Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
European Super League 16:39 - Apr 18 with 10900 views442Dale

https://news.sky.com/story/european-super-league-plans-set-to-be-announced-six-e

Things are about to get messy.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

European Super League on 14:35 - Apr 20 with 1827 viewsrichfoad32

European Super League on 14:03 - Apr 20 by judd

The World Series consists of US and Canadian teams, and is rumoured to have been originally sponsored by the New York World newspaper.

And it's no more of a misnomer than a 'Champions' League you can qualify for by finishing 4th.
European Super League on 14:40 - Apr 20 with 1795 viewsD_Alien

European Super League on 13:07 - Apr 20 by 49thseason

The worry is that they carried on regardless of who refused to join. They seem to believe they are operating from a position of strength, so its a safe guess they have game-played these reactions and decided the money accruing is worth the opprobrium they are receiving. This in turn suggests that they have TV / online rights / sponsors in place already. The owners are only interested in the bottom line of the accounts... the rest is a means to an end. To clubs like Rochdale this will ultimately mean another blow to the revenue line and will underline the urgency of developing substantial off field sources of income as quickly as possible.

They will have game-played potential reactions, but not having consulted (apparently) with managers or players, i wonder whether they were able to gauge how this might play out with their employees?

Some have suggested that players being banned from the international arena will have no effect upon them. I beg to differ. Even with the enticement of multiples of their currently unrealistic salaries (why does the Real Madrid chairman think they're 'struggling' financially?) through the sponsorship of the ESL by the likes of Morgan Stanley, how much more money do players think it's worth having above say, £10m pa if their careers become an endless round of meaningless ties against the same opponents?

We've not heard from any players currently attached to the errant 12 (NDAs?) but if i were say, Marcus Rashford or Mason Mount, i'd be looking for a way out should it go ahead. Do they want to be looking back on a ruined career, with a huge pile of dosh they can't possibly spend?

[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 14:41]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

European Super League on 14:42 - Apr 20 with 1778 viewsBigDaveMyCock

European Super League on 14:35 - Apr 20 by richfoad32

And it's no more of a misnomer than a 'Champions' League you can qualify for by finishing 4th.

...and the Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy nor Roman nor an Empire.

Poll: Was the Incredible Hulk a sh!thouse?

European Super League on 15:15 - Apr 20 with 1716 viewsAtThePeake

European Super League on 14:40 - Apr 20 by D_Alien

They will have game-played potential reactions, but not having consulted (apparently) with managers or players, i wonder whether they were able to gauge how this might play out with their employees?

Some have suggested that players being banned from the international arena will have no effect upon them. I beg to differ. Even with the enticement of multiples of their currently unrealistic salaries (why does the Real Madrid chairman think they're 'struggling' financially?) through the sponsorship of the ESL by the likes of Morgan Stanley, how much more money do players think it's worth having above say, £10m pa if their careers become an endless round of meaningless ties against the same opponents?

We've not heard from any players currently attached to the errant 12 (NDAs?) but if i were say, Marcus Rashford or Mason Mount, i'd be looking for a way out should it go ahead. Do they want to be looking back on a ruined career, with a huge pile of dosh they can't possibly spend?

[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 14:41]

I'd like to think you're right, but does the same not apply to the owners of all of these mega-rich clubs? This idea has been created in order to make billionaires more wealthy - how much more money do they need?

Hope BDMC is right as Chelsea and Man City are the two clubs in particular that really don't need to do this. If they pull out they can hopefully set the domino effect in motion, but I do worry that while there could be some resistance from players in the opening stages, in 10 years time it'll become the norm to not play for your country if you want to play in the SL and the money involved will make it so.

Tangled up in blue.

European Super League on 15:19 - Apr 20 with 1701 viewsAtThePeake

European Super League on 15:15 - Apr 20 by AtThePeake

I'd like to think you're right, but does the same not apply to the owners of all of these mega-rich clubs? This idea has been created in order to make billionaires more wealthy - how much more money do they need?

Hope BDMC is right as Chelsea and Man City are the two clubs in particular that really don't need to do this. If they pull out they can hopefully set the domino effect in motion, but I do worry that while there could be some resistance from players in the opening stages, in 10 years time it'll become the norm to not play for your country if you want to play in the SL and the money involved will make it so.

Tangled up in blue.

European Super League on 15:36 - Apr 20 with 1652 viewsD_Alien

European Super League on 15:19 - Apr 20 by AtThePeake

It takes a player such as him, starting out as a fan of the club he plays for and with the courage to do what he's being doing during the past 12 months, to make their views known at this stage

Having role models such as Sir Bobby Charlton, World Cup winner, to aspire to also helps

[Post edited 20 Apr 2021 15:38]

European Super League on 18:55 - Apr 20 with 1414 views442Dale

Sounds like Chelsea are about to withdraw.

European Super League on 19:17 - Apr 20 with 1352 viewsBigDaveMyCock

European Super League on 18:55 - Apr 20 by 442Dale

Sounds like Chelsea are about to withdraw.

City to follow apparently.

Login to get fewer ads

European Super League on 19:23 - Apr 20 with 1333 views442Dale

European Super League on 19:17 - Apr 20 by BigDaveMyCock

City to follow apparently.

It’ll take a long time to remove the stench of this. Both didn’t need to join for financial reasons but did so anyway. Weak.

European Super League on 19:29 - Apr 20 with 1300 viewsD_Alien

European Super League on 19:23 - Apr 20 by 442Dale

It’ll take a long time to remove the stench of this. Both didn’t need to join for financial reasons but did so anyway. Weak.

IF this fails, it won't just leave a lingering stench, but should lead to reform of the governance of clubs involving a much greater say by fans, in which case the owners might well be seen as having shot themselves in both feet

European Super League on 19:47 - Apr 20 with 1256 viewsBigDaveMyCock

Athletico Madrid are now planning to withdraw apparently.

European Super League on 19:52 - Apr 20 with 1229 views442Dale

Whole thing reported to be finished now.

Right, where is the club response to the Trust?

European Super League on 19:54 - Apr 20 with 1210 viewsAtThePeake

Looks like I was wrong about the players - and a few other things! I do still think the so-called Super League will be back before too long though in a slightly different guise and will garner more and more support each couple of years from a younger and more diverse generation of fans.

Very pleasantly surprised for the time being, but still withdrawing my support for Spurs until Levy and ENIC leave the club.

Tangled up in blue.

European Super League on 19:59 - Apr 20 with 1170 viewsmightydale

European Super League on 19:54 - Apr 20 by AtThePeake

Looks like I was wrong about the players - and a few other things! I do still think the so-called Super League will be back before too long though in a slightly different guise and will garner more and more support each couple of years from a younger and more diverse generation of fans.

Very pleasantly surprised for the time being, but still withdrawing my support for Spurs until Levy and ENIC leave the club.

Ed Woodward has resigned

Poll: How many season tickets will we sell for next season

European Super League on 20:00 - Apr 20 with 1167 views442Dale

Woodward on his way at Utd it appears.

Whatever happens, never forgive, never forget.

European Super League on 20:00 - Apr 20 with 1158 viewsTVOS1907

European Super League on 19:59 - Apr 20 by mightydale

Ed Woodward has resigned

Thought he was better in Common as Muck than The Equaliser.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

European Super League on 20:05 - Apr 20 with 1127 viewsD_Alien

European Super League on 20:00 - Apr 20 by TVOS1907

Thought he was better in Common as Muck than The Equaliser.

Callan, surely?

European Super League on 20:13 - Apr 20 with 1087 viewsTVOS1907

European Super League on 20:05 - Apr 20 by D_Alien

Callan, surely?

I was too young for that!

European Super League on 20:17 - Apr 20 with 1068 viewsD_Alien

European Super League on 20:13 - Apr 20 by TVOS1907

I was too young for that!

Thought so... it was a superior, British-made version of The Equaliser which basically reprised his role for the Yanks

European Super League on 20:22 - Apr 20 with 1036 viewspioneer

Breaker Morant
European Super League on 20:38 - Apr 20 with 992 viewsTVOS1907

European Super League on 20:22 - Apr 20 by pioneer

Breaker Morant

D_Alien was too young for that.

European Super League on 20:41 - Apr 20 with 983 viewsD_Alien

European Super League on 20:38 - Apr 20 by TVOS1907

D_Alien was too young for that.

I still am

European Super League on 20:50 - Apr 20 with 961 viewsD_Alien

European Super League on 20:22 - Apr 20 by pioneer

Breaker Morant

Nowt will beat watching him being set alight at the end of The Wicker Man

European Super League on 20:54 - Apr 20 with 947 viewsjudd

European Super League on 20:50 - Apr 20 by D_Alien