Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Finding the positives 14:28 - May 1 with 10120 viewsSheffield_dale

In a sea of negativity I always try and find some positives. Plus I'm putting off decluttering the house. So for what it's worth here's my two penneth.

1. We all get to to visit some new grounds. Admittedly not the best start but I'll admit I'm excited to visit the likes of Halifax and even Dorking. Plus we get a proper derby back in Oldham.

2. Is the squad actually decent for that league? The likes of O'Donnell, EEL, Keohane, Rodney and Henderson are pretty experienced league players. Sinclair, Mullarkey, Campbell and dare I say it Ball have all performed well at this level. I actually think Taylor and Graham are also decent prospects. Add in some midfield steel and maybe we can have a crack at a decent season.

3. Following on from the #2, maybe we will win a few games. It's been seemingly ages since we really grabbed a season by the balls and gave it a good go. And for the first time in a long while we are actually one of the bigger teams in the league.

4. BT sport coverage. Would be decent to see us on TV I suppose 🤷‍♂️

Appreciate the deep negatives do override the positives but does anyone else think we may actually be Ok. If not, what/who needs to happen for you to feel positive?
Finding the positives on 15:43 - May 4 with 1977 viewsDalenet

Finding the positives on 08:33 - May 4 by RooleyMoorBlue

The squad we have at present would struggle in the NL. The standard of the top dozen clubs are on a par with L2. Don't let the last home game fool you, as Sutton were clearly already on the beach and the sending off weakened them further. Other than Brierley and Rodney there isn't a single player I would keep for next season. We need a complete clear out, backroom and club staff included. There are far too many staff employed to do the job that two thirds of that number used to do.
Getting an experienced manager in place before the end of this month is essential or we will follow Scunthorpe United into oblivion.

A bit drastic that. I know we are all a bit down, but throwing everything and everybody away is a recipe for disaster and we are sure to follow Scunny if we do that. None of us know how the existing players contracts are written - does the relegation clause mean they get an automatic pay cut which would also allow them to leave if they choose? Rebuilding from scratch completely is a hell of a challenge for a club without a big infrastructure. Didn't Stockdale or his assistant say there was no support for recruitment etc?
Finding the positives on 16:41 - May 4 with 1873 viewsThreeLions

Finding the positives on 08:33 - May 4 by RooleyMoorBlue

The squad we have at present would struggle in the NL. The standard of the top dozen clubs are on a par with L2. Don't let the last home game fool you, as Sutton were clearly already on the beach and the sending off weakened them further. Other than Brierley and Rodney there isn't a single player I would keep for next season. We need a complete clear out, backroom and club staff included. There are far too many staff employed to do the job that two thirds of that number used to do.
Getting an experienced manager in place before the end of this month is essential or we will follow Scunthorpe United into oblivion.

I think somebody doesn't understand the objective of this thread somehow. Positive not top yourself !!
Finding the positives on 16:56 - May 4 with 1845 viewsA_Newby

Finding the positives on 13:40 - May 4 by D_Alien

It'd be interesting to look at the overall return rate, to see if there's a significant trend
[Post edited 4 May 2023 16:19]

There have been 34 teams relegated from the EFL since the 2004/5 season (Torquay and Grimsby twice).

Of these 4 (11%) have gone into administration and no longer exist.

Of the remaining 30, one, Luton Town, now plays in tier 2, the championship, 5 (17%) play in tier 2, EFL1, 8 (27%) play in tier 4, EFL2.

Cumulatively of the 30 teams that have been relegated since 2004/5 and not gone into administration 14 or 47% have returned to the EFL and play in league 2 or higher.

Of the remaining 16, 8 play in tier 5, the National league, and 8 play in tier 6 the National league north or south.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KdHJYveYchvs9Ijc9fHz49Yb3a6IjAeN/view?usp=share
[Post edited 4 May 2023 18:19]
Finding the positives on 17:29 - May 4 with 1768 viewsmikehunt

How many teams have bounced back at the first go?

The worm of time turns not for the cuckoo of circumstance.

Finding the positives on 18:02 - May 4 with 1721 viewsD_Alien

Finding the positives on 16:56 - May 4 by A_Newby

There have been 34 teams relegated from the EFL since the 2004/5 season (Torquay and Grimsby twice).

Of these 4 (11%) have gone into administration and no longer exist.

Of the remaining 30, one, Luton Town, now plays in tier 2, the championship, 5 (17%) play in tier 2, EFL1, 8 (27%) play in tier 4, EFL2.

Cumulatively of the 30 teams that have been relegated since 2004/5 and not gone into administration 14 or 47% have returned to the EFL and play in league 2 or higher.

Of the remaining 16, 8 play in tier 5, the National league, and 8 play in tier 6 the National league north or south.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1KdHJYveYchvs9Ijc9fHz49Yb3a6IjAeN/view?usp=share
[Post edited 4 May 2023 18:19]

Cheers

Following on from pioneer's point about the fate of more recently relegated teams, i'm wondering if it's more or less likely that a return is on the cards than previously?

It's taken Wrexham 15 years to find their way back, so another question is the average length of time it takes for those who do manage to return to the EFL

Must admit, i'm not inclined to work these things out but if anyone else is, it'd certainly be of interest
[Post edited 4 May 2023 18:59]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Finding the positives on 18:18 - May 4 with 1691 viewsA_Newby

Finding the positives on 17:29 - May 4 by mikehunt

How many teams have bounced back at the first go?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vf-VGTG2-_lSFR2rdyjZs6rBO2SgErCL/view?usp=shari

In the same time period three teams have bounced straight back into the EFL after one season.

Bristol Rovers 2014-5
Cheltenham Town 2015-6
Grimsby Town 2021-22

Grimsby have “escaped” from the National league twice in 6 seasons so could be a good club to investigate their strategy.
Finding the positives on 18:51 - May 4 with 1614 views49thseason

My perspective is that you stand a better chance whilst still picking up the payments from the EFL post relegation. Once they are gone we will need a sugar daddy like Accrington, Stockport etc.

The only way of avoiding long term decline is to have two core development initiatives, 1) to build the supporter base and 2) to develop off-field fund raising.

We could give away 1000s of free kids tickets for the next 5 years and be no worse off whilst building the habit of attending matches. Equally I believe we can raise upwards of £500k, maybe heading towards £1m a year with Gold Bond etc.

Even if the Board bring in an investor, I see no reason not to undertake both initiatives as a matter of urgency. We have seen what happens when the money starts to run out and its happening to many lower league clubs... the quality of players declines, the standard of football declines and then the fans start to fall away. Its a vicious circle of decline and we are on the first rotation. We need investment to break out of the circle but also we need to build a better club to ensure we dont start circling the plug hole again.

In some ways the biggest positive in our current situation is the realisation that there has to be a major shift in attitudes from the board downwards. We can all play our part and I sense there is a willingness to do more, we now need leaders to show the way and illuminate the path.
Finding the positives on 18:55 - May 4 with 1609 viewsA_Newby

Finding the positives on 18:02 - May 4 by D_Alien

Cheers

Following on from pioneer's point about the fate of more recently relegated teams, i'm wondering if it's more or less likely that a return is on the cards than previously?

It's taken Wrexham 15 years to find their way back, so another question is the average length of time it takes for those who do manage to return to the EFL

Must admit, i'm not inclined to work these things out but if anyone else is, it'd certainly be of interest
[Post edited 4 May 2023 18:59]

Since 2004 there have been 15 clubs (16 promotions as Grimsby have two) regain their EFL status. Fourteen of these clubs have kept their EFL status with Torquay United being re-relegated.

For the re-promoted clubs there has been an average of 5 years between relegation and promotion.
Login to get fewer ads

Finding the positives on 19:42 - May 4 with 1522 viewspioneer

Finding the positives on 18:55 - May 4 by A_Newby

Since 2004 there have been 15 clubs (16 promotions as Grimsby have two) regain their EFL status. Fourteen of these clubs have kept their EFL status with Torquay United being re-relegated.

For the re-promoted clubs there has been an average of 5 years between relegation and promotion.

That was the point I was intending to illustrate…in recent years there have been few teams bounce back quickly. Far More likely that teams spend several seasons in non league before returning.
Finding the positives on 14:23 - May 7 with 1093 viewsRooleyMoorBlue

Finding the positives on 09:04 - May 4 by leedsdale

If they’re the positives, pass me the razor blades.

Depends whether you want to live in the real world or cloud cuckoo land. The cha nces of us returning to the EFL at the first time of asking are remote at best.
Finding the positives on 14:46 - May 7 with 1063 viewsJames1980

A number of times Simon has talked about us having a club to support in ten years time. His aim to protect the club is great and indeed a positive. But it seems this has been to the detriment of the here and now.

'Only happy when you've got it often makes you miss the journey'
Poll: What does Jim need ?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024