Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tel Aviv - anyone been? 12:29 - Jul 19 with 3143 viewsKonk

I'm toying with the idea of a week in Tel Aviv/Jerusalem in March. Tel Aviv looks like a interesting city for a bit of sunshine in Spring, and whilst I'm not at all religious, I'd like to see Jerusalem.

Has anyone been? Worth a visit?

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:31 - Jul 19 with 3137 viewsaston_hoop

I'm going in December for 8 days, 4 in Tel Aviv and surrounding area and then 4 in Jerusalem with some tours of the holy land. so I'll be sitting in on this thread watching for responses too.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:31 - Jul 19 with 3136 viewsLongsufferingR

Definitely worth a visit. The sightseeing is top notch and the beaches are fantastic. Security wise, the airports/flights are as secure as you can possibly make them, but the risks on the streets are no different to any European country at the moment it seems.
Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:37 - Jul 19 with 3116 viewsDaiHo0p

Flew in and flew out of Tel Aviv. Stayed in Ramallah with Palestinian friend, which was much more relaxing than being among the Israeli security forces in Jerusalem and Bethlehem, which they have stuck a big fence around. Not a comfortable place, probably the most unfriendly people I've met on my travels. They held me up at Elat and missed my flight by rerouting me through the Tel Aviv beach airport and kept hold of my diving regs. I did lie to them all the time though about where I was going.
Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:37 - Jul 19 with 3113 viewsKonk

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:31 - Jul 19 by LongsufferingR

Definitely worth a visit. The sightseeing is top notch and the beaches are fantastic. Security wise, the airports/flights are as secure as you can possibly make them, but the risks on the streets are no different to any European country at the moment it seems.

Thanks LSR, that's what I reckoned on the security front, although my wife's not entirely convinced. I hear the beer's expensive/cack, which is causing me some anxiety, but we'll have our young son with us, so that won't be a deal-breaker.

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:47 - Jul 19 with 3085 viewsKonk

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:37 - Jul 19 by DaiHo0p

Flew in and flew out of Tel Aviv. Stayed in Ramallah with Palestinian friend, which was much more relaxing than being among the Israeli security forces in Jerusalem and Bethlehem, which they have stuck a big fence around. Not a comfortable place, probably the most unfriendly people I've met on my travels. They held me up at Elat and missed my flight by rerouting me through the Tel Aviv beach airport and kept hold of my diving regs. I did lie to them all the time though about where I was going.

I must admit to not having been charmed by most (okay, any) Israelis that I've met on my travels, but weirdly that's one of the main reasons I want to visit; I'm hoping to meet some friendly locals, so I can stop thinking of Israelis as one big homogenous mass of impolite, queue-jumping gits!

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:54 - Jul 19 with 3067 viewsLongsufferingR

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:47 - Jul 19 by Konk

I must admit to not having been charmed by most (okay, any) Israelis that I've met on my travels, but weirdly that's one of the main reasons I want to visit; I'm hoping to meet some friendly locals, so I can stop thinking of Israelis as one big homogenous mass of impolite, queue-jumping gits!

I think Russians fit that description better than any nationality I've ever come across before. My first experience of Russians en masse came during a visit to Egypt a few years back and I was absolutely stunned by the rudeness, lack of basic manners, air of superiority and downright chavviness (dripping with fake gold jewellery and clothes).

My experience of Israelis is a world away from that, and I think a lot of the problems some people report may be due to the fact that they are not used to a whole population being so security minded and on edge all the time.
Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:58 - Jul 19 with 3048 viewsKonk

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 12:54 - Jul 19 by LongsufferingR

I think Russians fit that description better than any nationality I've ever come across before. My first experience of Russians en masse came during a visit to Egypt a few years back and I was absolutely stunned by the rudeness, lack of basic manners, air of superiority and downright chavviness (dripping with fake gold jewellery and clothes).

My experience of Israelis is a world away from that, and I think a lot of the problems some people report may be due to the fact that they are not used to a whole population being so security minded and on edge all the time.

I didn't want to mention the Russians! Again, went to St Petersburg partly because I wanted to prove to myself that not all Russians were hard work - was struggling to be won over until our last night, when we spent a few hours drinking with a couple of really lovely blokes. Those two and my Siberian hairdresser won me over (but Russians in general still seem like a pretty joyless bunch!)

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 13:09 - Jul 19 with 3015 viewsrunningman75

Jerusalem is an interesting city I spent a couple of days walking around and visiting historical sites. One women got turned away from the wailing wall for wearing shorter shorts. I put trousers on there though some tourists will wear shorts. Was in June and above 35 degrees celcius. Tel Aviv has a lovely beach , good bars and pretty women in bikinis and is a bit like Club Med. Very different to Jerusalem. Went there for 5 days. There is lovely markets , amazingly fresh juice can be bought from the side of the road. Also went walked into Jaffa for 1/2 a day which has great fish restaurants. I did have an Israeli taxi driver who seemed to drive double the distance at one point though. Shuttle buses are good to get between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
Login to get fewer ads

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 13:39 - Jul 19 with 2949 viewsKonk

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 13:09 - Jul 19 by runningman75

Jerusalem is an interesting city I spent a couple of days walking around and visiting historical sites. One women got turned away from the wailing wall for wearing shorter shorts. I put trousers on there though some tourists will wear shorts. Was in June and above 35 degrees celcius. Tel Aviv has a lovely beach , good bars and pretty women in bikinis and is a bit like Club Med. Very different to Jerusalem. Went there for 5 days. There is lovely markets , amazingly fresh juice can be bought from the side of the road. Also went walked into Jaffa for 1/2 a day which has great fish restaurants. I did have an Israeli taxi driver who seemed to drive double the distance at one point though. Shuttle buses are good to get between Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.

Thanks mate, that's very helpful. Did you find it expensive? I only ask as a weekend somewhere like Oslo/Zurich is just about bearable, but any longer and I start to resent having to pay £600 for a cheese sarnie and it tends to ruin my enjoyment of a place.

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 19:25 - Aug 3 with 2647 viewsaston_hoop

Bumping this back to the top for a relevant question, has anyone also been to Haifa? Is it worth a couple of days staying or just a day trip from Tel Aviv?

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 20:25 - Aug 3 with 2595 viewsdubaistu

Tel Aviv supposed to be awesome, just a warning though if you plan on going to Dubai or anywhere else in the Middle East you'll face difficulties with an Israeli stamp in your passport.

Make sure immigration scan you passport and put the stamp on another piece of paper.
Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 20:38 - Aug 3 with 2575 viewsaston_hoop

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 20:25 - Aug 3 by dubaistu

Tel Aviv supposed to be awesome, just a warning though if you plan on going to Dubai or anywhere else in the Middle East you'll face difficulties with an Israeli stamp in your passport.

Make sure immigration scan you passport and put the stamp on another piece of paper.

Apparently Israel have done away with passport stamps and only issue separate visas at immigration now to avoid that very issue. Sensible move I suppose.

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 21:31 - Aug 3 with 2514 viewsBAWHoops

I go all the time as my parents have a holiday home just up the road in a sleepy beach town called Hertzliah

Incredible city.

Tons of amazing restaurants, bars and things to do.
The women are absolute knockout as well. Perhaps some of the best looking on the planet.

Sightseeing is out of this world. Try and do a day in Jerusalem, one of the most fascinating cities on earth.

I'm Jewish, so a little dangerous for me to venture to West Bank/Occupied Territories, but I believe Ramallah and Bethlehem are worth visiting.

Haifa is worth going to for a day to see the Bahai Gardens.

Current exchange rate isn't good. It's expensive at the moment after Brexit etc.

As for Israeli's.... yeah they are dicks and can be incredibly rude, but you get used to it
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 21:33]

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 21:53 - Aug 3 with 2490 viewsPT17

Konk- I've just got back from 2 weeks in Israel - have a family house in caesarea north of Tel aviv, son (fellow ST lower loft) has returned from 3 week tour in Israel.
Love the place - Tel Aviv especially down by the new promenade is well worth hanging out - a bit hip! Jerusalem can be a bit over powering in places however if you feel adventurous go into the markets great local style eating places very reasonable traditional food with locals. Haifa is ok - Elijah's Cave. A must, if the get the chance Mitzpe Ramon in the Negev desert - incredible place, looks like all space movies should be made there.
I find the Israelis abrupt but just get on with it, no problem with security, get used to army travelling around. Eilat for diving and snorkelling, Coral beach is the place - even walking to waters edge saw lots of different fish, rays etc (43 degrees last week!)
We have a friend who is a guide - originally from Bournemouth he's brilliant especially with local knowledge and getting info out at the right level e.g. kids, adults teenagers - took us to see Santana in the park Tel Aviv last Saturday - free, he's in the know.
Driving is mental no concept of which lane to use but it flows - good roads especially the 1,2,4 6 and 40
Originally went 20 years ago, try and get over at least twice a year at the moment - March will be cooler, it has been known to snow in Jerusalem in March!
If you want to know more let me know
by the way - have to have goats cheese, ST holder and been registered for nearly two years and this may be my first post! Love the site, live in Pinner can't wait to get back in the swing of it come this Sunday at mid day.
[Post edited 3 Aug 2016 22:32]
Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 08:07 - Aug 4 with 2347 viewsKonk

Thanks very much, BAWHOOPS and PT17. I'm well up for 4-5 days in Tel Aviv and a couple in Jerusalem and I think my wife is 90% convinced, so hopefully we'll get there in Spring. We have a nine hour flight coming up with our son in a couple of weeks - going to see how that goes before committing to 4.5-5 hours on Easyjet! Thanks again.

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 08:49 - Aug 4 with 2326 viewsMrSheen

I read somewhere that Tel Aviv has a huge number of knocking shops. Orthodox Americans send their sons over for a pilgrimage after finishing High School and rather than visit the holy sites they spend as much time as they can getting their end away.

Keep'em peeled.
Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 13:52 - Aug 4 with 2272 viewshoof_hearted

Tel Aviv - anyone been? on 08:49 - Aug 4 by MrSheen

I read somewhere that Tel Aviv has a huge number of knocking shops. Orthodox Americans send their sons over for a pilgrimage after finishing High School and rather than visit the holy sites they spend as much time as they can getting their end away.

Keep'em peeled.

A simple misinterpretation of Hole-y sites. Could happen to anyone.
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024