Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lyndon Dykes 20:20 - Aug 6 with 82510 viewsNortholt_Rs

Credit where it’s due - I thought he had an excellent game today.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

Lyndon Dykes on 23:41 - Jan 2 with 3842 viewsBlackCrowe

Lyndon Dykes on 23:36 - Jan 2 by ParkRoyalR

Agree with all of those comments, and get Northern can be frustrated when he doesn't play physical enough,

I just don't think he's as limited as most do, but think he a real confidence player (maybe due to coming to the game late) but he needs to play as he did tonite every game as we will accept he's not a prolific striker but he must beat up his Centre Backs and link up play with the 10's and attacking midfielders and create goals for the team.

And in return they have to get closer to him.

Great to see Ossie Kakay play so well tonite too and looking like Willock is getting back to match fitness.

I have been and am sceptical about Lyndon, but he was immense tonight.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Lyndon Dykes on 23:45 - Jan 2 with 3804 viewsstevec

Best game Dykes has had for us by a long way.

At the game though, it felt like he should have read that exceptional pass from Roberts in the first half. Therein lies the problem.
Lyndon Dykes on 23:52 - Jan 2 with 3740 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 23:45 - Jan 2 by stevec

Best game Dykes has had for us by a long way.

At the game though, it felt like he should have read that exceptional pass from Roberts in the first half. Therein lies the problem.

Roberts pass was very well defended, if you watch the replay Dykes is trying to lose his man but the defender uses his body really well and backs into him and blocks his run....something the likes of Rob Dickie needs to do to take his game to the next level...take your man out of the game first rather than worrying about making perfect contact with the ball.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:03 - Jan 3 with 3508 viewsLoyalitat

Lyndon Dykes on 23:52 - Jan 2 by ParkRoyalR

Roberts pass was very well defended, if you watch the replay Dykes is trying to lose his man but the defender uses his body really well and backs into him and blocks his run....something the likes of Rob Dickie needs to do to take his game to the next level...take your man out of the game first rather than worrying about making perfect contact with the ball.

Sorry, have to disagree.

Dykes had an excellent game, but forwards that score more frequently than him anticipate those opportunities. Charlie Austin (version 2: WBA loanee) gets to that delicious cross in my opinion. The best forwards have that innate quality to anticipate and invariably get to the ball, which is what Lyndon lacks and Charlie Austin was blessed with.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:09 - Jan 3 with 3479 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:03 - Jan 3 by Loyalitat

Sorry, have to disagree.

Dykes had an excellent game, but forwards that score more frequently than him anticipate those opportunities. Charlie Austin (version 2: WBA loanee) gets to that delicious cross in my opinion. The best forwards have that innate quality to anticipate and invariably get to the ball, which is what Lyndon lacks and Charlie Austin was blessed with.

Version 1 Austin I agree, as altho lacking in pace was a quick thinker and would have got an early nudge in on his defender and created that yard of space needed,

Altho this is why Austin commanded big transfer fees or huge wages on a free...and hopefully Critchley can make the likes of Dykes and Dickie more 'street-wise' like Austin.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:12 - Jan 3 with 3491 viewsfrancisbowles

Lyndon Dykes on 05:31 - Jan 1 by Hooparoo

Shouldn’t he be preparing for a match? Probably had a meeting with fat boy Beale

Hogmanay Live has been Hogmanay (insert year) since 2019.

The reason is that it is no longer live but pre recorded.

If it's anything like Hootenany, with Jools Holland, that we get in England, then it may take place some time in November.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:15 - Jan 3 with 3467 viewsPinnerPaul

Lyndon Dykes on 23:14 - Jan 2 by gazza1

That's not true PRR.......all he wants from the players is the same as me - a 'proper' shift for 90 minutes, couple with some good football from individuals. Tonight LD did just that and so did all of the Team. Disappointed big time but very pleased with the players and staff tonight.

You know the saying ' its a game of small margins' and it was tonight for a decent team.

TBF, they deserved something from the game.

Spot on mate.
Lyndon Dykes on 10:17 - Jan 3 with 3449 viewsPinnerPaul

Sorry, have to disagree.

Yes agree.

Look at (one of ) the best at the minute - yes, he has frightening speed and power and he IS playing with some of the best club players around, but its Haalands movement and anticipation that makes him such a dangerous player.
[Post edited 3 Jan 2023 17:52]
Login to get fewer ads

Lyndon Dykes on 10:32 - Jan 3 with 3377 viewsDamo1962

Sorry, have to disagree.

This. No matter how much he gives to the team, he doesn't give us the one thing we need most...goals. Maybe a new partner upfront will help him, like Austin did. On his own, he just isn't good enough unfortunately. We need some goals from others too, as it puts too much pressure on him. I hope he starts in the Cup and gets one.
Lyndon Dykes on 11:03 - Jan 3 with 3358 viewsfrancisbowles

Lyndon Dykes on 23:36 - Jan 2 by ParkRoyalR

Agree with all of those comments, and get Northern can be frustrated when he doesn't play physical enough,

I just don't think he's as limited as most do, but think he a real confidence player (maybe due to coming to the game late) but he needs to play as he did tonite every game as we will accept he's not a prolific striker but he must beat up his Centre Backs and link up play with the 10's and attacking midfielders and create goals for the team.

And in return they have to get closer to him.

Great to see Ossie Kakay play so well tonite too and looking like Willock is getting back to match fitness.

"Agree with all of those comments, and get Northern can be frustrated when he doesn't play physical enough"

Sometimes that is down to the referee. Some refs allow more physical contact than others. I've seen Chris Willock pulled up for using his shoulder in some games. Mr Smith tonight, kept the game flowing and let a lot go. (maybe too much at times)

Tonight from the first five minutes, I could see that Lyndon was really up for it and when his first few challenges went well, he went on to a MOM performance. If we can only get the three behind him to get up close and running in behind him, then we should see some goals return to the team.

Strangely tonight, I left the ground only a little disappointed. I was so pleased with the fight and performance of the whole team and felt it was a morale victory against a team that won their last five away from home. It is what we have been demanding and we have to be satisfied with this and hope it is the first stepping stone on the path to more consistent displays under NC.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:10 - Jan 3 with 3244 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 10:32 - Jan 3 by Damo1962

This. No matter how much he gives to the team, he doesn't give us the one thing we need most...goals. Maybe a new partner upfront will help him, like Austin did. On his own, he just isn't good enough unfortunately. We need some goals from others too, as it puts too much pressure on him. I hope he starts in the Cup and gets one.

I'm not sure there is a target man / lone striker in the Championship who does give his team a high number of goals,

Other than Mitrovic who was a level above the Championship as seen when fully fit this season in the Premiership,

I don't know the Championship that well and the likes of Brereton Diaz stand out for me but not sure he plays as a lone striker and likely not where his 10's are so far from him and his midfield prefers to sit rather than run on and break the line.
Lyndon Dykes on 12:42 - Jan 3 with 3179 viewsRBlock

I thought Lyndon had an unbelievable game last night, but there were two occasions where I thought he should have anticipated the ball coming in and got closer to the cross - one came in from the left and looped over, and he was on his heels. The second was an early one from Ossy - it's difficult to begrudge him that though, given how rare it is for our wide players to put in an early cross.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:06 - Jan 3 with 3142 viewsLazyFan

Lyndon Dykes on 12:10 - Jan 3 by ParkRoyalR

I'm not sure there is a target man / lone striker in the Championship who does give his team a high number of goals,

Other than Mitrovic who was a level above the Championship as seen when fully fit this season in the Premiership,

I don't know the Championship that well and the likes of Brereton Diaz stand out for me but not sure he plays as a lone striker and likely not where his 10's are so far from him and his midfield prefers to sit rather than run on and break the line.

Target men who score plenty of goals per game ratio this season in the Champ:

Ross Stewart - Sunderland (also after Dykes Scotland position)
Morris - Luton (Scored against us three times now)
Piroe - Swansea
João - Reading
Dike - WBA
McBurnie - Sheff Utd

So, that is six better target men off the bat. I am sure our stato's will be able to supply even more. I am not feeling it, once game is no good. Morris showed how it should be done and he cost £1m less than Dykes. Stewart who is also Scottish is a way better player than Dykes.

We should take the Grangers money if on offer.

zzzzzzzzzz

Lyndon Dykes on 13:28 - Jan 3 with 3083 viewsParkRoyalR

Lyndon Dykes on 13:06 - Jan 3 by LazyFan

Target men who score plenty of goals per game ratio this season in the Champ:

Ross Stewart - Sunderland (also after Dykes Scotland position)
Morris - Luton (Scored against us three times now)
Piroe - Swansea
João - Reading
Dike - WBA
McBurnie - Sheff Utd

So, that is six better target men off the bat. I am sure our stato's will be able to supply even more. I am not feeling it, once game is no good. Morris showed how it should be done and he cost £1m less than Dykes. Stewart who is also Scottish is a way better player than Dykes.

We should take the Grangers money if on offer.

Are any of these playing as a lone striker?

Morris had 8 goals before our 2 gifts, and the others on your list are likewise on 8 and 9 goals, including McBurnie who didnt score for nearly 40 games, cost £ 20m and is on nearly £40k per week.

Our fans have a habit of seeing a player maybe once or twice a season and thinking he's so much better than what we have, which in the main is'nt the case.

We would be committing an act of self-harm if we took £3m from GRangers for Dykes and tried to buy a replacement for that money, especially after thinking Conor Washington was worthy of that outlay!
Lyndon Dykes on 13:44 - Jan 3 with 3005 viewsgazza1

Massive improvement last night, not difficult that one!!, but he must do that every match AND add the goals into his game. Can he do that 'week in, week out' - I am not sure.

As for GR and £3 million - yes please every day of the week. If we cannot get better than we as a club are failing badly.
Lyndon Dykes on 13:55 - Jan 3 with 2991 viewsdenhamhoop2

He is our only senior striker available if anyone thinks that Bonne or Armstrong are better than him currently then they need to have a strong look at themselves. Is he the Messiah no but he is a good solid pro who by and large gives his best the big difference is how far the supporting cast are from him when we attack. Give him people to link up with and he doesn't look too shabby but cut him adrift with the nearest team mates 30 yards away and he looks slow and cumbersome
Lyndon Dykes on 14:28 - Jan 3 with 2942 viewsdmm

Apparently, the club is set to offer Dykes a new contract. Sorry if this is a chip piss drencher for you
Lyndon Dykes on 15:43 - Jan 3 with 2816 viewsflynnbo

Good news if true.
Lyndon Dykes on 17:39 - Jan 3 with 2710 viewsgolborne

Sorry, have to disagree.

he needed to accept that he wasn't getting across the defender. Charlie would have, but gambled on going around the bacx of him. Defender then has to make a decision on meeting a whipped ball 6-7 yds out in the middle of the goal, or letting it run across. He chose the latter last night, but if dykes pulled his run he would have been waiting to meet it in behind. Or of course forcing him to play a very dangerous ball whilst facing his own goal
Lyndon Dykes on 18:27 - Jan 3 with 2643 viewsthemodfather

i am not his biggest fan but v blades he did well and warnock raved about him, as he worried the defence often and gave them something to think about.
if fact warnock made him motm , dickie was ok too and sadly the ball hit him and went in, but little he could at the short distance from attacker etc.
but does dykes ever look like scoring?
Lyndon Dykes on 19:03 - Jan 3 with 2568 viewsdavman

Lyndon Dykes on 13:44 - Jan 3 by gazza1

Massive improvement last night, not difficult that one!!, but he must do that every match AND add the goals into his game. Can he do that 'week in, week out' - I am not sure.

As for GR and £3 million - yes please every day of the week. If we cannot get better than we as a club are failing badly.

... and who would you get in to replace him for £3m?

Like it or not, he is all we have and we need to persevere with him. Obvious from last night and Preston, he is effective at occupying defenders and needs help alongside him. I think that in general he has been a very poor signing, but he is irreplaceable in this team at the moment.

If we sell him without a proven alternative coming in, I dread to think how much worse things would get...

Can we go out yet?
Poll: What would you take for Willock if a bid comes this month?

Lyndon Dykes on 19:22 - Jan 3 with 2507 viewstkqpr

Lyndon Dykes on 14:28 - Jan 3 by dmm

Apparently, the club is set to offer Dykes a new contract. Sorry if this is a chip piss drencher for you

Wouldn't surprise me if this is true, the last few games hes put himself about a lot more and looks more determined, his link up play is better and was at both ends of the pitch all game, so i would imagine that theres been something said to him, his agent.

Whether thats to ward off the Beale/Rangers rumours, who knows?
Lyndon Dykes on 20:18 - Jan 3 with 2426 viewskarl

Haven’t read everything on here but do agree that Dykes has looked quite badly off form while playing well for Scotland in higher profile games, it’s all a bit odd. Last night I would say it was a similar type of performance to his Scotland matches where he was defending well from the front and really getting himself about the pitch, doing it effectively for 90 minutes as well is something the modern player seems to struggle with too.
One small comment last night by Warnock was quite telling, Dykes made a channel run down the 18 yd line and Ilias didn’t slide him in but went inside and lost possession. NW gently said ‘that’s something Chair has to improve, release the ball when a players made the correct move for him’. It wasn’t a major issue and didn’t happen many times last night but it does bring me back to when Dykes was new and raw at LR and Ilias and BOS were terrible for not releasing the ball for him, it was certainly looking like they didn’t rate him and wouldn’t pass. It was commented on plenty here, said that the time they needed a big personality to get at them and be a bigger character than them in the team. Austin comes on board and seen him giving Ilias instructions in game and lo and behold our goalscoring picked up dramatically along with Dykes form as well.
No one in the Scotland squad holds off passing to Dykes and he has a perfectly good goals return.
There’s no way I’d want to lose Ilias but does he need a manager like Warnock or a team mate like Charlie to get his game in order? Interested to hear any comments but don’t take this as me blaming Ilias for Dykes poor form, at times he looks very awkward and lacks basic ability, just wonder if others picked up on these points?
Lyndon Dykes on 20:49 - Jan 3 with 2368 viewsMedwayR

Lyndon Dykes on 20:18 - Jan 3 by karl

Haven’t read everything on here but do agree that Dykes has looked quite badly off form while playing well for Scotland in higher profile games, it’s all a bit odd. Last night I would say it was a similar type of performance to his Scotland matches where he was defending well from the front and really getting himself about the pitch, doing it effectively for 90 minutes as well is something the modern player seems to struggle with too.
One small comment last night by Warnock was quite telling, Dykes made a channel run down the 18 yd line and Ilias didn’t slide him in but went inside and lost possession. NW gently said ‘that’s something Chair has to improve, release the ball when a players made the correct move for him’. It wasn’t a major issue and didn’t happen many times last night but it does bring me back to when Dykes was new and raw at LR and Ilias and BOS were terrible for not releasing the ball for him, it was certainly looking like they didn’t rate him and wouldn’t pass. It was commented on plenty here, said that the time they needed a big personality to get at them and be a bigger character than them in the team. Austin comes on board and seen him giving Ilias instructions in game and lo and behold our goalscoring picked up dramatically along with Dykes form as well.
No one in the Scotland squad holds off passing to Dykes and he has a perfectly good goals return.
There’s no way I’d want to lose Ilias but does he need a manager like Warnock or a team mate like Charlie to get his game in order? Interested to hear any comments but don’t take this as me blaming Ilias for Dykes poor form, at times he looks very awkward and lacks basic ability, just wonder if others picked up on these points?

It's definitely something you can easily pick up watching our games. I thought the same as Warnock when Chair didn't play Dykes in, there was also one in the first half where Willock needed to put in an early cross but decided to hold onto the ball for a bit longer instead to get a few more step-overs in before he crossed it. I love watching Chair and Willock but their decision making at times needs to improve.

Poll: Who’s better?

Lyndon Dykes on 20:55 - Jan 3 with 2344 viewsbaz_qpr

I thought Dykes last night was absolutely brilliant and absolutely appalling at the same time.

Brilliant in everything he did outside the box, hold up play, winning headers, defensively etc but god inside the box his runs, positioning and anticipation were god awful.

There was one moment 2nd half can't remember whether it was Chair or Roberts was driving towards the box and Dykes makes a diagonal run taking two defenders with him into the path of the driving QPR player leaving four players around that player and of course we lost the ball. He had to pull the other way to make space for himself and create the opening for the QPR player.

A striker with decent movement would have had a brace first half and the game would have been done and dusted. But I guess that's why he's with us and not a £10m striker
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024