Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can of worms 20:20 - Jun 8 with 5837 viewsdickythorpe

When I was a child this war hero was celebrated for fighting for his country.
Thanks to "revisionism" a monument that has stood for nigh on 150 years should "they" say be pulled down!!
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/picton-carmarthen-cardiff-black-li
Can of worms on 09:02 - Jun 9 with 1586 viewsHighjack

Can of worms on 23:05 - Jun 8 by Jack_Meoff

When I was a child Jimmy Savile was celebrated for being utterly altruistic, a benevolent maker of children's dreams coming true, as well as being a friend of the royals and politicians of the day. Little did we know of his real role as a fixer, the little rapscallion.

He was never celebrated. I don’t think many ever saw him as any more than a creepy oddball.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.
Poll: Should Dippy Drakeford do us all a massive favour and just bog off?

Can of worms on 09:11 - Jun 9 with 1567 viewsBest_loser

Can of worms on 09:02 - Jun 9 by Highjack

He was never celebrated. I don’t think many ever saw him as any more than a creepy oddball.

Maybe that's why Maggie had him visit her at Christmas

2 creepy oddballs together
Can of worms on 09:18 - Jun 9 with 1558 viewsHighjack

Can of worms on 01:50 - Jun 9 by Jack123

The point is though where do you stop? Let's rip up all our history, Oh yeah and when we are finished with that let's start with the other races history and go through it with a fine tooth comb, to smash the fck out of it, it would be even better if we move to their country and do it.

Yeah where is the line? Cromwell was a very naughty boy indeed. Gandhi was undoubtedly racist, in his younger days at least. Morcambe and wise probably made some jokes that would be offensive now. Yank their statue down too. Didn’t Freddie Mercury body shame women with big bums? Off with his statue too.

The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which.

Can of worms on 09:21 - Jun 9 with 1550 viewsLeonWasGod

Can of worms on 09:02 - Jun 9 by Highjack

He did loads for kids charities though, so I don't see why we can't have more statues of him. He was a real patriot
Can of worms on 09:26 - Jun 9 with 1542 viewsBest_loser

Farage on gmtv saying what happened in Bristol was like the Taliban destroying things in Afghanistan

Hope there is a statue of him one day

Showing future generations who ruined this country
Can of worms on 09:55 - Jun 9 with 1511 viewsdickythorpe

Nelson Mandela..........
Can of worms on 10:40 - Jun 9 with 1481 viewsHighjack

Can of worms on 09:26 - Jun 9 by Best_loser

Farage on gmtv saying what happened in Bristol was like the Taliban destroying things in Afghanistan

Hope there is a statue of him one day

Showing future generations who ruined this country

It’s a fair analogy, the destruction of historical monuments for an ideological purpose carried out with almost religious fervour. It is horrendous behaviour regardless of what a scumbag the Bristol bloke was in real life.

Can of worms on 10:41 - Jun 9 with 1478 viewschad

Can of worms on 21:07 - Jun 8 by Joe_bradshaw

Statues are going to become very much a thing of the past at this rate. Whilst I am in complete agreement with the sentiments about these historical figures I am somewhat uncomfortable with judging people from long ago by 21st Century values.

Lisa and I have got our work cut out, I do have ropes and am used to felling trees. But tearing all the pages out of every book is going to be a bugger.

Yet we have posters to this day authoritatively quoting Napoleon (hi Prof)

In fact I imagine most male heroes were grossly sexist back in the day

And all those children up chimneys- let’s get Victoria off her plinth

Then there were the people who were the ones that already kept slaves and actually sold their own country people to the foreign slave traders. How are the African demos going?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/my-great-grandfather-the-nige

One day even experimenting on chickens may universally be reviled as all life is precious (hi prof)
Login to get fewer ads

Can of worms on 10:58 - Jun 9 with 1456 viewsBest_loser

Can of worms on 10:40 - Jun 9 by Highjack

It’s a fair analogy, the destruction of historical monuments for an ideological purpose carried out with almost religious fervour. It is horrendous behaviour regardless of what a scumbag the Bristol bloke was in real life.

I'm not bothered about the colson statue either way

Comparing those people in Bristol to the Taliban just seems extreme to me

Your entitled to agree with farage though
Can of worms on 11:03 - Jun 9 with 1446 viewsparkside

Can of worms on 09:18 - Jun 9 by Highjack

Yeah where is the line? Cromwell was a very naughty boy indeed. Gandhi was undoubtedly racist, in his younger days at least. Morcambe and wise probably made some jokes that would be offensive now. Yank their statue down too. Didn’t Freddie Mercury body shame women with big bums? Off with his statue too.

The statue of Morecambe and Wise has been punished enough. It's in Morecambe for a start. If that ain't bad enough it faces a men's public bog with so many Glory Holes I thought there'd been a gun battle in there.
Can of worms on 11:03 - Jun 9 with 1445 viewsWarwickHunt

Can of worms on 10:41 - Jun 9 by chad

Lisa and I have got our work cut out, I do have ropes and am used to felling trees. But tearing all the pages out of every book is going to be a bugger.

Then there were the people who were the ones that already kept slaves and actually sold their own country people to the foreign slave traders. How are the African demos going?

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/my-great-grandfather-the-nige

One day even experimenting on chickens may universally be reviled as all life is precious (hi prof)

“Je reviens en trois jours; ne te laves pas!”
Can of worms on 11:04 - Jun 9 with 1442 viewsHighjack

Can of worms on 10:58 - Jun 9 by Best_loser

I'm not bothered about the colson statue either way

Comparing those people in Bristol to the Taliban just seems extreme to me

Your entitled to agree with farage though

Pulling down a statue is fairly extreme to be fair.

It’s not something normal people do on an everyday basis.

Can of worms on 11:05 - Jun 9 with 1437 viewsJoe_bradshaw

I wonder what attitudes and views that we hold today will be considered offensive in a couple of hundred years. I don’t mean extremists, I mean generally held, currently acceptable opinions and practices.

Planet Swans Prediction League Winner Season 2013-14. Runner up 2014_15.
Poll: How many points clear of relegation will we be on Saturday night?

Can of worms on 11:06 - Jun 9 with 1430 viewsfelixstowe_jack

I hear that Washington county Durham will now have to be renamed as George Washington was a slave owner. They will also have to blow up part of mount Rushmore as his face is carved into the rock. Wonder if the will also rename Washington DC and Washington state as well as the Washington monument.

Blackpool will also have to be renamed as is was much loved in Victorian times by holiday going white people.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Can of worms on 11:16 - Jun 9 with 1421 viewschad

Can of worms on 11:03 - Jun 9 by WarwickHunt

“Je reviens en trois jours; ne te laves pas!”

Ich warte mit angehaltenem Atem
Can of worms on 11:46 - Jun 9 with 1400 viewsHighjack

Can of worms on 10:41 - Jun 9 by chad

Can of worms on 11:58 - Jun 9 with 1393 viewschad

Can of worms on 11:06 - Jun 9 by felixstowe_jack

I hear that Washington county Durham will now have to be renamed as George Washington was a slave owner. They will also have to blow up part of mount Rushmore as his face is carved into the rock. Wonder if the will also rename Washington DC and Washington state as well as the Washington monument.

Blackpool will also have to be renamed as is was much loved in Victorian times by holiday going white people.

Now then, now then, Blackpool, one step too far.

I wonder if those that pulled down the statue in Bristol, see the irony, that it is they that are reaping the benefits of the slave trade, by living there, statue or not.

One young lady saw it, very conflicted as her school was built by Colston (not literally I presume).

Some may even be descendants of the Africans that sold the slaves to the traders.

Life and history complex things, but it is there to be learned from, not esponged or glorified nor rewritten. But a document of its time.
Can of worms on 21:08 - Jun 9 with 1337 viewsJack123

This is not going to end well.

libera nos a malo

Can of worms on 21:18 - Jun 9 with 1317 viewsHumpty

Can of worms on 11:58 - Jun 9 by chad

Now then, now then, Blackpool, one step too far.

I wonder if those that pulled down the statue in Bristol, see the irony, that it is they that are reaping the benefits of the slave trade, by living there, statue or not.

One young lady saw it, very conflicted as her school was built by Colston (not literally I presume).

Some may even be descendants of the Africans that sold the slaves to the traders.

Life and history complex things, but it is there to be learned from, not esponged or glorified nor rewritten. But a document of its time.

The people who want to remove the statue want the history to be known. Its the local tory councillors who want to deny people knowing the history.
Can of worms on 21:20 - Jun 9 with 1314 viewsLohengrin

Can of worms on 20:28 - Jun 8 by exiledclaseboy

I’d call it more re-evaluation than revisionism. I’d never heard of the bloke before but according to that Western Mail article he “...executed dozens of slaves as governor of the island and notoriously authorised the torture of a 14-year-old girl.”

I don’t understand why Thomas Picton isn’t a household name in Wales? I could talk about him for hours but I’ll just narrow it down to one action, his last in a swashbuckling life. One brief window in time when the future of Europe and the fate of these Islands hung in the balance.

Picture this: It’s 13:30 on the afternoon of the 18th June 1815 and a blazing sun is beating down on the exhausted, badly outnumbered troops at La Haye Sainte, the centre of Wellington’s overstretched line. Blucher’s whereabouts are unknown and Napoleon sensing his moment has arrived sends in d’Erlon’s elite 1st Army Corps to smash a path through to Brussels. On they come, column after column gaining momentum with every drumbeat.

The line buckles but doesn’t break. More flags and Imperial Eagles now begin to surmount the ridge. Napoleon watches on pacing back and forth, hands clasped behind his back, demanding of his staff “where’s Picton? Where’s Picton?” Such was the fearsome reputation he had garnered on the Peninsula that even the Emperor himself was anxious as to where the hammer would fall.

Suddenly there he was leading a desperate bayonet charge at the head of the old 32nd that smashed into d’Erlon’s flank with such ferocity the attack stalled then amid the carnage dissolved in disarray. The scene of his greatest triumph was also his last. Picton fell shot through the temple. His determination was such that he had kept secret the fact that he had been shot through the stomach and ribs the night before at Quatre Bras, he had his wounds bound tight and endured excruciating pain that he could be on the stage for the final act.

A hero boys and girls without question.

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Can of worms on 21:31 - Jun 9 with 1295 viewsFlashberryjack

Can of worms on 09:21 - Jun 9 by LeonWasGod

He did loads for kids charities though, so I don't see why we can't have more statues of him. He was a real patriot

Say what you like about good old Jimmy, I wrote to "Jim'll fix it" when I was a kid asking him to fix it so I could milk a cow.

He fixed it for me straightaway, the blindfold puzzled me a bit though.

I've still got the "Jimmy fixed it for me" badge.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Can of worms on 21:38 - Jun 9 with 1278 viewsHumpty

Can of worms on 21:31 - Jun 9 by Flashberryjack

Say what you like about good old Jimmy, I wrote to "Jim'll fix it" when I was a kid asking him to fix it so I could milk a cow.

He fixed it for me straightaway, the blindfold puzzled me a bit though.

I've still got the "Jimmy fixed it for me" badge.

The original was funny.

Can of worms on 21:42 - Jun 9 with 1267 viewsFlashberryjack

Can of worms on 21:38 - Jun 9 by Humpty

The original was funny.

It was.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Can of worms on 04:15 - Jun 10 with 1208 viewsNotLoyal

Can of worms on 21:56 - Jun 8 by Darran

He didn’t get a chance you left a message in the bogs and ran like fućk.

Don't you fcking start, at least I can run.
I wasn't referring to dgts loss of face and lies I was referring to a recent comment he agreed with, but then I don't drink so I remember quite a lot.
But it's no big deal, I think yiur both a pair of cnts 😉

OK I've changed it.
Poll: The FINALS : Poster of the year 2022

Can of worms on 07:18 - Jun 10 with 1169 viewsdickythorpe

Can of worms on 21:20 - Jun 9 by Lohengrin

I don’t understand why Thomas Picton isn’t a household name in Wales? I could talk about him for hours but I’ll just narrow it down to one action, his last in a swashbuckling life. One brief window in time when the future of Europe and the fate of these Islands hung in the balance.

Picture this: It’s 13:30 on the afternoon of the 18th June 1815 and a blazing sun is beating down on the exhausted, badly outnumbered troops at La Haye Sainte, the centre of Wellington’s overstretched line. Blucher’s whereabouts are unknown and Napoleon sensing his moment has arrived sends in d’Erlon’s elite 1st Army Corps to smash a path through to Brussels. On they come, column after column gaining momentum with every drumbeat.

The line buckles but doesn’t break. More flags and Imperial Eagles now begin to surmount the ridge. Napoleon watches on pacing back and forth, hands clasped behind his back, demanding of his staff “where’s Picton? Where’s Picton?” Such was the fearsome reputation he had garnered on the Peninsula that even the Emperor himself was anxious as to where the hammer would fall.

Suddenly there he was leading a desperate bayonet charge at the head of the old 32nd that smashed into d’Erlon’s flank with such ferocity the attack stalled then amid the carnage dissolved in disarray. The scene of his greatest triumph was also his last. Picton fell shot through the temple. His determination was such that he had kept secret the fact that he had been shot through the stomach and ribs the night before at Quatre Bras, he had his wounds bound tight and endured excruciating pain that he could be on the stage for the final act.

A hero boys and girls without question.

Picton, fighting against a man who believed women should be slaves.
I was taught he was a hero, nothing has changed.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 7:18]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024