Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Venice 07:53 - Apr 14 with 8435 viewskingsburyR

Morning All,

I'm looking to take Mrs Kingsbury for two night in June.

As this is the all knowing board (I have yet to see any question unanswered) can anyone recommend a nice hotel and also things to do over there.

Thanks in advance.

KR

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

Venice on 23:17 - May 13 with 1954 viewsDannyPaddox

An amazing place. 3 tips from me.

1. Try to visit in winter. Less tourists.

2. Don't get fleeced on gondolas. Just use the normal public boats (vaporettos?) The best one is the first (or last) corsa at about 4am. In essence it's the equivalent of a night bus (except it's a boat) doing a circuit of the main Island. For the price of a London bus ride you have the most magical nocturnal Venetian trip imaginable and usually hardly anyone else on the boat.

3. Avoid dwarves in shiny red macs.

[Post edited 13 May 2017 23:19]
Venice on 16:41 - May 15 with 1872 viewskingsburyR

That's the hotel and flights booked.

Now I see a few restaurants recommended.

Any other ideas are gladly received (as I know nothing of Venice).

Venice on 16:55 - May 15 with 1867 viewsBrightonhoop

Venice on 16:41 - May 15 by kingsburyR

That's the hotel and flights booked.

Now I see a few restaurants recommended.

Any other ideas are gladly received (as I know nothing of Venice).

Dont forget your camera.

Dont fall in the canals.

There's loads on Trip Advisor too.
Venice on 17:02 - May 15 with 1860 viewskingsburyR

Venice on 16:55 - May 15 by Brightonhoop

Dont forget your camera.

Dont fall in the canals.

There's loads on Trip Advisor too.

Can't buy advise like that!!!

Venice on 14:28 - May 16 with 1800 viewsBrightonhoop

Venice on 17:02 - May 15 by kingsburyR

Can't buy advise like that!!!

Saw on Facebook that Bill Power is in Venice, he posted a photo of a bloke that had just climbed out of the canal having fallen in havin his photo taken.
Venice on 10:45 - May 17 with 1753 viewskingsburyR

Venice on 20:14 - Apr 14 by Drewster

Took my other half there last March as a surprise birthday present. Boyfriend of the year award that weekend as I combined it with 24 hrs in Verona as well.
We stayed in the Hotel L'Orologio on the grand canal just up from Rialto. Lovely setting and a great hotel. Not cheap mind, but there isn't many that are in Venice.
I planned the whole trip for 6 months before, e mailing restuatrants, etc to plan the evenings as best as possible.
Ai Tre Archi is a fabulous family run pizzeria in the north of the city and easy to get to. We had starters, pizza, beer and wine that was cheaper than pizza express and in a lovely setting. Book in advance as when we left around 9ish they were queuing out the door.
Tips:
Buy a 24/48 hr Vaparetto pass for the water taxis, great way to pop around but remember to validate the pass on every journey. On our first trip out of the train station, another couple didnt and although they had a valid ticket, they didn't validate it and got a €500 fine!
Best tip though is to eat and drink away from the main spots, there are fabulous bars and trattorias to enjoy at below U.K prices.

And above all, leave the map behind and go get lost in the maze of alleyways and bridges and find your own personal wonders.
But... it'll be busy and hot in June!...

Ai Tre Archi booked for the Saturday night.

Grazie Drewster - (getting the practice in!)

Venice on 15:27 - May 17 with 1727 viewsDrewster

Venice on 10:45 - May 17 by kingsburyR

Ai Tre Archi booked for the Saturday night.

Grazie Drewster - (getting the practice in!)

Great to hear, I got the recommendation from the Sunday Times travel magazine.
Have the buffalo mozzarella ball and tomatoes (caprese), you'll never taste mozzarella like it.

We also went to a place called Vinaria on the grand canal, but it was a bit pretentious and too stuffy for me, I much prefer the trattatorias and rustic places, so I wouldn't recommend that, unless you want open wallet surgery!
Venice on 16:00 - May 17 with 1716 viewsrongould

Can't add much to the above
Have a look at the original Ghetto (there is a guided tour of one of the world's most remarkable synagogues),pretty central and not far from the station which is near the main stop and ticket office for the Vaporetti,
Stand with your back to the station facing The Grand Canal walk to your left go along the road where the buildings start. Just a few doors along on your right is a fairly unpretentious looking bar. It is almost always crowded,fight your way to the bar. Incredible cakes,great sandwiches and the best spritz in the city
Give it a go
Login to get fewer ads

Venice on 17:07 - May 17 with 1690 viewshoof_hearted

I was thinking of taking my wife up the Grand Canal. I might take her to Venice if she agrees.
Venice on 17:40 - May 17 with 1680 viewsqpr1976

Venice on 17:07 - May 17 by hoof_hearted

I was thinking of taking my wife up the Grand Canal. I might take her to Venice if she agrees.

Why not take her up the Oxo Tower ? At first my wife was hesitant and felt a little uncomfortable. But after a few vegetable entrees, she soon relaxed and started to enjoy it. Now she won't let me take her anywhere else !

Plus it's closer & cheaper than Venice.
[Post edited 17 May 2017 17:41]
Venice on 17:08 - May 18 with 1631 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Thanks to genial Harry Redknapp, you've got two opportunities when we play in the second city, to give her a pre-match treat in the Bourneville region. In fact, make a weekend of it, and take her up by the Grand Union Canal route as well!

Trust me, she'll be so glad, she'll want to get you something nice in the Bull Ring.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Venice on 13:58 - Jun 1 with 1530 viewskingsburyR

Off in the morning......I'll have my travelllers guide on Monday!!!

"Tu R'sssss"

Venice on 14:23 - Jun 1 with 1524 viewsR_from_afar

I went to Venice over thirty years ago and it was very impressive.

If you plan to go into any religious buildings, you my not be allowed in unless your legs are covered; my dad was not allowed into a cathedral because he was wearing shorts.

Have a great trip,
RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Venice on 22:45 - Jun 7 with 1454 viewsDrewster

Venice on 13:58 - Jun 1 by kingsburyR

Off in the morning......I'll have my travelllers guide on Monday!!!

"Tu R'sssss"

So how did it go?
What did you think of tre archi?
Venice on 11:51 - Jun 8 with 1388 viewskingsburyR

Venice on 22:45 - Jun 7 by Drewster

So how did it go?
What did you think of tre archi?

Morning All,

Finally getting round to thanking you all. Venice is a wonderfully odd place and I absolutely loved it. I still favor Rome but for very different reasons.

Tre Archi was a fantastic end to the short break. (Crab Gnocchi followed by Pizza). Lovely loctaion and great staff. All the food was amazing. But huge thanks to you Drewster.

Also thanks to Konk for recommending lunch at Cantinone—già Schiavi , the cicheti was killer.

Thanks also for Hopphoops for the Clooney recommendation (private taxi from airport - what a way to see the first views of thew city). That really impressed Mrs K. We got the bus/boat back to the airport....not so glam!!

On top of that big thanks to all the rest of the comments, the 24 hrs vaperatto pass was well worth while. We did stick the map in our pocket and just follow our noses. Stopped and drank, walked , stopped and ate, walked some more (and repeat!).
Churches were amazing (I'm Catholic) so taking in mass at St Marks for the 10.30 singing mass was the closest i've ever come to a spiritual moment!!!

I would recommend Venice to anyone. Not sure I'd rush back as there plenty of other cities i want to see but everyone should see it at least once!!!

KR

P.S. Had a E20 Bellini in Harrys Bar. - Wasnt aware of a dress code but luckily we had dressed for the occasion purely by chance (it was 30 deg C over there but no smell at all). We got a odd enjoyment sitting at the bar making our call under our breath of who was getting turned around at the door. More got turned then got in!

P.P.S. Italians drink at the most bizarre parts of the day. They use bars as pit stops on route to where ever they are headed!!!

Venice on 13:13 - Jun 8 with 1358 viewsonlyrinmoray

Venice on 10:45 - Apr 15 by qpr1976

What was Verona like ?

I'm heading to Lake Garda in august and plan a couple of day trips. Venice & Verona.....

Im off to Malcesine on Lake Garda in Sept There are bus trips to Verona from the Lake Ive been twice before so giving it a miss this time Its a nice city the amphitheatre is worth a visit takes about 2 hours on the bus
Back on the Lake Im planning a tandem paraglide off Monte Baldo something Ive always wanted to do Found what looks like a really nice vineyard visit as well
I wanted to visit Parma but its too difficult to get to for a day visit Im a Parma fan always wanted to see their ground
Venice on 13:49 - Jun 8 with 1342 viewsR_from_afar

Venice on 13:13 - Jun 8 by onlyrinmoray

Im off to Malcesine on Lake Garda in Sept There are bus trips to Verona from the Lake Ive been twice before so giving it a miss this time Its a nice city the amphitheatre is worth a visit takes about 2 hours on the bus
Back on the Lake Im planning a tandem paraglide off Monte Baldo something Ive always wanted to do Found what looks like a really nice vineyard visit as well
I wanted to visit Parma but its too difficult to get to for a day visit Im a Parma fan always wanted to see their ground

If you are into your archaeology and have transport, the rock carvings up in the Capo di Ponte area are very interesting. We went to see them when we were staying at Gargagno (an enchanting village on Lake Garda, if you don't know it): https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Drawings_in_Valcamonica

Have a great trip!

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Venice on 14:29 - Jun 8 with 1320 viewsqpr1976

Venice on 13:13 - Jun 8 by onlyrinmoray

Thanks.
2 hours back to Lake Garda ? Verona only looks 20 mins away on Google !
Still keen though.

Anyway Venice day trip booked and waiting for fixtures to come out before sorting Milan trip out. Will probably just get train in & out.

Guessing you like Lake Garda then.....?
Venice on 14:41 - Jun 8 with 1309 viewshopphoops

Venice on 14:29 - Jun 8 by qpr1976

Thanks.
2 hours back to Lake Garda ? Verona only looks 20 mins away on Google !
Still keen though.

Anyway Venice day trip booked and waiting for fixtures to come out before sorting Milan trip out. Will probably just get train in & out.

Guessing you like Lake Garda then.....?

Atalanta (Bergamo) also a local option, playing good football at the moment.

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

Venice on 15:19 - Jun 8 with 1298 viewshopphoops

Venice on 11:51 - Jun 8 by kingsburyR

Morning All,

Finally getting round to thanking you all. Venice is a wonderfully odd place and I absolutely loved it. I still favor Rome but for very different reasons.

Tre Archi was a fantastic end to the short break. (Crab Gnocchi followed by Pizza). Lovely loctaion and great staff. All the food was amazing. But huge thanks to you Drewster.

Also thanks to Konk for recommending lunch at Cantinone—già Schiavi , the cicheti was killer.

Thanks also for Hopphoops for the Clooney recommendation (private taxi from airport - what a way to see the first views of thew city). That really impressed Mrs K. We got the bus/boat back to the airport....not so glam!!

On top of that big thanks to all the rest of the comments, the 24 hrs vaperatto pass was well worth while. We did stick the map in our pocket and just follow our noses. Stopped and drank, walked , stopped and ate, walked some more (and repeat!).
Churches were amazing (I'm Catholic) so taking in mass at St Marks for the 10.30 singing mass was the closest i've ever come to a spiritual moment!!!

I would recommend Venice to anyone. Not sure I'd rush back as there plenty of other cities i want to see but everyone should see it at least once!!!

KR

P.S. Had a E20 Bellini in Harrys Bar. - Wasnt aware of a dress code but luckily we had dressed for the occasion purely by chance (it was 30 deg C over there but no smell at all). We got a odd enjoyment sitting at the bar making our call under our breath of who was getting turned around at the door. More got turned then got in!

P.P.S. Italians drink at the most bizarre parts of the day. They use bars as pit stops on route to where ever they are headed!!!

It all sounds great - glad the water taxi went down well!

A magnificent football club, the love of our lives, finding a way to finally have its day in the sun.
Poll: When will the next election date be announced?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024