Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Stocks and Shares ISA 20:17 - Feb 8 with 14005 viewscackinthesackjack

After becoming frustrated with a measly 1% interest on my savings i'm researching investing in a stocks and shares ISA. I've opened one with Hargreaves & Landsdown and am looking into some sort of managed fund. I'm looking at a long term investment that will (hopefully) give me a greater return on my investment. Are there any posters on here who dabble in investments that could offer some advice?

Thanks in advance

Poll: To replace or not to replace Garry Monk?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 20:22 - Feb 8 with 11802 viewsmax936

Take a look at Met Life, I've got a pension with them and was gonna put money into an ISA with them, got a good contact who deals with them if you're interested, PM me and I'll pass on your number.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Stocks and Shares ISA on 20:24 - Feb 8 with 11791 viewsDwightYorkeSuperstar

Nationwide has an account where you can keep £2500 with 5% interest for a year.

A Halifax Vantage account lets you keep up to £15,000 at 3% interest.

You can keep up to £12,000 in Tesco at 3% interest.

I'm sure Lisa will let me know if I am wrong, however you do not pay tax on interest up to £1000 if you your tax rate is up to 20% and £500 at 40%, so ISA's are not the fantastic option they were a while ago.

Poll: Should MP for Swansea East Carolyn Harris resign?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:00 - Feb 8 with 11741 viewsowainglyndwr

RBS has a similar one to Nationwide but with RBS you can have 3 accounts, well you could 4 weeks ago.
Same as anything there are some clauses to look into
Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:00 - Feb 8 with 11740 viewsmonmouth

Stocks and Shares ISA on 20:24 - Feb 8 by DwightYorkeSuperstar

Nationwide has an account where you can keep £2500 with 5% interest for a year.

A Halifax Vantage account lets you keep up to £15,000 at 3% interest.

You can keep up to £12,000 in Tesco at 3% interest.

I'm sure Lisa will let me know if I am wrong, however you do not pay tax on interest up to £1000 if you your tax rate is up to 20% and £500 at 40%, so ISA's are not the fantastic option they were a while ago.

Cash isas aren't that interesting for 20% taxpayers because of the new tax threshold. Stocks should still give much better value over the medium term if you can live with the risk and don't need the cash in a hurry.

For stocks and shares, index trackers generally outperform managed funds and have much cheaper fees. No doubt a fund manager will tell you differently, as they make money pretending they can beat the market with anything but luck. A small change in management cost can make a disproportionate difference to the return. HL will be fine. I use Fidelity. Much of a muchness. Be prepared to leave it at least 5 years.

I'm not licenced to give investment advice, so ignore me.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:00 - Feb 8 with 11739 viewssherpajacob

For a stocks and shares IS A, the key factor in the long term return is the asset allocation.
This also is the key factor in how risky ( volatile) it is.

In simple terms asset allocation is how much of your money is in less volatile investments like bonds, and how much is in more volatile investments like shares.

A cautious fund may be 70% bonds / 30% shares and should comfortably beat the building society without too much risk.

If you want a,better return again increase the % in shares, which will also increase the risk.
Medium risk would be about 40% bonds / 60% shares.
Higher risk 80- 100% in shares, will give the best return over the long term, but be prepared for some ups and downs.

Any fund fact sheet from any investment manager will tell you the asset allocation.
The starting point is always, how much risk do you want to take?

Poll: Your favourite ever Swans shirt sponsor?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:04 - Feb 8 with 11718 viewsLoyal

Have a decent grand or two on Robeco, USA.
11% yield for past few years.
Lovely holidays I've had.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:06 - Feb 8 with 11712 viewsBournedore

Agree with the comment on Index trackers. That's a pretty decent 'invest and forget' option. Also check out Vanguard Lifestrategy funds. They are split into different options depending upon the risk level you are comfortable with and most of the shares involved are made up of their index trackers anyway. Check your platform charges too. Not sure HL are the best option for a stocks and shares ISA if you're not doing additional trading, but I could be wrong...
Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:11 - Feb 8 with 11689 viewswestside

You can put bonds and guilts in a stocks and shares isa as well.

Bonds and guilts are a bit safer than having all shares.

Virgin money have a selection of funds with a mix of shares/bonds/guilts

http://uk.virginmoney.com/virgin/isa/stocks-and-shares/
Login to get fewer ads

Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:21 - Feb 8 with 11674 viewssiralan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b081qyxh

Very good information on this radio 4 money box interview with john bogle the founder of Vanguard.

It's interesting that managed funds perform very poorly.

It goes to show how much BS these financial guessers give out at large expense.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:49 - Feb 8 with 11618 viewsDracan66

Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:21 - Feb 8 by siralan

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b081qyxh

Very good information on this radio 4 money box interview with john bogle the founder of Vanguard.

It's interesting that managed funds perform very poorly.

It goes to show how much BS these financial guessers give out at large expense.

HL s&s Isa is a good vehicle and

Just a question all but do any of you invest in gas and oil? I'm with Sound Energy and have followed them for over a year. A great possibility of strong return and are just about to drill TE-8 in Morocco and Badile in Italy.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:55 - Feb 8 with 11609 viewsjack247

Cash ISAs, at the moment are more about using up your annual allowance than the actual return I.e. if you forego it this year and spread between interest paying current accounts (some of which will require a specified turnover), you could lose out in years to come if interest rates are higher. Obviously this only applies to the very few fortunate to be able to put £15k away per year and want no risk.

Managed fund ISAs are a pretty good bet. They will charge you a fee of 1% (ish), but you will have a team of experts constantly monitoring the market and buying and selling on your behalf. Plus they count towards your ISA allowance and you could convert them to cash ISAs if interest rates increased enough to justify it. Not risk free, but kind of a compromise between a cash ISA and hitting the stock market yourself.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 21:58 - Feb 8 with 11595 viewspikeypaul

These things are common knowledge to large investors and are already priced in to its share price.

If you know something about the company that no one else knows then that's a different matter.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:00 - Feb 8 with 11591 viewsClinton

I put money into Fundsmith ISA this year. Long term one.

If you can fill the unforgiving minute. With sixty seconds' worth of distance run, Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it, And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:21 - Feb 8 with 11552 viewsTheResurrection

It's generally not fair on yourself or other's to ask for recommendations when investing in pension/investment funds. What maybe suitable for one will possibly be not for another.

You'll have to weigh up your financial situation against your aims and objectives and time horizon, any other need areas to consider, other investments already held, have you utilised tax free products etc, how much you're able or want to invest, your tolerance for risk and capacity for loss. Then, depending on all that and your tax bracket you can start to look at suitable products that match your attitude to risk... Capital protection, open ended etc.

The markets have done well the last few years so lots of funds will be showing good growth figures but the usual disclaimer, the past should never be relied upon. Fees and charges are worth paying for the right advice and products. Do you have a financial adviser? ;-)

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:25 - Feb 8 with 11543 viewsDr_Winston

Property always the best investment unless you get greedy.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:31 - Feb 8 with 11521 viewsTheResurrection

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:25 - Feb 8 by Dr_Winston

Property always the best investment unless you get greedy.

Something as illiquid as property makes that statement in isolation very poor advice.

Which is not to say an element of ones overall portfolio being in property would be.

* BOX OFFICE POST ABOVE* TM I am the resurrection and i am the light. I couldn’t ever bring myself to hate you as i’d like
Poll: Is it time for the Trust to make change happen?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:33 - Feb 8 with 11513 viewsDr_Winston

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:31 - Feb 8 by TheResurrection

Something as illiquid as property makes that statement in isolation very poor advice.

Which is not to say an element of ones overall portfolio being in property would be.

Return on property generally around the 7% mark almost in perpetuity unless you're one of the idiots who pays over £100k for a BTL.

It's not flexible, but it's safe.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Stocks and Shares ISA on 22:50 - Feb 8 with 11484 viewsWingstandwood

There are two ways of going about this i.e. invest by means of a financial advisor or invest directly yourself by means of a broker e.g. https://www.tddirectinvesting.co.uk/.
https://www.barclaysstockbrokers.co.uk/Pages/index.aspx
http://www.hl.co.uk/
https://www.share.com/

The nice thing about buying your own shares that way is you can set a 'stop-loss' so if there were to be a major crash you will be able to significantly reduce losses.
FTSE 100 is generally a safe bet especially if you're a long term investor i.e. even with a fall it has always historically bounced back again so a stop-loss does not have to be set if you're prepared to ride out a storm.

Do not get seduced by the more risky FTSE SmallCap, FTSE Fledgling stuff i.e. explorative mining, oil exploration, minor-pharmaceutical drug producer/researcher. They tend to be risky because these enterprises can have huge irrevocable share price falls and can even go bust at times! Also do not put all your eggs in one basket e.g. having an entire portfolio invested in the property market IMO buying a diverse range of shares in utilities, property, retail, major pharmaceutical companies etc is better. A good book to read about shares that many recommend is https://www.amazon.co.uk/Naked-Trader-Anyone-Trading-Shares/dp/1905641516.
[Post edited 8 Feb 2017 22:54]

Argus!

Stocks and Shares ISA on 23:09 - Feb 8 with 11437 viewsKingstonJack

I made 14% & the wife 17% in last 14 moths with a HL stock & shares ISA. She was more conservative in her choices.
I've just cashed-out some for some building work.
Also because I think we are in volatile times with article 50 about to be triggered.

I liked the company, and you can trade regularly if you want or leave it to be managed.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 23:19 - Feb 8 with 11413 viewssiralan

Stocks and Shares ISA on 23:09 - Feb 8 by KingstonJack

I made 14% & the wife 17% in last 14 moths with a HL stock & shares ISA. She was more conservative in her choices.
I've just cashed-out some for some building work.
Also because I think we are in volatile times with article 50 about to be triggered.

I liked the company, and you can trade regularly if you want or leave it to be managed.

FTSE 100 has gone up around 20% 5950-7188 in that time a simple blind ftse 100 tracker had out performed your choice.

If you listen to the link to the money box link it explains what bad value managed funds are.
Stocks and Shares ISA on 23:53 - Feb 8 with 11384 viewsKingstonJack

Stocks and Shares ISA on 23:19 - Feb 8 by siralan

FTSE 100 has gone up around 20% 5950-7188 in that time a simple blind ftse 100 tracker had out performed your choice.

If you listen to the link to the money box link it explains what bad value managed funds are.

Well I'm fully aware of the FTSE 100 movements thanks.
, a FTSE 100 - only investment could and has lost many % short term in the past also.
Those companies were only a % of my chosen mix ( I certainly wouldn't want to put eggs in 1 basket which I consider high-risk). As has been said, I chose to mix in property, foreign finance, and even ethical investments. I'll take my 14% gain in just over a year. Managed funds can cost 1-2% which does add up in the long term, but it's hands-off, choice to interfere obviously.
I think the OP is just asking for inputs and thoughts. If there was a guarantee of a huge return on a certain investment we'd all be doing it
Stocks and Shares ISA on 00:46 - Feb 9 with 11351 viewsJoe_bradshaw

Stocks and Shares ISA on 23:19 - Feb 8 by siralan

You still need to be careful which company you use. Some trackers return considerably more than others which, in theory, shouldn't happen but it does.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Stocks and Shares ISA on 07:57 - Feb 9 with 11270 viewsmonmouth

Stocks and Shares ISA on 00:46 - Feb 9 by Joe_bradshaw

You still need to be careful which company you use. Some trackers return considerably more than others which, in theory, shouldn't happen but it does.

The charges normally plus the tracking error. Shouldn't really pay more than 0.5% management fee or under 1% all charges. Fidelity were the cheapest, probably most are in line now. Halifax were charging 1.5% fee alone at one point, the shysters. Makes a big difference with the magic of compounding.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Stocks and Shares ISA on 09:01 - Feb 9 with 11219 viewssiralan

Legal & general ftse100 tracker 0.06% only available through Hargreaves & Lansdown

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results

Paying over 0.5 % for a tracker is madness.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 9:15]
Stocks and Shares ISA on 11:08 - Feb 9 with 11145 viewsPegojack

Stocks and Shares ISA on 09:01 - Feb 9 by siralan

Legal & general ftse100 tracker 0.06% only available through Hargreaves & Lansdown

http://www.hl.co.uk/funds/fund-discounts,-prices--and--factsheets/search-results

Paying over 0.5 % for a tracker is madness.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2017 9:15]

An alternative to buying funds and forking out money to fund managers is to have a self select share ISA.

I've had one for many years with stockbrokers Pilling & Co, and it forms the core of my retirement plans. In this kind of ISA, YOU take all the decisions, i.e. what to buy (and sell) and when. The stockbroker is execution only, i.e. they do your bidding without any advice or comment.

I'd recommend this for people who are starting out on the investment trail and want some serious, hands on involvement, though obviously do it cautiously at first. Start with small sums of money and never over stretch yourself. Do plenty of research and learn how the market works. If you're young, you can start this as a hobby in conjunction with whatever regular pension you're paying into.

I've built up a strong portfolio over the years, mostly 'blue chip' stocks like BP, Diageo, GSK, but also one or two smaller 'below the radar' companies. The portfolio is currently yielding about 4% annually in divis (which are all re-invested) and the capital growth is standing at about 50%.

Aside from the trading commissions, the only fee is £140 annually, taken by Pilling from your cash pot. As your investments and divis increase, this fee becomes inconsequential.

Great fun and it can become addictive!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024