Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fleetwood 18:41 - Jun 5 with 1962 viewssandy_dale

£6m training complex
Fleetwood on 18:57 - Jun 5 with 1927 viewsD_Alien

Driving into Fleetwood in April, it was noticeable how much open and unused land there was for miles around. Aside from cost, one of the biggest issues we'd have (we've had) is finding enough space and getting planning permission.

One of the aspects of moving to Barnsley that Hilly raved about at the time was the training facilities. Good luck to them. Soon they'll have no excuse for not succeeding year on year.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Fleetwood on 22:21 - Jun 5 with 1677 viewsKenBoon

Its on or near the old ICI Thornton. It's the ambitious project of a rich man. I think the future of Fleetwood will be very interesting. On paper they are the perfect Local club and do tremendous work in conjunction with Wyre Borough Council. In detail they're heavily subsidised by their owner. Given their lack of paying fans and them being penned in by Blackpool and Preston when it comes to getting new fans, I don't see how they can be weaned off the rich man's bank account and into self sufficiency any time soon.
Fleetwood on 22:37 - Jun 5 with 1642 viewsSalwaDale

Fleetwood on 22:21 - Jun 5 by KenBoon

Its on or near the old ICI Thornton. It's the ambitious project of a rich man. I think the future of Fleetwood will be very interesting. On paper they are the perfect Local club and do tremendous work in conjunction with Wyre Borough Council. In detail they're heavily subsidised by their owner. Given their lack of paying fans and them being penned in by Blackpool and Preston when it comes to getting new fans, I don't see how they can be weaned off the rich man's bank account and into self sufficiency any time soon.

I too am intrigued. If Whelan cut his money from Wigan they would probably survive as a Championship club. Whelan invested in the club more than the players, the Fleetwood fella seems to be doing similar.

TBBT

Fleetwood on 07:08 - Jun 6 with 1529 viewsColDale

success will be their biggest problem.

At the moment, it's been quite easy for him to subsidise a Lge 2 team, and give them the advantage against their peers. The owner knows this cannot last forever, so by all accounts, he's doing everything he can to bring the club into the community and explore different revenue streams. But eventually, he'll reach the stage where he'll either have to stump up silly money or they'll compete at a level they can't afford to.

Can he afford to make Fleetwood competitive at League One level, or beyond that the Championship? His bank accounts aren't a bottomless pit, and the higher they go, the more it will cost him, and as we've seen time after time before, these new clubs with instant success do not retain the supporters once things start going downhill.

Inevitably, they'll reach a stage where the owner is criticised for not putting more money into the club.
Fleetwood on 10:43 - Jun 6 with 1421 viewsDorsetDale

Fleetwood on 07:08 - Jun 6 by ColDale

success will be their biggest problem.

At the moment, it's been quite easy for him to subsidise a Lge 2 team, and give them the advantage against their peers. The owner knows this cannot last forever, so by all accounts, he's doing everything he can to bring the club into the community and explore different revenue streams. But eventually, he'll reach the stage where he'll either have to stump up silly money or they'll compete at a level they can't afford to.

Can he afford to make Fleetwood competitive at League One level, or beyond that the Championship? His bank accounts aren't a bottomless pit, and the higher they go, the more it will cost him, and as we've seen time after time before, these new clubs with instant success do not retain the supporters once things start going downhill.

Inevitably, they'll reach a stage where the owner is criticised for not putting more money into the club.

Add to that a small population with a high number of retirees moving from other parts of the county and beyond, little industry meaning younger people leaving at a substantial rate (all garnered from google), I can't see any long term future above league two!

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

Fleetwood on 14:46 - Jun 6 with 1284 views100notout

He'd be better off spending a couple of mill on the ground to increase the capacity for away fans. As it is they will only be able to accommodate c1500 away fans. In L1 thats just not enough and they are missing out on a lorra lorra money

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

Fleetwood on 19:04 - Jun 6 with 1166 viewsKenBoon

Fleetwood on 10:43 - Jun 6 by DorsetDale

Add to that a small population with a high number of retirees moving from other parts of the county and beyond, little industry meaning younger people leaving at a substantial rate (all garnered from google), I can't see any long term future above league two!

Fleetwood isn't really a retirement spot, those places tend to be just south in Cleveleys or on the South of the Fylde coast. I'd say - without consulting any stats - that families with kids are the biggest demographic there and there is some industry there.

The big issue is the very small catchment area (people not Fish) and getting paying people through the doors. Unless i'm mistaken the club gives free tickets to anyone at the local high school. Those freebies make a huge contribution to their attendance figures.

With us I always feel that there's enough floating football fans who we should be able to attract. With Fleetwood I don't see them. They wouldn't get many from Blackpool and none beyond there.
Fleetwood on 19:54 - Jun 6 with 1136 viewsDorsetDale

Fleetwood on 19:04 - Jun 6 by KenBoon

Fleetwood isn't really a retirement spot, those places tend to be just south in Cleveleys or on the South of the Fylde coast. I'd say - without consulting any stats - that families with kids are the biggest demographic there and there is some industry there.

The big issue is the very small catchment area (people not Fish) and getting paying people through the doors. Unless i'm mistaken the club gives free tickets to anyone at the local high school. Those freebies make a huge contribution to their attendance figures.

With us I always feel that there's enough floating football fans who we should be able to attract. With Fleetwood I don't see them. They wouldn't get many from Blackpool and none beyond there.

You may well be right, never been there Ken so don't know. Was taking figures from last couple census' and a little from the Lancashire yougov which stated the majority of population was over 45.

YOU do not have the right to give someone else permission to tell me what I can and can't do.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024