Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Can of worms 20:20 - Jun 8 with 5522 viewsdickythorpe

When I was a child this war hero was celebrated for fighting for his country.
Thanks to "revisionism" a monument that has stood for nigh on 150 years should "they" say be pulled down!!
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/picton-carmarthen-cardiff-black-li
Can of worms on 12:54 - Jun 10 with 531 viewsCatullus

Can of worms on 12:37 - Jun 10 by sherpajacob

Education is key, but broad based and balanced education as opposed to the Daily mail version of history.

I remember reading a primary school history book that had "boys own" illustrations of Clive of India portraying him as a demi god bringing civilisation to the savages. Many of these heroes of yore were lauded when racism and imperialism were both acceptable and legal.

Racism is no longer legal or acceptable, but it appears many would like it to be and they certainly want a return to British imperialism.

Education of all sides of the story is essential and its fair to say for centuries only one side has been presented to the vast majority.

The Daily Mail doesn't educate, like most of the other media news it's misinforms, spins and misrepresents to meet it's own agenda.

When I said educate I quite literally meant schools, colleges and universities. My problem being that for the last 2 years of my sons education in his previous school both my wife and myself felt he wasn't being taught to think but taught WHAT to think.

He came home with an opinion of Trump one day, not that we disagreed with what he said but we asked him why he thought that, the answer was it was what teacher had said. We had words with his teacher at parents evening. He's not at that school anymore, it has gone right downhill and several other parents agreed with us. Several teachers have left there, unhappy at how things are too. We didn't move him because of that but it contributed in the end.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Can of worms on 12:56 - Jun 10 with 527 viewsHumpty

Can of worms on 09:31 - Jun 10 by chad

The plaque clearly stated his involvement in the slave trade and its consequences and was ready to go up. It was the Labour Mayor who vetoed it...

“However, after the plaque was cast, its installation was vetoed in March 2019 by Bristol's mayor, Marvin Rees”

* Rees is a member of the Labour Party not Conservative.
* In September 2017, Rees was placed at Number 78 in "The 100 Most Influential People on the Left" by commentator Iain Dale
* In the 2020 Powerlist, Rees was listed in the Top 100 of the most influential people in the UK of African/African-Caribbean descent

So presumably not a Tory Councillor.

I repeated what was said on a radio programme. Apologies for getting some of it wrong. Just don't tell Glossy FFS.

You're right that it was vetoed by Rees, a descendent of African slaves, but he vetoed it because the proposed plaque was a watered down version to what they wanted. The plaque he vetoed minimized Colston's role in the slave trade, omitted the number of child slaves involved and focused on how Africans were the original slavers.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2020 13:00]
Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'BeGambleAware' Logo for 'GamStop' Gambling 18+
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024