Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back 18:21 - Aug 22 with 4430 viewsrrrspricey

Well to Cannon St.

Fcuk me we do like to make hard work of it. 3 up and cruising then Ali slips and gives it away and it's 3 1 and nerves are jangling. Didn't see what happened at the corner for their second but you could feel the tension all around the ground.

Started slowly and they were running the show for the first 25 mins or so and we looked nervy until Chery popped his.

Second half came out a different team and some great work with a decent cross by Luongo down the right made it easy for Chery to grab his second. Then a long-range effort from Charlie somehow beat their keeper and we think it's all over.

To be fair we should've had a pen and they should've been a man down when Charlie was brought down when through on goal. Stonewall pen waved away by the ref.

Not sure about the pen we got. Polter went over very easily after someone put their hand on his back. He wanted to take the pen too but Charlie nicked the ball off him and tucked it away.

Jury is still out on the defence, Ned & Hall, who I thought had an excellent game today, looked solid enough but Perch and Koncheski still give the ball away far to easily at times.

Positives for me were Ali is another step closer to match fitness, Hall had a good game as did Luongo. Chery looks lively and Kpekawa got a couple of minutes at the end.

Was great to see Stan on the pitch before the game and a great touch of a minutes applause on 10 mins.

All in all its hard to be negative when you've won 4-2, just need to tighten up at the back. Shipping 2 goals every game just isn't good enough.

Onwards and upwards!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2015 18:23]
Just back on 19:13 - Aug 22 with 4090 viewsPablo_Hoopsta

Also just back - trains been a bit of a headache going southwest!

We looked the better team from the off and seemed like they were using their energy to stop is playing, which frustrated us a lot until Cherry scored as you said. We still made a bit of a meal of it and let them play their game a bit too much, especially in the first half allowing them to play some nice passes at times.

But we overcame that and imposed our better players on them and deserved to be 3-0 up. The penalty looked fair from where I was but the first shout was stronger and i think not getting that first one made the softer second more likely to be given. I thought Austin should have given it to Cherry to score his hat trick though, and did laugh at him wagging his finger at Polter whose definitely didn't want to give the ball up at first!

The back line needs to sort itself out though, we can keep conceding as many as we are because we won't always score 3 or 4. I'll have to see the highlights for a better opinion of their goals but over all think most of the players have a good account of themselves, we didn't play great and were under a bit of pressure early on but rode that well.

edit: hit post in the bloody touch screen thing...ramble resuming below...

Well chuffed we won and have back to back league wins, it'll so the players, Ramsey and us fans the world of good, and some goals to watch over and over! I look forward to the close of the transfer window and knowing who we have. If Austin stays we should offer him a new contract with a buy out clause (£15m if not in play offs or auto position, £20m if we are or in the Prem) and promise not to stand in his way should the right offer come. Same for Philips, but I feel less strongly about keeping Green. I kinda feel like as much as I think he has been brilliant for us, if he wants to leave us to go back to West Ham who didn't want him when they had him before, and is fart arsing about drawing it out then really if that's where your loyalty lies then thanks but goodbye and let's play our new keeper now.

[Post edited 22 Aug 2015 19:21]
Just back on 19:52 - Aug 22 with 3868 viewsVancouverHoop

Too many people ball watching on Rotherham's second. I think the back four were expecting a high cross and got a hard volley through the box instead. I could only see solid blue shirts and numbers from the corner of the school end, no one turned to pick up a man.
Just back on 19:54 - Aug 22 with 3854 viewsTacticalR

@rrrspricey 'Didn't see what happened at the corner for their second but you could feel the tension all around the ground.'

The Rotherham player on the near post missed his header (not sure if that was deliberate or not), our players thought he was going to get it, and another Rotherham player came in to head the ball.

@rrrspricey 'Not sure about the pen we got. Polter went over very easily after someone put their hand on his back. He wanted to take the pen too but Charlie nicked the ball off him and tucked it away.'

It looked a pen to me as Polter's legs got taken away.

Air hostess clique

Just back on 20:09 - Aug 22 with 3750 viewsGloucs_R

Just back on 19:52 - Aug 22 by VancouverHoop

Too many people ball watching on Rotherham's second. I think the back four were expecting a high cross and got a hard volley through the box instead. I could only see solid blue shirts and numbers from the corner of the school end, no one turned to pick up a man.

Ned lost his man for their second, Ale at fault for the first.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Just back on 20:11 - Aug 22 with 3728 viewsmalcob

we never learn man on each post ffs and they dont get their second

I'd rather be in P block

Just back on 20:19 - Aug 22 with 3679 viewsjohncharles

Just back on 19:54 - Aug 22 by TacticalR

@rrrspricey 'Didn't see what happened at the corner for their second but you could feel the tension all around the ground.'

The Rotherham player on the near post missed his header (not sure if that was deliberate or not), our players thought he was going to get it, and another Rotherham player came in to head the ball.

@rrrspricey 'Not sure about the pen we got. Polter went over very easily after someone put their hand on his back. He wanted to take the pen too but Charlie nicked the ball off him and tucked it away.'

It looked a pen to me as Polter's legs got taken away.

Polter does what he does very well. He gets into the box and and says - bring me down or let me score.
A strange comparison but ...that's what Adel was good at.

Strong and stable my arse.

Just back on 20:25 - Aug 22 with 3639 viewsbosh67

Very entertaining 2nd half.

We can and will score goals if we play on the front foot. We will score more than we concede, as we did today. If we sit back we will get picked off. The second goal against us showed a huge fault in what looks like zonal marking for corners. The guy simply walked the ball in. We have to man mark.

However, positives for me were that we actually looked like scoring goals. Chery is a class act and he will get better. Charlie looked very wound up first half but relaxed second and got his rewards. His lay offs were sublime. Luongo works his nuts off and keeps the ball well. Hall looks like a proper CB, better than Caulker. I thought Konchesky was very solid. 30-70 mins Faurlin controlled everything we did (I'll come back to Ale). Thought Doughty looked great and took up where Faurlin left. Big unit now with very quick feet. Polter. He's a big lump of a player. Ungainly, ugly to watch, all over the place. But... he must be a nightmare to play against. Henry also kept it simple. Difficult out left for Phillips and he looked better on the right. So, overall, a much harder working team. Needs to use width more because it works.

Negatives. Perch did get better but needs to get match fit quickly. I am sure he will, he is a good player. They need to manage Faurlin and his right knee. It gave way when we conceded the first goal. He didn't slip, I have seen this before. The brain to knee signal simply didn't work. He didn't know where the knee was and he went over. Then it happened again a few minutes later. I remember seeing this happen to Cook when he came back. I think we need to have a system that gives Faurlin 60+ minutes and then rescue him because he is pivotal to the way we play but he needs protection. Doughty is a very good replacement. He is a different player but he can get into tackles and he can see a pass. We have to protect that right knee of Faurlin's at all costs. Zonal marking. We couldn't do much about the 1st goal, their centre forward was a very impressive, as stated in another thread. Worked very hard and looked great in front of goal. But there were a few times where we lost players and that seemed to be because we were marking space rather than players. Rotherham proved that even at this level, if you make mistakes you will get punished.

Some of the technical skills in the goals today were impressive. Good to see. Loved Ale getting all the players in to celebrate. That is a great thing to do to bond the players. But it concerns me that we mustn't over play Ale and give him 60-70 mins max to play his game otherwise it could happen again. They were right to take him off when they did to avoid injury but it does show that he needs game management.

Overall, I thought Rotherham played their part. They made some good chances and gave it a go even at 3 down. Ref had a strange game. Not helped much by his linesman but got the 1st penalty badly wrong and was generous with the 2nd, but well done to Polter for drawing the tackle.

I would really like to see them bring Blackwood into the squad. We do need a predator and I really think he deserves the chance to prove himself in the area. From what I have seen he reminds me very much of a young Clive Allen. We are missing that type of player on the bench, a goal poacher.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Just back on 20:36 - Aug 22 with 3580 viewsGloucs_R

Just back on 20:25 - Aug 22 by bosh67

Very entertaining 2nd half.

We can and will score goals if we play on the front foot. We will score more than we concede, as we did today. If we sit back we will get picked off. The second goal against us showed a huge fault in what looks like zonal marking for corners. The guy simply walked the ball in. We have to man mark.

However, positives for me were that we actually looked like scoring goals. Chery is a class act and he will get better. Charlie looked very wound up first half but relaxed second and got his rewards. His lay offs were sublime. Luongo works his nuts off and keeps the ball well. Hall looks like a proper CB, better than Caulker. I thought Konchesky was very solid. 30-70 mins Faurlin controlled everything we did (I'll come back to Ale). Thought Doughty looked great and took up where Faurlin left. Big unit now with very quick feet. Polter. He's a big lump of a player. Ungainly, ugly to watch, all over the place. But... he must be a nightmare to play against. Henry also kept it simple. Difficult out left for Phillips and he looked better on the right. So, overall, a much harder working team. Needs to use width more because it works.

Negatives. Perch did get better but needs to get match fit quickly. I am sure he will, he is a good player. They need to manage Faurlin and his right knee. It gave way when we conceded the first goal. He didn't slip, I have seen this before. The brain to knee signal simply didn't work. He didn't know where the knee was and he went over. Then it happened again a few minutes later. I remember seeing this happen to Cook when he came back. I think we need to have a system that gives Faurlin 60+ minutes and then rescue him because he is pivotal to the way we play but he needs protection. Doughty is a very good replacement. He is a different player but he can get into tackles and he can see a pass. We have to protect that right knee of Faurlin's at all costs. Zonal marking. We couldn't do much about the 1st goal, their centre forward was a very impressive, as stated in another thread. Worked very hard and looked great in front of goal. But there were a few times where we lost players and that seemed to be because we were marking space rather than players. Rotherham proved that even at this level, if you make mistakes you will get punished.

Some of the technical skills in the goals today were impressive. Good to see. Loved Ale getting all the players in to celebrate. That is a great thing to do to bond the players. But it concerns me that we mustn't over play Ale and give him 60-70 mins max to play his game otherwise it could happen again. They were right to take him off when they did to avoid injury but it does show that he needs game management.

Overall, I thought Rotherham played their part. They made some good chances and gave it a go even at 3 down. Ref had a strange game. Not helped much by his linesman but got the 1st penalty badly wrong and was generous with the 2nd, but well done to Polter for drawing the tackle.

I would really like to see them bring Blackwood into the squad. We do need a predator and I really think he deserves the chance to prove himself in the area. From what I have seen he reminds me very much of a young Clive Allen. We are missing that type of player on the bench, a goal poacher.

Everything went down the left first half and I thought Konchesky played well, as did Ned and Hall. Perch doesnt look a natural RB to me, maybe we do need SimpSon and switch Perch to CB.

I thought we had a poor first half, let them into the game and gave them confidence and were lucky to come in 1-0 up at HT. In the 2nd half it was a different story, good movement and runs all over the shop. The first two goals were superb and Austin did well to make space for himself for the 3rd, lucky the keeper fluffed it. Polter did well for the 4th but needs to be careful not to give the ball away so cheaply. I was gutted he missed the one that beat everyone and sailed across the area.

Not sure what we do when Austin goes, thats a big blow to us but every goals he scores, he pushed his value up. I would like Gayle but he played and scored for Palace today.

Overheard a Rotherham family talking after the game and heard them say "best football we've seen for ages, they were a real good footballing team"

Login to get fewer ads

Just back on 20:47 - Aug 22 with 3513 viewsted_hendrix

Just back on 20:09 - Aug 22 by Gloucs_R

I thought Ale was puffing and blowing a bit around 60 mins and maybe should have been subbed.
First game in the flesh for me and I might be wrong (bloody hot day and all that) but our fitness aren't all that impressive.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Just back on 20:50 - Aug 22 with 3478 viewsdaveinmelbourne

First game in two years, Luongo and Chery were excellent, heaps of movement. Very impressed with our forward play.
Defensively we lost concentration as well as sitting too deep it looked like to me.
Just back on 21:11 - Aug 22 with 3403 viewsbosh67

Just back on 20:47 - Aug 22 by ted_hendrix

I thought Ale was puffing and blowing a bit around 60 mins and maybe should have been subbed.
First game in the flesh for me and I might be wrong (bloody hot day and all that) but our fitness aren't all that impressive.

His knee was starting to weaken. That's why he went over twice. I thought he ran the whole game from 30-65 mins but we have to manage his game time.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Just back on 22:01 - Aug 22 with 3263 viewsted_hendrix

Just back on 21:11 - Aug 22 by bosh67

His knee was starting to weaken. That's why he went over twice. I thought he ran the whole game from 30-65 mins but we have to manage his game time.

Fair enough I just thought he looked worn out around the hour mark.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Just back on 22:15 - Aug 22 with 3199 viewsGloucs_R

Just back on 22:01 - Aug 22 by ted_hendrix

Fair enough I just thought he looked worn out around the hour mark.

I thought Ramsey left the subs too late. Quite a few could have done with coming off after 70 mins.

Another 3 points though, but must tighten up at the back or we are in for some spankings this season (as well as hammering teams ourselves)

Just back on 00:19 - Aug 23 with 2970 viewsbaz_qpr

Ale lost it deep in their half though, there was a long way to go before they scored, maybe Henry should have been a little deeper
Just back on 09:38 - Aug 23 with 2737 viewsHayesender

Agree, also thought he was having a problem with his knee.

Straight after he'd made his 2nd mistake, he stamped his foot on the pitch and seemed to be telling himself off.

Maybe rest the lad next week

Poll: Shamima Beghum

Just back on 10:42 - Aug 23 with 2654 viewsRoller

Will it strengthen with time or do you think it will always be the case now?
Just back on 11:21 - Aug 23 with 2582 viewsMedwayR

I originally thought it was Onouha but having seen it again I think it was maybe Doughty (was he on the pitch by then?) who let his man go.

Poll: Who’s better?

Just back on 11:42 - Aug 23 with 2533 viewsstevec

Thoroughly enjoyable second half with some entertaining football. So much better when we up the tempo and couldn't have been easy on a hot summers day. Good to see Perch and Konchelsky finally made aware it's okay to venture into oppos half, all good stuff.

Aside of the goals conceded stats it's a little worrying how every one we play is looking quite good themselves, maybe better than they actually are.

We rode our luck in a lot of games in the first half during last promotion season, but there was a resilience which carried us through. Let's hope that's the same this time round.
Just back on 13:04 - Aug 23 with 2424 viewsPinnerPaul

Just back on 20:47 - Aug 22 by ted_hendrix

I said before they scored Ale needs to come off.

No sub until 75th minute in that heat, especially as were 3-0 up, was poor from Ramsey IMHO.
Just back on 14:10 - Aug 23 with 2349 viewsVancouverHoop

Just back on 10:42 - Aug 23 by Roller

Will it strengthen with time or do you think it will always be the case now?

Good question. If his stumbles, as someone suggested above, are a case of "messages not getting through" to his knee, then it's a neurological issue.

When someone has had a stroke, which I'm somewhat familiar with, they're told that the brain is capable of rebuilding neural pathways for up to six months after the incident. After that any improvement will likely be down to physiotherapy.

Now I don't know how similar a triple tear to an ACL is to a brain hemorrhage neurologically, but if there's any resemblance at all then Ale will be well past the neural reconstruction stage. Physio can do a lot after that, but you're going to be left with some deficits. I'm guessing that that the team, and Faurlin himself, are still learning where those are, and how much they will limit his performance.
[Post edited 23 Aug 2015 14:11]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024