Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ray Aspden RIP 09:45 - Aug 25 with 4512 viewsAndyH

Sad news that former captain Ray Aspden has passed away. Played in the 1962 League Cup Final... It was an honour to have seen him grace the hallowed turf. RIP Ray... the memories will always live on.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ray_Aspden

[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 9:48]
Ray Aspden RIP on 10:05 - Aug 25 with 4450 viewsjpresto

He was a very good crown green bowler as well for Kirkholt and Broadfield. a true sportsman and a pleasure to play against him. R.I.P. Ray
Ray Aspden RIP on 10:18 - Aug 25 with 4418 viewsSuddenLad

Sad news. I loved watching him play for Dale in my early supporting days. He was one of several players who I have never forgotten from that era, David Storf, George Morton, George Sievwright amongst them. Thanks for the memories, Ray. Never forgotten.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Ray Aspden RIP on 10:51 - Aug 25 with 4361 viewsAndyH

I shall post all the comments onto the family.... many thanks.
Ray Aspden RIP on 12:35 - Aug 25 with 4217 viewsMarjorie_Plane

Oh dear this is very upsetting. Ray was a really nice guy who took no prisoners.If he tackled you on the touchline, you were very lucky to only land in Row C.

Incredible that he didn't score more goals... I do remember one of them clearly, when the opposition tried to play offside. Ray waltzed round three defenders, then the keeper and strolled it home. The Sandy was in turmoil.

Please do send my condolences to the family.

RIP Ray, you will never be forgotten.
Ray Aspden RIP on 13:08 - Aug 25 with 4154 viewsBazzanne

I remember him well. A great centre half who kept most opposing players under control. One of Dale's legends. RIP Ray, condolences to the family.
Ray Aspden RIP on 13:19 - Aug 25 with 4126 viewssince58

Sad news. used to talk to him outside Matthew Moss school when he came to pick
Mrs Aspden up .
R.I.P. Ray.
Ray Aspden RIP on 14:10 - Aug 25 with 4064 viewsHuddersdale1

Ray Aspden RIP on 10:18 - Aug 25 by SuddenLad

Sad news. I loved watching him play for Dale in my early supporting days. He was one of several players who I have never forgotten from that era, David Storf, George Morton, George Sievwright amongst them. Thanks for the memories, Ray. Never forgotten.

George Sievwright is still around, he lives down the road from me
Ray Aspden RIP on 15:47 - Aug 25 with 3989 viewsdavidab2202

An absolute legend from my teenage years as a Dale supporter.
Always surprised that he never got the chance to play at a higher level.
Condolences to his family
Login to get fewer ads

Ray Aspden RIP on 15:50 - Aug 25 with 3975 viewsSuddenLad

Ray Aspden RIP on 14:10 - Aug 25 by Huddersdale1

George Sievwright is still around, he lives down the road from me

That's good to know. Give him our regards if you see him. He's still remembered.

Ray Aspden RIP on 16:22 - Aug 25 with 3949 viewshammerdale

Ray Aspden was a brilliant Centre half, the best I've ever seen in my time watching Rochdale. Strong and classy he patrolled the backline in a majestic way you rarely see these days, especially in the lower divisions. I seem to recall a rumour that Spurs were interested in him but nothing ever materialised.
Rest in Peace Ray, you were certainly a Rochdale legend
Ray Aspden RIP on 16:47 - Aug 25 with 3913 views100569

Ray Aspden RIP on 10:18 - Aug 25 by SuddenLad

Very sad news indeed. I too remember him playing for `Dale in my early days supporting Dale. A great player in what was a great side. Other stand out players for me who played alongside him, Ted Burgin, Colin Milburn, Jimmy Thompson and Joe Richardson.

RIP Ray and condolences to the family.
Ray Aspden RIP on 17:30 - Aug 25 with 3858 viewsSuddenLad

Ray Aspden RIP on 16:47 - Aug 25 by 100569

Very sad news indeed. I too remember him playing for `Dale in my early days supporting Dale. A great player in what was a great side. Other stand out players for me who played alongside him, Ted Burgin, Colin Milburn, Jimmy Thompson and Joe Richardson.

RIP Ray and condolences to the family.

Stan Milburn.

Ray Aspden RIP on 17:44 - Aug 25 with 3846 views100569

Ray Aspden RIP on 17:30 - Aug 25 by SuddenLad

Stan Milburn.

Quite correct SL. I was listening to the test match as well as typing hence the mistake !! I`m sure you understand..............younger posters might not.
Ray Aspden RIP on 17:51 - Aug 25 with 3824 viewsSuddenLad

Ray Aspden RIP on 17:44 - Aug 25 by 100569

Quite correct SL. I was listening to the test match as well as typing hence the mistake !! I`m sure you understand..............younger posters might not.

Bloody hell, it must be an old recording if Colin Milburn is playing in a Test Match.
[Post edited 25 Aug 2021 17:52]

Ray Aspden RIP on 17:58 - Aug 25 with 3810 viewsD_Alien

Ray Aspden RIP on 17:44 - Aug 25 by 100569

Colin Milburn was born in Co. Durham. I think he may have been related to the footballing Milburns, the most famous being Jackie of course

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ray Aspden RIP on 18:08 - Aug 25 with 3792 viewsmingthemerciless

Ray was the centre half when I first started watching in the early 1960’s. He was a robust, no nonsense defender, who was very rarely bettered by the opposing centre forward. I agree with the poster who said he could have played at a higher level given the chance.

Thanks for all the memories Ray.
Ray Aspden RIP on 02:59 - Aug 26 with 3570 viewsDiddyDave

Yes, Ray was a tough no nonsense centre half in the days when centre forwards were tough no nonsense too. I think he took over from Bev Glover, though I might have that wrong (again). Somebody will put me right on that. Ray was a true club man, Dale through and through, there can`t be many of the 1962 League Cup Final side left now.
Ray Aspden RIP on 05:56 - Aug 26 with 3550 viewsAlexF

A lovely gentleman. Thoughts with his family. He was captain at the time of my earliest visits to Spotland. Didnt he suffer an early career end due to a spiral fracture?
Ray Aspden RIP on 09:24 - Aug 26 with 3478 viewsSheffdale

As others of my vintage have said, Ray was one of the stand out players from the early 1960s. I seem to recall from Steven Phillipps' book that Ray fell out with the club (he wouldn't be the first!) over a refusal to grant him a testimonial. Very glad he was reconciled much later and I understand he was due to attend tomorrow. I have his autograph so he must have been a good guy to sign for a star struck primary school kid.
[Post edited 26 Aug 2021 9:58]
Ray Aspden RIP on 10:31 - Aug 26 with 3431 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Awfully upsetting news about Ray Aspden. Superlatives are far too often bandied about these days, but Ray truly was a club legend. My father would talk for hours about his class and dominance of the opposition. He should definitely have played at a higher level, but his loss was our gain and only a back injury(?) stopped him from making many more than the 297 league appearances he made. Never heard a bad word said about him. A true legend of RAFC.
Condolences to his family and friends.
Rest in peace Ray, you are still well loved.
Ray Aspden RIP on 14:19 - Aug 26 with 3325 views1949er

Ray Aspden RIP on 10:31 - Aug 26 by RooleyMoorBlue

Awfully upsetting news about Ray Aspden. Superlatives are far too often bandied about these days, but Ray truly was a club legend. My father would talk for hours about his class and dominance of the opposition. He should definitely have played at a higher level, but his loss was our gain and only a back injury(?) stopped him from making many more than the 297 league appearances he made. Never heard a bad word said about him. A true legend of RAFC.
Condolences to his family and friends.
Rest in peace Ray, you are still well loved.

Condolences to Debs from Peter H. Unique.

Poll: Where will we finish this season?

Ray Aspden RIP on 10:42 - Sep 2 with 2879 viewsAndyH

A message from the Aspden family;

Thank You for sharing your personal memories of Ray, we have really appreciated your messages & it has brought back so many happy memories for us. They have been shared with his wife, daughters, his sisters & friends.

Rays funeral will take place at Rochdale Crematorium, Tuesday 7th September at 0950hrs, if you would like to pay your final respects you are very welcome to attend. Club colours would be most welcome.

Best Regards Deborah Furber (nee Aspden)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024