Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start 17:34 - Feb 18 with 6783 viewsSheffield_dale

Anyone remember Stockdale announcing a promotion run when he was appointed?😂

Also, anyone remember how bad we were in pre-season. I could see it in Stockdale's face that he recruited absolute pups with no football brain.

With no training pitch we needed players with desire and speed to make up the skill deficiency (see Lloyd, Mullarkey)

I actually don't blame Bentley. It needed a re-build with no pre-season. Almost impossible

The following have relegated us by being nowhere near:
John
Toums
EEL
Keohane
Seriki
Eastwood
Quigley
Rodney
Odoh
Ball
Graham
Slicker!!
The bloke from WBA who I can't even remember
Stockdale
Shan
Gauge (Stockdale decisions only)

When the majority of the squad are this poor in skill, desire, passion and brains then it's no surprise. Pep wouldn't get us out of this.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:38 - Feb 18 with 4263 views442Dale

Yes, Bentley was dealt a bad hand, but would argue we’d have more points now if we’d stuck with Stockdale.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:40 - Feb 18 with 4244 viewsisitme

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:38 - Feb 18 by 442Dale

Yes, Bentley was dealt a bad hand, but would argue we’d have more points now if we’d stuck with Stockdale.

That was a question I posed to some around me today. I suppose hindsight is a powerful tool.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:40 - Feb 18 with 4228 viewsfrenzied

At last a sane analysis....

Nail on head

I see no point in sacking Jim.

Hill is ancient history...Brilliant as he was.

Id stick with Jim beyond the end of the season wherever that takes us, let him have the break and pre season and run with him into the next season.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:43 - Feb 18 with 4174 views442Dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:40 - Feb 18 by frenzied

At last a sane analysis....

Nail on head

I see no point in sacking Jim.

Hill is ancient history...Brilliant as he was.

Id stick with Jim beyond the end of the season wherever that takes us, let him have the break and pre season and run with him into the next season.

This is not about whether we sack a manager but what the club do if we carry on?

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:43 - Feb 18 with 4182 viewsfrenzied

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:40 - Feb 18 by isitme

That was a question I posed to some around me today. I suppose hindsight is a powerful tool.

if....

buts...

....and maybe's

Your dead right M8!!!!!!
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:48 - Feb 18 with 4115 viewsSheffield_dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:38 - Feb 18 by 442Dale

We all wanted Stockdale gone and we praised the early decision. Obviously have no evidence that Bentley isn't but maybe we needed more of a galvanising manager.

I know for a fact Graham Coughlan was interviewed before the Sheffield Wednesday game. Let's just say he didn't like what he saw that night. No idea if he turned it down because of that but he seems to have done OK at Newport. Maybe he knew nobody could get a tune from this squad
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:51 - Feb 18 with 4046 viewsNewbury_Dale

Absolute nonsense. We've regressed still further under Bentley. He was brought in as an old school motivator who knew the league. The players show no motivation whatsoever. Ebanks Landell came on on Tuesday for 15 minutes and was dire. He cannot head a ball in a straight direction and is as slow as a boat. To select him from the start today was laughable. Quigley contributes nothing. He's a poor man's Dave Lancaster. But still he gets selected. You cannot blame Stockdale for that.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:51 - Feb 18 with 4045 views442Dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:48 - Feb 18 by Sheffield_dale

We all wanted Stockdale gone and we praised the early decision. Obviously have no evidence that Bentley isn't but maybe we needed more of a galvanising manager.

I know for a fact Graham Coughlan was interviewed before the Sheffield Wednesday game. Let's just say he didn't like what he saw that night. No idea if he turned it down because of that but he seems to have done OK at Newport. Maybe he knew nobody could get a tune from this squad

Not arguing that Stockdale’s sacking wasn’t one fans disagreed with.

Login to get fewer ads

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:55 - Feb 18 with 3962 viewsSheffield_dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:51 - Feb 18 by Newbury_Dale

Absolute nonsense. We've regressed still further under Bentley. He was brought in as an old school motivator who knew the league. The players show no motivation whatsoever. Ebanks Landell came on on Tuesday for 15 minutes and was dire. He cannot head a ball in a straight direction and is as slow as a boat. To select him from the start today was laughable. Quigley contributes nothing. He's a poor man's Dave Lancaster. But still he gets selected. You cannot blame Stockdale for that.

Stockdale brought them in. Hardly nonsense to blame the man who literally selected them
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:57 - Feb 18 with 3920 viewsrich_dale

When Bentley came in it seemed that we were sacrificing the half decent passing game we had in favour of being more resilient and working harder, and initially we got a few results. Now we don't seem to have any redeeming qualities - neither the workrate nor the standard of football are good enough and there's just no identity.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:57 - Feb 18 with 3907 viewsrichfoad32

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:55 - Feb 18 by Sheffield_dale

Stockdale brought them in. Hardly nonsense to blame the man who literally selected them

Bentley bought Quigley in.

It looked like a shrewd piece of business for his first couple of games but I've totally lost patience with him now.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:57 - Feb 18 with 3910 viewsSheffield_dale

I agree about EEL though. Pound for pound one of the worst signings in the clubs history. Considering what he is paid, his experience and the fact he is somehow CAPTAIN
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:58 - Feb 18 with 3866 viewsD_Alien

The much simpler truth is that the board, being fans, had about as much (or little) idea of what we needed footballing-wise as anyone posting on this or other threads

Opinion is divided, there are no certainties here and giving them grief is just mindless

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:08 - Feb 18 with 3772 viewsTrev

The big mistake from the board, in my eyes, remains not getting rid of Stockdale at the end of last season. We then went into the season with an absolutely awful squad.

I can understand why they might have thought Bentley would be the right man. With that being said, he has been backed and has not improved performances despite having plenty of time to do so.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:11 - Feb 18 with 3722 viewssomdale

Well RS was sacked so quickly that it's impossible to say how he would have faired.
I don't seem to remember to many negatives as the squad developed pre season.
What is unforgivable is that there has been no improvement at all under JB. And the GK debacle is almost unforgivable.
On the plus side we have lost so many games by the odd goal, so we are not a terrible side, JB has failed to turn enough of those tight games into points, his selections, his substitutions.
Seems a very decent bloke, but his record just isn't good enough
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:18 - Feb 18 with 3631 viewsSheffield_dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:11 - Feb 18 by somdale

Well RS was sacked so quickly that it's impossible to say how he would have faired.
I don't seem to remember to many negatives as the squad developed pre season.
What is unforgivable is that there has been no improvement at all under JB. And the GK debacle is almost unforgivable.
On the plus side we have lost so many games by the odd goal, so we are not a terrible side, JB has failed to turn enough of those tight games into points, his selections, his substitutions.
Seems a very decent bloke, but his record just isn't good enough

Watch from 9 seconds to 12 seconds.

He knew the squad was dire
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:25 - Feb 18 with 3519 views442Dale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:18 - Feb 18 by Sheffield_dale

What indicates that?

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:25 - Feb 18 with 3528 viewsdiver

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 17:58 - Feb 18 by D_Alien

The much simpler truth is that the board, being fans, had about as much (or little) idea of what we needed footballing-wise as anyone posting on this or other threads

Opinion is divided, there are no certainties here and giving them grief is just mindless

I would love to see Calvin Andrew back as an adviser to Jim I get the impression that he still has affection for Dale and would part some good advice to turn things around
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:25 - Feb 18 with 3512 viewsJames1980

In hindsight how was an nth choice out of work manager with no record of actual success (getting a team promoted) ever going to really inspire and motivate this group of players? At least if someone like Hill came in he can cite his previous success with Rochdale as to why he should be listened to and respected.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: Is moving to a new location

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:37 - Feb 18 with 3387 viewselectricblue

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:25 - Feb 18 by diver

I would love to see Calvin Andrew back as an adviser to Jim I get the impression that he still has affection for Dale and would part some good advice to turn things around

Why does JB need an advisor!
He is an experienced manager..
The downfall started in the summer transfer window and now the Jan transfer window by not bringing in centre mids.....
The opposition go through the weak midfield and right at the defence and thus immediately causes so much pressure and inevitable they score...

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:40 - Feb 18 with 3341 viewsisitme

We haven't had a functioning midfield all season.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:49 - Feb 18 with 3250 viewsClivert

Bentley's in game management is the worse I've ever known in over 30 years of watching Dale, BBM was pretty bad and at Graham Barrow could always fall back on lobbing a long ball to a big target man.
[Post edited 18 Feb 2023 19:12]
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:55 - Feb 18 with 3199 viewsdiver

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:37 - Feb 18 by electricblue

Why does JB need an advisor!
He is an experienced manager..
The downfall started in the summer transfer window and now the Jan transfer window by not bringing in centre mids.....
The opposition go through the weak midfield and right at the defence and thus immediately causes so much pressure and inevitable they score...

Calvin was at Dale for several seasons he knows the club and played under Hills management
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 19:09 - Feb 18 with 3105 viewsdawlishdale

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:08 - Feb 18 by Trev

The big mistake from the board, in my eyes, remains not getting rid of Stockdale at the end of last season. We then went into the season with an absolutely awful squad.

I can understand why they might have thought Bentley would be the right man. With that being said, he has been backed and has not improved performances despite having plenty of time to do so.

Here is the nail on head moment.

It was obvious that Stockdale was not going to work despite a few decent results right at the end of last season.

The fact that out new and inexperienced board couldn't see this will prove to be the worst decision they have made.

Giving Stockdale the money to squander on half a dozen useless wasters, all on 2 year deals, is what has knackered us..

And then, sacking him so soon into this season kind of tells me that the board knew they'd made a mess of things.

Employing Jim was , with hindsight, a desperate desperate move when all the decent candidates had rejected us as a lost cause. Sadly, the bookies got it spot on.

The plight we find ourselves in is a culmination of bad decisions going back 5 years. Bottomley started it and is largely responsible, but the new board have made a mess of it as well.

The hard work and dedication of fans to stave off the unwanted attention of MH might ultimately be for naught.

Very sad days.
Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 19:16 - Feb 18 with 3033 viewselectricblue

Ill-equipped. Doomed from the start on 18:18 - Feb 18 by Sheffield_dale

Yep......erm.....fine.......
Says it all really......

He signed them though and on big wages.......

My all time favourite Dale player Mr Lyndon Symmonds

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024