Ghana were talking about this the other day. Im sure I've seen on old videos that show the Wilbutts was a home end and Pearl St for away fans. When did that change and why? Especially as the Wilbutts is now arguably the best stand?

Can't do YouTube links from here but if you put Rochdale Blackpool into the search bar, you'll find some cracking old videos.

Also, my channel has some other videos from the early 90s. One of them is filmed from opposite Willbutts Lane.

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 07:50 - Oct 17 with 5480 viewsSuddenLad

The old Willbutts Lane Stand ('scratting shed') was always accessible to home fans who preferred to use it.

The TDS (Pearl Street) was the designated 'away end' until the vast ground improvements took place and the new Willbutts stand was built.

In the 1960's the Pearl Street end was used by home fans. It was a small stand with an open stepped terrace. The area underneath the stand roof was covered in cinders and old railway sleepers were used as steps !!

At that time (and until much later) supporters were allowed to 'change ends' at half time and stand behind the goal being attacked by their respective team.

As you might expect, this led to many outbreaks of violence and scraps all over the place as fans confronted each other, many fans deciding to simply charge from one to the other via the pitch. Fans were stopped from doing that, and were restricted to the same terrace for the whole match. The Pearl Street end was then the designated 'away end'.

Since the new Willbutts stand was built it has been exclusively for away fans, (except for the now-abandoned plan put in place last season when home fans were admitted to the Willbutts stand if they chose. )

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 08:49 - Oct 17 with 5428 viewsfermin

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 23:51 - Oct 16 by Yorkshire_Dale

Just out of shot (too the right)at the corner of Willbutts/Pearl Street were the famous toilets which allowed the user to watch life over the wall onto Wilbutts Lane when the game got a tad boring....freezing cold in the open air in winter!

Shudder shudder!

They should be in two of these pictures!

Login to get fewer ads

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 12:27 - Oct 17 with 5220 viewsDorsetDale

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 07:50 - Oct 17 by SuddenLad

The old Willbutts Lane Stand ('scratting shed') was always accessible to home fans who preferred to use it.

The TDS (Pearl Street) was the designated 'away end' until the vast ground improvements took place and the new Willbutts stand was built.

In the 1960's the Pearl Street end was used by home fans. It was a small stand with an open stepped terrace. The area underneath the stand roof was covered in cinders and old railway sleepers were used as steps !!

At that time (and until much later) supporters were allowed to 'change ends' at half time and stand behind the goal being attacked by their respective team.

As you might expect, this led to many outbreaks of violence and scraps all over the place as fans confronted each other, many fans deciding to simply charge from one to the other via the pitch. Fans were stopped from doing that, and were restricted to the same terrace for the whole match. The Pearl Street end was then the designated 'away end'.

Since the new Willbutts stand was built it has been exclusively for away fans, (except for the now-abandoned plan put in place last season when home fans were admitted to the Willbutts stand if they chose. )

Remember all of that. I moved away in 1980 and fans could still change ends so guessing the designated home and away ends were enforced early to mid '80's.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 06:54 - Oct 18 with 4971 viewsaleanddale

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 22:57 - Oct 16 by TVOS1907

fond memories but my god havnt we come a long way!!

Just cant remember when Brunei FC were in the 4th division!! They must have had some playing budget anyway!!
Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 14:30 - Oct 18 with 4853 viewsoslodave

Willbutts was home when I started going around '84, as that was where I stood. Pearl Street was away until they knocked it down (which wouldn't have taken much...) & they moved away fans into half the Wilbutts, I think (?)
Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 15:03 - Oct 18 with 4811 views442Dale

In addition to some of the above...
Pearl St was closed in 1995 and at that point the Willbutts became the away end/side... sometimes! From memory, there were barriers used to create a small no-mans land between them and the Sandy. Cardiff were the first to use it on the first day of 95-96 and it was full. However, away fans would often be put in the end of the Main Stand near the police box that season. 

Prior to that the Willbutts, on occasion, would be given to the likes of Burnley and Preston. Too contradict completely,  before the Preston home game in January '94 work was needed on crush barriers in the Sandy and Willbutts which meant Dale fans had the Pearl St when we played Torquay at home - they were in the seats. 

So for a few years  until construction began on the new Willbutts in 2000, away fans stood on that side, including 2.35 million travelling Rotherham supporters. When the work was being completed, the away area was back in the Main Stand. 

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 15:27 - Oct 18 with 4771 viewsColDale

I must be getting old. I still think of the Pearl Street Stand as being new
Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 15:30 - Oct 18 with 4762 views442Dale

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 15:27 - Oct 18 by ColDale

I must be getting old. I still think of the Pearl Street Stand as being new

It's 16 years old this month. Main Stand is 21 at Christmas.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 18:08 - Oct 18 with 4677 viewsnumber30

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 22:57 - Oct 16 by TVOS1907

what I used to like about the old Wilbutts stand was the supporting girder nearest the Peart Street end was actually set into a lump of concrete that had been formed using an old dustbin (just about visible in the 1st photo).
Had many a wander from 1 end to the other depending on which end we were attacking, with no fences to stop you. How H&S has changed how we watch.
Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 20:44 - Oct 18 with 4607 viewsTVOS1907

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 06:54 - Oct 18 by aleanddale

fond memories but my god havnt we come a long way!!

Just cant remember when Brunei FC were in the 4th division!! They must have had some playing budget anyway!!

That flag is a bit misleading.

The photos were actually sent to me by a Gillingham fan.

The first one is from Dale's 2-0 win over Gillingham in March 1996 when they tried to kick us off the park, but it didn't work. Tony Pulis was their manager that day. .

The second is from their 3-1 win at Spotland in March 1991 when they had the legendary Harvey Lim in goal.
[Post edited 18 Oct 2013 21:31]

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 21:20 - Oct 18 with 4583 viewsSalwaDale

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 15:03 - Oct 18 by 442Dale

In addition to some of the above...
Pearl St was closed in 1995 and at that point the Willbutts became the away end/side... sometimes! From memory, there were barriers used to create a small no-mans land between them and the Sandy. Cardiff were the first to use it on the first day of 95-96 and it was full. However, away fans would often be put in the end of the Main Stand near the police box that season. 

Prior to that the Willbutts, on occasion, would be given to the likes of Burnley and Preston. Too contradict completely,  before the Preston home game in January '94 work was needed on crush barriers in the Sandy and Willbutts which meant Dale fans had the Pearl St when we played Torquay at home - they were in the seats. 

So for a few years  until construction began on the new Willbutts in 2000, away fans stood on that side, including 2.35 million travelling Rotherham supporters. When the work was being completed, the away area was back in the Main Stand. 

Did the police not find a loaded gun in the stand after that Cardiff game?

TBBT

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 21:33 - Oct 18 with 4570 viewsTVOS1907

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 21:20 - Oct 18 by SalwaDale

Did the police not find a loaded gun in the stand after that Cardiff game?

So legend has it.

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 11:41 - Oct 20 with 4433 viewsSandyman

And here's a photo of Gigg Lane in 2016

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 12:23 - Oct 20 with 4393 viewsTVOS1907

Photos of the old Wilbutts Lane on 11:41 - Oct 20 by Sandyman

And here's a photo of Gigg Lane in 2016

Neil Warnock, in today's Football League Paper:

'As a former manager of bury, I have to say I haven't got many happy memories of my time there ... I can sympathise with Kevin. The budget isn't the best. The facilities leave a lot to be desired.'

Oh I don't know. Those houses look as though they will be state-of-the-art to me.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024