Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
According to the Times 20:00 - Nov 9 with 1331 views56years

Saturday was the 52nd time we have lost in the first round of the FA Cup - a record apparently. To add to the number of times we applied for re-election I think.
TVOS will advise I am sure, I certainly remember when I was younger we seemed to do both most years!
According to the Times on 20:32 - Nov 9 with 1279 viewsTVOS1907

The Times' figure is probably right, but it's twisting statistics a bit.

Since 1925/26, we've always played in the first round without having to qualify for it, so that's getting on for around 90 first round ties!

Some clubs (such as Saturday's opponents) haven't even reached that stage a few times since they dropped out of the league or, when they were in the second tier, didn't come in until the third round.

In fact, thinking about it, I bet we're the only team who has been in the first round draw in every season since 1925/26, so we're obviously more likely to have been knocked out in it more than anyone else!

On the flip side, Saturday's loss ended a run of seven consecutive first round wins, while it was our first defeat to a non-league team in nine ties.

I bet there aren't many other clubs with such a good record over the same period.

We've applied for re-election six times. Crewe (7) and Hartlepool (11) are ahead of us, while there are four other clubs also on six (Barrow, Halifax, Southport & York). When the likes of Stockport and Bury fans quote us as "always applying for re-election", they do so without backing it up with facts!

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

According to the Times on 20:43 - Nov 9 with 1255 viewsEllDale

All northern clubs!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024