Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Real ale clique.... 17:22 - Mar 9 with 9200 viewsncfc_chalky

Tonight I will be mostly supping Brewdog ales....

Layer Cake marshmallow and chocolate stout (7%)

Double Punk (8%)

Lazer Quest marshmallow and pineapple IPA (6%)

Not to everybody's taste I know but anybody tried them?

Poll: Will you purchase any shares?...

Real ale clique.... on 13:57 - Apr 16 with 1412 viewsncfc_chalky

Real ale clique.... on 09:12 - Apr 16 by Nigeriamark

In the 80s when I played in the Monday night pool league for the Sawyer's it had a bit of a reputation as did quite a few other pubs at the time. Never felt threatened even though there were a few handy lads in there. Got s few stares when I won a fiver on a scratch card as I think they felt only a regular should win. Very few pubs want trouble, it's only those looking for it who will find it.

Chalky. You should get someone to take you on a tour of the few remaining " backstreet" pubs. All havehad their regulars and characters. Most have closed sadly but there will still be a few

I would sooner go for a few pints in some pubs with character than some city centre Wetherspoons that looks just like the one down the road on the inside,these pubs are slowly disappearing by the week and that's a shame

Real ale clique.... on 14:25 - Apr 16 with 1378 viewsD_Alien

Real ale clique.... on 13:57 - Apr 16 by ncfc_chalky

I would sooner go for a few pints in some pubs with character than some city centre Wetherspoons that looks just like the one down the road on the inside,these pubs are slowly disappearing by the week and that's a shame

Not sure that's entirely fair on 'Spoons

Yes, there's some that could be seen as bog standard (though the ale usually isn't) but many are quite characterful, in that local themes are used, local characters displayed on the walls and often semi-derelict but architecturally important buildings refurbished. As a for instance, the Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in Keswick is adapted from the old courthouse, with one of the siderooms a holding cell and the original dock and justice's bench still intact for sitting and supping - you can't get much more characterful than that!

Many others have quirky siderooms, and the pub garden at the Globe, King's Lynn a fabulous extended terrace overlooking the Great Ouse as it widens towards The Wash, with nesting swans in one corner who feed their young from scraps from diners

I've been to a few rubbish ones too, of course

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Real ale clique.... on 14:40 - Apr 16 with 1354 viewsncfc_chalky

Aye,maybe I was a bit quick to tar them with the same brush DL but I was going on my own experiences of the pubs in Nottingham and i've never been impressed by them tbh

Real ale clique.... on 14:53 - Apr 16 with 1341 viewsNigeriamark

Real ale clique.... on 14:40 - Apr 16 by ncfc_chalky

Aye,maybe I was a bit quick to tar them with the same brush DL but I was going on my own experiences of the pubs in Nottingham and i've never been impressed by them tbh

Doesn't Nottingham have some UK record of having the most pubs in a square mile, or something like that?
Real ale clique.... on 15:04 - Apr 16 with 1324 viewsD_Alien

Real ale clique.... on 14:53 - Apr 16 by Nigeriamark

Doesn't Nottingham have some UK record of having the most pubs in a square mile, or something like that?

It does have some pretty unique pubs, like Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem, built into the rock near Nottingham Castle and one of the oldest known hostelries in the UK

Can see why Chalky doesn't like bog standard

Real ale clique.... on 15:08 - Apr 16 with 1317 viewsncfc_chalky

I dunno but there is a fair few of them in the city centre but I usually only go to pubs in a two mile radius of Arnold,when I go to away games I usually stop overnight and make a weekend of it and see the local sites

Real ale clique.... on 15:11 - Apr 16 with 1306 viewsncfc_chalky

Real ale clique.... on 15:04 - Apr 16 by D_Alien

It does have some pretty unique pubs, like Ye Olde Trip To Jerusalem, built into the rock near Nottingham Castle and one of the oldest known hostelries in the UK

Can see why Chalky doesn't like bog standard

Indeed The Trip is a great pub in my eyes and as you say built into the rock of Nottingham castle,don't bother visiting in summer though because it's rammed with tourists

Real ale clique.... on 17:37 - Apr 16 with 1266 viewsblackdogblue

Only a few years ago Heywood was in the Guinness Book Of Records for most pubs in a square mile.

The problem is like anywhere I think nowadays many have gone, turned into vets, flats, restaurants or derelict...

It was also said it would be nigh on impossible to have a pint in every one before you would keel over 😀

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Login to get fewer ads

Real ale clique.... on 20:06 - Apr 16 with 1205 viewspioneer

Real ale clique.... on 14:25 - Apr 16 by D_Alien

Not sure that's entirely fair on 'Spoons

Yes, there's some that could be seen as bog standard (though the ale usually isn't) but many are quite characterful, in that local themes are used, local characters displayed on the walls and often semi-derelict but architecturally important buildings refurbished. As a for instance, the Chief Justice of the Common Pleas in Keswick is adapted from the old courthouse, with one of the siderooms a holding cell and the original dock and justice's bench still intact for sitting and supping - you can't get much more characterful than that!

Many others have quirky siderooms, and the pub garden at the Globe, King's Lynn a fabulous extended terrace overlooking the Great Ouse as it widens towards The Wash, with nesting swans in one corner who feed their young from scraps from diners

I've been to a few rubbish ones too, of course

Weatherspoons in Darwen is an old Methodist Chapel ...interesting place, lots of history and right by the station
Real ale clique.... on 20:35 - Apr 16 with 1189 viewsblackdogblue

Real ale clique.... on 20:06 - Apr 16 by pioneer

Weatherspoons in Darwen is an old Methodist Chapel ...interesting place, lots of history and right by the station

So is the Regal Moon (Metrolink)... not my kind of place, never been in the Heywood one but have been in the Bury one (non football related....) is it the Robert Peel?... a lot brighter and not “alcove”ly...

Spoons I have visited many in my job up & down the country, prefer a “pub”

Poll: Prediction League ... Continue or have a World Cup Break?

Real ale clique.... on 11:05 - Apr 27 with 1017 viewsDaleiLama

Real ale clique.... on 08:46 - Mar 27 by mikehunt

I was in a Lidl in some far flung corner of the country last week and, lurking on its own, on the beer shelf. was a solitary can of Loch Lomond's Brave Hop. It was wonderful! Into the realms of Vocation's cloudy, hoppy stuff.
It wasn't particularly cheap for Lidl (£1.80 for the 440ml can) but was a quality item.
I sent the missus on a quest to buy up every can she could find in our local store but, sadly, she could not find any. She did bring me a tin of Steam Brew (brewed in Mannheim) which wasn't too bad if you are in to the hoppy styles.

BDB's BD thread reminded me to post an update on here.

Quick heads up MikeHunt - Loch Lomond Bravehop is in stock in volume at my local Lidl. Also got a can of Steam Brew IPA to test drive too. Made the mistake of having a "Come on Pilgrim" IPA from the same brewery before the Brave Hop. It's a weaker beer and more of the American IPA style, so good but not great for my pallet. Regrettably, it kinda tainted the Brave Hop a bit and I was only starting to fully appreciate it toward the end. Every cloud, however, ....... I'll get another couple next time I'm down there for more tastings.

Speaking of Lidl, heads up for Sudden Lad - Leffe Blond 4 small bottle pack at £4.49 currently. Once it's gone it's gone. Similarly Hoegaarden if anyone likes that - very refreshing when the weather gets hotter.

First post-lockdown trip out was meant to be a meal but we snook out two days prior to a scenic place overlooking the moors which normally has 2-3 beers on handpump. Regrettably it only had the seemingly ubiquitous (and not to my taste at all) Sharp's Doom Bar. So I started with a keg Atlantic Pale Ale then had a Doom Bar. The latter was better and well kept but it's a no from me. When we went out for tea, the only real ale to wash the cheese and onion pie down with was .......... fecking Doom Bar again. Had one, which was again well kept, but went on to the red wine straight after. Nipped out again Saturday early doors. Had a Dent Golden Fleece which was ok, but finished on the locally brewed (<500 yards from the pub) Howard Town Kerala. Absolutely superb and the perfect way to banish the lockdown for good. Roll on 17/5 and fingers crossed everything stays on track!

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Real ale clique.... on 12:14 - Apr 27 with 954 viewsncfc_chalky

I got an email yesterday from Brewdog informing me of a new beer that they have brewed that is a whopping 57.8 % and costs £30 for a 40ml bottle,surely these are some kind of collectors item rather than something to try? I've just logged back on and it's sold out already so it must be worth them doing,is the world's strongest beer just a gimmick to gain publicity?

Real ale clique.... on 12:22 - Apr 27 with 937 viewsD_Alien

Real ale clique.... on 12:14 - Apr 27 by ncfc_chalky

I got an email yesterday from Brewdog informing me of a new beer that they have brewed that is a whopping 57.8 % and costs £30 for a 40ml bottle,surely these are some kind of collectors item rather than something to try? I've just logged back on and it's sold out already so it must be worth them doing,is the world's strongest beer just a gimmick to gain publicity?

Nah, you water it down by adding 528mls for a bog standard 4.0% abv pint*

And it'd probably taste bog standard

* 4.0704225352117%, to be precise

Real ale clique.... on 13:38 - Apr 27 with 895 viewsDaleiLama

Real ale clique.... on 12:14 - Apr 27 by ncfc_chalky

I remember when I was a fresh-faced student in Leicester and first started getting into trying all the different beers out there (used to tick beers and pubs off in guides ..... better than trainspotting for me) and there was a fella in the heart of the East Leicestershire countryside (or could have been over the border Rutland way or summat) called Barry Parish and he produced Baz's Bonceblower. Back in the day I think he got it up to 22%. I got mildly (no pun intended) interested in the actual chemistry/biology of brewing and from memory (long time ago) here's some guidelines. Beer yeast survives up to about 12/13% abv tops then it simply snuffs it (presumably pissed). If there is any unfermented sugars (and there was with Baz's beers, deliberately) wine yeast can be added and this can survive to the high teens of % abv at the top end then a similar wipe out.

Your fortified wines (sherry and port) have spirits chucked in to make the wine stronger, as the name suggests. Spirts, of course, are made by distillation - removing water to increase the alcohol strength. This can also be achieved by partial freezing (apple jacking in cider terms) but it is less efficient than distillation. An off the shelf whisky is 40% abv. Cask strength (where the natural breathing of the cask allows water to evaporate and increase the strength - think slow distillation) produces whiskies around 60% and higher, depending on age. At this strength they are best enjoyed by adding water to release flavour and aroma (and cos 60% is, to most palates, too damn strong to drink).

Anything boasting an abv of 57.8% isn't beer in my book. By all means try it, Chalky, if you can get hold of it (and please report back if you do) but I can't see the point really. Might put it on my bucket list though, just for the hell!?

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Real ale clique.... on 14:59 - Apr 27 with 847 viewsncfc_chalky

I was toying with the idea of buying one soley so that I could say that I've tried it,I'm not entirely sure that I would enjoy it though as 58% seems stratospheric to me but it's sold out now after only two days,maybe it's just as well because if I had supped it and found out in a couple of years that it had been classed as a hugely popular collectable and shot up in price I would have gutted

Real ale clique.... on 13:54 - May 20 with 704 viewsncfc_chalky

Tonight I will mostly supping....

Abbeydales Absolution 5.3

Doctor Morton's Angler Management 4.1

Hero's Showdown 4.5 (Watermelon and Hibiscus pale)

Anybody tried them?

As I was looking around the Real Ale shop in Newark I was surprised at how many 7.5%-9.0% ales that there are, does anyone drink them on a regular basis or are they to be drank with caution?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024