Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) 15:10 - Mar 10 with 15183 viewsRodingdale

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:17 - Mar 10 with 8886 viewsToffeemanc

Their twitter account suggests due to high winds!
Maybe they are still having problems with the condemned posts they had and they are in danger of blowing over?

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:19 - Mar 10 with 8839 viewsjudd

I was talking to one of their players earlier and he said it was on but since then I suppose the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

Poll: What is it to be then?

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:30 - Mar 10 with 8821 viewsToffeemanc

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:19 - Mar 10 by judd

I was talking to one of their players earlier and he said it was on but since then I suppose the weather has taken a turn for the worse.

One of the replies on their twitter suggests the posts weren't even up!
Anyone know if this is true?
If they weren't you have to think that they knew the game wasn't going to be played.

Poll: Now the club has refused to move on sesaon ticket prices what will you now do?

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:35 - Mar 10 with 8787 viewsToffeemanc

Confirmed and the posts weren't up as suggested.
http://hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk/article/52477/club-statement

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:48 - Mar 10 with 8743 viewshammerdale

Groundstaff couldn't get the covers offor or put the posts up.Doubt that would have been the case if it were Rochdale playing
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:49 - Mar 10 with 8708 viewsjudd

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 15:48 - Mar 10 by hammerdale

Groundstaff couldn't get the covers offor or put the posts up.Doubt that would have been the case if it were Rochdale playing

My thoughts as well.

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:22 - Mar 10 with 8599 viewsmingthemerciless

The covers were still in place and the posts weren't up. Hornets had volunteers ready to do both jobs and have a delayed kick off. The ground staff refused to do the job and refused any offers of help on the grounds of " Health and Safety ".

To most of us there it was obvious that the game would have been playable but ground staff had no intentions of letting the game go ahead. Over to the powers that be to sort this one out.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:30 - Mar 10 with 8552 viewsdingdangblue

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkcityknights/17490317.york-city-knights-mat

Its a BRILLIANT goal to cap a BRILLIANT start by Rochdale - Don Goodman 26/08/10
Poll: Are fans more annoyed losing or not playing Henderson centre forward?

Login to get fewer ads

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:36 - Mar 10 with 8518 viewsNinco

Yes, I spoke to one of the stewards. He said that after Dale played, they put the balloon on the pitch to keep it dry for Tuesday. I was there before 2pm and was told that they would have to take off the cover which would take time, then there may be a problem with the supports that hold the posts up, and the players would need to warm up, so it would not be off at 3pm. We were ushered towards the bar to keep dry and part with money. I then went back out before 3pm for an update and was told they were no further on. They were also stopping cars from using the car park to avoid having to give refunds and that caused a massive backlog of traffic. I got told that they were doing their best to get it on, but in the stewards opinion it wasn't going to happen. I left at that point but kept an eye on the web site and shortly after, they called it off.

I suppose had they took the cover off and it peed down, Dale would have wasted money on the pitch cover and some of the Hornets fans felt that we wanted it to be called off anyway as not much chance of a win.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:44 - Mar 10 with 8484 viewshammerdale

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:30 - Mar 10 by dingdangblue

https://www.yorkpress.co.uk/sport/yorkcityknights/17490317.york-city-knights-mat

Doubt there will be health and safety issues on Tuesday should the high winds persist.

Why couldn't the rugby posts be put up after the Rochdale match and before the covers were put on Today's shambles clearly influenced by Rochdale AfC.

Hope the Rochdale groundstaff don't join the fire brigade! !
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:47 - Mar 10 with 8464 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:44 - Mar 10 by hammerdale

Doubt there will be health and safety issues on Tuesday should the high winds persist.

Why couldn't the rugby posts be put up after the Rochdale match and before the covers were put on Today's shambles clearly influenced by Rochdale AfC.

Hope the Rochdale groundstaff don't join the fire brigade! !

Given the forecast I would have thought it would have been more sensible to put the rugby posts up at the same time as the goalposts were taken down yesterday.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:49 - Mar 10 with 8454 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:36 - Mar 10 by Ninco

Yes, I spoke to one of the stewards. He said that after Dale played, they put the balloon on the pitch to keep it dry for Tuesday. I was there before 2pm and was told that they would have to take off the cover which would take time, then there may be a problem with the supports that hold the posts up, and the players would need to warm up, so it would not be off at 3pm. We were ushered towards the bar to keep dry and part with money. I then went back out before 3pm for an update and was told they were no further on. They were also stopping cars from using the car park to avoid having to give refunds and that caused a massive backlog of traffic. I got told that they were doing their best to get it on, but in the stewards opinion it wasn't going to happen. I left at that point but kept an eye on the web site and shortly after, they called it off.

I suppose had they took the cover off and it peed down, Dale would have wasted money on the pitch cover and some of the Hornets fans felt that we wanted it to be called off anyway as not much chance of a win.

Nobody I know from Hornets wanted the game called off. The blustery conditions would have been a great leveller.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:49 - Mar 10 with 8451 viewsNinco

I wonder if Hornets still get charged by Dale for the use of the ground if they can't get the game on? Must have lost a fair bit with having to pay stewards and turnstile checkers and player wages.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:54 - Mar 10 with 8419 viewsRAFCBLUE

A postponement on Tuesday is bad for the football club's attempt to get out of the relegation zone. Tuesday is another must win.

The pitch didn't look in the best of conditions yesterday and a game on it on Sunday and then another on Tuesday might not be the best thing.

I'm not convinced 3 games of sport in 4 days would be good for the pitch.

The fact they took the football posts out at least gives some indication they tried to get a game on.

But I'm not sure how long it takes to get some posts up for rugby league.

Had that been a Dale game, I can't imagine at 2pm for a 3pm kick off the covers would be on and posts not up.

George Bernard Shaw had it right: "He who can does; he who cannot, teaches." https://www.visittheusa.co.uk/
Poll: EGM - which way are you voting?

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:00 - Mar 10 with 8379 viewsmingthemerciless

Something has gone badly wrong with the pitch in the last five years or so. When Hornets first started sharing the ground both teams played on it in winter. Summer rugby came later. I don't know about the football club reserve side but Hornets " A " team also played games on the same pitch. We didn't have anything like the problems that we are seeing now.

This as been one of the mildest winters for quite a while, Hornets have played about 4 games on it and had 3 called off.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:03 - Mar 10 with 8353 viewsTVOS1907

'a massive backlog of traffic'

Really? This is a Hornets game we're talking about.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:05 - Mar 10 with 8342 viewsVivaDonaldo

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:47 - Mar 10 by mingthemerciless

Given the forecast I would have thought it would have been more sensible to put the rugby posts up at the same time as the goalposts were taken down yesterday.

Potentially, putting the posts up would have stopped the rain cover hired at some cost from being utilised.

Pitch then would be sodden and whilst that might not have stopped the rugby it surely would have left the pitch in no shape to host football on Tuesday.

End of the day it's the football club that are keeping the stadium company going and the football clubs interest ought to be considered first.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:07 - Mar 10 with 8328 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:05 - Mar 10 by VivaDonaldo

Potentially, putting the posts up would have stopped the rain cover hired at some cost from being utilised.

Pitch then would be sodden and whilst that might not have stopped the rugby it surely would have left the pitch in no shape to host football on Tuesday.

End of the day it's the football club that are keeping the stadium company going and the football clubs interest ought to be considered first.

The football club are bound by contract to provide the facilities for the rugby club to play on. Today they didn't.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:11 - Mar 10 with 8293 viewsVivaDonaldo

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:07 - Mar 10 by mingthemerciless

The football club are bound by contract to provide the facilities for the rugby club to play on. Today they didn't.

The weather was the reason though. Not the football club. However advantageous it was.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:29 - Mar 10 with 8235 viewsmingthemerciless

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:11 - Mar 10 by VivaDonaldo

The weather was the reason though. Not the football club. However advantageous it was.

That's not Hornets problem, we are only tenants. I' have my doubts as to how motivated the football club was to get today's game on right from the start. Lots of people travelled over from York for a game that in my opinion was never going to be played as a result of very cynical behaviour.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:31 - Mar 10 with 8203 viewsjudd

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:29 - Mar 10 by mingthemerciless

That's not Hornets problem, we are only tenants. I' have my doubts as to how motivated the football club was to get today's game on right from the start. Lots of people travelled over from York for a game that in my opinion was never going to be played as a result of very cynical behaviour.

Purely as a matter of interest but amateur club Rochdale Mayfield hosted 8 games on 3 pitches this morning. Posts were already up.

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:35 - Mar 10 with 8203 viewsVivaDonaldo

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:29 - Mar 10 by mingthemerciless

Well I suppose Hornets, much like the football club, have to make a decision on the likelihood of the game going ahead and manage the away team and their support appropriately.

There's been times that Dale games have been called off late too. And it was very windy. Maybe it's all just genuine?

Not everything is a conspiracy against the rugby club.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 18:21 - Mar 10 with 8075 viewshammerdale

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 16:22 - Mar 10 by mingthemerciless

The covers were still in place and the posts weren't up. Hornets had volunteers ready to do both jobs and have a delayed kick off. The ground staff refused to do the job and refused any offers of help on the grounds of " Health and Safety ".

To most of us there it was obvious that the game would have been playable but ground staff had no intentions of letting the game go ahead. Over to the powers that be to sort this one out.

Quite obvious to me Rochdale Football Club did not want the game to go ahead.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 18:30 - Mar 10 with 8036 viewsNinco

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 17:03 - Mar 10 by TVOS1907

'a massive backlog of traffic'

Really? This is a Hornets game we're talking about.

The traffic was not all people going to the rugby. The gates were closed, so as fans were arriving, they were stopping in the middle of the road and questioning the stewards on why they weren't being allowed in and where they could park. The build up of traffic was people stuck behind them who couldn't get past while they were blocking the road.
Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 19:05 - Mar 10 with 7946 viewsThacks_Rabbits

Hornets game called off?? (n/t) on 18:30 - Mar 10 by Ninco

The traffic was not all people going to the rugby. The gates were closed, so as fans were arriving, they were stopping in the middle of the road and questioning the stewards on why they weren't being allowed in and where they could park. The build up of traffic was people stuck behind them who couldn't get past while they were blocking the road.

In fairness 4 people and a whippet called graham would have struggled to help remove the covers, and had one of them have been injured helping, when they had no training in what to do, somebody would be liable.

It’s not like shifting a bit of snow and with the weather as it is, would have been a farce. Even in the arsenal game it was clear the wind was causing havoc and players were looking amateurs at times with touch and passing. How you could play rugby in this weather I have no idea.

I have no time for hornets, due to past piss taking, but I don’t wish them to go under, just ensure that they get their house in order, hopefully it is now.

Every Team Needs A John Ryan - The Winger Who's a Ringer!!!!!
Poll: Which player would you rather have if Twitter rumour is correct (unlikely)

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024