Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Paul Simpson 18:54 - Jun 12 with 5210 viewsmidlandsdale

'The 50 year old has also managed Preston, Stockport County, Shrewsbury and Northwich Victoria'

Aggravating that 2 non league clubs get mentioned before his first managerial role!
Paul Simpson on 19:21 - Jun 12 with 3912 viewsSuddenLad

ITV (Granada Reports) mentioned us first, but ignored Carlisle....

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Paul Simpson on 19:26 - Jun 12 with 3891 viewsdeeplishblue

Paul Simpson on 19:21 - Jun 12 by SuddenLad

ITV (Granada Reports) mentioned us first, but ignored Carlisle....

Simpson has been manager of the under 20s since February. So either he has a massive impact in a short space of time......or most of the credit should go to aidy boothroyd.

Poll: Do you want bury to get promoted?

Paul Simpson on 19:51 - Jun 12 with 3816 viewsmidlandsdale

Paul Simpson on 19:26 - Jun 12 by deeplishblue

Simpson has been manager of the under 20s since February. So either he has a massive impact in a short space of time......or most of the credit should go to aidy boothroyd.

To be fair on the BBC piece I referred to earlier he says just this
Paul Simpson on 20:37 - Jun 12 with 3721 views1mark1

For us a superb player, but crap manager, but obviously doing a brilliant job to get the England U21s playing so well, and getting the results to. Well done, to him and everyone else invited in the success. Maybe he is like Steve Eyre, brilliant at coaching youngsters but crap at managing experienced professionals.

Poll: How much is your support for the Royals?

Paul Simpson on 21:07 - Jun 12 with 3651 viewsfitzochris

Paul Simpson on 20:37 - Jun 12 by 1mark1

For us a superb player, but crap manager, but obviously doing a brilliant job to get the England U21s playing so well, and getting the results to. Well done, to him and everyone else invited in the success. Maybe he is like Steve Eyre, brilliant at coaching youngsters but crap at managing experienced professionals.

He got Carlisle promoted twice, had Preston competing for a place in the Premier League and got Shrewsbury to a play-off final. I wouldn't say he was crap at managing experienced professionals.

By his own admission, he wasn't good enough when he was in charge of us.

Hell of a player, though. Tremendous impact when he signed for us.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Paul Simpson on 21:08 - Jun 12 with 3649 viewspioneer

Paul Simpson on 20:37 - Jun 12 by 1mark1

What an insult....mentioning Eyre-head in the same sentence as Paul Simpson.

On what basis was Eyre head brilliant coaching youngsters - you sound to be as gullible as the board of directors were.
Paul Simpson on 21:12 - Jun 12 with 3642 viewsTVOS1907

Paul Simpson on 21:07 - Jun 12 by fitzochris

He got Carlisle promoted twice, had Preston competing for a place in the Premier League and got Shrewsbury to a play-off final. I wouldn't say he was crap at managing experienced professionals.

Think you mean "Helluva player".

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Paul Simpson on 21:15 - Jun 12 with 3633 viewsBendy

Although to be fair to Simpson, he was good manager for us in the cup - didn't he get us to the 5th Round of the FA Cup (against Wolves). Perhaps that's his calling - cups and tournaments rather than day to day management
Login to get fewer ads

Paul Simpson on 21:17 - Jun 12 with 3625 viewsfitzochris

Paul Simpson on 21:12 - Jun 12 by TVOS1907

Think you mean "Helluva player".

Recreativo?

Paul Simpson on 21:17 - Jun 12 with 3625 views1mark1

Paul Simpson on 21:07 - Jun 12 by fitzochris

Point taken, forgot about his success elsewhere.

Paul Simpson on 21:17 - Jun 12 with 3618 viewsTVOS1907

Paul Simpson on 21:17 - Jun 12 by fitzochris

Recreativo?

Isn't that where Aldershot play?

Paul Simpson on 21:21 - Jun 12 with 3602 views1mark1

Paul Simpson on 21:08 - Jun 12 by pioneer

What an insult....mentioning Eyre-head in the same sentence as Paul Simpson.

On what basis was Eyre head brilliant coaching youngsters - you sound to be as gullible as the board of directors were.

Eyre was decent at coaching youngsters was he not? But definitely had no proven experience of coaching experienced pros. I certainly was not happy when he was appointed our manager, a very bad gamble tat failed.

Paul Simpson on 21:22 - Jun 12 with 3600 viewsColDale

I think I'm right in saying that we had the biggest drop in league position under Simpson from one season to the next, and his budget with us was a bloody good one too.

Played his part in helping Stockport leave the FL. Should always list that amongst his achievements.
Paul Simpson on 21:34 - Jun 12 with 3572 viewsfitzochris

Paul Simpson on 21:22 - Jun 12 by ColDale

I think I'm right in saying that we had the biggest drop in league position under Simpson from one season to the next, and his budget with us was a bloody good one too.

Played his part in helping Stockport leave the FL. Should always list that amongst his achievements.

The drop in League placings was made more severe by the final-day debacle at Macclesfield, too.

He spent his decent budget on three players, none of who worked out, not even Beech.

There were some great games, though. Wrexham away and Cambridge at home to name two. There was also the likes of Lincoln away to temper the good times, however.

Still, he did give us the FA Cup run.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 21:35]

Paul Simpson on 21:41 - Jun 12 with 3539 viewsTVOS1907

Paul Simpson on 21:34 - Jun 12 by fitzochris

The drop in League placings was made more severe by the final-day debacle at Macclesfield, too.

He spent his decent budget on three players, none of who worked out, not even Beech.

There were some great games, though. Wrexham away and Cambridge at home to name two. There was also the likes of Lincoln away to temper the good times, however.

Still, he did give us the FA Cup run.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 21:35]

Lincoln at home was particularly worse than Lincoln away.

Paul Simpson on 21:47 - Jun 12 with 3513 viewsoddjob007

Maybe I've mellowed in the 15 years since he was manager... but he has gone on and proved himself.

The board took a chance on him, as they did with Eyre and Hill, but this one backfired. He will probably admit himself that the role was too early for him, or he should have had a more experienced assistant (which I believe he did at Carlisle.)

Can you blame him for sticking it out for the season? The board should have been more forceful with a young manager, insisting he had someone of experience with him, or got rid sooner. Either way, the club and its leadership 15 years ago is completely different to today.

I'd put it down to a learning curve, for both the director's and Simmo himself.
Paul Simpson on 21:49 - Jun 12 with 3509 viewsfitzochris

Paul Simpson on 21:41 - Jun 12 by TVOS1907

Lincoln at home was particularly worse than Lincoln away.

I have to confess, the home game doesn't stick in my mind.

I remember the away fixture because a) we were so bad and b) Lee McEvily was sat behind us saying how bad Simpson was treating him and several other players.

Paul Simpson on 21:54 - Jun 12 with 3487 viewsTVOS1907

Paul Simpson on 21:47 - Jun 12 by oddjob007

Maybe I've mellowed in the 15 years since he was manager... but he has gone on and proved himself.

The board took a chance on him, as they did with Eyre and Hill, but this one backfired. He will probably admit himself that the role was too early for him, or he should have had a more experienced assistant (which I believe he did at Carlisle.)

Can you blame him for sticking it out for the season? The board should have been more forceful with a young manager, insisting he had someone of experience with him, or got rid sooner. Either way, the club and its leadership 15 years ago is completely different to today.

I'd put it down to a learning curve, for both the director's and Simmo himself.

Some fair points there, but as Fitzo will testify, he was told he had to bring in an experienced assistant at the end of his first season. Unfortunately, Simpson said he wanted to stick with Hoyland, which the Board didn't want, leading to his dismissal.

Paul Simpson on 22:08 - Jun 12 with 3446 viewspioneer

Paul Simpson on 21:21 - Jun 12 by 1mark1

Eyre was decent at coaching youngsters was he not? But definitely had no proven experience of coaching experienced pros. I certainly was not happy when he was appointed our manager, a very bad gamble tat failed.

Was he not?..you tell me...you claimed he was good coaching young players.

at best he was an assistant with the youth team and baby sat 14 year olds I think.
Paul Simpson on 22:27 - Jun 12 with 3388 viewsR17ALE

I think he was one of the best players I've ever seen in a Dale shirt. Yet he was also a bad manager.

But, he wanted to help the club do better for which I'm grateful.

I don't begrudge him his future success.

I felt Eyre wanted to use the club to help himself do better.

And therein lies the difference.

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

Paul Simpson on 22:38 - Jun 12 with 3366 viewsSteTsGoldenBoot

Paul Simpson on 22:08 - Jun 12 by pioneer

Was he not?..you tell me...you claimed he was good coaching young players.

at best he was an assistant with the youth team and baby sat 14 year olds I think.

Both Eyre and Simmo have made more money for their football talents, than all of us put together, so deserve a bit more respect for their coaching abilities :-)

Simmo was a cracking player for us, brought in £750,000 and showed great integrity by sticking by his best mate, he made mistakes, but I'm glad that he's doing well.

I'll also throw the hatred of Steve Parkin as a baffling one, another guy who did more good than bad for us, it didn't end great, but he gave us Grant Holt, Glenn Murray and the play offs.

I do think that we are pretty classy as Dale fans with ex employees, but the three mentioned above and Bobby Grant I just don't understand the hatred.
[Post edited 12 Jun 2017 22:40]

Everything thats been, has past. The answers in the looking glass!

Paul Simpson on 10:13 - Jun 13 with 3199 viewsnordenblue

Paul Simpson on 22:38 - Jun 12 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Both Eyre and Simmo have made more money for their football talents, than all of us put together, so deserve a bit more respect for their coaching abilities :-)

Simmo was a cracking player for us, brought in £750,000 and showed great integrity by sticking by his best mate, he made mistakes, but I'm glad that he's doing well.

I'll also throw the hatred of Steve Parkin as a baffling one, another guy who did more good than bad for us, it didn't end great, but he gave us Grant Holt, Glenn Murray and the play offs.

I do think that we are pretty classy as Dale fans with ex employees, but the three mentioned above and Bobby Grant I just don't understand the hatred.

Steve Eyre was proven worse than clueless and conned his way into a job he should never have got near,talking about classy I take it you weren't at the Carlisle away game then where Simmo ran out of his way to celebrate in front of us to rub it in, a nice way to repay a former employer and fans?
Paul Simpson on 10:20 - Jun 13 with 3190 viewsTVOS1907

Paul Simpson on 22:38 - Jun 12 by SteTsGoldenBoot

Parkin was a great manager for us and brought in several other players, in addition to Holt and Murray, who made the club good money in the long run. He also showed us that Dale could do well and make progress after three years of dross under Barrow. Parkin also brought Hill back to the club.

You're right, Simpson was a cracking player for us, but he was an awful manager. I think we lost something like 11 home games that season, including miserable midweek games against the likes of Kidderminster, Lincoln and Bristol Rovers. True, the FA Cup run was welcome and excellent, but in the long run, the league form did for him, as well as his blind loyalty to Hoyland.

Eyre was so classy that he got one of his lackeys, at games, to point out fans who criticised him. It probably still happens now.

There was also that 'lovecity' bloke...
[Post edited 13 Jun 2017 10:30]

Paul Simpson on 10:23 - Jun 13 with 3182 viewsScunnydale

Fair play to Simmo, he's done a great job with the U20s (regardless of how well Boothroyd did before him). To win any tournament is a great success.

As has been said, he was a brilliant player for us but a woeful manager. I still can't understand why everything we did on the pitch had to go through him. And I'll never forget the little s**t's celebration when he played Carlisle away. That said, I've mellowed against him in the 15 years since, and now wish him well.

On another note, I can't understand the dislike of Parkin. Arguably, he set in motion what we have today. It was him and Hollins (and him again) who gave us our first sniffs of success.
Paul Simpson on 11:06 - Jun 13 with 3118 viewsfermin

Paul Simpson on 10:23 - Jun 13 by Scunnydale

Fair play to Simmo, he's done a great job with the U20s (regardless of how well Boothroyd did before him). To win any tournament is a great success.

As has been said, he was a brilliant player for us but a woeful manager. I still can't understand why everything we did on the pitch had to go through him. And I'll never forget the little s**t's celebration when he played Carlisle away. That said, I've mellowed against him in the 15 years since, and now wish him well.

On another note, I can't understand the dislike of Parkin. Arguably, he set in motion what we have today. It was him and Hollins (and him again) who gave us our first sniffs of success.

I may be wrong but I think the dislike of Parkin is somewhat limited. His second spell wasn't that good but the first spell as you say was about the first time in ages that we had any prospect of success (with the exception of Bergara's team). My memory of the first spell was that we were pretty successful but mainly away from home, whereas at home we did not score that much. Perhaps others will contradict this!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024