Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale 20:00 - Jan 21 with 18840 viewsRochdaleAFC.com

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/53978/match-preview-gilling

If you want to remove this post from the board index, just click the hide post icon below. To hide all our news posts click the ignore user icon under the avatar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 14:54 - Jan 24 with 2033 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 13:57 - Jan 24 by firgrovedale51

If we get a full back in Keohane can play in his proper position in midfield

I have wondered if Keohane could play the central defensive midfielder role. He's not exactly nasty or physical but he's had alot of defensive experience over the last couple of years and he can definitely do all the simple stuff to help keep possession.

Think I'd still like an enforcer even if it wasn't a first team starter it could be someone who comes on to sure us up.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 16:11 - Jan 24 with 1882 viewselectricblue

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 13:10 - Jan 24 by TVOS1907

How did he celebrate it?

Happy smiling an excited for the other player to score after setting him up.....
It was the way he celebrated that caught my eye........

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 17:18 - Jan 24 with 1786 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 14:54 - Jan 24 by boromat

I have wondered if Keohane could play the central defensive midfielder role. He's not exactly nasty or physical but he's had alot of defensive experience over the last couple of years and he can definitely do all the simple stuff to help keep possession.

Think I'd still like an enforcer even if it wasn't a first team starter it could be someone who comes on to sure us up.

It could be argued not many of our players are nasty or physical and those that are aren't great at it and find themselves in the refs note book.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 17:58 - Jan 24 with 1717 viewsEllDale

We seem to pick up too many bookings for petulance or ill discipline as opposed to genuinely full blooded, bruising tackles.
Lund picked up a crazy one yesterday and was treading on thin ice for the rest of the game.
Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:00 - Jan 24 with 1712 viewsDaleiLama

For the avoidance of doubt and fwiw I don't expect the season to be stopped as of now so I expect ppg will just be one performance metric amongst many. As TVOS rightly points out (just as with shares) past performance doesn't necessarily reflect future potential. But after half a season, in my view, it is ignored at your peril.

Dale have a maximum of 69 points still to play for. I share Shun's optimism, and think we are too good and have too much desire and fight to go down. That being said, psychology can be a fragile thing and I don't want the season to potentially come down to a last game "who wants it most" type of shoot out if we can skew the odds in our favour before then.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:07 - Jan 24 with 1695 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:00 - Jan 24 by DaleiLama

For the avoidance of doubt and fwiw I don't expect the season to be stopped as of now so I expect ppg will just be one performance metric amongst many. As TVOS rightly points out (just as with shares) past performance doesn't necessarily reflect future potential. But after half a season, in my view, it is ignored at your peril.

Dale have a maximum of 69 points still to play for. I share Shun's optimism, and think we are too good and have too much desire and fight to go down. That being said, psychology can be a fragile thing and I don't want the season to potentially come down to a last game "who wants it most" type of shoot out if we can skew the odds in our favour before then.

Surely if you skew the odds in your favour, the PPG takes care of itself anyway? It’s the former I’m advocating for.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:11 - Jan 24 with 1686 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 16:11 - Jan 24 by electricblue

Happy smiling an excited for the other player to score after setting him up.....
It was the way he celebrated that caught my eye........

Isn't that how most players celebrate goals?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:12 - Jan 24 with 1690 viewsJames1980

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 17:58 - Jan 24 by EllDale

We seem to pick up too many bookings for petulance or ill discipline as opposed to genuinely full blooded, bruising tackles.
Lund picked up a crazy one yesterday and was treading on thin ice for the rest of the game.

Could this be a side effect of the team all being bezzie mates, in training no one wants to put in a decent challenge and potential hurt (not injure) their mate.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Login to get fewer ads

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:14 - Jan 24 with 1684 viewsEllDale

I see that Keohane has been picked at leftback in the just announced EFL League One Team of the Week......
Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:16 - Jan 24 with 1676 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:00 - Jan 24 by DaleiLama

That makes not dropping points to the teams around us more crucial.

As 442 was at pains to explain yesterday, if we beat, say, Bristol Rovers on Saturday, it's like gaining six points over them.

Alas, we have already failed to beat them, AFC Wimbledon and Northampton, but on the flip side, we took seven points out of 12 from Wigan, Swindon and Burton.

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:18 - Jan 24 with 1674 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:14 - Jan 24 by EllDale

I see that Keohane has been picked at leftback in the just announced EFL League One Team of the Week......

That will be for his two goals rather than the defensive side of his fullbackery. Not taking anything away from his two finishes, though. Very good they were, as were the passages of play that led to them.

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:42 - Jan 24 with 1648 viewsDaleiLama

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:07 - Jan 24 by fitzochris

Surely if you skew the odds in your favour, the PPG takes care of itself anyway? It’s the former I’m advocating for.

Absolutely. I feel that after conceding as many goals as we have so far, the solution isn't in-house. If it was/is, we wouldn't be staring down both barrels at the half way point.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 21:34 - Jan 24 with 1449 viewsboromat

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 18:18 - Jan 24 by fitzochris

That will be for his two goals rather than the defensive side of his fullbackery. Not taking anything away from his two finishes, though. Very good they were, as were the passages of play that led to them.

On the first goal the video footage shows Keohane losing his man but I'd like to know what McLaughlin was doing. There were 2 free men at the back post and out of our 2 defenders only Keohane was attempting a recovery, for all we know he was covering for McLaughlin but it's hard to say. The problem with not being at the game I suppose.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 11:14 - Jan 25 with 1222 viewsAtThePeake

This has developed into a really interesting thread with good points being made everywhere. A few general things I'd like to mention really.

I'll hold my hands up and say that I shouldn't have been quite so definitive in what I said on Twitter regarding signings and them keeping us up or not. Of course it's not as black and white as us going down if we don't sign 3 players. I still think we're likely to if we don't though. Given that we've rarely been more than a point or two above the bottom four, assuming we will stay there is a dangerous game.

On the PPG point, our current rate would have us finishing on a total of 46. The 2011/2012 season was the last time that 46 points would've been enough to keep a team in L1. Of course, all the teams below us are set to finish on fewer at the moment, but as things stand, I'd argue the other teams around us are more likely to improve in the second half of the season. That's just based on the fact that every team below us has made two or more additions to their squad so far in January and I'd suspect they have better injury records than us too although I obviously don't know that for certain. We may be happy to keep things going as they are as it has kept our heads above the water so far, but you can guarantee the teams below us aren't taking the same approach and will expect to improve in the second half of the season.

The positivity on Twitter is balanced out by the negativity on Facebook in my opinion. I still think more of our fans are disproportionately negative in their assessments on BBM over all of the platforms. It's why I think this forum is the best place for the discussion, as most of the points are at least given some thought and can be expressed in more than 280 characters. Most. There are still some who are quick to call for BBM's head here in half of those characters every time we fall behind though.

As for the supposed EFL experts, what I will say about them is that they do at least have an objective view of the situation even if they don't watch enough of us to be able to have a fully-formed opinion. As fans, we can never be truly objective. They don't know the half of what we know as fans, but they are able to look at the situation with detachment so shouldn't be dismissed completely - and some are worth listening to more than others.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 12:25 - Jan 25 with 1155 viewsTVOS1907

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 11:14 - Jan 25 by AtThePeake

This has developed into a really interesting thread with good points being made everywhere. A few general things I'd like to mention really.

I'll hold my hands up and say that I shouldn't have been quite so definitive in what I said on Twitter regarding signings and them keeping us up or not. Of course it's not as black and white as us going down if we don't sign 3 players. I still think we're likely to if we don't though. Given that we've rarely been more than a point or two above the bottom four, assuming we will stay there is a dangerous game.

On the PPG point, our current rate would have us finishing on a total of 46. The 2011/2012 season was the last time that 46 points would've been enough to keep a team in L1. Of course, all the teams below us are set to finish on fewer at the moment, but as things stand, I'd argue the other teams around us are more likely to improve in the second half of the season. That's just based on the fact that every team below us has made two or more additions to their squad so far in January and I'd suspect they have better injury records than us too although I obviously don't know that for certain. We may be happy to keep things going as they are as it has kept our heads above the water so far, but you can guarantee the teams below us aren't taking the same approach and will expect to improve in the second half of the season.

The positivity on Twitter is balanced out by the negativity on Facebook in my opinion. I still think more of our fans are disproportionately negative in their assessments on BBM over all of the platforms. It's why I think this forum is the best place for the discussion, as most of the points are at least given some thought and can be expressed in more than 280 characters. Most. There are still some who are quick to call for BBM's head here in half of those characters every time we fall behind though.

As for the supposed EFL experts, what I will say about them is that they do at least have an objective view of the situation even if they don't watch enough of us to be able to have a fully-formed opinion. As fans, we can never be truly objective. They don't know the half of what we know as fans, but they are able to look at the situation with detachment so shouldn't be dismissed completely - and some are worth listening to more than others.

Re your last point - and I know Fitz can speak for himself - it was how his views were being challenged by someone who hadn't actually seen any of our games, when Fitz had seen the lot, which got various backs up.

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 12:34 - Jan 25 with 1131 viewsAtThePeake

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 12:25 - Jan 25 by TVOS1907

Re your last point - and I know Fitz can speak for himself - it was how his views were being challenged by someone who hadn't actually seen any of our games, when Fitz had seen the lot, which got various backs up.

Yeah. In that particular case I'd agree, but I just wanted to make the point that not all of their views should be dismissed out of hand just because they aren't supporters in case some people interpreted it as that.

Tangled up in blue.

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 12:55 - Jan 25 with 1095 viewsfitzochris

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 12:34 - Jan 25 by AtThePeake

Yeah. In that particular case I'd agree, but I just wanted to make the point that not all of their views should be dismissed out of hand just because they aren't supporters in case some people interpreted it as that.

I read your original post there and found myself nodding along to all of it. TVOS has succinctly outlined my position on bloggers and 'experts', too. I'd even extend my opinion as far as certain pundits - the Cheltenham v Man City FA Cup game being a recent example. The usual suspects clearly didn't have a clue about the home side - just very generic comments. What good's that to the viewer? I don't see why they don't get someone on with a bit of knowledge.

I agree that Twitter and Facebook seem to be almost poles apart when it comes to negativity and positivity, but what gets me is that objectivity seems to be lost.

For me, it shouldn't be about being either for or against BBM - there should be a freedom to highlight the pros and cons of his style and approach to each game. Sometimes, given where we are in the league, the cons outweigh the pros - and that's just the way it is - but people automatically assume you have an agenda or "lack perspective".

There is one particular person on Twitter who keeps suggesting that I want BBM sacked - despite the fact my latest blog post said anything but. It's mystifying at times.

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 13:04 - Jan 25 with 1075 viewsHopwoodblue

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 12:55 - Jan 25 by fitzochris

I read your original post there and found myself nodding along to all of it. TVOS has succinctly outlined my position on bloggers and 'experts', too. I'd even extend my opinion as far as certain pundits - the Cheltenham v Man City FA Cup game being a recent example. The usual suspects clearly didn't have a clue about the home side - just very generic comments. What good's that to the viewer? I don't see why they don't get someone on with a bit of knowledge.

I agree that Twitter and Facebook seem to be almost poles apart when it comes to negativity and positivity, but what gets me is that objectivity seems to be lost.

For me, it shouldn't be about being either for or against BBM - there should be a freedom to highlight the pros and cons of his style and approach to each game. Sometimes, given where we are in the league, the cons outweigh the pros - and that's just the way it is - but people automatically assume you have an agenda or "lack perspective".

There is one particular person on Twitter who keeps suggesting that I want BBM sacked - despite the fact my latest blog post said anything but. It's mystifying at times.

I think most people on this board wouldn’t want anyone sacked.
The problem is Rochdale football club come before any individual and I think sometimes people over react (me included) when we feel Rochdale AFC are in danger of being taken down a slippery slope by anyone.
I think it’s more out of fear than anger.
[Post edited 25 Jan 2021 13:05]

Poll: Would we have a stronger management team with Flicker back ?

Match Thread: Gillingham v Rochdale on 13:17 - Jan 25 with 1032 viewsfitzochris

I’m with you there. I’ve said the same about the club coming before any individual on here and on Twitter. It’s an absolutely legitimate and vital belief, as far as I’m concerned.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024