Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Planet Swans 22:10 - Mar 26 with 27624 viewsPhil_S

So then...forum aside this site has become a little bit of a walking disaster over the last year (and more) as someone pointed out the other day the site rarely gets updated with news since the last writer got fed up of the abuse of doing so..!

Anyway, the good (!) news is that I have a couple of people prepared to write and I have some time that I can devote to it again. What I dont want to happen is the site to become a regurgitation of news elsewhere although news elsewhere can of course create opinion articles.

The question though is what do you - the good readers of Planet Swans (or as seems to be the one person with endless usernames) - want to see from the site going forward?
Planet Swans on 06:44 - Mar 28 with 1831 viewsSTID2017

Planet Swans on 22:48 - Mar 27 by E20Jack

I think the main problem with stricter modding is that it becomes selective. It becomes a licence to enforce the rules against the posters you don't like. The complaints are therefore justified. Consistency is all that is heeded and then it won't matter how strict mods are, people know the rules and will follow them. The issue is when said rules are in force and everyone sees certain people being exempt.

Correct.
The problem is we have rules (or as Phil pointed out guidelines), yet when some postt a generally offensive comment (as someone did recently about how we were due a win against Spurs, only with a hint towards their supposed Jewish links) it was rightly moderated.
The Res posted an openly abusive rant against me earlier on which I reported as being offensive, yet no action was taken.
It does make you wonder where is the sense of balance.
I am afraid the mods seem to display as much consistency ax PL refs!
It's not that I haven't heard language like this before, but there is a time and a place for it

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Planet Swans on 09:28 - Mar 28 with 1764 viewsmagicdaps10

Planet Swans on 06:44 - Mar 28 by STID2017

Correct.
The problem is we have rules (or as Phil pointed out guidelines), yet when some postt a generally offensive comment (as someone did recently about how we were due a win against Spurs, only with a hint towards their supposed Jewish links) it was rightly moderated.
The Res posted an openly abusive rant against me earlier on which I reported as being offensive, yet no action was taken.
It does make you wonder where is the sense of balance.
I am afraid the mods seem to display as much consistency ax PL refs!
It's not that I haven't heard language like this before, but there is a time and a place for it

Personally and this is my view and opinion.......as i say opinion, i think there needs to be a clamp down on here, not massive but that post further back from Res was absolutely disgusting.

Lets get something straight before i get the rebound, yes i probably have deserved a ban or two myself, so now that i have set that straight, no childish......well he started it rubbish.

The site has become viscous lately but that has crept in because of the "look here, i am right" attitude that has grown so much in recent months. Think the route here is to respect others opinion and take it on board.......open minds are needed more.

Again, i am not stating that i am not included in the above, because i am and i realise that.

Think there is some growing up needed on here, throw in a bit more open mindedness.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Planet Swans on 09:34 - Mar 28 with 1758 viewsWarwickHunt

Planet Swans on 23:06 - Mar 27 by lifelong

Did you know that Butterflies have inhabited our planet for, at least, 130 million years.

Caterpillars even longer.
Planet Swans on 09:37 - Mar 28 with 1752 viewsDr_Winston

Planet Swans on 23:06 - Mar 27 by lifelong

Did you know that Butterflies have inhabited our planet for, at least, 130 million years.

Sharks are older than trees.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Planet Swans on 09:41 - Mar 28 with 1742 viewsSTID2017

Planet Swans on 09:34 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

Caterpillars even longer.

Same scenario as "chicken or egg " surely?

Planet Swans on 09:42 - Mar 28 with 1737 viewsWarwickHunt

Planet Swans on 09:41 - Mar 28 by STID2017

Same scenario as "chicken or egg " surely?

FFS, don't start Dimi off again...
Planet Swans on 09:45 - Mar 28 with 1733 viewsNeath_Jack

Planet Swans on 09:28 - Mar 28 by magicdaps10

Personally and this is my view and opinion.......as i say opinion, i think there needs to be a clamp down on here, not massive but that post further back from Res was absolutely disgusting.

Lets get something straight before i get the rebound, yes i probably have deserved a ban or two myself, so now that i have set that straight, no childish......well he started it rubbish.

The site has become viscous lately but that has crept in because of the "look here, i am right" attitude that has grown so much in recent months. Think the route here is to respect others opinion and take it on board.......open minds are needed more.

Again, i am not stating that i am not included in the above, because i am and i realise that.

Think there is some growing up needed on here, throw in a bit more open mindedness.

You typed out a very similar statement last week, and within a couple of hours you were being abusive again.

Stick to what you are saying then you may have a decent argument.

And again, to clarify, this place and it's previous forums, have always had their nasty arguments, always will when you get different groups of people posting. It's how people react to it is the main factor. Only the posters names change.

I want a mate like Flashberryjacks, who wears a Barnsley jersey with "Swans are my second team" on the back.
Poll: Would you support military action against Syria on what we know so far?

Planet Swans on 09:50 - Mar 28 with 1721 viewsBobby_Fischer

Planet Swans on 09:42 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

Butterfly cakes are nice though, and he can't moan about that because I always make sure I buy the ones that contain quorn butterfly.

Poll: Who should take over from Jenkins?

Login to get fewer ads

Planet Swans on 09:53 - Mar 28 with 1710 viewsWarwickHunt

Planet Swans on 09:50 - Mar 28 by Bobby_Fischer

Butterfly cakes are nice though, and he can't moan about that because I always make sure I buy the ones that contain quorn butterfly.

I love a rock cake - plays havoc with my teeth though.

Humans weren't designed to eat rocks. Or something.
Planet Swans on 09:54 - Mar 28 with 1708 viewsmagicdaps10

Planet Swans on 09:45 - Mar 28 by Neath_Jack

You typed out a very similar statement last week, and within a couple of hours you were being abusive again.

Stick to what you are saying then you may have a decent argument.

And again, to clarify, this place and it's previous forums, have always had their nasty arguments, always will when you get different groups of people posting. It's how people react to it is the main factor. Only the posters names change.

I intend too.

I felt compelled to defend against the posts that were made after it, ridiculous and ignorant posts.

Now i just intend to leave them carry on in their own little fantasy.

Planet Swans on 09:54 - Mar 28 with 1707 viewsE20Jack

Planet Swans on 09:42 - Mar 28 by WarwickHunt

What was his response to that out of interest?

Poll: 6 point deduction and sellouts lose all their cash?

Planet Swans on 09:55 - Mar 28 with 1703 viewsSTID2017

Planet Swans on 09:50 - Mar 28 by Bobby_Fischer

Love Quorn mince and Quorn chicken.
Great for chilli, Bolognese, while the chicken is great for curry

Planet Swans on 10:10 - Mar 28 with 1686 viewsarfurjob

Generally I just lurk.

I used to run a car club website, which was very popular before family life and facebook took over.

It was the same story there, with envious people on the outside, looking in trying to upset what the website was about...purely because they weren't a moderator or someone that made decisions or it was deemed that there was some sort of profit being made off the back of their contribution.

Personal vendettas were created, forum and real life arguments ensued and this drove regulars away.

Differing opinions about football should be welcomed and the usual guff should rightly be moderated. Some peoples moral compasses are way out these days. Its a football forum at the end of the day and to think that "anything goes" in this day and age is probably a little out dated.
Planet Swans on 10:15 - Mar 28 with 1674 viewsSTID2017

Planet Swans on 10:10 - Mar 28 by arfurjob

Generally I just lurk.

I used to run a car club website, which was very popular before family life and facebook took over.

It was the same story there, with envious people on the outside, looking in trying to upset what the website was about...purely because they weren't a moderator or someone that made decisions or it was deemed that there was some sort of profit being made off the back of their contribution.

Personal vendettas were created, forum and real life arguments ensued and this drove regulars away.

Differing opinions about football should be welcomed and the usual guff should rightly be moderated. Some peoples moral compasses are way out these days. Its a football forum at the end of the day and to think that "anything goes" in this day and age is probably a little out dated.

Good balanced post
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 10:17]

Planet Swans on 10:15 - Mar 28 with 1674 viewsswan65split

Planet Swans on 10:10 - Mar 28 by arfurjob

Generally I just lurk.

exactly, times are changing, and there also has to be a position of moral responsibility.

Otherwise the site wont go through the roof , but down the pan.
Planet Swans on 10:18 - Mar 28 with 1663 viewsswan65split

Planet Swans on 22:02 - Mar 27 by thornabyswan

Try to keep up Phil has already said there is no point in bans.
So why don't you shut the fukc up you aching simpleton
If you can't beat them join them

Got to say , although I am extremely shattered and need a good night sleep, I was awoken several times last night, and this comment made me chuckle each time.
The wife thought the voices in my head were returning
Planet Swans on 11:10 - Mar 28 with 1626 viewsHighjack

Planet Swans on 09:28 - Mar 28 by magicdaps10

The site has become viscous?

Sort of sticky between solid and liquid?

Fair point.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Planet Swans on 11:27 - Mar 28 with 1607 viewsmagicdaps10

Planet Swans on 11:10 - Mar 28 by Highjack

Fair point.

didnt even notice that, very good......oxford dictionary exact aswell.

Planet Swans on 11:33 - Mar 28 with 1594 viewsSTID2017

Planet Swans on 11:10 - Mar 28 by Highjack

Fair point.

I'm not a fan of viscous
(one for the petrol heads amongst you)

Planet Swans on 11:38 - Mar 28 with 1591 viewsLord_Bony

Planet Swans on 10:15 - Mar 28 by swan65split

exactly, times are changing, and there also has to be a position of moral responsibility.

Otherwise the site wont go through the roof , but down the pan.

The moderators of this site can only act within the framework they are given.

So if we are told to clamp down on certain things then we will.

Similarly,if we are told ease up anything goes within reason then so be it.

I do agree the site won’t grow with new posters of a meeker disposition being put off from contributing sometimes.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"
Poll: iS tHERE lIFE aFTER dEATH

Planet Swans on 11:44 - Mar 28 with 1573 viewsSTID2017

Planet Swans on 11:38 - Mar 28 by Lord_Bony

The moderators of this site can only act within the framework they are given.

So if we are told to clamp down on certain things then we will.

Similarly,if we are told ease up anything goes within reason then so be it.

I do agree the site won’t grow with new posters of a meeker disposition being put off from contributing sometimes.

As a Mod, surely you have the right to modify a post that is openly abusive such as the one I reported to you and which you will surely be aware of anyway ?
Interesting to note that Phil, Lord Bony and Dr Winston have all read their "Abuse Reported" mails, yet not acted upon them ?
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 11:47]

Planet Swans on 11:47 - Mar 28 with 1570 viewsLord_Bony

Planet Swans on 11:44 - Mar 28 by STID2017

As a Mod, surely you have the right to modify a post that is openly abusive such as the one I reported to you and which you will surely be aware of anyway ?
Interesting to note that Phil, Lord Bony and Dr Winston have all read their "Abuse Reported" mails, yet not acted upon them ?
[Post edited 28 Mar 2018 11:47]

Well of course and yes I have on many occasions regardless of who the poster is.

The problem with abusive language is that it is part of the culture on here and cannot be policed all the time...this is not mumsnet.

I can modify the post but that won’t stop it in future.

So either ignore or give it right back seems to be the policy.

PROUD RECIPIENT OF THE THIRD PLANET SWANS LIFETIME ACHIEVEMENT AWARD. "Per ardua ad astra"

Planet Swans on 11:57 - Mar 28 with 1545 viewsSTID2017

Planet Swans on 11:47 - Mar 28 by Lord_Bony

Well of course and yes I have on many occasions regardless of who the poster is.

The problem with abusive language is that it is part of the culture on here and cannot be policed all the time...this is not mumsnet.

Sorry I am not in the habit of using such vile language on here or in real life, so whilst it may be deemed "part of culture" it doesn't make it acceptable.
No one is asking you to police it all the time - however it is expected that Mods take action when offence is highlighted to them
Of course you should modify the post, and warn the person to modify their use of language
I have not put anyone on ignore (as far as I know) and still leave the avenue open to have sensible debate or banter with The Res or anyone else.
As for give it right back, if I posted that someone was as he described in his post, I'd expect to be banned or at the very least see the post modified, as the Mods did with the Spurs one

Planet Swans on 11:58 - Mar 28 with 1544 viewsswan65split

Planet Swans on 11:47 - Mar 28 by Lord_Bony

Thank you for your reply to my previous comment quite "interesting!"
Regarding this post above.

the last comment may be the reason things may have escalated to what is now happening.
Planet Swans on 12:01 - Mar 28 with 1540 viewsLord_Bony

Planet Swans on 11:58 - Mar 28 by swan65split

Thank you for your reply to my previous comment quite "interesting!"
Regarding this post above.

the last comment may be the reason things may have escalated to what is now happening.

Well maybe the readers of Planet Swans should have a poll on how they want things moderated in future.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024