Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? 18:08 - Apr 24 with 5313 viewsKeithHaynes

I would be interested to know your views.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 00:21 - Apr 26 with 1405 viewsSTID2017

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 23:58 - Apr 25 by Dr_Parnassus

Being on £80k a week doesn’t mean you are worth it. Of which Ayew most certainly wasn’t.

Ask Sunderland fans about Jack Rodwell.

As I keep saying, Ayews contract was a hindrance not a benefit. You take a Piroe all day who is on 15% of that.

Ayew's contract was no hindrance to us winning (or not as it turned out) the play off final.
The squad we had at the time was good enough to win that day.
Cooper's incompetence to manage us through that game is what cost us.
The fact we have Piroe now has no bearing on events two years ago

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 00:28 - Apr 26 with 1380 viewsDr_Parnassus

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 00:21 - Apr 26 by STID2017

Ayew's contract was no hindrance to us winning (or not as it turned out) the play off final.

It was a hindrance to being able to improve the squad, of course it was.

Having a chance to win, and being expected to win are vastly different things.

We had a chance to win every game this season, expecting us to however would be pretty foolish.

We were underdogs in the Final you refer to, significant underdogs. Justifiably so.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 01:21 - Apr 26 with 1376 viewsRobbie

Tatey the Jack and Cooper the Bluebird , both now in charge of Forest , good chemistry .
Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 09:47 - Apr 26 with 1285 viewsRichardO

Cooper knew that the defence was bereft of any real pace and quality which one of the reasons we got relegated in the first place, this was why he had to cement it with full backs playing in the wide positions of the midfield and in the middle with dependable defensive midfielders so the team ended up dropping deeper and deeper, if we could have got Ayew in good positions higher up the field we could have better used his undoubted talent, the goals against dramatically reduced and so did the goals for, the team was lacking pace and maybe a bit of quality in the middle of the pitch to ensure better supply to the forwards.
We brought in Hourihane, it seemed like it would work but no for obvious reason that everyone could see.

So why would Cooper go, he'd lost one of his best defenders in Guehi and best attackers in Ayew did he think the owners wouldn't back him to strengthen the team enough I think not so the only option in his mind was to go.

So where did that leave Martin quite lucky really because with Downes, Piroe, Ntcham and Paterson he had the needed replacements and additions need up front and in the middle of the park although he didn't get defenders needed or at the very least he got the loan players but seemed incapable of using them , likewise adding pace to the game.
What would Cooper had done with them, quite frankly I don't care, he has gone.
Two years on and defenders brought in and finally bedded in?
It has taken time, too much for a lot of people, we still lack real pace in too many areas of the park but with a good formation/ setup that looks as if it has been countered to a degree.
Not a lot of the season left, hope the good form continues till the end of the season and rebuilding of the team continues constructively.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 13:05]
Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 10:24 - Apr 26 with 1263 viewsonehunglow

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 09:47 - Apr 26 by RichardO

Cooper knew that the defence was bereft of any real pace and quality which one of the reasons we got relegated in the first place, this was why he had to cement it with full backs playing in the wide positions of the midfield and in the middle with dependable defensive midfielders so the team ended up dropping deeper and deeper, if we could have got Ayew in good positions higher up the field we could have better used his undoubted talent, the goals against dramatically reduced and so did the goals for, the team was lacking pace and maybe a bit of quality in the middle of the pitch to ensure better supply to the forwards.
We brought in Hourihane, it seemed like it would work but no for obvious reason that everyone could see.

So why would Cooper go, he'd lost one of his best defenders in Guehi and best attackers in Ayew did he think the owners wouldn't back him to strengthen the team enough I think not so the only option in his mind was to go.

So where did that leave Martin quite lucky really because with Downes, Piroe, Ntcham and Paterson he had the needed replacements and additions need up front and in the middle of the park although he didn't get defenders needed or at the very least he got the loan players but seemed incapable of using them , likewise adding pace to the game.
It has taken time, too much for a lot of people, we still lack real pace in too many areas of the park but with a good formation/ setup that looks as if it has been countered to a degree.
Not a lot of the season left, hope the good form continues till the end of the season and rebuilding of the team continues constructively.

Great posting

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 14:11 - Apr 26 with 1193 viewsFireboy2

Pace is something we definitely lack.

Playing 3 at the back without having pace as an outlet was the biggest reason we have struggled this season.

If we can get a couple of players with pace next season we can have a real crack at promotion.
Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 15:14 - Apr 26 with 1162 viewsDr_Winston

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 14:11 - Apr 26 by Fireboy2

Playing 3 at the back without having pace as an outlet was the biggest reason we have struggled this season.

If we can get a couple of players with pace next season we can have a real crack at promotion.

Three at the back was the single biggest reason. It resulted in too many chances to make mistakes when passing it around the back, and left too many openings for teams to hit us on the counter. Just getting the goals conceded rate down to normal levels has made a difference.

I would also argue that playing genuine, creative attacking midfielders in central roles rather than having them wider has also fostered a more direct, aggressive attacking instinct.

If we can add genuine pace at fullback, out wide and Russy has faith in using them then the fundamentals are there for next season depending on who we lose.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 15:30 - Apr 26 with 1143 viewsvetchonian

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 00:21 - Apr 26 by STID2017

As has Martin's incompetance to manage the group of players now "flying" high that he has ditched the 3 at the back despite it not working for long periods a lot more than one game

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Login to get fewer ads

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 16:45 - Apr 26 with 1096 viewsonehunglow

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 14:11 - Apr 26 by Fireboy2

Agreed

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 19:19 - Apr 26 with 1035 viewsvetchonian

well said

Poll: Will CCFC win a game this season?

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 19:32 - Apr 26 with 1022 viewsmagicdaps10

Good post that, I believe Cooper got out of dodge for the same reason you say and he knew the job was going to get harder with the parachute payments stopping.......there was a big fear at the end of that season in some quarters that relegation could be a real possibility after that play off final.

So in response to the OP, Cooper wanted guarantees to replenish a squad that was going to lose 3/4 key players, a guarantee that could not be given, a breakdown in relationship and a parting of way........Cooper got out at the top of the wave and the owners got out of it lightly by still paying his wage which wasn't extortionate.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 19:33 - Apr 26 with 1022 viewsBadlands

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 20:33 - Apr 25 by SullutaCreturned

I think he left because he realised the owners were not going to buy the players he wanted, I say that with hindsight obviosuly.

I look at Martin now and think that if he sticls with what he's done this last 2 months AND the owners bring in who he wants then we may have a good chance next season.

IF, as seems likely, they keep pulling the plig, changing the rules and letting him down we will get nowhere. I'm not saying spend like Forest have but we need to take a measured gamble. If the owners had done that in January we may be shoe ins for the play offs by now.

The 'owners' brought in players he wanted plus others. A few have been a success but plenty of failures. Fisher is only playing because Benda is injured and £1.5 - 2 million Darling has become a bit player behind Wood, Cabango & Latibeaudiere.
Giving Martin the players he 'wants' is not something I'd necessarily support. On the other hand does Martin throw his toys if isn’t given who he wants.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 19:52 - Apr 26 with 989 viewsReslovenSwan1

"Hello Julian how are thing going with my bumper new deal?"

"Hi Steve they do not really understand the word "bumper" over there and they are prepared to offer you inflation plus 6% meaning a 9% rise for the next two seasons, effectively three times inflation. An inflation busting deal if you like."

"Come on Julian i was thinking of a 100% pay rise based on the fact i have proved myself with two play off while developing the clubs young players like Cabango. The play offs along generated £3m extra revenue". "My original deal was very low as I was unproven.

"The thing is Steve income is down £15m and there is no cash to spare for you or new players. It is just the way it is. They doubt there is a better deal on offer out there. They pushed the boat out with Gibbs- White, Goykeres, Hourahaine etc. Next season will be tighter.".

"Not happy Julian and you can tell them that. I am speaking to my agent". You know what I want".

"My hands are tied Steve. You have a deal to next Summer in any case".
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 19:54]

Wise sage since Toshack era

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 02:57 - Apr 27 with 919 viewsDr_Parnassus

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 19:32 - Apr 26 by magicdaps10

Good post that, I believe Cooper got out of dodge for the same reason you say and he knew the job was going to get harder with the parachute payments stopping.......there was a big fear at the end of that season in some quarters that relegation could be a real possibility after that play off final.

So in response to the OP, Cooper wanted guarantees to replenish a squad that was going to lose 3/4 key players, a guarantee that could not be given, a breakdown in relationship and a parting of way........Cooper got out at the top of the wave and the owners got out of it lightly by still paying his wage which wasn't extortionate.

So you think he was so scared of parachute payments stopping (even though he spent next to nothing of them), that he jumped ship…. to another club with no parachute payments who were bottom of the league?

Makes sense…

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 07:49 - Apr 27 with 887 viewsmagicdaps10

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 02:57 - Apr 27 by Dr_Parnassus

So you think he was so scared of parachute payments stopping (even though he spent next to nothing of them), that he jumped ship…. to another club with no parachute payments who were bottom of the league?

Makes sense…

Glad you agree with me, having a budget cut as amanager is a difficult thing to deal with.........be it on transfer fees or wages of in this case combined.

The challenge ahead with Forest was a win win considering the mess they had been in for X amount of years.

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 08:02 - Apr 27 with 870 viewsmagicdaps10

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 07:49 - Apr 27 by magicdaps10

Glad you agree with me, having a budget cut as amanager is a difficult thing to deal with.........be it on transfer fees or wages of in this case combined.

The challenge ahead with Forest was a win win considering the mess they had been in for X amount of years.

Have to add that he didn't jump ship from Swansea to Forest......there was a period in tween and he instantly saw his wage increase when he joined Forest as his wage was quite minimal with Swansea.

Time was going on for Cooper, when he left Swansea there was not a queue of teams lining up for him, he needed to get his foot back in and the increase in wage was something he needed.

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 09:29 - Apr 27 with 820 viewsRichardO

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 08:02 - Apr 27 by magicdaps10

Have to add that he didn't jump ship from Swansea to Forest......there was a period in tween and he instantly saw his wage increase when he joined Forest as his wage was quite minimal with Swansea.

Time was going on for Cooper, when he left Swansea there was not a queue of teams lining up for him, he needed to get his foot back in and the increase in wage was something he needed.

Would have been a sensible thing to do after leaving early giving himself time to assess his options, don't know what options he had at the time, once he was gone very little interest for me except in context to Swansea.
Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 10:02 - Apr 27 with 775 viewsmagicdaps10

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 09:29 - Apr 27 by RichardO

Would have been a sensible thing to do after leaving early giving himself time to assess his options, don't know what options he had at the time, once he was gone very little interest for me except in context to Swansea.

Being fair, probably no interest as it was 2 weeks before the season started and most if not every club aside from us would have had management in place.

Managers need to get back on the horse quickly especially young ones and Forest was a good one for him to take, nothing to lose with no expectations from their recent years of poor performances and league position when he took over.....no taking away from what he achieved to get them promoted.

The question here is, why do we think Cooper left Swansea.

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 11:04 - Apr 27 with 742 viewsRhonnda_Jack

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 19:15 - Apr 24 by pencoedjack

There’s 1 or 2 exceptions 👍

😆 👍
Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 12:21 - Apr 27 with 703 viewsRichardO

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 10:02 - Apr 27 by magicdaps10

Being fair, probably no interest as it was 2 weeks before the season started and most if not every club aside from us would have had management in place.

Managers need to get back on the horse quickly especially young ones and Forest was a good one for him to take, nothing to lose with no expectations from their recent years of poor performances and league position when he took over.....no taking away from what he achieved to get them promoted.

The question here is, why do we think Cooper left Swansea.

No idea what options were available but the choice he took seem to work out.
Given my humble opinion as to why he left and happy to listen to others views.

There is a lot to be said for what Cooper learnt about management in his time at Swansea he made numerous mistakes as all managers do and was unfortunate that some of his loanees were injured very early in their time with us.
Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 16:22 - Apr 27 with 632 viewsDr_Parnassus

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 07:49 - Apr 27 by magicdaps10

Agree with you?

Your point seems to be that he was so scared of the parachute payments ending (that he didn’t get to use) that he left to go to another team without parachute payments he won’t get to use.

You will have to make that make sense first before anyone can agree with you.

How was Forest a win win? They have a rich history of sacking managers because nobody could sort them out, and their squad was particularly poor. Their top striker was a 34/35 year old journeyman in Lewis Grabban.

When he moved there people were laughing that he moved to a basket case club who would sack him after 3 months. He turned it around completely and gave them the best football era since Clough, no need for “transition”.

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 11:07 - Apr 28 with 564 viewsBryanSwan

Why do you think Steve Cooper left Swansea City ? on 02:57 - Apr 27 by Dr_Parnassus

Makes sense…

I think saying he was scared would be wrong, he had done pretty well when looked at objectively in achieving 2 playoff place finishes. (Whether we could've done slightly better is neither here nor there).
His stock was high and with us losing 3/4 first choice players the next season would be more difficult. I think it was clear that he intended to step up to the premier league and was highly linked to the Palace job at the time.
With us not going up, players leaving, him wanting elsewhere. It was always going to be best to part ways.

Forest would appear to have been one of the first realistic opportunities for him and he took it. He wanted the prem and Forest was the next best offer.

Poll: When will Russell Martin no longer be Swansea manager?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024