Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The system? 23:48 - Dec 28 with 1647 viewsbeat_the_bishop

Am I the only person who feels Hill is over complicating things at the minute?

Injuries, suspensions, fatigue, whatever aside... I genuinely believe it's more a case of us getting it wrong rather than the opposition getting it right.

I can't grumble with our away form and our set up. It's worked and will more than likely continue to work. But at home we are getting it wrong. We are playing at home like we are playing an away game. Defensively set up up with counter attack in mind. For me, it's not what I want to see and clearly isn't working.

Today... And many other games we were crying out for some width. We have nothing out wide and it's painful. Our attacks (rare at the minute) can only come through the centre. When we break forward the outlet just isn't there and the the player more often that not the central midfielder is having to slow the play down to allow the wing backs to catch up with play and get forward. I might be the only one here, but it's boring me now.

Hill pushed Raff on in the second half. I don't mind Raff, but his attacking play is non-existent. Which is no fault of his, he is just a RB and RB only. Happy to cross from deep or play a pass inside. But when he gets isolated out wide one on one, he isn't up to it. Why wasn't RNL brought on? He has pace, some skill, a fierce shot and can cross. In short, a winger!
Rewind to our second goal against Notts County. Matty Done crossed the ball mm perfect to Vincenti's head. Classic wing play, standard headed goal. It was easy! We just don't do it enough because our best winger is playing as our only striker. I love Matty Done, and he's scored his fair share this season in a time of need but he is and always will be a winger. He should be the man providing them crosses time after time!

I just don't agree with this 'if we play 4-4-2 in this league we will get tonked' attitude. At home we need to come out and take the game to the opposition. Let them live in fear of getting tonked. Sign a striker, get Done out left, RNL out right and get back to basics. Both have pace, skills and quality. We are crying out for some directness at home. The slow approach play is too easy to defend against at times. Especially when we are losing.

Tanser needs to play left back. If he's fit for the bench he's fit to play. Rose is not the answer and to let Kennedy go and play rose is criminal. He is too busy sweeping his hair back and trying to drill 40 yard balls on the half volley. More often than not smashing seats when they float out of touch. League Two I could stomach him, but for me, he isn't the answer anymore.

And... the loan signings? Aren't they meant to improve us? If they aren't good enough for the first 11 why sign them? I don't get it?

I just want value for money... I'd happily see us get beat 2-0 if we went out today and went for it. Just so happened we get caught on the break and good work from the away team creates a goal. So what. Fleetwood didn't need to work hard today for victory. It's our poor play/mistakes and negativity that is gifting teams the points at home.

Lillis
Bennett - Eastham - O'Connell - Tanser
RNL - Dawson - Allen - Done
Henderson - (new striker)

That's how I would line up at home. Get the ball out wide, get to byline and get the ball into the box. Pace, direct, width. Yes it may leave us exposed, but can we do any worse at the minute at home? I just want to be entertained. At the minute, I'm bored watching us. We are too predictable, and look disjointed with players out of position and the chopping and changing line up.

I am clearly moaning. Happily. I can just see that the system isn't working, and some of the choices Hill is making are the complete contrast to my own. Which is why I'm not a manager. But, football is a simple game. It can be over complicated at times by worrying about the opposition rather than ourselves. Our negative approach today fuelled Fleetwood. I just know that we have a very capable group of players, man to man they can match anyone. Let the opposition worry about us more, I think Hill is showing abit too much respect to the standard and the league. He was once famous for the 'No Fear' approach but at the minute that seems a distant memory.

We are in a great position, I've enjoyed the ride. But i think we are a few tweaks away, (positive ones) from being a force in this league. Hill needs to give them abit more freedom again, the players look in fear of making a mistake or expressing themselves. He's got them drilled so hard they appear to be concentrating too much on the game plan instead of playing with a smile and enjoying the game! We all know when we play football we can turn it on its a lack of belief at the minute that's causing our problems in my opinion.

Long winded, I am sorry. But does anyone agree or am I riding solo?
The system? on 00:09 - Dec 29 with 1598 viewsD_Alien

If you read other threads you'll find you're not "riding solo" so not sure why you've posed that question.

You've made many good points, not least the one about being bored by the approach adopted at home. Yes, we have injuries, but your point about having players like Cwyka and RNL is perfectly valid; both as fresh as daisies and able to take the game to the opposition.

I too was bored today, irrespective of league position. Actually, that just makes it worse, because we've nothing to lose by going out to win instead of handing the game on a plate to the opposition.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

The system? on 00:18 - Dec 29 with 1569 viewsRosun

Agree.
Also feel that you need competition for places.
Rafferty seems to be a shoe in for the right back slot but Rhys can play there.
Jack O'Connell seemed to be played out of position but seemed de-mob happy in the last couple of games as if he was some kind of social experiment. Tanser would have filled that role stood on his head.
It's the second ball that does my head in ... you can almost see it coming. We got steamrollered by Fleetwood / Barnsley / Bradford / Doncaster / Oldham / Gillingham on this from clearances from the back that don't even clear 30 yards. With a midfield duo that double as your strike force you will always be up against it with no outlet ball.
If Calvin Andrew comes on then play to his strength instead of having him defending set pieces.
BTW.. IANAFM (I am not a football manager)
[Post edited 29 Dec 2014 0:36]
The system? on 00:35 - Dec 29 with 1542 viewsbeat_the_bishop

The system? on 00:09 - Dec 29 by D_Alien

If you read other threads you'll find you're not "riding solo" so not sure why you've posed that question.

You've made many good points, not least the one about being bored by the approach adopted at home. Yes, we have injuries, but your point about having players like Cwyka and RNL is perfectly valid; both as fresh as daisies and able to take the game to the opposition.

I too was bored today, irrespective of league position. Actually, that just makes it worse, because we've nothing to lose by going out to win instead of handing the game on a plate to the opposition.

I meant more in terms of the change in formation? It seems glaringly obvious to me. But having discussed it with my friend he wasn't fully sure it was the answer!

I never went Scunthorpe but according to the fans that did Cwyka had a good game? Then it's back to the bench? Odd.

I don't think Hery had a great game, neither did anybody else. But the poor lad must enter the pitch petrified of making a mistake knowing Hill wants his head on a stick. Hill must know the fans want him in the team, it's almost like he doesn't like him in the team because the fans like him in the team if that makes sense? Almost implying we and our opinion is completely invalid as we are fans and we don't actually know a great deal. Which is far from the truth!

We all have contrasting opinions it's what makes the game special. But, it's the fans opinion that Hill can't keep waving away. We are Rochdale, there isn't loads of us but the ones he has are as loyal as it gets. I love the guy but his arrogance towards us gets on my wick. 90% of us would adore him. So why does he insist on trying to ruffle our feathers?

Nothing to lose. Exactly! You enter the pitch with nothing, if you leave with nothing that's unfortunate. But we pay for what happens Inbetween that. Referred to as as 'entertainment'. At home this season we are being served up with that far too often. It's the manner of the defeats that really really tastes sh*t.
The system? on 00:42 - Dec 29 with 1521 viewsbeat_the_bishop

The system? on 00:18 - Dec 29 by Rosun

Agree.
Also feel that you need competition for places.
Rafferty seems to be a shoe in for the right back slot but Rhys can play there.
Jack O'Connell seemed to be played out of position but seemed de-mob happy in the last couple of games as if he was some kind of social experiment. Tanser would have filled that role stood on his head.
It's the second ball that does my head in ... you can almost see it coming. We got steamrollered by Fleetwood / Barnsley / Bradford / Doncaster / Oldham / Gillingham on this from clearances from the back that don't even clear 30 yards. With a midfield duo that double as your strike force you will always be up against it with no outlet ball.
If Calvin Andrew comes on then play to his strength instead of having him defending set pieces.
BTW.. IANAFM (I am not a football manager)
[Post edited 29 Dec 2014 0:36]

Thoroughly agree. O'Connell is just a shadow of the player we know he is in that position. Hill appears obsessed with versatility. In this case it is clear he's got it wrong!

Showing too much respect to Lancashire. Yes he was fantastic last season, however I am not sure if you agree but O'Connell and Eastham with Bennett at RB and Tans at LB has been by far our best back four this season. It's unfair on Eastham considering that he spent all last season quietly awaiting his chance for first team football to witness Hill trying everything in his power to accommodate Lancashire now he is fit again. You pick your team on form, not favouritism. Lancashire should now be sat on the bench patiently awaiting he's opportunity again. It's swings and roundabouts. Or only I thought it was?
The system? on 00:53 - Dec 29 with 1511 viewsolympicdale

The system? on 00:42 - Dec 29 by beat_the_bishop

Thoroughly agree. O'Connell is just a shadow of the player we know he is in that position. Hill appears obsessed with versatility. In this case it is clear he's got it wrong!

Showing too much respect to Lancashire. Yes he was fantastic last season, however I am not sure if you agree but O'Connell and Eastham with Bennett at RB and Tans at LB has been by far our best back four this season. It's unfair on Eastham considering that he spent all last season quietly awaiting his chance for first team football to witness Hill trying everything in his power to accommodate Lancashire now he is fit again. You pick your team on form, not favouritism. Lancashire should now be sat on the bench patiently awaiting he's opportunity again. It's swings and roundabouts. Or only I thought it was?

I don't know what system Hill is trying to play at the back recently, Ash/Lancy and JOC, with Raff, and Rose (today) pulling back, play the back 4 that was so successful and stop tinkering with it for no apparent reason, it is leading to a lot of confusion and its not necessary.

Life is a game of fate.

The system? on 01:03 - Dec 29 with 1496 viewsbeat_the_bishop

Neither do I. It confuses me and I'm sat in the stand with a great view! It's just so disjointed it's actually weird considering how successful it's been earlier in the season.

Logan is a massive miss, Lillis is a good keeper, not as good as Logan but having just got back between the posts after a long layoff the best thing to do is surely give him the reassurance of a settled, confident back four so he can find his feet again and get back to his best. He must currently feel seasick with all the squad rotation and positional movement taking place in front of him.

Hill has turned into a 'tinker man' all of a sudden. I understand changes with regards to injuries and suspensions. But usually, like for like changes is how to address that with minimal disruption? Instead he would rather play Carol the club accountant in defensive midfield to prove how 'versatile' team Rochdale are. Zzzzzzz
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024